Start by marking “Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership” as Want to Read:

(One Minute Manager)

In clear, simple terms Leadership and the One Minute Manager(R) teaches managers the art of Situational Leadership(R)--a simple system that refutes the conventional management mandate of treating all employees equally. Here, you'll learn why tailoring management styles to individual employees is so important; why knowing when to delegate, support, or direct is critical; ho ...more
Published October 20th 1999 by William Morrow & Company (first published October 6th 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Leadership and the One Minute Manager, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leadership and the One Minute Manager

Start your review of Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership
Nicholas Karpuk
Jul 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
The only thing worse than being wrong is being useless, and this book is rather useless.

Much like "FISH!" this book is a fictional scenario meant to illustrate how their techniques can help you become a successful manager. The story centers around "the Entrepreneur" and "the One Minute Manager." Yes, that's the only way they're referred to in this volume, reminding me of the "Who Moved My Cheese" structure. Might I suggest that writing intended for grown men and women who are supposed to manage
Andrew Armstrong
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
Quote from the book:
“The golden rule,” said Randall.
“The golden rule?” Echoed the entrepreneur.
“Whoever owns the gold makes the rules,” laughed Randall.

This is a key problem with the world but, so many people celebrate and live their lives this way. Makes me sad.
(Reading it for work, case in point)
Emily Leathers
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Cheesy, but makes sense. I still haven't read the book this series is based on (The One Minute Manager). I think I really like reading this group of books backward to forward: first the outrageous gripes of another set of authors in The 59-Second Employee : How to Stay One Second Ahead of Your One Minute Manager (whose attitude I didn't agree with), followed by this book to explain how to go way beyond the cliches that 'goals, praising, and reprimands' are implied to have become.

I liked a lot of
Andrea
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a young university graduate I think I learned a lot from this book. It was short and up to the point, so it was nice to read. I also really liked how the whole book was a conversation between two people.
My favourite quote from the book was "There is nothing so unequal as the equal treatment of unequals"!! Taking a moment to analyze this phrase I realized it not only apply to businesses but to everyday life.
S.Ach
Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
There is nothing in this book about effective leadership skills that I disagree with. But….

Recommended for the people who love to attend those corporate 'Leadership' trainings.

(Sadly, I am not one of them)

Pongalswamy asked, "Who asks you to read 'leadership' books, when you dislike those anyway?"
"I couldn't resist the offer in the last sales. And, moreover, see - my Goodreads reading challenge is ticking," I replied.
J.T. Wilson
Pretty interesting idea but, as other commentators have noted, hardly enough to fill a book and the authors use every shortcut available to get to 140 pages. I could have done without the cheesy format as well (it's a fictional framework but apparently nobody could think of better names for the two main characters than The Enterpreneur and The One Minute Manager - even though there's three authors!).
Nichole Smith
Content fine, stylistically horribly grating
OneForTheBooksBlog
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I like to mix in some self-help and career development books here and there. I tend to not do this too often because I don’t want reading to ever feel like a chore - reading it very much my way of decompressing.

This was a quick read with some great insight into situation leadership and management styles. I don’t currently manage any people but I’m a big believer in always preparing for the future. This book also helped me understand situational leadership from my own perspective of being an emp
Mark Schleier
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a simple book about how to become a better manager. It's designed to be read efficiently so the busy working person can read it in-between meetings, at lunch, or during the week before holiday break when the office is mostly dead. Since that is it's goal, it achieves it, and I recommend this book to managers who don't have a lot of time on their hands.

While reading it, I found that I already do some of the techniques mentioned in the book, which was a relief, but now there was a fancy na
Alex
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've met the Hersey-Blanchard model about Situational Leadership before and always found it a little bit hard to follow. This book however explains it very clearly straight from the original creators mouth. What I've realised is it isn't the model that's difficult to understand but rather that the previous descriptions haven't managed to explain it very well by starting in the wrong place.

This book is clever in that it explains the model through a series of conversations the "entrepreneur" has w
Tony Vynckier
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Not working harder, but working smarter. Sounds great, but where do you start ?

The book ‘Leadership and the One Minute Manager’ shows a way to get the best out of your team members by tailoring your own leadership style to the level of development of each team member.

Crucial in this model are : together setting clear targets and having clear agreements on form and the level of guidance.

An all-round manager helps his team members to reach their agreed targets and helps them grow into competent
Max Tachis
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
Building on the concepts described in "The New One Minute Manager", this helpful text provides some rather complex ideas branching off from the very simplistic ideas of its predecessor. The management concepts are terrific, primarily focusing on how to use elements of the first book toward a variety of different people, but the complexity of the processes described do not mesh with the VERY basic storytelling scheme.

This time the reader follows an entrepreneur who can't understand how the One Mi
Sean Gilmore
I'm a big fan of leadership books that explain concepts and then give real-world examples to illustrate the manifestation of the concept. One Minute Manager is not one of those books. Instead, the author uses a fictional narrative between the "One Minute Manager" and a leader in another organization to explain all of his concepts. It comes across as clunky story-telling with unrealistic dialogue.

