Start by marking “Welcome to Spicetown” as Want to Read:
Welcome to Spicetown

Welcome to Spicetown

(Spicetown Mysteries #1)

When a crime stopper senior citizen starts to act oddly, a new business sells fake products and the New Year’s Eve fireworks display disappears, Mayor Cora Mae Bingham and the Spicetown Police Chief Conrad Harris have to get involved.

Cora keeps an eye on her quaint small town nestled in the southern hills of Ohio. Although Spicetown is sprinkled with culinary street names,
Published February 12th 2019 by Independently Published

To ask other readers questions about Welcome to Spicetown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welcome to Spicetown

Start your review of Welcome to Spicetown
Jackie
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful story that has you gripped. There’s mystery and seniors to make this one outstanding book. The narrator definitely adds to the story.
Carol
The quaint town of Spicetown can be
located in Ohio’s southern hills. The
street names are culinary, spices fill
the stores and most residents are live
long abiding citizens.
A new store has opened called Ivy’s
Oils & Organics. It is an interesting shop
selling all types of oils for different
ailments such as marjoram mixed with
either wintergreen or peppermint to
relax muscles for joint pain, cypress is
used to help clear and calm the mind
while chamomile and vetiver to promote
sleep.
Come along and mee
Amanda
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-review-2019
Spicetown Mysteries is a new amateur sleuth series by Sheri Richey. I have heard this style of mystery referred to as cozy mystery or cozy crime, meaning the usual sex and violence associated with other sub-genres in crime is missing. I tend to prefer that dark grittiness with my crime. It feels more real for me. But there do come those times when it's nice to get caught up in and enjoy a more innocent atmosphere. That's what happened with Welcome to Spicetown, the first book of the series.

Spice
Tricia
May 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Nice, clean, cute little cozy.
Shanell Meek
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I excited to read the rest of the series.

This was the perfect afternoon read today! I really just sat down to relax for half an hour or so with a good book and ended up completely immersed in solving the Spicetown mystery instead! Spicetown is a cute little town nestled in the southern hills of Ohio. With street names like paprika and thyme and everybody knows everybody, one doesn’t expect a string of crimes to start bringing the citizens of Spicetown down! But when things start getting a littl
Karyn H
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it

This is the first book that I have read by American author Sheri Richey. Cora Mae Bingham, mayor of Spicetown and Conrad Harris, Chief of Police force are main characters. Conrad had memories spent with George Bingham, Cora Mae’s late husband. Conrad was introduced to all citizens in town and Bing had supported his decisions regarding the police force and later they became friends. Cora also a queen of note-taking used to record her thoughts on town planning. Everything seemed perfect until a fi
Jan
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Small town southern Ohio is a lot like small town anywhere but with more nice folks than some. Everybody knows everyone else and gossip is a given, but here there is very little that's malicious. This is a comfortable story about some interesting mysteries but no murder of people or their character, and the characters you get to know are the kind of people you'd want for friends.
The audio is narrated by Nicole KandeLind who is well suited to the task.
I won a free audio copy in a giveaway.
Bluepits73
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I listened to the audiobook version of this book.

The story was easy to follow and had solid plot and cute idea for the town. I didn't connect with the characters as well as I usually would like to, and I felt like the writing jumped around too much. Would be a decent & clean afternoon listen. Surprisingly, for a cozy mystery, it does not include a murder.

I thought the narrator gave a great performance that matched the book well.
Diana Rieck
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pleasantly Surprised!

When I began reading this book, I wasn’t sure if I liked it but as it progressed I began to really enjoy it. I love the interaction between the Mayor & the Chief and the budding romance between Amanda & Bryan. Can’t wait for the next chapter of Spicetown.
Sharon Draffin
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice little cozy

Quick easy read with an enjoyable plot. I enjoyed the budding romance between Amanda and Bryan and hope to see there relationship develop. The date in the snowplow was also a nice little twist for the couple.
Beverly Owens
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful read

Well, I am so glad to have found Spicetown! A great mystery in an interesting small town. Mayor Cora and Chief Conrad are a fun sleuthing team and the other characters completed the story so nicely. Will definitely read book two in the series!
Sally906
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
I’m sorry to say but I just didn’t get into this one.

The first in the Spicetown mystery series I am fairly certain I won’t be reading any more.

None of the characters came alive for me and I certainly didn’t care what happened to anyone.

#readforkimberly

Rebecca Wilson
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best little who dun it

Societies comes alive with vivid scene settings. The character development is cunning and smooth. This was the perfect plane ride read.
Clemmie Jackson
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good mystery with a twist
Betty
Cute little read!
Kathy
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Ok now I have another author to read getting the next book now if you love a great cozy with characters you will love then this one by Sheri Richey is a must read
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
Good start

I actually enjoyed this small town cozy. I liked Saucy and his complaining ways, the Mayor who tries to be the bad cop, and their very own cop that others in the town don't trust since he's new to the town but when a crime happens and the Mayor and cop get together to try and find the bad guys, the fun begins.
Sharon
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A hit
Genevieve Bomes
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have had this book on my tbr list for ages and never quite got around to reading it. I am sorry that I haven't read it sooner. This is a fast read with some great characters. There are a couple of story lines going on at the same time but they are easy to follow and I want to see the Mayor and Sheriff or was he the chief get together. I found the small town charming to visit and am looking forward to another visit there. ...more
Linda. Lemelin
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic ,wholesome book, real relatable characters, a mystery you will enjoy.
Marcelle L. Walters
A little spice is nice!

