Start by marking “The Little Book of Stoicism: Timeless Wisdom to Gain Resilience, Confidence, and Calmness” as Want to Read:

“How long are you going to wait before you demand the best for yourself?”
– Epictetus, Stoic philosopher

Where can you find joy? Gain strength? How should we face our fears? Deal with the death of a loved one? And what about those reoccurring depressing thoughts?

While traditional schooling doesn’t address such questions, it’s exactly what ancient schools of philosophy were

Published January 18th 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Little Book of Stoicism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Book of Stoicism

Start your review of The Little Book of Stoicism: Timeless Wisdom to Gain Resilience, Confidence, and Calmness
Vishnu Chevli
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Every year while making resolution of reading activity, we specifically give % of books/pages to be read for different language/genre than our comfort zone. We also give certain % books/slot assigned to foreign authors as variation/diversity brings new ideas/information for us. Till now we have tried biographies, parenting, memoirs, business cases/concepts, even, and semi herbology, but philosophy is the first time for us. Frankly speaking, I was not aware of the word (subject) in detail when I ...more
Danielle Cumberland
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mixed feelings on this book. The philosophy itself is interesting and I largely agree with the principles of Stoicism. The layout of the book did a very fine job of breaking Stoicism down into actionable bites; in fact, I took extensive notes in a journal so I can practice some of the points better.

UPDATE 7/24/19: I have cut my criticisms of this book and changed my review rating from two to four stars. I did this because the author, Jonas Salzgeber, contacted me directly and discussed the
Anthony
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. All opinions are my own.

In the age of the internet and growing technology, authors Jonas and Nils Salzgeber have brought the ancient philosophy of Stoicism to the modern age and have found a way to show readers how to adopt this philosophy to everyday life in their novel, “The Little Book of Stoicism: Timeless Wisdom to Gain Resilience, Confidence and Calmness”. Here is the synopsis.

The Synopsis

“How long are you going
Hamza El Moussaoui
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent reading I pretty much enjoyed this book
Tenzin Chemi
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The practices laid out in this book is very close to what I have read in 37 verses of the practice of bodhisattvas. We need more Stoics in this world than ever before, it shows you how and why it is important to live a life that's not only honorable but healthy and fulfilling one. I did not get tired or bored while reading, it just strengthened my own beliefs. Thank you Jonas, for this little book of stoicism.
Bastard Travel
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Our man Salzgeber opens this cute little think piece with:
"So you went to school for twelve years, then college for four to ten more, and come out the other side realizing they didn't teach you dick about how to be alive. All you learned was math, and not even the useful tax evasion math. Well, good news. These four dead guys figured it out two millennia ago."

And from there, he rattles off the hits. Epictetus, Seneca, Musonius Rufus, and my long-time #MCM Marcus Aurelius. Here's why:

"When you
Kevin Tumlinson
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent primer on the philosophy and practice of stoicism

I thought I was new to stoicism. Turns out, I’ve been studying it my entire life, unawares, thanks to the many thought leaders and masters I’ve read and followed. From Christ to Covey, the concepts underlying Stoicism have been right in the mix, all this time.

This book highlighted all of that for me, refreshing and introducing concepts and practices I could incorporate or reincorporate into my thinking and daily habits. This guide
Andrei Vlad
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Can be repetitive at times but it's easy to read and understand the presented concepts
Nick Upton
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Helpful and interesting all the way through. Even the parts the author labelled boring and tedious himself were interesting. Something I'll keep referring back to even though I've finished reading it. Helped put a lot of things into perspective and gave me different ideas on how to deal with various situations. As someone who suffers with depression and anxiety, this book was a huge help to me and I'd honestly recommend it to anybody. If the author reads this, thank you!
Shirley Chua
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stoicism: Very truthful and powerful wisdom. This book's gonna motivate a lot of us to start examining our characters and our lives. I hope we will start practicing stoicism and experiencing a new way of living that will lead to more tranquility and less emotional sufferings in our lives.