That being said, the leadership principles taught in this book are sound. Situational leadership, wh
Venkat
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book focuses on how to treat employees to get the best out of them.
Situational leadership is clearly explained with the help of a few diagrams, easy to understand and apply. Specifically, this book is useful to the management graduates who are going to work for any organization or highly recommended for entrepreneurs.

One of my favorite lines in this is "There is nothing so unequal as the equal treatment of unequals"!!

If one reads the book and analyzes thoroughly one will understand that e
Amanda Staley
Written for a small child

The book was written in a "story style" that felt as though my intelligence was being insulted throughout the book. If you like the "explain it to me like I am a third grader" style of writing, the book is fine. The information contained within is valuable, if you can stomach the condescending and patronizing tone.
Laura Thompson
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
The principle of changing your leadership style to match the needs of your employees is very good; however, the writing style of this book is very distracting to the lessons the book offers. Referring to the main character as the One Minute Manager rather than giving them a name is also very annoying. I would not recommend adding this to your reading list.
Keith Beeson
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Does well what The One Minute Manager series does well = Takes a complex topic and breaks it down into easy to understand and apply steps that can help you be a better leader. Much of what is written, you may have seen in some form or fashion before, but the format and delivery are what makes this (and others in the series) so useful.
Wiebke Kuhn
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sequel/Complement to the One Minute Manager, this one focusing on providing different leadership or rather management styles for your team, while still using the principles of the one minute manager. Still very relevant, so it should be fascinating to see why this has taken over 30 years to catch on more fully.
Michal Paszkiewicz
A quick and easy read detailing the theory behind situational leadership and how it can be applied. The book is a narrative which makes it easily readable. It can be completed in about an hour. I found the book lacked in evidence (scientific) of it working in practice, but it certainly seems to make sense a priori. Well worth a quick read!
Megan
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really really liked this book. I found the advice in it simple and easy to follow. I enjoyed the way this book is written as well. It's told as a story. It's a quick read but it's packed full of valuable insights into leadership styles and how best to work alongside those you're leading. I'd highly recommend.
Shihab Ahmed
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A nice, short, sweet book that can be read in one day. It discusses a different type of management, one that we typically don’t think of when we manage people. I can’t say, however, whether or not these tactics actually work until I have applied them myself. As for now, however, they seem logical and I am excited to try them the next time I find myself in a managerial role!
Joe Haack
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm picking up what he's laying down. Situational leadership means you adjust how you lead others (more or less direction? More or less support?) because you are walking along side them and serving them.
Carlos J.
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Blanchard does it again!

With his usual easy-to-read, metaphoric style, Ken Blanchard keeps up with the trends and gives us an excellent updated version of this great leadership model, SLII.
supot.hornamchaigmail.com
It's nice to read it. Inside the book you will know how to be a leadership that flexible on situation. And how to set a S.M.A.R.T goal. Moreover, not just theory but how can we implement those as well. Very good book. If you have to manage a team whether big or small, I recommend this book. :)
Gabriel Rodriguez Diaz
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Super easy read that provides a framework for which to manage people. It introduces the concept of situational leadership. It challenges you to have the flexibility to change your leadership style depending on the development of your direct reports and the goals you have assigned to them.
Karoline Checkett
May 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
The concepts and actionable content was very interesting and I'm excited to try it. However, the way the content is presented, as dialogue, is rather cheesy and a bit painful to read. Overall, I'm glad I read it and looking forward to trying to be a situational leader!
David
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is good information, although presented like an HR Safety PowerPoint.
I find that the presented management technique, Situational Leadership, works both ways. I've used this method in the past (and in the present) as both a manager and an employee.
Wes F
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great insights/reminders on what Situation Leadership (SLII) is and how one can be a better leader when implementing various leadership styles, depending on the *situation* (development level & needs of those you lead). Easy-to-read and grasp presentation of SLII. ...more
S. S.
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very easy read and some very useful and practical management advice. A lot of it is very obvious but unfortunately most of management is clueless about most of the ideas and framework presented in this book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• How to Develop Self-Confidence And Influence People
  • Principle-Centered Leadership
  • Numbering All the Bones
  • The Quick and Easy Way to Effective Speaking
  • Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Field Guide for Leaders, Managers, and Facilitators
  • The Leadership Challenge
  • The Leader In You: How to Win Friends, Influence People and Succeed in a Changing World
  • Personal Development for Smart People: The Conscious Pursuit of Personal Growth
  • The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork: Embrace Them and Empower Your Team
  • The One Minute Sales Person: The Quickest Way to Sell People on Yourself, Your Services, Products, or Ideas--at Work and in Life
  • Leadership Is an Art
  • Winning with People
  • Critical Chain
  • Winning
  • The Essential Drucker
  • The Systems Mindset: Managing the Machinery of Your Life
  • Body by Science: A Research-Based Program for Strength Training, Body Building, and Complete Fitness in 12 Minutes a Week
  • The Bottleneck Rules: How To Get More Done at Work, Without Working Harder.
Ken Blanchard, one of the most influential leadership experts in the world, is the coauthor of the iconic bestseller, The One Minute Manager, and 60 other books whose combined sales total more than 21 million copies. His groundbreaking works have been translated into more than 27 languages and in 2005 he was inducted into Amazon’s Hall of Fame as one of the top 25 bestselling authors of all time.

One Minute Manager (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The One Minute Manager