Start by marking “One Red Sock” as Want to Read:
One Red Sock

One Red Sock

A little purple hippo faces a dilemma. While getting dressed one day, she realizes that she is missing a red sock. But as she searches throughout her sock drawer, she cannot find a suitable replacement. From blue to green and gray to white, nothing she finds will match. But does that really matter? This new picture-book offering from Jennifer Sattler (Bully) reminds reader ...more
Published August 15th 2019 by Sleeping Bear Press

To ask other readers questions about One Red Sock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Red Sock

Start your review of One Red Sock
Becky
First sentence: In a big pink chair in a room full of dots...sat a purple hippo wearing one red sock.

Premise/plot: The star of this new picture book is an adorable purple hippo. She is a frustrated hippo. She can’t find a match for her red sock. It is completely missing. So what is a hippo to do?! Will she throw a fit? Have a meltdown? Ask for help? Or brainstorm a solution all her own?

My thoughts: I recommend reading this one at least twice. The first time I read it, I was so wrapped up in th
Grayce Butler
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so cute!! I loved the rhymes. This would be an awesome storytime book!
Peter
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Excellent, fun color concept book! It would be fun for the reader to also wear only ONE red sock.
Carol Baldwin
This is the second book I've reviewed by author-illustrator Jennifer Sattler. Like BULLY, ONE RED SOCK also is light on text but full of bold, larger-than-life illustrations which will amuse young readers.

How many purple hippos do you know who live in a room full of colorful dots? And how many can't seem to find a red sock to match the one she already has on? Young readers will enjoy meeting this unique hippo, identifying colors, and learning the rhymes.

In the end, after trying out a rainbow of
Brittany
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My daughter absolutely loved this book. She thought that the hippo was just the cutest thing ever. She loved the colors and thought it was hilarious when she found where the other read sock had been hiding.
Julia
Fun rhyming book, great for a preschool storytime or a lapsit, especially if the kiddos are good at rhyming and can predict what color will come next. Cute and sweet, with large enough illustrations for a good-sized group.
Erika
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, picture-book
This friggin hippo is so cute.
Mary
You may have noticed that my grandmother gifts the girls absolutely delightful books for their birthdays and Christmas. When our younger daughter turned four in September, my grandmother sent her a wonderful choice in One Red Sock, even pairing it with some red socks! One Red Sock, written and illustrated by Jennifer Sattler packs a laugh-inducing punch while reinforcing color concepts for younger audiences and leaving older audiences with a strong life lesson.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
At its surface, One Red So
Melissa
Picture Book
One Red Sock, 2019

When a purple hippo wearing one red sock can’t find it’s matching mate, she starts looking for a fashionable replacement. She tries on several different colored socks, but none of them seem just right. The persistent hippo decides she will not let it ruin her day and continues searching through several more colored socks but slowly gets impatient with the task. Finally after some thought, she pulls on a polka dot sock and although it isn’t perfect, she likes that it
Katie
Dec 02, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The positive of this book is it is a new take on colors. Otherwise, it just doesn't work for me.
The idea is a hippo is wearing one red sock but wants to wear two socks. So they keep putting on random socks, hoping to find a match. Apparently, this hippo doesn't look at the socks before putting them on and doesn't consider taking the red sock off to find a complete pair.
The hippo is cute, but drives me crazy-I want to ask 'did you look at that before putting it on your foot? Why are you surpris
Rachel O'Donnell
This is a well-written book which teaches rhyming and colors and is great for the preschool crowd. It is fun to read and the illustrations are pleasing. The book follows the adventures of a hippo who can’t find a matching sock. As the book develops she loses patience but doesn’t lose her temper and instead makes the best of a situation.
This is an excellent book for toddlers and young preschoolers. The story is cute, the illustrations are adorable, there is rhyming and color recognition and it is written in a way that allows kids to complete the sentence with the rhyme/color. It is a relatively simple book, but really fun to read aloud.
Joanne Roberts
This was sweet and had a slightly surprising and very satisfying ending. A color-teaching, rhyming book for the very young, but one in which the reader will definitely want to guess the answer before the page turn. There were a few hiccups in the meter, but overall, a delight for very young kids. And the hippo is adorable!
Annese
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adorable! (I'm totally biased due to my love of clothing books - shoes, socks, hats, you name it). Will definitely be using this for toddler storytime AND making it into a flannel board story. Ahh, so cute. ...more
Melissa
This is one of my new favorite books. It can be used in storytime using the rhyme to guess the color. The illustrations are fun and the author has a great little note about perfectionism at the end. Love it!
Emma
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love it!! What a great read-aloud with colors, and rhyming, and guessing! Great for storytimes. The little purple hippo is just so cute and precocious - I love it! And I like the author's brief message in the endnote. ...more
Amanda
I wonder how this would do for a storytime? I have too much experience right now personally speaking with mismatched socks due to my beloved child and therefore might read this in a strange tone of voice.
My Life of Literacy
Adorable story to practice rhyming with children. Interactive and great for storytime! Little Hippo is trying to be fashionable and perfect and needs to find the correct sock. If at first you don't succeed, try again! ...more
Leah
A simple story about trying to find a matching sock and going through lots of other colours (and pattern) before getting it right. This would make a wonderful flannel/felt story.
Sylvia
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
Fantastic rhymes for story time.
Kids had a lot of fun with this one.
Allison
I love, love love love this new book! I already have plans to use it in my toddler storytime.
Lindy Schwartz
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful!
kim
cute, especially good for young preschoolers
Donna Mork
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rhyming, colors
This is an adorable book dealing with colors and missing socks. A cute hippo trying on different socks but none of them match. So cute the solution she came up with.
Megan Wagner
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
SUCH CUTENESS
Syntha Green
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This will be great at story time
Kelly
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So cute! And a great idea for a storytime book.
Colorado Buck
Hippos. Colors. Rhyming. Fun. Can have kids guess the color. Loved it.
Alison
A new storytime favorite!
Abby Johnson
This cute rhyming picture book would be good for a storytime about clothes or colors as a little hippo searches for her matching red sock.

• Who Wet My Pants?
  • A Polar Bear in the Snow
  • Don't Feed the Coos!
  • The Boy and the Wild Blue Girl
  • Outside In
Jennifer Sattler is the author and illustrator of several picture books including Sylvie, Chick 'n' Pug, Pig Kahuna, Chick 'n' Pug Meet the Dude, Uh-oh, Dodo!, and her latest, Pig Kahuna Pirates. After several years of teaching college students, she realized that her "inner goofball" needed to come out. Once she started making books for children, she was hooked. "I really am a 5-year old at heart, ...more