Jonas has made the theory so easy to grasp and yet he covered all the details we need to understand before practicing it in our real lives. The practical part of the book helps us to pay attention to and apply
Tomas Laurinavicius
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great book for everyone looking for life wisdom

Stoics fascinated me for a long time. This book provides a great introduction to Stoicism as a life philosophy. Recommend it for everyone!
Tomas
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the third book I have read about Stoicism and it was completely unnecessary. I had a feeling that the Author read couple of books like the idea and wrote a book about it like it was some sort of mix between self-help and high-school essay. The book puts emphasis on the practices that you should do in order to be happier but there is a lot of repetition and motivational stuff which really puts me off. I would recommend to read (1) if you are starting (2) if you want to get serious and to ...more
Huong Linh
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is small, I finished in two days.
This book puts into words what I have been trying to practice and better myself in recent years. And I see a lot of teachings quite similar to what Buddhism has been preaching for all these years. The book does not only show you what stoicims is but also how to practice it. It's quite tough to learn how to control your reaction and thinking but being aware is already powerful and the great start to go.
Brad Revell
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: how-tos, happiness
My review is here: https://www.bradrevell.com/2019/05/th...

Three key takeaways from the book:

1. We’re naturally evolved to approach what feels good and avoid what feels bad (think procrastination). This is our survival instinct and it is incredibly influencing. Said differently, what feels right to do is often not the right thing to do.
2. The author’s important stoic principles are to focus on what you can control, to accept reality as it is and to take responsibility for your life as it is
Jim Bradrick
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve yet to run across a textbook like introduction to Stoic Philosophy. That is until now. Jonas Salzgeber has done an excellent job of distilling and explaining the three core principles of Stoicism and then delving into concrete ways to begin improving one’s life with them. In fact, the book ends with 55 Stoic practices that can get you well on your way to being your best self “moment to moment to moment”. If you’ve wanted to explore the Stoic Philosophy but in a structured approach, then ...more
Randy L. Smith
May 26, 2019 rated it liked it
"Say Only What Is Not Better Left Unsaid".
Prakhar
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is the very best work I've read that organizes the teachings of all stoics in one small book. I love how simple, organized and useful this book is. Thanks, Jonas.
Hal Mahaffey
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This one is a little tough to review. The writing style reads a bit like the book was written as a college term paper. And yet the structure is sound, the presentation fairly smooth and professional, laying out the basic tenets of Stoicism logically, so each concept builds well on the previous.

But while there may be more scholarly tomes on Stoicism, this little gem covers all its aspects in a highly readable way. The quotes from Marcus Aurelius (a new hero of mine), Seneca and Epictetus that
Happy Booker
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The little book of Stoicism is a book geared towards bettering your life using Stoic Philosophy. The book begins by providing a brief explanation of the history of Stoicism. The philosophy of what it means and how effective the practices, meditations are for our daily life. I particularly enjoyed how the author compartmentalized the ideas into more straightforward and understandable wording. By using old techniques and philosophy, it addresses modern and complex issues we face today.

The
Rodolfo
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the starting point if you want to learn about Stoicism. We all need to choose a philosophy and some point in life, this was mine.

This books tell you something at the very beggining... nowadays we don't have to strive to survive anymore, we need to learn how to live. I agree at some level, but the thing is, many people need to fight for survival yet, thus many lessons (55 are in this book) could be detrimental for them.

I've chosen to follow only those lessons I want, and I'm okay with it.
Marc Beer
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everytime when I encountered philosophy in my educational biography, I shut down. Old men with a toga or a wig are trying to explain the life packed into a tangled mass of incomprehensible words and sentences.
I'm self-reflective enough that it would have been better for me if I had listened to them or if I had read what they wrote.
On the other hand, many of the modern books about self-help and personal growth didn't offer enough depth in order for me to make true lifestyle and habit changes.
Tej Singh
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jonas has written an incredible book. He explains things so well and comes at it from the same perspective I do as a reader and shares insight and history that I never knew. He really understands stoicism, else he wouldn't be able to explain it as well as he does.

