Start by marking “Deadly Little Scandals (Debutantes, #2)” as Want to Read:
Deadly Little Scandals (Debutantes, #2)

Deadly Little Scandals

(Debutantes #2)

"Think of the White Gloves like the Junior League-by way of Skull and Bones?"

Reluctant debutante Sawyer Taft joined Southern high society for one reason and one reason alone: to identify and locate her biological father. But the answers Sawyer found during her debutante year only left her with more questions and one potentially life-ruining secret. When her cousin Lily rop
Published November 5th 2019 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Little Scandals, please sign up.
Lynn There is a little romance in the book between Sawyer and Nick, but it is a very small part of the story.

Start your review of Deadly Little Scandals (Debutantes, #2)
mith
This book was fucking insane and I’m so confused. Y’all know that gif, the one where a dudes got red yarn all over a board, trying to solve a conspiracy? That’s this book. That’s me trying to understand this book.
Cristina Monica
Jul 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, thriller
3.5 stars. My head hurts. It’s like Jennifer Lynn Barnes is not okay with just one or two or three mind-fucking revelations. In her case, it’s the more, the better. And my brain is upside down. Don’t ask me to summarize this story for you because it’ll take me HOURS to explain these complex (and very messed up) relationships.

The first book was pretty crazy but this is a whole other thrill. I mentioned that Little White Lies is the perfect beach read. Deadly Little Scandals isn’t. Not unless you
Hollis
If I thought the first book in this series was wild, I didn't know anything. What a wild ride this truly was.

That said, things do veer towards the unreal and unbelievable but honestly it was still a really fun time. And also as long you read book one, and I don't know why you'd skip it, you'll be prepared for the kind of unreal and unbelievable things. But definitely not how far things will go or the surprises that are in store.

The hijinks are a little less light hearted and yet the way things r
Kimberly
First off, I have to say I love the cover of this book. It's sweet with a touch of sinister and I couldn't wait to see what Sawyer and friends were into again.

The debutante season is over but the mystery continues and now the girls find themselves invited to join the mysterious White Glove Society. Unfortunately, I didn't really care for that aspect of the book. As for the mystery itself, all questions do get answered but I found parts of it to be pretty far fetched. I thought I had to suspend a
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I adore pretty much all of Jennifer Lynn Barnes stories and when Deadly Little Secrets came out last year I was completely in love with it and couldn't wait to get my hands on Deadly Little Scandals.

It completely lived up to all of my expectations. With twists and turns galore and so many things that I simply just did not see coming, it kept me on my toes and completely, once again, immersed in the world of debutantes, the filthy rich, scandals, secrets, and where almost anything goes with those
Janet Newport
I've read Little White Lies (the previous book) and enjoyed it.

But this sequel left me totally addled.

Who's your Daddy?

Who's your Mama??

Who's your Sister???

Wait, were you just making out with your cousin?????

And your Grandma KNOWS?

2.5 stars rounded up (because... 'tis the season)
 Amelia
Okay, wow. What did I just read? No, but seriously, can someone explain? XD

I love a good twisty story as much as the next person, but maybe this was a tad too twisty? There were SO MANY characters, and I have a horrible memory, so it was a challenge keeping track of who was who and who did what. Not to mention all the flashbacks made my head explode. Then all the twists started happening and at some point it got a bit tiring. I mean, I spent the majority of the book like this:

Is this one relate
Samantha
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars.

Secret identical sisters who switch places! Illegitimate children! Black market babies! Several dozen other murky parentage plot lines!

National Enquirer headlines, or plot points from this book?

***

I’ll say this for Deadly Little Scandals: It certainly keeps you compulsively turning those pages. Unfortunately, it’s also a convoluted, difficult to follow mess, and fraught with all sorts of absurd soap opera elements that are too ridiculous to be believed and irritating to slog through.
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
“Think of the White Gloves like the Junior League - by way of Skull and Bones.”
Deadly Little Scandals returns us to the world of Southern High Society as Sawyer and her family navigate the Summer Lake Season with new secrets, revelations, and as always - scandals.

