Start by marking “The Burns Fire (The Fire Salamander Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Burns Fire (The Fire Salamander Chronicles, #1)

The Burns Fire

(Fire Salamander #1)

When you’re a supernatural weapon of mass destruction, it can be hard to walk in the world of humans, especially when you work for the FBI…

Zane Burns—also known as Gunz—is a Fire Salamander who works for a secret paranormal division of the FBI. When he gets a call in the middle of the night to get involved in a multiple homicide investigation, he soon finds himself embro
Published January 17th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Burns Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Burns Fire

Start your review of The Burns Fire (The Fire Salamander Chronicles, #1)
Aug 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: briaepicgiveaway
A solid first in series.

Witty and engaging with an interesting premise and good development, The Burns Fire is a supernatural/paranormal Urban Fantasy that nicely intertwines folklore with badass action.

The concept of a Fire Salamander working for a secret paranormal division of the FBI is downright awesome. Perhaps just as awesome as Zane Burns himself. :D

Intriguing, intricate and nicely written, thus first in series delivers richness, complexity and a diverse cast of fascinating creatures and
Jacob Rundle
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a FANTASTIC story! N.M. Thorn has created something special that the literary world needed. This goes to show that Indie Authors have just as much talent or even more than traditionally published writers. First off, I LOVED the characters. Zane, a.k.a the fire salamander, is such a dynamic character. His movements. His speech. His thoughts. All of them are realistic, and I enjoyed them. Second off, I really like a story that has folklore and mythology in its bones. It really does help to bu ...more
Raj
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Zane Burns,a conflicted being of immense power is the fire lizard of myth.A loss of control will burn down entire cities and so he keeps the fire banked within until gods and various dark entities ignite his rage into a seething inferno.This book is a start of what should be an intoxicating series.It deserves six burning stars.
Shayla Morgansen
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Part urban fantasy, part supernatural adventure, part paranormal investigation, this first book in Zane Burns' story introduces a richly detailed world in which every monster, being and legend you've ever heard of runs wild in our world behind the veil of ignorance. Through alternating points of view, a complex plot emerges, with everyone's motives impacting and influencing the outcome. My favourite character hands down was Mishka, the sassy wyvern, and I look forward to the remainder of the ser ...more
Melanie
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this book, I normally go for FMCs and I didn't know what a fire salamander was. Now I completely adore N.M. Thorns creation: a small man with a huge heart and a quick wit that had me giggling throughout. Meet Gunz.

This book was action packed and full of twists until the very last scene. N.M. Thorn makes every single character jump off the page and come to life, complete with witty lines and some hilarious scenes that had me laughing out loud on the tra
Karin Aston
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Let me start by saying this is a GREAT story. It follows Zane Burns, aka Gunz, an average guy who works for the FBI as a consultant. He just happens to be assigned to a supernatural task force as more and more things are happening in Florida that can’t be explained. When I say he’s an average guy, I mean that he’s of medium height and build with nothing exceptional about him. Apart from the fact that he’s a Fire Salamander — which is very rare and unusual even in the supernatural world.
When seve
Douglas S. Pierce
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Sizzling Adventure!

From the moment we meet Zane Burns, aka Gunz, where he has to fend off the unwanted amorous intentions of a succubus to the end of this rousing tale, the reader is immersed in hidden world of magick, legendary monsters, and ancient gods all seeking to make their own way in the modern setting of South Florida.

In this first book in her series, Thorn takes all of our expectations for an urban fantasy adventure tale and lights them on fire, in a fun and exciting way. She finds a
The Lusty Literarians
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it

The Burns Fire is a great story for fans of Urban Fantasy. I found the story witty and engaging, for the most part. Some parts were a little slow and the story was a little long, but overall I found it interesting. For a first novel in a series I think the author did a pretty good job. Some parts threw me off though. Tessa was overly emotional and prone to needless outbursts. She was strong and independent and then other times she was incredibly immature. She grew tiresome after a while. Some ot
John-Torleif  Harris
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good first book in this series, but I have a lot of questions

I found Tessa's reactions to both Aiden and Gunz to be a bit melodramatic and way over the top. She had absolutely no history of being betrayed, or systematically lied to, and yet her reactions weren't those of a normal person, rather they were of a character who had an almost PTSD episode due to perfectly rational omissions that were in place to protect normal humans.

Also, how did Gwyn ap Nudd give Aiden the tools that he needed to de
Nicholas Gagnier
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic debut book! I met N.M. Thorn on social media and took a chance on her book. I wasn’t sorry. This is a thrilling adventure with believable characters, a thrilling plot and some lesser-explored Slavic mythology, which it shares in part with the ever-popular Witcher series.