I love this book and it's helping me a lot.
Malcolm Jempson
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A good book to read if you are new to Stoic thinking. It will give to a good grounding in the basics of Stoic thought. I have read other books on Stoicism but the writer has laid the system out so it can be understood easily. It's helped me understand the system a lot better. I can now give people a better idea of want Stoic philosophy is about. Looking forward your next book.
Kevin W. Carr Carr
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I started reading this book and became a bit amazed and amused. It seems I'm a Stoic and didn't know it. It never occurred to me that planning ahead for both good and bad, or always keeping the thought of " shit happens" in the forefront. Was a thing. It's a good read and if you're not careful you may learn something as well.
Nabil
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great book ... It’s kinda the detailed version of Rayn Holliday’s “The Daily Stoic” ... I found this book pretty much insightful on the Stoic philosophy and very practical... you can consider it as guide book to be a Stoic. I loved it. I could have given it a “five star” if there wasn’t a bit of repetitions... but as a whole, it’s acceptable sometimes...
Chris Holmes
Aug 18, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is a great overview that reminds me what I liked about Stoicism when I learned about it in college. Today I'm struck by the parallels between Stoicism and cognitive-behavioral therapy. It's a philosophy that resonates more deeply with me than any religion ever has. This book has inspired me to read and learn more, but I'm docking it a couple of stars because it's redundant and wordy in many places and isn't as "little" as it could be.
P H Brismail
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting and engaging read

I took away a lot from this book, so highly recommend it. The 4 star rating is because of some repetitions. The book could have been a little more concise. But I am glad I plough through it as there a few good points in the last pages.
Sam
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I cannot ever be stoic. I have too strong of emotions. Blame the INFJ crud. However, I do act stoic in certain aspects-negative visualization is actually a thing (prepare for the worse so I can stay calm when it happens), who knew?
Joshua
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am grateful for this read and now for more reasons than one after having finished "The Little Book of Stoicism" and would recommend to another, but to the right person.

Everything is as clear as crystal from messages to meaning, tying some to memorable, sticky, and precise metaphors I'm sure to never forget and as an amateur on the subject, I can only imagine the difficulty it took to gather and compose this life changing book, especially due to how digestible it is. Other reviews I've read
Lilly Tong
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent overview on Stoicism with highly actionable insights. This book has completely changed how I think to how I act. The effects are immediate. I would highly recommend to anyone who wants t o raise their self-awareness and build emotional resilience. This book is a must.
« previous 1 3 next »

• How to Think Like a Roman Emperor: The Stoic Philosophy of Marcus Aurelius
  • Ketofast
  • Juan Salvador Gaviota
  • The Practicing Stoic: A Philosophical User's Manual
  • Stoicism and the Art of Happiness (Teach Yourself)
  • Think Like a Warrior: The Five Inner Beliefs That Make You Unstoppable (Sports for the Soul Book 1)
  • The Manual: A Philosopher's Guide to Life (Stoic Philosophy Book 1)
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph
  • The Art of Living: The Classical Manual on Virtue, Happiness and Effectiveness
  • Ego Is the Enemy
  • Why Meditate: Working with Thoughts and Emotions
  • The Daily Stoic: 366 Meditations for Clarity, Effectiveness, and Serenity
  • Meditations
  • The Art of The Argument: Western Civilization's Last Stand
  • The Only Skill that Matters: The Proven Methodology to Read Faster, Remember More, and Become a SuperLearner
  • Discipline Your Thoughts: Uncover The Origins of Your Thoughts, Correct Common Thinking Errors, and Critically and Logically Assess Your Beliefs
  • Finish What You Start: The Art of Following Through, Taking Action, Executing, & Self-Discipline
Jonas Salzgeber is an author and writes for a small army of remarkable people at NJlifehacks.com. On his quest to be the best he can be, he stumbled upon Stoicism – and got hooked. At the core of this actionable philosophy lies the goal of leading a happy life even (especially) in the face of adversity.

His practical rather than academic writing style helps people with the most important step: to
“the fragile trees are those grown in a sunny valley.” 1 likes
“You and I, we’re responsible for our own flourishing. We’re responsible for not letting our happiness depend on external circumstances—we shouldn’t let the rain, annoying strangers, or a leaking washing machine decide upon our wellbeing. Otherwise, we become helpless victims of life circumstances out of hand. As a Stoic student, you learn that only you can ruin your life and only you can refuse to let your inner self be conquered by whatever nasty challenge life throws at you.” 1 likes