Very good first book in what seems to be a good series. Well written, good story line with a different type of mystery without a murder. Love the quant characters and small town. Looking forward to the next book!
Toni
Oct 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

This is the first book in the Spicetown Mysteries series by Sheri Richey.

I felt this was different than a normal cozy mystery for me since no one was murdered. It was all about a bunch of stolen fireworks stolen under the police chief’s nose on New Year’s Eve.

Basically, this book was doing a ton of world building in order to offer us a cast of characters and a setting we are comfortable with. I enjoyed the interplay between the lady mayor Cora Bingham and the police chief, Conrad Harris
Christine Goodnough
Although the story was relatively simple and the characters just plain small town folks, I really enjoyed this easy read. The town and its people made me think of Debbie Macomber's stories, although these characters had less going on in their lives, at least in this tale. There's no murder and relatively minor mayhem in this first book, which is why I chose to read it.
I liked the way the Mayor and the Police Chief "know" and are involved in their community. There were some things that stretched
Nola Arganbright
Sep 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
It's all in the scent

I enjoyed the story very much but was sidetracked by many errors that could have been caught and corrected by a proofreader.
The personalities of the Mayor and keep the story interesting and fresh. There even seems to be a little spark between the widow and her long time friend . Don't let the grey hair fool you though because these are two smart cookies.
I loved the streets and places in the book as they are all spice related. A new store in town is the focus of the mystery
Candice Lisle
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just Enough Spice

Wonderful mystery. Who stole the fireworks? Meanwhile fireworks of another sort are happening between the mayor's administrative assistant and a local landscaper. Fun read.
Frederic D.
Aug 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loué
A nice mystery book without violence or murder. The characters are well fleshed out and very attaching.
Lizabeth Tarr
Jan 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

I really enjoyed getting to know the characters (and some of them are characters!) of this little town and am curious to see where they go from p!
Karin
Jan 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not named because of the spices there but the Spices!!! And where are the fireworks??? I enjoyed the story and recommend the book.
Julie Howard
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
This was a fun cozy mystery. It did seem strange not to have a murder happen (and to be honest I kept expecting to stumble over a body) but all the same I did enjoy it. The characters were fun and like able. I did wish the author had chosen some different names because a few did start with the same letter and it took me a while to sort out who they were, but that could just be me. The plot was interesting and I liked the unusual shops in the town. It felt like the author knew what she was talkin ...more
Lidia
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is my review of the audio version as posted on Audible:

This is my first book by Sheri Richey and I'll definitely look for more.

"Welcome to Spicetown" introduces us to a set of characters that I've got to like after a few minutes of listening: Mayor Cora Mae Bingham and the Spicetown Police Chief Conrad Harris make a wonderful couple of sleuthing friends, and the background characters of Amanda and Brian and their courting add a romantic flavour to the cozy mystery. The biggest surprise? Th

• Murder Over Easy (A Sunny Side Up Cozy Mystery, #1)
  • Murder Mystery Book Club (Florida Keys Bed & Breakfast Cozy Mystery 1)
  • Murder Between the Lines (Rooftop Garden Cozy Mysteries, #1)
  • Crossed by Death (Stitches In Crime #1)
  • Dark Side of the Moo (Bought-the-Farm Mystery #2)
  • Berried Alive (Apple Orchard #4)
  • A Streak of Bad Cluck (Bought-the-Farm Mystery #3)
  • Muffin But Murder (A Sunny Side Up Cozy #2)
  • Mumbo Gumbo Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery #16)
  • Little Bookshop of Murder (Beach Reads Mystery, #1)
  • Trouble at the Animal Shelter (Cedar Bay Mystery #10)
  • A Cop and a Coop (Clucks and Clues Cozy Mysteries #1)
  • Farm to Trouble (Farm to Table Mysteries #1)
  • Burning Secrets (Whispering Pines Mystery, #11)
  • Murder on the East Coast (Cedar Bay Mystery #11)
  • Justified Secrets (Whispering Pines Mystery #9)
  • Southampton Strangler (Cruise Ship Mysteries #21)
  • Pulp Friction (A Cider Shop Mystery, #2)

Spicetown Mysteries (8 books)
  • A Bell in the Garden (Spicetown Mystery, #2)
  • Spilling the Spice (A Spicetown Mystery, #3)
  • Blue Collar Bluff (A Spicetown Mystery, #4)
  • A Tough Nut to Crack (A Spicetown Mystery, #5)
  • Chicory is Trickery (Spicetown Mystery, #6)
  • The No Dill Zone (A Spicetown Mystery, #7)
  • Cons & Quinces (A Spicetown Mystery, #8)

News & Interviews