Real characters can sell any concept, and it is here that Thorn just does that, using her mix of paranormal characters in a realistic setting. This is mostly true of main protagonist Zane (aka Gunz) as he weaves throu
Gcostanza
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thrilling tale full of engrossing plots and compelling characters. I was especially impressed with the originality of the main character as well as the choice to delve into the less-often used Slavic pantheon. However, while I thoroughly enjoyed the book, there were a number of grammatical quirks which occasionally took me out of the story when they (though at times technically correct) didn't ring true with modern speech (if N.M. Thorn reads this the use of "neither" - both without "nor" and to ...more
Nannette Kreitzman
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A must read for lovers of urban fantasy!

The Burns Fire is a story rich in complexity and diverse characters. Thorn seamlessly brings an array of monsters, witches, and mythical creatures into a contemporary setting to fight the age old battle between good and evil. I was drawn to the characters’ personal plights and I look forward to what challenges they will face in the continuing story.
Kara Weaver
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book took me on a ride from the moment I opened the book and started reading. There's no long introduction; the action starts almost straight away, and continues until the last page. The start of the book is an amazing retelling of Irish folklore, beautifully interwoven with Slavic Folklore, magic, fairytales, paramilitary and killer martial arts. N.M. Thorn's storytelling is so compelling it leaves you wanting for more at the end of the book.
Pamela Cunningham
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in The Fire Salamander Chronicles

This was a great start to a new supernatural/paranormal series I really liked the world building in this book . And of course the main character was likable and interesting plus the side characters where good too . But Tessa OMG she was not my favorite I get that she is young and that she has been through some rough times but beck was she annoying . Anyway I'm looking forward to the next book in this series .
Mikki Noble
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed all the characters in this book and the concept of a fire salamander was different and pretty darn cool. Thorn had me guessing a lot-so much so, that I just had to finish the story in one day. She weaves a fiery, magical tale that was interested until the last page. Can't wait for book two!

Definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys action, well-developed characters and the supernatural.
Katherine
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Burns Fire, the Fire Salamander chronicles, follows Gunz, aka Zane Burns, through his journey in modern day South Florida. An action packed urban fantasy adventure, this book takes the reader through both ancient and modern times. Thank you, N.M. Thorn, I couldn't put down the book until the last page.
N.P. Martin
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fast-paced, interesting and compelling read. It's filled with folklore and mythology which greatly helps to give it some depth, and being Irish myself, I obviously appreciated the Irish folklore and retelling of Celtic myths. The characters are also real and believable, the dialogue well done. Overall, a grand start to a great new series.
Brittany Goodman
Jul 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting story

This story is very interesting. Action packed and i love Gunz. The other characters grow on me too but Gunz is my favorite. Mishka is a close second. Has some mild profanity. No sex although there are run ins with succubi, heavy kisses and a closed door.
Kimberly Williams
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good book.

Great start for a series. Looking forward to the next book.
Like the snarky comments throughout the story. Keeps things I teresting.
Robert Berg
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great new series

Quite enjoyable read, very interesting and unusual plot. Great characters. I’m Glad that there will be a sequel soon hopefully.
Mike
Vanessa Lynch
Jun 29, 2019
Paul
Nov 01, 2020

• Hell Patrol (Ethan Drake Series Book 5)
  • Black Mirror (Ethan Drake Book 4)
  • Limelight (Arcane Casebook #5)
  • The Demon Accords Compendium, Volume III
  • Dark Glass (Montague & Strong Case Files #11)
  • The Long Chain (Arcane Casebook, #3)
  • Mind Games (Arcane Casebook, #4)
  • Game of the Wolf (The Hexecutioner Book 1)
  • The Unforgiven (Skharr DeathEater #1)
  • The Plague Barrens (Enora Online, #3)
  • Quest For Roshan (Enora Online, #2)
  • Darkkin Queen (Demon Accords, #16)
  • Entrance Wounds (Warlock's Guide to Medicine #1)
  • Devil’s Blood (Shade of Devil, #3)
  • A Gilded Cage (Chronicles of an Urban Druid #1)
  • Devil's Dream (Shade of Devil, #1)
  • Burn Notice (Warlock's Guide to Medicine #2)
  • Sacrifice of the Sorcerer (The Hexecutioner Book 2)
N.M. Thorn currently lives in South Florida with her husband and son. Owner of a digital marketing agency by day and a writer by night, she loves spending her times creating new worlds, paranormal planes of existence and anything that could be described as supernatural.

When she is not busy working with everything digital or exploring fantasy worlds, she enjoys spending time with her family, readi

Fire Salamander (6 books)
  • The Burns War (The Fire Salamander Chronicles, #2)
  • The Burns Defiance (The Fire Salamander Chronicles, #3)
  • The Burns Codex (The Fire Salamander Chronicles, #4)
  • The Burns Enigma (The Fire Salamander Chronicles, #5)
  • The Burns Destiny (The Fire Salamander Chronicles, #6)

News & Interviews