Start by marking “Das kleine Café in Kopenhagen (Romantic Escapes 1)” as Want to Read:
Das kleine Café in Kopenhagen (Romantic Escapes 1)

Das kleine Café in Kopenhagen

(Romantic Escapes #1)

Eine im wahrsten Sinne süße Liebesgeschichte im idyllischen Kopenhagen - mit sympathischen Figuren, warmherzigem Humor und viel Lokalkolorit!
PR-Frau Kate organisiert eine Pressereise nach Kopenhagen. Unter den eingeladenen Journalisten ist auch der zynische Ben, der von dem Hype um den dänischen Hygge-Trend überhaupt nichts hält und eigentlich lieber gegen die Ungerechtigk
Published December 18th 2018 (first published February 8th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Das kleine Café in Kopenhagen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Das kleine Café in Kopenhagen

Start your review of Das kleine Café in Kopenhagen (Romantic Escapes 1)
Kim
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley, kindle, 2018
This was such a wonderfully warm read- which I am sure is going to be in my top 5 list this year. The setting, food and characters are all connected within a hygge theme- guaranteeing a warm, comfortable and happy feel. You can imagine yourself in Eva's cafe being wrapped in her welcome and enjoying the delicious food on offer in a cafe that makes you forget life outside.
Kate is a publicist and when she gets passed over for a promotion finds herself the only one available to run a campaign pitch
Claire
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shit-hot-series
Best first book in a series, I have read in a long time.

Definitely an author to stalk going forwards.

Claude's Bookzone
3.5 Stars round up to 4!

CW: (view spoiler)

Well that book felt like a nice warm hygge!

Hopefully I was the first to make that punny little joke!

Whilst there were periods in the book where the tension had fallen completely away and the characters were just existing in their little Danish pastry filled world, I was always entertained. Seriously though, there were points where I was wondering what could possibly happen next, as it all seeme
Margitte
Jan 31, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, it’s chick-lit. Cozy and cuddly. But the story and characters have a Maeve Binchy ambiance, which really perks up the experience. And it’s highly entertaining.
Melindam
Jun 19, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tt-8-discworld
2,5 stars

Nothing to send a postcard from Copenhagen to home about, but it is a good beach read. There's not much in there to focus on, so you can keep half an eye on the beach/your drink of choice/your kids or pets if you have them and still not miss anything in the book.

It's the fluffiest little romance. What you see is what you get.
Deanne Patterson
Feel good chick lit embracing Danish culture. I now want a hygge house (Hygge is the Danish concept of living a simple, well & cosy life ) From the book I understand the Danish are very happy and eats lots of pastries. don't care about the pastries but surrounding myself with happy people sounds great to me. Working at a little cafe with cinnamon bun and hot chocolate scents wafting through the air isn't a bad idea either. And discovering the romantic charm in Copenhagen through romantic late- n ...more
victoria_tonks
Julie Caplin/Jules Wake's books are always a safe bet for me. I have read six of them so far and, on the whole, enjoyed them very much. This one is basically no exception, even though for various reasons I am going to stick to three stars.

TLCiC tells the story of Kate, the PR girl, who is responsible for organizing a press trip to Copenhagen as part of the press campaign for one her agency's clients. During the trip, she has an opportunity to see the beautiful capital of Denmark and discover th
Nicola Clough
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had heard of this author but hadn't read any of her books yet I will be reading more as so well written and engrossed you from the first page. Full of happiness and romance and beautiful Copenhagen. Also about Kate finding herself and realising she doesn't enjoy her job. Well worth reading curled up by the fire.
Kate works as a publicist and sadly doesn't get the promotion she wanted so she isn't happy especially when it's her boyfriend who has gone beyond her back and takes her promotion. She
Nancy
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming story with great little nuggets of philosophy seamlessly worked into it. Enjoyed all of the characters and the way Copenhagen was presented.
Hannah
I was drawn to this story because of Copenhagen. In a time with so many cancelled trips and plans I was pleased to find a story about the city I was going to visit in April. This book made me feel like I was there so did the trick of an adventure at home.

I loved the story and the setting. Katie and Ben are both great characters, with many other side characters adding to the story Eva and Sophie (two of my favourites). Copenhagen is a city I can't wait to visit in the future and this book has ad
Anissa
Aug 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone seeking a comfort read
Recommended to Anissa by: Kindle Unlimited
It's 2020 and I just needed a comfort read so what better way than to take a dip into hygge by way of some chick-lit.

