Start by marking “The Man on the Mountaintop: An Audible Original Drama” as Want to Read:
The Man on the Mountaintop: An Audible Original Drama

The Man on the Mountaintop: An Audible Original Drama

The Man on the Mountaintop tells the story of Holy Man Joe, an ageing and unassuming man who lives in a hermitage on top of a mountain. During the summer months, thousands of hopefuls line the single-file path leading to his door, seeking his wisdom. From bombastic, wealthy nobles intent on cheating their way to the top to drunkards who gradually build the physical and men ...more
Audible Audio, 6 pages
Published November 9th 2017 by Audible Studios

Start your review of The Man on the Mountaintop: An Audible Original Drama
Kimberlie
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You absolutely MUST get the Audiobook version. Not only is it a great cast, but it's how books SHOULD be heard... in full drama.

I read this as an Audible offering with only a mild interest, and primarily for narrators Stanley Tucci and Toby Jones. I figured I'd listen to the first couple of chapters and drop it if it wasn't interesting. Wow was I wrong!

I was hooked early on. I loved the allegorical visits of pilgrims to the holy man. Delightfully charming and funny. I nearly got out my pen to jo
Brian
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: listened, audible
I truly loved this full cast production! One of the better things I've listened to. Simple and inspiring without being overly preachy. I recommend it extremely highly!
Clara
Feb 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Crate & Barrel enlightenment so condescending and smug that I had to finish it just to smugly criticize it. ...more
Alaina
Apr 09, 2020 rated it liked it
The Man on the Mountaintop was an interesting audible original. It was filled with short chapters and an entertaining cast of narrators. The only thing I hate about these audibles is that they are way too short. Definitely wished it was a smidge longer so that I could enjoy it more.

That being said, I still enjoyed it. I think Stanley Tucci's did a great job with what he had.. I just feel like it was missing something. Or maybe I'm just used to zoning in and out of books nowadays. Damn this quar
Cheryl
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audible
This was an Audible original. I chose this book because Stanley Tucci is the narrator, and I'm a big fan of him as an actor. This audiobook features a full cast. Mr. Tucci's narration was enjoyable, and most of the full cast was good as well. However, the storyline became dull and plodding from about the midpoint on. I stuck with it, thinking it would pick up again as it progressed, but it didn't.
Lydia Ortiz
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
The first half was interesting, but I found the so-called enlightened community was shallow and egotistical in the end.
Mike
Mar 09, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So so very bad. If you follow Gwyneth Paltrow for her spiritual advice, you might find some value here. But otherwise avoid this mess of pop culture spiritualism.
Wiebke (1book1review)
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I really enjoyed this full cast adaptation. It was very calming, not stressing and at some points thought provoking.
Kaye
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"The Man on the Mountaintop" is a charming story about a holy man named Joe who lives in a hermitage on top of a mountain in an undisclosed country. People come from around the world seeking his guidance and advice. The first part of the story consists of vignettes of different character's encounters with Joe. Some interactions are hilarious, some are inspirational, and all contain interesting insights about being kind to each other and seeing every person as a holy person.

The story develops foc
ShoSho
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: x-2019, own, audio
wow
Libby
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
‘The Man on the Mountaintop’ is an audible original written by Susan Trott and adapted by Libby Spurrier. A delightful and engaging tale about people on a quest for holiness. Joe, a quiet and humble monk lives atop a mountain in a hermitage. Every year, people will make the trek up the mountain in search of answers to their most pressing problems. The journey itself becomes a pilgrimage; often they find answers before they ever meet Joe. These men and women come from all walks of life, from vete ...more
Matt Cannon
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a good book to understand the power of redemption. The story shows the power spiritual leaders can have on many people’s life-long journeys. This was another selection from the free Audible originals for the month of January 2019. I picked it out at random and feel that I learned a lot from it. Lessons such as “the opposite of love is not hate, but envy”. I’ve heard the opposite of love is indifference before, but I like how the story explains envy as the true opposite. This book covers ...more
Penny
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Audible Audio)

The Holy man lives atop the mountain and every day that the mountain is passable, a line forms in front of his house with people waiting to meet him, learn from him. The line is long, and it can sometimes take days, or even weeks to get your turn with the Holy Man.

Joe (the Holy man) is a trickster and teaches wisdom in unexpected ways. He's an unexpected guru and his process for handling visitors is delightful.

