Start by marking “Double Cross Blind” as Want to Read:
Double Cross Blind

Double Cross Blind

3.17  ·  Rating details ·  148 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
December 1, 1941It is seven days before the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor. Days that are numbered for Sondegger, a Nazi spy captured in London while on a mission to take down the Twenty Committee, a German network of spies the British have turned.For American Tom Wall, the days have run together as he awakens to find himself locked in a British military asylum. Wounded and ...more
Published July 25th 2006 by Anchor Books (first published March 14th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Double Cross Blind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Double Cross Blind

Tyler
Oct 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
Synopsis: The early days of December 1941 were eventful in the United Kingdom. The Allies have captured a Nazi spy who was trying to infiltrate and take down their own spy network. At the same time, an American who had enlisted with the Canadians in order to fight in the war is locked in a British Military Asylum, but may be just the person the British need in order to get information out of their captured Nazi spy.

My Review: Ok, I gave this book the old college try. In fact, I made it through m
Samantha
Nov 16, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: spy novel fans
Shelves: spy-novels
First of all, let me just say I'm a sucker for a book with a swastika on the cover. So when I saw this one at my local bargain bookstore, I had to buy it.

Unfortunately, I was a little disappointed by it.

It started of promising: An American, Tom Wall, is in what, for all intents and purposes, is a sanitarium. He's an insomniac who has a fixation on his older brother, Earl. See, he's convinced Earl, who works for the COI (precursor to the CIA), is a traitor who is the reason why Tom's squad was de
Feliks Łukasiewicz
*Review may contain spoilers*

The first chapter didn't introduce Tom, the main character, properly. In this story, it has way too many side stories that makes the reader tend to loose interest. I give this two stars because I did enjoy a bit of Tom's story, escaping the asylum to interviewing the Nazi spy, especially when he was discovered as being Thomas and not his brother. I've never cared for Harriet's side stories. I've convinced myself that I would read all 37 chapters but I gave up at chap
Maggie
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great thriller set in WWII. The secret service are trying to find a mole who may be putting their spies in jeopardy. At the same time a nazi captive is manipulating things in order to find the very same people. He is also trying very hard to alert the USA to the fact that Japan is trying to enter the war against them, a circumstance that could very well work against the Nazis since it would bring the USA to Europe as well as the Pacific. He uses a young american serviceman who volunteered to j ...more
Bill
Aug 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A British thriller about the days leading up to the attack on Pearl Harbor. Many historical references that I'm not smart enough to know if they are accurate or the author is not talented enough to help me know. Maybe it doesn't matter in the end, but that, with the long, meandering storyline and the array of characters that are difficult to care much about mean I can't recommend this.

I don't want to sound too harsh; especially if this is a genre you like, you'll probably be OK with the book, al
Carmen
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another spy book set in World War II. In this one, a man finds himself in a British military asylum. A man from intelligence comes to visit him. He wants to know if Tom Wall will pretend to be his brother and get some information from a captured Nazi spy. And then things go terribly wrong. The author is able to mix political saavy with good character development. At the end, you wonder what would have happened if this one event was different. How would the dominoes have fallen?
Nigel
Apr 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Whilst this had the storyline and imagination to be a four star book it was let down by the mid Atlantic narrative (this is what you get for "Yanks' doing Limeys') and the slight dissonant feel to it. Unlike many other readers, I was happy with the characters, I just felt there was a lack of natural flow and while I enjoyed the story, ultimately I felt a slight disappointment.
Drew
Apr 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a very well written spy novel. Set during the waining days of 1941 when Britain is in danger of losing its greatest weapon combating the Nazis. If this weapon is lost Germany will have nothing to stop it from ruling Europe. The fate of Britain's wonder weapon lies in the hands of a cripled American soldier who is fighting for the British.
Lemar
A fast paced page turner brings the reader into the tangled world of WWII just before Pearl Harbor. The very real scenario of the U.S. staying on the sidelines had that attack not occurred is cleverly explored through the actions of authentic characters.
Jason
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I think I loved this book. It's sort of a le Carre (by way of David Mamet) take on WWII espionage. It clips along, doesn't tie things up in a neat bow, and relies on very little hand-holding with the context. (I'm guessing that's why so many don't like it.)
Jerald
Apr 15, 2014 rated it liked it
ok
Chuck
Jun 08, 2010 rated it did not like it
A recuperating American soldier in England in 1941 is coerced into
negotiating with a Nazi spy. Too tedious for me. Didn't finish.
Chuck Wallace
Feb 04, 2014 rated it liked it
a little hard to keep the characters straight which makes this a very slow read
Joel Ungar
Sep 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Written by an American (I believe) that is trying to sound like a British writer. Decent.
Mike
Mar 10, 2009 rated it did not like it
Hated it. disjointed, confusing and not much there. I would give it negitive stars.
Clyn
Oct 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Entertaining read. Made me think about what it must have been like to live during wartime when the war is not fought on the other side of the world.
Clark
Sep 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Hitler's Peace
  • The Creed of Violence
  • Masters of War (Danny Black, #1)
  • Miss Fortune (Allie Fortune Mystery #1)
  • The King's Favorite
  • The Italian Lover
  • The Painting
  • The Information Officer
  • Bluffing Mr. Churchill (Inspector Troy, #4)
  • Canto for a Gypsy
  • The Once and Future Spy
  • Dead Low Tide
  • Heaven's Command: An Imperial Progress (The Pax Britannica Trilogy, #1)
  • Jack Absolute  (Jack Absolute, #1)
  • The Hostage (Stratton, #1)
  • Lord Byron's Novel: The Evening Land
  • The Fallon Blood (Fallon, #1)
  • Immediate Action
Joel Ross is the author of two World War II thrillers for adults (Double Cross Blind and White Flag Down). The Fog Diver is his tween debut. He lives in Santa Barbara, California, with his wife, Lee Naftali, who is also a full-time writer, and his son, Ben, who is a full-time kid.
More about Joel N. Ross

• Big Breasts and Wide Hips
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
  • The House Girl
  • Mosquitoland
  • Just a Couple of Days
  • An Irish Country Love Story
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Whiz Mob and the Grenadine Kid
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Vagrants
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone