Start by marking “Out in the Deep (Out in College, #1)” as Want to Read:
Out in the Deep (Out in College, #1)

Out in the Deep

(Out in College #1)

Derek Vaughn is a little too serious. He’s a type A control personality with a penchant for order and a love of water polo. But he’s determined to enjoy his last year of college. The real world with a serious job and big expectations can wait for a few months. He’s going soak up every minute on campus with his friends and teammates before he moves on. The only possible kin ...more
Audible Audio, Unabridged, 5 pages
Published January 17th 2019 by Lane Hayes (first published August 26th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Out in the Deep, please sign up.
Xanthe I have't read the original but I know that it's longer and has been expanded. More story to it and I really enjoyed it. I think there's 100 more pages…moreI have't read the original but I know that it's longer and has been expanded. More story to it and I really enjoyed it. I think there's 100 more pages so a lot more happens than in the original(less)

Start your review of Out in the Deep (Out in College, #1)
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
I have to be honest, as much as it pains me.

*deep breaths*

I didn't like this book.

There, I said it.

I love Lane Hayes' work and have five-starred many of her books, but Out in the Deep just didn't work for me.

I found the first-person POV to be limiting. Since Derek was the sole narrator of the story, I didn't really get Gabe. This narrative style is the author's signature, and I'm usually fine with it, even though I much prefer a dual POV. This time, though, I longed for a two-person perspect
Shile
Michael Pauley gets 5 stars. His enthusiastic and emotional narration got me through this story.

The story gets 2 stars. Ugh! it had potential but the characters read like high school students.

Derek and Gabe had some chemistry but it was not that explosive, though they had some hot smexy times.

Drama llama with Derek's ex was unnecessary. Why can't we have a female character who is not a vindictive bitch. We are not that bad. We get over being dumped, not every woman is Regina George!

description

Overall it
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*3.5 stars*

A romance with two bisexual athletes? Yes, please!

I haven't read a Lane Hayes book in some time, mostly because she is so nice in real life that it would crush me to hate her stuff. I didn't hate Out in the Deep, and I even really loved it at times, even though the dreaded I'm breaking up with you for your own good happened near the end (ugh).

Out in the Deep is a really sweet story with relatively low angst, which is nice for a closeted guy plotline (two closeted guys here). I wasn'
.Lili.

Out In the Deep by Lane Hayes is precisely the type of story I enjoy getting lost in. It's about two college athletes who are still closeted. While at first, they have a massive rivalry they soon have to find a way to work together since they both end up playing for the same team--> in more ways than one. :D

Highlights:

-I love New Adult but admit to steering clear of them because sometimes authors throw so many problems that the angst feels unnecessary and forced. Derek and Gabe both have iss
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
I was a bit worried about this one, based on a few friends reviews. And I do get where they were coming from.

Books where one of the characters is in the closet is normally not my jam. I don't care for the sneaking around, the lying, the pretending in public, etc.

I didn't like how Derek reacted to Gabe in the beginning, so I was super afraid I wasn't going to like him. I also didn't realize Gabe was also in the closet at that point. Oddly enough that helped.

And yeah, they acted a bit immature
Renée
Just not feeling it. They're reading as too young for me.
Cadiva
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lane hits the jackpot once again with the kind of new adult romance she does so well - low angst, seriously steamy and based on a great friendship.

I loved this one with Derek and Gabe and their water polo rivalry which exploded into a passionate relationship. Each character was crafted with care and I loved Derek's anal retentiveness and Gabe's dedication to not only his sport, but to being a good person.

There's a great set of secondary characters too and the setting sprang to life in vivid pict
Eva ☆
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know, I know, the covers of the books in this series are kinda ugly but the stories are so cute! Each book has a couple, the books are totally "gay for you" trope, there are many people who don't like this trope but these books are worth it just for the amount of cuteness!

In this first book we have Derek and Gabe, they practice water polo which I found fun and interesting, I never read any book in which the main characters practiced this sport. They compete against each other, for Derek, Gabe
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Oh. My. God.

Seriously. I freaking loved this book. L-O-V-E-D it!

