Jump to ratings and reviews

Trading Mentors: Learn Timeless Strategies And Best Practices From Successful Traders

“In Trading Mentors, Philip Teo, a long-time associate, interviews a number of highly successful traders; not searching for the magic bullet, but for insight, wisdom and practical guidance." - PETER L. BRANDT, CEO of Factor Trading and Author of Diary of a Professional Commodity Trader

"Trading Mentors is full of practical advice. The book covers methods that range from the discretionary, to the systematic, to the algorithmic trading approach. There was also a wealth of information on how to manage your trading risks and acquire a winning mind-set. In summary, this is the book that deserves a place on your bookshelf.” - RAY BARROS, Founder of BarroMetrics Trading School and Author of The Nature of Trends

“Trading Mentors by Philip is now one of the books I would recommend to anyone who wants to learn trading. The light-hearted conversational style of the book will keep the pages turning. A delightful read!” - NITHIN KAMATH, Founder and CEO of Zerodha

Kindle Edition

2 books4 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 30 reviews
1 review1 follower
January 23, 2019
This book contains very practical and down to earth information from having an edge in trading strategies to psychology of the traders' mindset. Written by successful traders using discretionary, systematic and algorithmic strategies. Highly recommended read for newbies to experts alike. Easy to read, Straight to the point. No fluff.
January 24, 2019
1. On Adam’s speech: I find it very “real” as it reflects most new and non-professional especially retail traders. We have the mentality of: “Yes the DOW up last night, so STI will go up” But we forgot that individual stocks behave differently.
2. I find his Risk management diagram and explanation very good for beginner and is easy to understand.
3. Very often we hear trainer/tutor mentioned, as Adam said, on the total sum of investment. But I have yet to hear anyone provide more detail explanation to clarify:
a. If 10,000 is my total investment sum, what constitute this 10,000, is it just for swing trade, or is it include all investments such as swing trade, long term investment, stocks and forex?
b. If this is total of all investment, then how do we manage the risk? (Say if it is at 2%), because for example, if we invested 2,000 on some stocks for long term investment, which mean we now have 8,000 for swing trade. Do we still consider the 2% risk on this long term investment as long term investment may vary more than 2%
c. Do we now base 2% risk on this 8,000 or still at 10,000?
d. If any of these long term investment has rights issues such as warrants and right, how do we treat the remaining 8,000?
e. Say if we spend another 1,000 to purchase any of this rights, will we take into consideration the 2% risk as in b above?
f. Do we now have 2% on the remaining 7,000 or do we still consider 2% on 10,000 for the remainder sum?
g. Last but not least, if we use CFD to trade, what is my total investment sum? Still 10,000?
4. If you can provide some insight to the above, I think will be of very useful to the readers and potential traders.
5. On the point of being emotionless and keep a clear mind on trades. I feel more in the sense that I am not not being able to control my emotion, but rather I think most non-professional traders are not really very good in understanding TA. When I come across a situation on the stock chart that I can’t interpret, I may then feel lost and emotion takes over. Maybe if this book can use some extreme charts as example, it may just help. For said of argument, I have the below chart which is real live, but how do I anticipate what will happen tomorrow? DO I sell or hold, is it still on a down trend for my short? I think such example will be of great value to us. (As per Nishant said: “No one knows what happens next…!
6. Page 129 talk about Mental Condition, I find this very useful. I wish I have this strong mental condition to deal with the emotions.
7. On Adam Grimes’ free training courses: Is there a link for use to connect to for any further updates and self-enhancement and is there an interest group to join?
8. On the discussion with Louise Bedford; I think these new findings can be useful. However, it will be more beneficial to the potential traders like us if some charts can be provided to illustrate the cases.
9. It would be good if an interest group be set up with all these renown professional traders to help advise us on trading strategies as well as individual stocks analytics from individual member.
10. There are so many “expert” traders cum trainers here in this book with their wealth of experiences. Is there a way for them to shares their expertise besides what were written in this book? Since practical hands-on experiences are equally valuable.
Profile Image for Miller Perez.
1 review2 followers
January 30, 2019
This is a trading book that is worthy of reading cover to cover. I use to read trading books and attend trading events, and I'm so grateful because I have gained a lot more profound insights from this book, the best by far, since the time I started trading. I got pure learning on new stuff. The book has also answered trading questions I should have been asking.

As I read across each mentor's chapter, I've encountered techniques that are intertwined; thus, it sinks more in my head. I also encountered the mathematics of risk management.  I learned something in almost every page, if not all of the pages. It's not like other highly-recommended suspense-filled trading books that will keep you waiting until you come across a page for you to learn.  It also contains up-to-date trading techniques from living experts in the global trading community.

The mentors have been generous in sharing their techniques and their trading journey. I felt I've made a great leap in my trading career after reading this book.

I also admire and commend the author's way of interviewing the mentors. He was able to extract juices of wisdom. This book gave me a trading master's eye view

It is an easy-to-digest book, yet it offers a strong foundation better than the typical basic, general and theoretical ones being offered around. This book equips a trader with a very good advantage. Some content is available around, but is explained way better in this book. Moreover, there are also a lot of good points that won't be found in other books.

