Start by marking “Just Like Me” as Want to Read:
Just Like Me

Just Like Me

An ode to the girl with scrapes on her knees and flowers in her hair, and every girl in between, this exquisite treasury will appeal to readers of Dear Girl and I Am Enough and have kids poring over it to find a poem that's just for them.

I am a canvas
Being painted on
By the words of my family
Friends
And community

From Vanessa Brantley-Newton, the author of Grandma's Purse,
Published January 14th 2020 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Just Like Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Like Me

Start your review of Just Like Me
La Coccinelle
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, poetry
It's been so long since I was a kid. I'm not sure if this is the sort of thing kids would like. I'm especially not sure if it's something today's kids would like. As an adult, I enjoyed it and probably got quite a bit out of it. I'm just not sure of the appeal of free-verse poetry for the younger set.

What I really like here, though, are the illustrations. I've read other books written and/or illustrated by Brantley-Newton, and I've usually been impressed. Here, we have a diverse cast of female
Panda Incognito
This is the first 2020-published picture book that I have read. It features charming collage-style illustrations and poems about diverse girls and their various interests, thoughts, and feelings. I thought that it was nice, but it didn't grip me. Some of the poems were better than others, and I preferred the playful and thoughtful ones to the ones about Creating Change or fighting for rights, simply because the moral messages of this book were better suited to a different format and seemed vague ...more
Annese
This is a beautiful book! From the art, to the text, it was a wonderful read. I had the opportunity to hear Vanessa Brantley-Newton read some of her poems aloud, and it made the book even better - to hear her intended rhyme and phrasing throughout the book. Love!
Andrew
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations aren't the only bright and colorful part of this book-- these poems shine just as much. In Just Like Me you will find positive, affirming (and a couple bittersweet) poems relatable to any young girl; but they aren't just for girls. Gorgeous mixed-media/collage style art accompanies each poem, be it sweet, clever, or bold. This is a wonderful poetry collection that must not be missed!
Lynn
A book of enjoyable poetry for elementary age girls. Pleasant and entertaining and a book I’d love to read to my students.
Abby Johnson
I love Vanessa Brantley-Newton's vibrant illustrations. This empowering collection of poetry celebrates girl power and all the different kinds of girls that make up our wonderful country.
Amanda
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Positive, empowering, creative, and real. I loved the vibrancy of this book. Short and sassy and uplifting. Would love for girls everywhere to read this.
Amy Layton
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
With painted illustrations and an optimistic rhyming scheme,Just Like Me offers the reflection of experiences and feelings that many girls may have about their lives growing up. From living in the country to the city, with scrapes on their knees and flowers in their hair, there are moments in time which every girl shares the experience of wanting, embarrassment, and having all out fun.

I honestly didn't expect this book to be a collection of poems, but it was a wonderful surprise! The
Barbara
Girls make the world go round, and in a series of empowering verses, this book will make just about every one of them feel good about themselves. Some of the lines celebrate channeling one's inner warrior, choosing to be positive, friendship, honoring uniqueness, bemoaning pimples, drawing wisdom from a grandmother, and even coping with being left out by others. There's even a poem in which a city girl dreams of living in the country, and a country girl dreams of city life. The book concludes ...more
Michelle
Great representation of diverse races but not abilities.

With retro-collage folk art (gee, how many books this week have I read that are retro-collage folk art this month?) this book of gyno-centric poetry has hits and misses. People I shared it with and I agree that it's cute and some of the poems really shine (The Day I Decided to Become Sunshine would be a good poem for everyone, not just girls and I can relate to My Crown.) It addresses big issues like race relations and small issues like a
Shannon Hackney
This book is about the challenges and struggles that some girls go through. It also demonstrates the strengths and positives some girls go through. The wording in the book is very weird, however. It is poetry but it does not follow conventional poetry rules. That factor through me off but I believe it is meant to do that. To break the standards and show that even though something does not follow rules, doesn't make it inherently bad.
Abigail
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry-5
Wow what a great book of poems! The illustrations and colors are just beautiful. I enjoyed every poem in this book. They are all about accepting and loving yourself for who you are. This book is great for little girls of all kinds of backgrounds and families. There’s a poem about pimples, country/city girls, and bullies. My favorite poem was Explorer and Doorbuster. Great book!
HerBrina Shepherd
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely LOVED this book! From on of my favorite illustrators. Every little girl needs this book. My soul is happy and I have warm fuzzies because if the pictures and the poems from this book. Highlights all different types of girls and shows them it is ok to be who are no matter what.
Lisa K
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
Brantley-Newton's illustrations make me think of the pictures 1970s readers. In a good, up-to-date way!

Some predictable (even sappy) girl-power poems, but most are darling or daring or just awesome. See "Sundress Blues" and "Weird" and "All in Together Girls".
Melissa
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diverse-fiction
Really cool poems.
Maria Caplin
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Girl power in poetry! There is an opening for girls in at least one poem. Find yourself and see if you can connect would be my message as I share this on Poetry Friday.
Maeve
Beautiful illustrations.
Syntha Green
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Love, love, love the illustrations
Lindsey
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved the illustrations and the poetry.
Judy Ripke
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: previews, diversity
This book is wonderfully illustrated with diverse pictures of girls. Yet, the poems speak to universal themes that all girls know. A wonderful book for every girl.
Constance
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A gorgeous, inspiring book of poetry and art that speaks to all girls and covers a huge range of emotions and experiences. I highly recommend this book for your classroom or home library!
Bookish
Vibrant collage accompanies simple poems encouraging younger girls to see the beauty in their strengths and selves.
Edward Sullivan
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, picture-books
Uplifitng, celebratory poems about girls.
Halli
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
A bright, colorful, empowering collection of poetry that every girl (and boy) should read!
Doris Raines
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
LOVELY BOOK.
Lori
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations and beautiful poems.
S
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love the color palette for these illustration. The poetry is sweet and short - could be a read aloud book or used for individual poems.
Great Books
This poetry collection is a celebration of diverse, young girls exploring many different themes with beautiful, colorful illustrations. “Thoughtful, inclusive, and celebratory, this collection encourages readers to look both inward and outward, and to use kindness as a link to “go/ higher and higher/ pulling each one up.”reviewer #7
Annalisa

• Saturday
  • The Serious Goose
  • Paper Son: The Inspiring Story of Tyrus Wong, Immigrant and Artist
  • Magnificent Homespun Brown: A Celebration
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Black Is a Rainbow Color
  • Small in the City
  • I Am Perfectly Designed
  • No More Naps!: A Story for When You're Wide-Awake and Definitely NOT Tired
  • Emergency Kittens!
Vanessa Brantley Newton attended both SVA and FIT of New York, where she studied fashion and children’s illustration. An artist swathed in retro chic, she loves all things vintage – especially books and clothes from the 40s through the 60’s – and it shines through in her designs, which run the gamut of fun and whimsical to stylish and sophisticated. She loves to add unique touches to her work, ...more