So I started this on my commute this morning and then could not put it down. But I had to. So I kept going to the bathroom to read a couple pages but realized I was in the bathroom stall with a freaking crazy grin on my face.

Then I finally got to leave work and finished this on my commute home and probably looked like an insane crazy person.

Guys, I smiled and smiled and smiled.

Seriously.

It was a little awkward to feel this good.

And
Mindy
This book was so cute. I loved all the characters, and hope to see more out of the series. It was a nice light read and made me smile.
BWT (Belen)

This was surprisingly (at least to me) angsty, and I honestly wasn't expecting it. Told entirely from Derek's POV, I would have preferred to have Gabe's POV as well. There were a couple of elements I don't personally care for in books, namely Derek's ex drama, and some miscommunication, and that's just not my cuppa.

I liked the narration overall, especially as Michael Pauley uses distinct character voices and paces well, but I really think getting Gabe's POV would have made this a much higher ra
Eugenia
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super sweet and Sexy!! 3.5 Stars!!

The beginning of this OFY story was a little wonky, but things soon leveled out and the fun began!

Our water polo college boys were HOT and ADORABLE. There wasn't much to them, really, but I liked them nonetheless. Aside from internal worrying over labels, this was a very low angst book.

Included: first kiss, water polo high jinx, fun at the beach, loss of cherry (pain-free, of course), coming out, and an HFN.
Edga
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful story. No real angst, just lots and lots of falling in love. I adored both Gabe and Derek, they just fit. Derek was such a hot mess, he made me laugh, but I loved his reaction to his obvious attraction to Gabe. Nothing was rushed, their relationship was so organic, I found their snuggliness adorable. As usual, with Ms Lane, the dialogue and the pace of the story was spot on.

If you want what ultimately is feel good story, I highly recommend this. It's a perfect start to a new s
DepictonFiction
Two star because I didn’t ‘feel’ it. I like the work of this author but this one was, for me, a slip of the pen.
Immature MC’s, the development of the relationship.... everything felt wrong.
Gabi
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the chemistry between the guys. It was hot. But the rest was meh. Too short and not enough space to properly set up the story.
Jules Lovestoread
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I ended up really liking this a lot. I completely adored both MCs, and I enjoyed their story. Full review coming to www.thenovelapproachreviews.com ...more
Bev
3 stars from me. College boys who are athletes don't seem to be that different from frat boys as far as partying and drinking are concerned, but what do I know?? Couldn't wait to get away from school myself and earn some money, but back to the story....isn't the bisexual guy being done to death at the mo?? And we have two of them in this story, a kind of enemies to lovers thing.

Not my fave Lane story tbh, and I have to admit I'm getting pretty fed up of rich, white and entitled dudes in stories
haletostilinski
4 solid stars!

RTC...

~*~

After reading some reviews before reading this, I was wary to start it. It seemed like this was shaping up to be not as strong as Hayes' other books. But for me, it didn't turn out that way. I think that sometimes reviews are just differing opinions - which is totally fine! - but they're still great to read to get a general sense of the story and characters and if there is anything to warn about that the blurb didn't bother to.

But for this book, I didn't need to worry tha
Leslie
I liked books one and two of this series but not as much as books three and four.
Shannon

Such an adorably sweet read! Derek and Gabe are so darling, I love them! This was a really easy, fun summery story. No real angst or drama, but filled with lots of feels. I hope we'll get to see more of these two in the coming books!

While this is definitely a light-hearted read, Ms. Hayes really brought home how odd, and honestly sad, it is that those who aren't heterosexual have to "come out", that they just can't date who they want without it becoming this huge deal. Not that it was made into
Bridie
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A mostly unsuccessful coming out story.

While I liked this one, it had too much missing for me to truly say I enjoyed the ride. It was a very complex mess at times, leaving a lot of loose threads (girlfriend, disapproving parents, national team: all underdeveloped throwaway plot devices that went nowhere). I really felt like I was missing a whole half a story without Gabe's POV.
Kitty
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-adult, epub, sports
a no brainer
low on drama
perfect for this gray day
but a tad too much sex for me.
Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
3.5 stars.