There's food, candlelight, a group of characters who all seem to need a soft place to land and a happy end. It's a winning formula when one is in the mood for it and I let myself be swept away into the story. The misunderstandings between Kate and Ben were fairly silly so that detracted a little but it was exactly on-brand for these type of stories so no stars taken off for me. C
Stacey
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loved
Review can be found on my blog: thecosiestcorner.blogspot.com

I honestly cannot tell you in words how much I loved this book. Much like hygge, it's more about the feels - and this book gave me plenty of them! I must admit that this novel has made me push Copenhagen up my list of places I want to travel to and now I'm pining to go there.

It has to be said that the first thing that usually makes me want to read a book is the cover, and this cover certainly doesn't disappoint. I LOVE it. It's so, so
Shalini
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book which is based on the happiest people on Earth, the Danish and their concept of a lifestyle Hygge. It is all about making your life better, making life cozy, through little things, bringing warmth and homeliness. That's why they are the happiest people on this earth.

After being betrayed by her colleague and lover, Kate has to take 6 journalists to Copenhagen at the behest of a client of their PR firm to show them the concept of Hygge. And enter Ben a journalist but an unknown Prince Charm
Rachel Gilbey
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2018 has so far been fabulous in terms of some of the books I have been reading and at the time of writing its only been 13 days into the year! The Little Cafe in Copenhagen is another book that all I want to do is tell you to buy it and read it.

This is a warm hug of a book that wrapped me up so tightly on a cold winters day and wouldn't let me go with its undeniable brilliance, and look at Hygge and just what it means.

I'll admit what drew me to this wonderful story initially was the cover, th
Jessica
I feel like Caplin, looking for a new setting for her next romance, read Meik Wiking's Little Book of Hygge (referenced extensively at the beginning, but not by exact name), then said, What if I paraphrased this, but added lots of staring at a kinda douchey guy's chest, and occasionally kissing him?

I picked it up solely for the title and the Kindle sale, and thought it would be more along the lines of Jemima J. or Bridget Jones' Diary. There's quite a bit of that here, and those are the interest
Suzanne
Wonderful depiction of Copenhagen and Danish culture. A sweet souffle.
Amanda
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable easy read. It started in typical chick lit fashion but soon changed into a 'school trip for journalists', which was witty as well as giving interesting facts about Copenhagen. I look forward to more by this author. ...more
Alison Winter
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally amazing, was hooked from the beginning all the way through.
Tracy 'loopylarner' Larner-Brown
I loved this but didn't realise I'd read book 2 before this, the first one! But it didn't really matter.

Enjoyable tale and I liked the characters. It made me want to visit Copenhagen even more now and experience Hygge in it's founding Country.
Alayne Emmett
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a sweet read, just what i needed to loose myself in!!!! It was the first time I e read any of Ms Caplin’s books and I throughly enjoyed it. I love books like these as you can sink into them and let the words just flow over you. Worth a read.
Leigh
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
The Little Cafe in Copenhagen is written in first person with an easy to read style of writing. The chapters are quite short, which helped me speed through this book. The book can be quite descriptive with the steamy scenes - which may be a little bit off pointing for some readers. But I didn't mind it, it's described in detail, but it's more about the desire and the stirrings of love, not so much the act.

The book centres around Kate - who works in PR. She is denied a promotion - one which she h
Nicki
I loved this book and I’m so glad I saw the tweet for a NetGalley copy on Boxing Day. This is one of those books that made me smile every time I picked it up, because I felt like I was meeting up with old friends.

I really liked Kate and was rooting for her the whole time, she felt like someone I would enjoy be friends with. All the characters Kate came in to contact with felt real and so did the situations she found herself in.

The city break that Kate goes on in Copenhagen is great fun with lots
Michael Cayley
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
A delightful romp. Workaholic Kate, who works for a PR agency, is beaten to promotion by her obnoxious ex-boyfriend, but unexpectedly secures a contract for her firm with a Dane who wants to open a lifestyle home and furnishings store in London. As part of the deal, she has to take a party of journalists to Copenhagen. Interspersed with hilarious incidents of six reporters behaving badly are loving encounters with Danish food, descriptions of Copenhagen, and a burgeoning romance seasoned with ma ...more
Mam Yanisa
Jun 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is one of the cutest book I have ever read so far and I adore it very much. It is very light-hearted and easily puts a smile on my face. The very simple yet cozy description of the Danish 'Hygge' makes me wonder and want to explore more about it. It is a nice book to read when you are having a hard time because it is warm and consoling. The plot is not complicated and will not give you a headache. ...more
Kaisha (The Writing Garnet)
All reviews can be found on my blog at https://thewritinggarnet.wordpress.com

-sits swooning at the book cover-.