Things I Liked
This series has so much campy dramatic goodness. It’s addicting to read about this over-the-top world and the rigid social rules that they’re determined to break.

There is such a strong focus on f
Stacee
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had really enjoyed the previous book in this series and there was no way I was going to skip this one.

I love Sawyer and her girls. They’re snarky and loyal and sarcastic and I’m living for it. There seemed to be more characters this time around, but I could be making that up. I loved John David and would happily read a million more scene with him and William Faulkner.

Plot wise, it was a bit confusing. There are several time lines and the e-arc formatting was horrible. The build up was delici
Madison
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Deadly Little Scandals is the sequel to Little White Lies, and, if possible it is even better than its predecessor. More intrigue, more plots, bodies to uncover, secrets to tell, and twist after twist that you never see coming, because, seriously who else but Jennifer Lynn Barnes could conceive of such an idea and actually make it work. Deadly Little Scandals will thrill fans of the first book and keep readers on the edge of their seat.

When Sawyer accepted her grandmother’s terms last summer, sh
Grace
3.5/5, rounding up

This was a wild ride, not what I was expecting. It left me wanting a bit more closure at the end.
Jess
I would DEARLY love to know which soap operas the author grew up watching, because the end of this was straight out of soaps in the best possible way. Was it too much? Yes. Did I enjoy the hell out of it? Also yes.
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Now that Sawyer knows the identity of her father, she and her debutante buddies have a few other mysteries to solve.

The first half of DEADLY LITTLE SCANDALS was every bit as entertaining as book one, with Sawyer’s whip-smart narration and moxie. Somewhere towards the middle Jennifer Lynn Barnes’ latest book jumps the shark to ridiculous proportions. While I still enjoyed the ending, it was unnecessarily confusing and preposterous.

DEADLY LITTLE SCANDALS is definitely worth reading, especially if
 LEAH⇢
BOOK TAGS⤏ 3.5 STARS DEBUTANTES AND A SECRET SOCIETY SECRETS, LIES & MURDER A SOUTHERN SOAP OPERA YOUNG ADULT

MY THOUGHTS⇣

The narrator, Katherine Littrell has the perfect accent to set the atmosphere for this story flawlessly. But sometimes the twang she had going on was a little difficult for this Yankee to understand.

The blurb is spot on when it calls this twisty, soapy and gasp-inducing. While I found this to be totally entertaining I also found the many characters...all the who's mom
Melanie
Aug 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: yabrc
Deadly Little Scandals was better than the first book, but still not a favorite. I found the ending so confusing with all the twists. It was difficult to understand who was whom. lol! I liked that it was a quick read, but overall not my favorite Jennifer Lynn Barnes novel.

*contains some curse words
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
Maybe I'm dense, but I didn't see that twist coming.

RTC
Shae McDaniel
This entire book was just me flipping a page and shouting WHAT?!?!!?! and then flipping another page and shouting WHAT?!?!?!?! Absolutely buckwild.
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
You can find this review on my blog Shades of Paper.

I don’t know why, but Jennifer Lynn Barnes’ books are so freaking addicting and easy to get into that I had a feeling I was going to have no trouble whatsoever with this one. And after the events that happened in book one, I knew I had to pick it up.

Now, I feel that even though this one was a continuation of what happened after Little White Lies, the tone and the entire vibe of this sequel was pretty different. We had the same characters trying
Audrey
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another soapy, twisty, fun read in the Debutantes series and I gobbled it up just as quickly as I did with Little White Lies.

Sawyer, her cousin Lily and their inner circle of friends (and frenemies) are back. It's summertime so everyone retreats to their summer homes on Regal Lake and this time it's all about pledging the elite, yet Skull & Bones-ish, White Gloves.