Sweet, low-angst read. Features a bisexual character which is a refreshing change. My only quibble is that I'm not a huge fan of "in the closet" stories which this is. That said, Lane Hayes is the author so it was a well written and engaging story. Recommended!
Ay
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maybe-not
Not great. The story was focused on Derek’s inner process around attraction to a man, falling in love with him and the change in identity and how he fit into the world.

..except we never really got to know him. They all seemed a bit young for 23 years old.

And no one was particularly interesting.
Amanda
This sport novella is simply perfect. It might be short, but definitely showcased a solid relationship development that packed a solid punch. It has a cute theme of sexual discovery, awkward male crush, plenty of sexy times and a little dose of reality/challenges with being a new adult.

Derek and Gabe are water polo nemesis. Derek couldn't stand Gabe's smug face and their tends to get on each other nerves during the games. But things took a different turn when Gabe joined Derek's collegiate team
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie

5 Stars

This is one of those books where I ask myself, “Why did I wait so long to read it”? It was wonderful and I absolutely adored both Derek and Gabe and they were amazing together. I thought their relationship and Derek’s acceptance and exploitation of his bisexuality felt natural and authentic. I loved the pace at which their relationship moved.

These two men were sweet, perfect and they just fit. I can’t say enough how much I absolutely adored this book and I’ve already dived into Out in th
Barb ~rede-2-read~
ARC provided by the publisher through Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words in exchange for an impartial review.

Derek Vaughn is captain of his college water polo team, a competitive, type-A-everything-in-order sort of guy, plus he’s gorgeous and a natural leader. He rarely loses his temper, as he tends to think things through, but damn, put him in the water with Gabe Chadwick as his opponent and he sees red. In his opinion, Gabe is egotistical, a smartass, and willing to do whatever it takes to wi
Elizabeth
I enjoy this author's work and this book is not bad, but I can't give it more than 3 stars.
1. EX-DRAMA - this is getting old in all books, but it stood out here. Just please let's stop with this.
2. The closet - College is probably one of the few places you can be where coming out isn't that big of an issue. I think this is also becoming an overused theme especially in reference to athletes.
3. Maturity - high school and college are two different things and the maturity level reached in college i
Nadine Bookaholic
You can see this and other Reviews I have written along with various cover reveals, excerpts, and giveaways here Nadine's Obsessed with Books

Lane Hayes is a fairly new to me author having only read one of her books prior to this one, so I really didn't have a true sense of her writing style yet but I did know I enjoyed the first book I had read/listened to so I decided to dive into this series when the opportunity arose and I am glad I did.

I really like the way the author took two guys that
keren davidi cohen
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm
Such an adorably sweet short read.
there is No real angst or drama
This book was full of emotion and sexual tension and out of this world chemistry between the characters
The Author brought the right amount of water polo and romance in this book.
A perfect book for the summer season.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Power Plays & Straight A's (CU Hockey #1)
  • Try Me (Extracurricular Activities, #2)
  • Say You’ll Be Nine (Say You'll Be Nine, #1)
  • Fakers
  • Spring Strings
  • Spotlight (Famous #2)
  • Giving Chase (Havenwood #1)
  • Hardwood (Four Bears Construction, #3)
  • The Stopping Place
  • Just Friends (Never Just Friends, #1)
  • Charlie Sunshine (Close Proximity, #2)
  • Pop Star (Famous #1)
  • Virtually Screwed (Love & Luck #2)
  • Project Hero
  • Marry Me (Tattoos and Temptation #1)
  • Nailed (Four Bears Construction, #2)
  • After Felix (Close Proximity, #3)
  • Screens Apart
Lane Hayes is grateful to finally be doing what she loves best. Writing full-time! It’s no secret Lane loves a good romance novel. An avid reader from an early age, she has always been drawn to well-told love story with beautifully written characters. These days she prefers the leading roles to both be men. Lane discovered the M/M genre a few years ago and was instantly hooked. Her debut novel was ...more

Out in College (7 books)
  • Out in the End Zone (Out in College, #2)
  • Out in the Offense (Out in College, #3)
  • Out in the Field (Out in College, #4)
  • Out on the Ice (Out in College, #5)
  • Out in Spring (Out in College, #6)
  • Out on the Serve (Out in College, #7)

News & Interviews