Oh, sorry. Will my swooning not count as a review? Fiiiiinnnneeeee!!

I’m sure you will agree with me that this cover is rather pretty, right? Thankfully, the story behind the cover is just as pretty, which makes Julie Caplin’s novel, in my eyes, the complete package.

People often say that the only person you can trust is yourself. Unfortunately for Kate Sinclair, I don’t think she got tha
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Though I try so hard not to request egalleys that are later books in a series, sometimes I fuck up. I requested the third book in this series thinking it was a standalone. Whoops. Book research fail. Often when I make this mistake, I end up disliking the first book when I try to read it and just whomp whomping off, so I was annoyed that none of the libraries I can access had it and I had to buy the ebook. But hey Mikey, she liked it.

The Little Café in Copenhagen hits some great high notes though
Claire
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Little Cafe in Copenhagen is a fabulous book. Full of great characters, especially Kate and Eva. The story develops well and I found myself totally drawn in from the first page.

This is the first book I’ve read by this author and after a couple of chapters I knew I would want to read more by her. The book is full of romance, happiness and warmth and the descriptions transport you instantly to Copenhagen.

This book is the perfect read to accompany a cuppa and a comfy sofa. Embrace the concept
Sammy
It's not really my kind of book, but it's not bad for what it is. Having said that, it certainly was the most predictable book I've read in... probably decades! Every single plot angle, for both main and secondary characters, was extremely obvious long before it actually came into play. I suppose people look for that in a cozy romance though? (Not sure, as I say, not my genre.)
Anyway, it's an easy, quick read, and more likable that most of its type I've read (even if the MC did admit to having b
Jeanie
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous warm and witty

This is my first time reading anything by this author
It's a real warm feel good factor book
Kate keeps you mesmerized through out the book life at times is a bit of a struggle but she knows what she wants
Copenhagen is such a beautiful city how could you not fall in love
Bùt is it the right man!!.
Theresa
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-books
I Loved this book have fallen in love with copenhagen! I loved the storyline couldn't stop reading this book loved the characters. ...more

• From Italy With Love
  • From Rome with Love
  • Covent Garden in the Snow
  • Listopád
  • Escape to the Riviera
  • Der kleine Teeladen zum Glück (Valerie Lane, #1)
  • Notting Hill in the Snow
  • Azaelov pád
  • The Hygge Holiday
  • The Saturday Morning Park Run
  • Een kopje geluk (De koffiesalon #3)
  • Happy Ever After – Wo Geschichten neu beginnen (Happy-Ever-After-Reihe 3): Roman
  • Een dubbele shot liefde (De koffiesalon #2)
  • From Paris With Love This Christmas
  • The Cottage on Sunshine Beach (Sandcastle Bay, #2)
  • Hattie's Home for Broken Hearts
  • Coming Home to Merriment Bay: Part Four: Starry Skies
  • Spring on the Little Cornish Isles: The Flower Farm
See top shelves…
Julie Caplin is addicted to travel and good food. She’s on a constant hunt for the perfect gin and is obsessively picky about glasses, tonic and garnishes. Between regular gin tastings, she’s been writing her debut novel which is set in just one of the many cities she’s explored over the years.

Formerly a PR director, for many years she swanned around Europe taking top food and drink writers on pre

Romantic Escapes (8 books)
  • The Little Brooklyn Bakery (Romantic Escapes, #2)
  • The Little Paris Patisserie (Romantic Escapes, #3)
  • The Northern Lights Lodge (Romantic Escapes, #4)
  • The Secret Cove in Croatia  (Romantic Escapes, #5)
  • The Little Teashop in Tokyo (Romantic Escapes, #6)
  • The Little Swiss Ski Chalet (Romantic Escapes, #7)
  • The Cosy Cottage in Ireland (Romantic Escapes,  #8)

News & Interviews

One of the great pleasures of historical fiction is the time-travel element. In the hands of a skilled author, works of historical fiction can...
“Being a teacher seemed to involve carting around an awful lot of stuff.” 3 likes
“Food needs to be made with love. Everything tastes better when it’s made with love.” 2 likes