Start by marking “Morbid Magic: Death Spirituality and Culture from Around the World” as Want to Read:
Morbid Magic: Death Spirituality and Culture from Around the World

Morbid Magic: Death Spirituality and Culture from Around the World

The Ultimate Book on Macabre Lore & Spiritual Traditions from Yesterday & Today

Written with a mix of reverence, approachability, and deadpan wit by a funeral industry insider, Morbid Magic is the first multi-cultural guide to death spirituality and traditions from all over the world and from different historical eras. Tom�s Prower presents an impressive array of top
Published September 8th 2019 by Llewellyn Publications

To ask other readers questions about Morbid Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Morbid Magic

Siavahda
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
I received a copy of this from the publisher via Net-Galley in return for an honest review.

Being a big fan of Prower's earlier book Queer Magic, I jumped at the chance to get an early read of another work of his. That might have been a bit of a mistake on my part, although a lot of that was simply that death magic isn't my area of expertise or interest - not the book's fault!

That said, Morbid Magic did make me uncomfortable, not because of the subject matter but because of how it w
Elaine
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, netgalley, non-fic
Thank you to NetGalley for a Kindle ARC of Morbid Magic.

This was a fantastic and extremely informative read.

It was interesting, shocking and surprising, in all the right ways!

The author does a wonderful job of laying out the funeral rites of nearly every religion and culture in the world, no easy task.

His personal and professional experience in the mortuary industry gives him a unique perspective and an insightful and honest look into the death rites and rituals.<
April A.  Taylor
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I've been looking for a book that would give me an overview of the death customs of many different cultures throughout history, and Morbid Magic fit the bill quite nicely. The author infuses macabre humor into the historical narrative from time to time, which made it even more entertaining to read.

The basic setup goes like this:

1. Name of the culture..
2. Examination of their death customs.
3. Examination of any death-related deities from that culture/time period..
4. Suggestions for how to im
Luke
Sep 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Death is something that most of us don’t like to talk about, or is something – if we mention it all – approached with humour. Yet it’s really the only thing, other than birth, that all humans have in common. In this book, Tomás Prower provides a tour of the world’s interpretation of the end of life.

The setup is pretty simple: for various cultures – national and magical – Prower offers an explanation of how death is viewed in that location. A lot of the content revolves around funerary rites – w
Scotti LeeMarie,
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best Enjoyed Anytime Your Morbid Curiosity Taps on the Glass

Tómas Prower takes us on an amazing journey into the one of the most important, yet seemingly taboo, parts of life: Death. I have been enjoying this one for a month now. This is the reference book I didn’t know I needed in my life and I have learned so much so far and will probably need to buy copies for my close friends and relatives. It has seriously opened my eyes to various religious practices, deities associated with it
Lesley Lane
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I just finished reading Morbid Magic: Death Spirituality and Culture from Around the World by Tomás Prower (release date September 8, 2019) and I have to say I am thoroughly intrigued. The book is a world tour of death rituals and rites around the world, with each section focusing on a specific location on Earth, from the Middle East to the Americas. Each section gives a brief snippet of how each culture v
Kim
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great overview to various death magics and customs from all over the world. Morbid Magic would be a wonderful addition to anyone’s magical book collection or if you are interested in learning more about different cultures approaches to death and dying.

Death has been a fascinating topic to many people over the years and I am no exception. While I have read about and knew most of the customs for Europe and South America, I learned a lot of interesting new tidbits in regards to Asi
Shannan
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
While no survey work on a subject can be perfect, it's clear Prower has done his research and put in the time to catalog as many traditions as he could into one book. This is a bit of a niche area, but I think one deserving of more attention and discussion.

Prower does an excellent job of balancing humor with gravitas, and I appreciate his example in the introduction (though perhaps Dominik might not have, were he around to object). Death magic and lore is not stuff to be trifled with, and shoul
amanda
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I don’t know quite what I was expecting when I requested to read this book but reading the first page I was swiftly unprepared but not unpleasantly so.

My summer has been a harsh one full of sadness and death with the recent passing of my grandmother so I didn’t think I would be able to finish this book since everything is so raw but Mr. Prower’s charm and wit had me laughing out loud at several instances. The burial and funeral practices shared around the world are fascinating. This was a good,
Ashley
This book tours the world discussing various death rituals, rites, and customs. I found this book fascinating, easy to read, and very informative. I especially liked the voices from community members part. It was a nice way to get a different and personal perspective. Each section is concluded with a takeaway to implement in your own life, which was a very nice and helpful addition I believe.

Overall, this was a good book if you are interested in death practices. I want to read his other books n
Alan D.D.
Although heavy at times, this was incredibly entertaining and kept my interest during al of the book. The author did an amazing research that will impress everyone that opens the book, and his style makes it all the more appealing! I didn't expect a book about such a darksome subject to make me smile ovr and over again, but this one did!
Leslie
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I took a lot of time with this book because it fascinated me on so many levels. Prower makes learning about death and different customs interesting and not like a text book. I've already recommended this book several times.
Thank you NetGalley for the ARC copy in exchange for an honest review.
Kristin
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Morbid Magic is a thorough book about death spirituality and culture around the world and it covers a lot of ground. In addition I really loved the deadpan wit of the author as he is a mortician.
Alexandrah
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: death
Morbid Magic goes into detail about the death customs practiced all over the world and how to incorporate relatable aspects into your own life. I found it really interesting seeing how different cultures or religions treat death.
Katie
Jessica Clark
Aug 16, 2019
Allison Levine
Aug 17, 2019
“Tomorrow is not guaranteed, and old age (even with all its inconveniences) is a gift denied to many. You’re alive now, and isn’t that reason enough to celebrate and be happy? And when death does come, will you look back with amazement at all the things you’ve done, or with regret at all the things you prevented yourself from doing? Until then, though, be easy on yourself. Cry when you’re sad. Mourn when there’s a death, and know that grief is the medicine, not the impediment, to healing from a loss. And if still none of this makes any sense to you, don’t worry; it will someday.” 0 likes