Start by marking “The Girl Who Married a Skull and Other African Stories (Cautionary Fables & Fairytales)” as Want to Read:

The Girl Who Married a Skull and Other African Stories

(Cautionary Fables and Fairy-Tales)

Have you heard the one about the skull who borrowed body parts to pass himself off as a human so he could trick the village beauty into marriage? No? Well, what about when the daughters of Frog and Snake had a playdate? Okay, fine. But surely you've heard the story of the crocodiles who voted on whether or not to eat a man that had saved one of their lives? NO? Wow, have ...more
Published December 25th 2018 (first published 2014)

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl Who Married a Skull and Other African Stories

Start your review of The Girl Who Married a Skull and Other African Stories (Cautionary Fables & Fairytales)
Calista
This is a black and white graphic novel full of 15 African Fairytales.

There were several that I did enjoy and most of them I have not heard of before. I do love a good fairytale. There is always more meaning there than just a story. I think the artwork is fun and the stories included were interesting. I hope to read more in this Fairytales series.

I had fun reading this.

The List:
The Disobedient Daughter who married a skull
Anansi tries to steal wisdom
Demane and Demazana
Hyena and Jackal
Snake and
Yvonne Olson
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up for work - I was writing an article bout new books recently added to our collection for the newspaper, and chose this one as one.
I enjoy learning other culture's fairytales and folklore, especially because, as a German, I read so many of the "norm" tales, it's refreshing to read other takes.
The artwork in this was mostly wonderful. Some artists were not in my particular aesthetic of choice, but they were nice. Some of them were a little fuzzy, like they weren't printed good
Kristi
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I get this is a kids book, but there was no narrative or collective thought to putting these stories together. It didn't feel cohesive, like a fairytale book, and most of the stories were so short that the meaning was glossed over. Excellent, varied artwork, and I loved some of the tales that were reminiscent of the western folklore I grew up with, but I would have preferred fewer stories with more depth.
Iman
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lot it was great learning about African culture but the book would be better if the words were different because some of the pages I couldn’t even read.
Kathryn Kania
Some of the myths were very basically told but the art was really nice throughout. High quality.
Rod Brown
A talented mix of creators bring out the humor of these African folktales. I prefer the Asian collection in this series with its strong horror vibe, but this is pretty darn good also.
Devann
This was a very enjoyable read. I wasn't really familiar with any of the stories except the one Egyptian myth they included, so it was fun to see some stories that are not often retold in American media. All the different artists were very good as well. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is looking for a fun book to widen their mythology knowledge.
I'mogén
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As stated in my review of the first book, there's some back story to this... Crappy excuse incoming!
So, I have the 3rd edition on my pc to read via Netgalley, only I didn't know know it was a 3rd in a series and I don't have excess money to buy the previous books or time to get to the library to see if they have it before it expires (which they probably won't have anyway as local libraries are quite outdated, rarely have newer releases and certainly super rare when it comes to their manga,
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full disclosure: I contributed to the Kickstarter for publishing this book. It's a wide-ranging collection of African folktales brought to life by a series of online comic artists; the styles range from fast and funny to solemn and detail-oriented, and they come from across many different African cultures. With fifteen entries in all, there's pretty much something here for everyone, and many of the stories are very, very enjoyable, including "Anansi Tries to Steal All Wisdom," "Gratitude," "The ...more
Chelsey
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Some of these stories were stronger than others, but a couple were excellent, and I liked the overall vibe.
Sarah Hughes-Plata
This book was amazing! The Girl who Married a Skull and tales is a spectacular graphic novel filled with a bunch of African tales. These tales all teach a good lesson in one way or the other and really make you think about what you’re reading. An example of one of the amazing stories is my personal favorite, it’s about Isis the Egyptian goddess and her journey to become a highly renowned goddess. The books colors and pictures are terrific too, you can tell exactly what is going on in each scene ...more
Virginia
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5? some of them were really wonderful but some were just okay. not sure whether the people doing these retellings were actually culturally qualified to do so...?
Jessie Bond
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Fairy tales are weird.
Katie
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Overall, I really enjoyed this collection of short stories. I hadn't heard of most of these Fables or Fairytales.
The artwork was quite good and suited the stories being shared. It's simple enough and not scary that it can be read with children.

The Disobedient Daughter Who Married A Skull by Nicole Chartand
I really liked the artwork but it felt like maybe the inspiring fairytale might have been longer but that might be that I just liked it that much and wanted more.

Anansi Tries To Steal Wisdom by
Lainy122
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Updated for a modern audience, but you can still see the bones of what the original fables would have been. So interesting to see the different types of themes from other parts of the world! There are a lot more stranger danger and cannibalism lessons in African stories!
Soobie's scared
Well, it's high time to continue my fairy tales world tour. This time let's fly to Africa.

The Disobedient Daughter who Married a Skull by Nicole Chartrand:
Well, this is a nice starting for this anthology. The little skull kind of remind me more of the Mexican día de los muertos than African culture but it was a good story with nice drawings.

Anansi Tries to Steal All Wisdom by Joe Pimienta:
The art is quite original and the story is Ok.