For much of the book, we meet the people in line and listen to their s
Tara
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This audiobook selection was so incredibly inspiring and uplifting to me that I bought a friend of mine an audible membership so that she could have the opportunity to enjoy this as much as I have.
A Holy man rests in his space upon the mountain and the people come to see him, gain insight from his wisdom and learn to see themselves in a whole new light. This is done so beautifully that I didn’t feel preached at... instead I had many an “aha” moment. I didn’t feel criticized or guilty ... However
Graeme Newell
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightful book that was more akin to a radio play than an audio book. Multiple voices and impressive performances by Stanley Tucci and Toby Jones make this short book a delicious treat.

This simple parable tells the story of pilgrims making the climb to a mountaintop to seek the advice of a wiseman. Each pilgrim pours out his heart, revealing a distressing life struggle. Skillfully and with great compassion, the wiseman guides them in a healing revelation to ease their pain.

The book reminds
Michael Huang
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written story competently adapted. The holy man is kind, calm, funny, and wise. His wisdom seems to rub off on you even if you are just listening to his story.
Elizabeth (Lizzy)
Jan 28, 2019 marked it as dnf
Shelves: audiobooks
I had to dnf this book, cause it's so freaking boring. I'm glad it was a free audiobook.
Kenadee Hatch
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was looking for a gentle reminder of the good in the world. I came across this story & wasn't disappointed. Treat all people as holy. ...more
Sharon Conty
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great, heartfelt book that will leave you feeling good and hopefully a little wiser.
Patti
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW. I needed this book at this time. Stanley Tucci is an amazing narrator. Perfect for this book. Very insightful and uplifting listen. Has a very Paulo Coelho feel. Be nice to people.
Chalay Cragun
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is better than a lot of the audible originals I've listened to. I am a sucker for a good philosophical tale that makes you think. This one was also preformed quite well.
Michael Miller
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
Well, this is hard for me to review. Most reviews of this drama, which is certainly well produced, acted, and narrated, are completely positive. This is a dramatization, as I understand it, of several related novels by Susan Trott. Overall, I like it, although I agree with some negative reviews that the advice dispensed by the wise man, Joe, is at times, simplistic and "fortune cookie" like.

The genre, inspirational fiction, is what I think of as "wisdom" books. Paolo Coelho writes "wisdom books
Brittany's Pages
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible, audiobooks, 2019
The Man on the Mountaintop is one of the most inspirational books I’ve ever read/listened to. This little book is full of life wisdom and practical application.

There is a man on top of the mountain called The Holy Man. He is essentially a hermit monk who spends the majority of his time alone except when accepting visitors. People from all over the world make the pilgrimage to attempt to get a few minutes with The Holy Man.

The largest part of this experience and the way the pilgrimage is set up i
Jim
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
At first, I debated about the rating...3 or 4? 'Four' because it's a pretty good (radio) audio drama, as advertised, using voice actors who can add nuance to the dialogue and personality to the characters...or a 'three' for those very same reasons. A good 'read' allows the reader to participate and interpret and come to their own conclusions as to how the characters speak and act.

Then, there was a part of me...and this is where a person spoiler alert is advised...that a rating of 'five' is warra
Gaufre
Mar 05, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Fast and easy illusions of wisdom. Stories are simplistic and forced.

The one thing I found amusing was that the holy man was named « Joe ».
Jenny
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wise and holy man lives most of the year in solitude atop a high mountain. During the spring and summer months, monks come to live with him and a months-long line forms to meet him and seek his wisdom.

The first part of the story focuses on the people in the line, their struggles, and how the holy man helps them. The second part focuses on the holy man's journey off the mountain to meet and help his dying teacher.

At first, I found the lessons and parables to be inspiring if a bit simplistic. B
Michael Morris
Ugh. That is what I said to myself over and over as this book pondered along. Undeniably goofy, by any standards, and fake spirituality. Untenable situations. Unbelievable characters. I just kept r0lling my eyes.

The performance, however, was well done, and that helped. And there were a few pockets of interesting dialogue or pieces of description. But I sure wasn't interested in reading the two books this is based on.
Regina Mahaney
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ok so I don’t often do a review and only listened to this because I was 2 days away from an Audible Credit and this was free and needed something to listen to during a long boring drive. I’m usually a murder mystery thriller type but I actually found this book to be very enlightening and more of a motivational read over entertainment. Some great advice for mankind from every walk of life. I added several quotes to my journal!
Logan Graham
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
The book started off excellent! However I felt like halfway through it just start to slow down and wasn’t as interesting to listen too. It felt like the book should have ended way before it did.
Cierra
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Standard lessons in being a decent and good person thinly veiled in a story. Not awful, then narration and background audio was good, but overall it wasn’t fantastic.

• Second Skin
  • The Life and Times of Prince Albert
  • Sea Wall/A Life
  • How to Build Meaningful Relationships through Conversations
  • The Getaway
  • A Murder of Manatees (Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent, #2)
  • The Flying Flamingo Sisters