Sawyer only solved some of her family mysteries in the first book of the series and she's committed to stay the course and keep tugg
Aly
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a great sequel!
This was just as crazy as the first book, full of secrets, lies, and people who aren't what they seem. Sawyer once again leads the investigation, this time into what happened to Ana and her baby. We see a lot of development for her and Lily through this, realizing who they are and what they want. Sadie Grace is my favorite character and I wish she had been in this a bit more. She's hilarious, not the brightest but genuine and will do anything for her friends.
The way the tim
Bickering Book Reviews
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
For a more in-depth review watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lewpl...

This was a fun follow up to "Little White Lies". It was fun to revisit the characters and their world. However, the mystery felt a little weak and the ending didn't quite work with the rest of the story. Fans of the first book will enjoy this but need readers may give up without finishing it.
Katherine Paschal
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense, mystery, teen
**More book thoughts can be found at https://smadasbooksmack.blogspot.com/

Sawyer thought she had experienced it all when her estranged grandmother coerced her to join the debutante season, but really she was just getting started. Sawyer is now keeping secrets from her cousin/best friend, not talking to her mama, has no idea what she wants to do with her future and refuses to be in a romantic relationship regardless of her heart. Add on the fact she is going through initiation to take part in a s
Haley • Fangirl Fury •
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars

Absolutely adored this one!!

My full mini review for Deadly Little Scandals is up on Fangirl Fury.
Leah
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one more than Little White Lies. Sawyer didn't annoy me as much this time. Sadie-Grace is still delightful, but she wasn't in much. The story jumps around a bit. Part of the story is in the past, and the rest is in the present jumping from Labor Day and the rest of summer. The mysteries were intriguing. I didn't think things would connect they way they did. Even though it was a bit ridiculous. The focus of the story is family and self.
Cait
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
This book... sure went places. I don't really know what I expected from this book, but it sure was not this. Never let anyone say Jennifer Lynn Barnes doesn't know how to hook you from one series to the next.
Anna Bright
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
w.o.w.
i have never read twists like this. i was gasping OUT LOUD. in public. it's amazing.
Eilidh Barker
I am still in shock, as a lot of this book was plot twist after plot twist after plot twist.

I loved the previous book, Little White Lies. It was funny, well written, and had me thinking about it constantly. Plus, it had enough twists for me to be shocked at each, but also still understand them all. This, however, was different.

(view spoiler)
selina ☾
Oh my lord. I have been bamboozled.

Not necessarily because this was the epitome of A Good Book, though it is good (to me anyway). I am bamboozled because just like when I mistakenly read the first book of this duology (I thought it was Big Little Lies, don't judge me), I have been blown over by the RIDICULOUS CLUSTERFUCK OF SCANDALS. And I effing love it?

I suppose this is just the part of my reading personality that really likes a good YA mystery that's both glamorous and funny, filled with ch
Lost in Book Land
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hello Again!

Deep breath, let's talk about this book. I just finished listening to this book which is technically my second time reading it. Now I did not post a review the first time because I felt like woah, I need to break out the yarn and the pictures and start making a crime board to unpack this family tree and some other things (which is definitely not a bad thing and made me love this book more). So I decided before we break out the crime board materials I would listen to the book and see
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• One Night Gone
  • All Your Twisted Secrets
  • Clique Bait
  • Scammed (Vale Hall, #2)
  • Hunting November (Killing November, #2)
  • The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3)
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • In the Hall with the Knife (Clue Mystery, #1)
  • Tuesday Mooney Talks to Ghosts
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • I Know You Remember
  • All the Bad Apples
  • My Fake Rake (Union of the Rakes, #1)
  • Love Lettering
  • Holidate (Dating, #3)
  • Color Me In
  • The Deceivers (Vale Hall, #1)
  • Killing November (Killing November, #1)
Jennifer Lynn Barnes (who mostly goes by Jen) was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma. She has been, in turn, a competitive cheerleader, a volleyball player, a dancer, a debutante, a primate cognition researcher, a teen model, a comic book geek, and a lemur aficionado. She's been writing for as long as she can remember, finished her first full book (which she now refers to as a "practice book" and which none ...more

Debutantes (2 books)
  • Little White Lies (Debutantes, #1)