Demane and Demezana by Katie & Shaggy Shanahan:
Maybe
Robin
Appealing and intriguing. Loved the concept and variety of artists. A little uneven and missing source info. Recommended for ages 10-14.
Wayne McCoy
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
'The Girl Who Married a Skull: and Other African Stories (Cautionary Fables and Fairytales)' edited by Kate Ashwin, Kel McDonald, and Charlie Spike Trotman with a whole host of artists, is a collection of really fun stories.

In the title story, a beautiful, but vain, daughter won't listen to what her parents want. They want her to marry, but she doesn't want to. When she is swept off her feet by a handsome stranger, her parents are suspicious, as well they should be. This man is not what he
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
The Girl Who Married a Skull and other African Stories edited by Kel McDonald, 205 pages, GRAPHIC NOVEL. Iron Circus Comics, 2018, $15.

Language: G (0 swears); Mature Content: G; Violence G

BUYING ADVISORY: MS - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

This book is a collection of 15 short stories done in graphic novel format. The art varies with the stories. These are cautionary fables and fairytales to help the reader see why you should listen to your parents, not marry strangers, not steal wisdom, or
Susan Rose
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a graphic novel anthology containing fables, fairy tales and folklore in a variety of visual styles and different tones of story telling.

The first thing I'd like to say about this book is how incredibly well produced it is, I backed this as a project on kickstarter and I wasn't expecting it to be as beautiful as it is.

This collection is everything I wanted it to be which is that it is a brilliant and varied collection covering the varying folk tales from Africa. My favourite stories
Fátima López Sevilla
There is no better way, in my opinion, to know a culture than by their stories and their use of language. This small volume gathers some fables and stories from all around Africa teaching us how they explain how spiders, hyenas, frogs and snakes came to be, about the lighting and the thunder, about how to be a good son or daughter...

It may sound naïf, even patronizing, but hey, these are cautionary tales!

Some stories we may have heard before, but it's the variety of artists and styles what
Lisa
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This graphic novel is a collection of African tales each illustrated by a different artist. The art in most of the stories was very interesting and well done. I did find some issues with the stories themselves and I felt the first half of the book was much stronger than the second half. There was no real rhyme or reason to the collection. Some of the tales felt too short and there was a science fiction based one that I felt didn't fit at all. Not to say there wasn't some of them I really ...more
Salamah
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a great book!!! The first story, The Girl Who Married a Skull is so funny that I laughed out loud and then read it again in order to laugh again. All of the stories are interesting and the authors even threw in an Anansi story which is always fun to read. All of the stories are appropriate for 5th grade and up except for one story, (the last one in the book) which discusses a man trying to sleep with a woman. There is nothing inappropriate shown but the innuendo is there. The drawings are ...more
Ami
This book is a mish-mash of 15 African fairy tales. Some stories were much stronger than others in terms of art, length, and overall plot.

Among them, my favorites were:

+The Disobedient Daughter Who Married A Skull (Fantastic art, Great facial expressions, Quirky story)
+Demane and Demazana (Clever dialogue, Funny characters)
+Gratitude (Good plot, Funny, Ends with a moral)
+The Lion's Whiskers (Great plot, Ends with a moral, Good art and pacing)
+Chief Five Heads (Great plot, Ends with a moral)

A
Adam Stone
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for an anthology of fables and fairytales outside the scope of Brothers' Grimm or Disney, this is precisely the book you're looking for. A variety of artists adapt African stories, mostly dealing with gender, in black and white comic form. There's some humor, some treasure, and quite a bit of hunger.

I enjoyed every story in this collection. And I recommend buying it, giving it to kids, donating it lo libraries, and checking out other work by the artists in this anthology.
Eoui
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Growing up white in America I don't hear these stories or the folktales they're based on so I was instantly interested. The different art style are all super lovely, I mean the cover alone is worth the price.

There were one or two stories I didn't understand but I really liked the art and the little bit of insight into other fables and tales. I think especially the cover story.
Alyssa Gudenburr
This is a collection of African stories told in comic book form. Some of the stories I really enjoyed while others I didn't like. One thing that is hard with a collection from different authors and artists is the story would jump from grim to silly. Overall it was a good read and I would recommend it for upper elementary readers.
Nicole Westen
I'm not really familiar with any African folk/fairy tales, so this was a fun read for me. I think the title story, the Girl Who Married a Skull, could definitely be turned into a Disney princess story.
Ash
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More interesting than the original edition, but still expected more.
Brianna
A collection that I'm very glad exists. Some tellings of these stories were more succesful than other. I particularly enjoyed the titular story and Demane and Demanzana.
« previous 1 3 next »
ACPL Online Book ...: Cautionary tales 1 3 Dec 18, 2018 03:33PM

• Hicotea (Nightlights #2)
  • Sincerely, Harriet
  • Stage Dreams
  • Marcy and the Riddle of the Sphinx
  • FTL, Y'all!: Tales From the Age of the $200 Warp Drive
  • Operatic
  • Mighty Jack and Zita the Spacegirl (Mighty Jack, #3; Zita the Spacegirl, #4)
  • Gender Queer
  • Glitch
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)

Cautionary Fables and Fairy-Tales (4 books)
  • Cautionary Fables and Fairy-tales