If you are serious about trading and would like to endure the long journey, the wisdom you'll get here will strongly support you.
Profile Image for Himanshu.
74 reviews12 followers
January 28, 2019
Philip the author or rather the brain child behind this awesome initiative is well known in trading community as someone who is passionate about “teaching a man how to fish, rather than feed him a fish”. His other initiatives are testimony to this. Trading is a field of finance which has been made very complex with modern mathematical tools and theories. This book fills a gap by capturing thoughts of gurus who have "been there,done that". I would strongly recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn from other's experiences. The diverse coverage of trading gurus from student countries is a wise choice as it instils in the reader the self belief that yes they can also do it
Profile Image for Ajit.
2 reviews
February 10, 2019
This is an amazing book which covers compilation of interviews from successful contemporary traders from around the globe. They explain their journey to success and their experiences from which readers can learn. It also points you to the ample free resources made available by these experts. This book is a good starter for your trading journey. You can read through the common mistakes successful traders have made which you can avoid. It provides you the ideas and strategies that you can immediately used as a beginner. It's a must read before you go on to read other subject specific books. Interactive style of this books makes it very easy to read.
January 23, 2019
I have been following phillip (author) for awhile now and he never fails to amaze me with all the content, products he produces! When he released this book, i knew it would be another excellent product. This book is packed full of content and allows new traders to set off in the right footing in the world of trading. It not only provides strategies from successful mentors, but also teaches how crucial it is to get your psychological game strong! All in all, this book is definitely a must read for all traders out there, be it beginner or advanced traders. It will surely benefit you!
January 23, 2019
An extremely well written book that is very easy to read. It is a treasure that captures the precious thoughts of successful traders, giving the reader a jump-start on learning how to trade.

I wish there are more people like Philip who will interview Trading experts around the world, transcript them into text and publish them for all new aspiring traders to benefit from.

A definite must read book!
Profile Image for Trexie Belt.
5 reviews
February 22, 2021
Overall, it's worth it and easy to read! I have learned valuable insights from each of them. Tho, i expected that these 10 successful traders would give their specific strategies on technicals or funda but it turned out, only few of them gave their strats. But still, it's a great book. Aside from strats, they talked about risk mgt, money mgt, and emotional mgt.

Plan to read this book again and apply my learnings!!
February 4, 2019
An appropriately titled book. The contents deliver on the promise of the book's title.
For those still trying to figure out what type of trader they are then this book is a must have to get on the right track.
Those who have settled on a particular style, there is a wealth of valuable information that can help to fine tune your strategy.
January 23, 2019
Great book, this will set you off in the right footing. If you are a new aspiring trader or have been a long time trader, this book will provide the right mindset, strategies, and attitude towards trading. Learn from the experiences of all the mentors and all their different style!
January 24, 2019
Book is primarily made up of interviews with various traders around the world, where some strategies are shared and also the psychology behind trading. This would be a good beginner read to view the markets through the eyes of experienced traders.
1 review1 follower
January 28, 2019
This is "The Book" of great minds, written with all the wisdom and passion driven people that gives the heart of trading its real facts and reality. A very reader friendly book that every traders must have.
January 30, 2019
I am a new trader. This book really provides me with new insights in the world of financial trading. It does liberalize my horizon. Thanks Philip Teo for your hard work. I will apply the knowledge in Trading Mentors to my trading activity.
February 8, 2019
You cannot stop the future with its bag of opportunities from arriving. This book has in it experiences of some of the best traders out there and how they've had wooven their lives in preparing to grab that bag of opportunities.
March 14, 2019
This is a great book and a must for beginners. I found all the answers that I having been looking around. This is a great compilation of many successful trading educators. Many thanks to them and the author Philips Teo!
September 18, 2019
Very helpful book for people who are thinking about trading or struggling with trading. Bonuses that come with the book are of high value. Totally worth buying this book. A must read for beginner traders.
Profile Image for Pablo Lema.
11 reviews
February 23, 2020
Not about full time traders

Most of them are couch. The second interviewis very good and the last one with a real full time trader. The other ones are pabout people whom sell services
January 23, 2019
Trading Mentors book is very good for all the traders who want deep understanding, how professional trader trade. Thanks Mr. Philip for publishing such a nice book which will help millions of trader.
January 29, 2019
Hi All,

This is very wonderful book for every trader and who want to achieve financial freedom through trading. A must read by every trader, investor.
February 4, 2019
This is a breat book featuring several top trading mentors that I follow. And I’m especially proud because of them is a fellow Filipino- sir Edmund Lee. :D
Profile Image for Eyy Tanglao.
2 reviews
June 2, 2021
The book feels like it is talking to you. Gained knowledge not from technicalities but from experiences of several mentors.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
February 11, 2019
great book , it will shorten your learning curve and test different trading strategies from different traders that can fit with your personality or liftestyle .
September 4, 2019
Looks like verbatim reproduction of some webinar. All this book gives you is a song and a dance. Not many interesting takeaways.
Want to read
January 27, 2019
Recommend this book for those who want to know different approaches to get your trading on the right path. Successful traders like Dr Van Tharp, Jerry Parker and Andrea Unger are some of the people featured in this book.

A good buy with a lifetime precious knowledge for novice and advance traders/investors.
January 28, 2019
Its a trading guide for beginners to learn from these 10 mentors which covers all topics including trading psychology, risk management and trading strategy. I personally liked Bramesh Bhandari's chapter. And my favourite Rayner Teo also be part in this book.
Don't miss to read the Philip's reply to Sam about potential solutions to trading issues which may be useful for you to correct your mistakes
January 31, 2019
This book is highly recommended to all those who just started trading or professional traders. The book covers trading strategies, psychology and risk management techniques, written in a concise, yet clear manner for easy reading. Being a new trader myself, I think this is a great book to get all new aspiring trader off on the right footing. A must read book. Don't miss it!
Currently reading
February 7, 2019
This book contains wisdom of 10 different trading mentors. It is a book you should read if you are interested in trading. Be it a beginner or expert, you will gain some wisdom from the book. Highly recommended.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 30 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.