Start by marking “The Little Book of Stoicism: Timeless Wisdom to Gain Resilience, Confidence, and Calmness” as Want to Read:

“How long are you going to wait before you demand the best for yourself?”
– Epictetus, Stoic philosopher

Where can you find joy? Gain strength? How should we face our fears? Deal with the death of a loved one? And what about those reoccurring depressing thoughts?

While traditional schooling doesn’t address such questions, it’s exactly what ancient schools of philosophy were a

Published January 18th 2019 (first published January 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Book of Stoicism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Book of Stoicism

Start your review of The Little Book of Stoicism: Timeless Wisdom to Gain Resilience, Confidence, and Calmness
Danielle Cumberland
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mixed feelings on this book. The philosophy itself is interesting and I largely agree with the principles of Stoicism. The layout of the book did a very fine job of breaking Stoicism down into actionable bites; in fact, I took extensive notes in a journal so I can practice some of the points better.

UPDATE 7/24/19: I have cut my criticisms of this book and changed my review rating from two to four stars. I did this because the author, Jonas Salzgeber, contacted me directly and discussed the shor
Vishnu Chevli
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Every year while making resolution of reading activity, we specifically give % of books/pages to be read for different language/genre than our comfort zone. We also give certain % books/slot assigned to foreign authors as variation/diversity brings new ideas/information for us. Till now we have tried biographies, parenting, memoirs, business cases/concepts, even, and semi herbology, but philosophy is the first time for us. Frankly speaking, I was not aware of the word (subject) in detail when I ...more
Diz
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: philosophy
This is stoicism written as a self-help book. It felt more like a sales job than an insightful book on stoicism. It's written in a jokey, breezy, and chummy manner that feels a little bit like a used car salesman trying a little too hard to be your best friend when you just want to buy a car. Also, it's incredibly repetitive--not just between chapters but from paragraph to paragraph. You'll read a paragraph that makes the exact same point as the paragraph before it.

If you're interested in stoici
Tomas
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the third book I have read about Stoicism and it was completely unnecessary. I had a feeling that the Author read couple of books like the idea and wrote a book about it like it was some sort of mix between self-help and high-school essay. The book puts emphasis on the practices that you should do in order to be happier but there is a lot of repetition and motivational stuff which really puts me off. I would recommend to read (1) if you are starting (2) if you want to get serious and to ...more
blueisthenewpink
I really liked the ideas in this book. How philosophy used to be more something like today's psychology. There is mindfulness, minimalism and modern psychology in these two-thousand-year-old ideas to guide your behaviour. (And some zen but that's not new either.)

It teaches you to care about your own behaviour and reactions and nothing else, because those are the only things in your power. Everything else is not, so you shouldn't try to control them or be upset about them, just let them go. Easie
Tenzin Chemi
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The practices laid out in this book is very close to what I have read in 37 verses of the practice of bodhisattvas. We need more Stoics in this world than ever before, it shows you how and why it is important to live a life that's not only honorable but healthy and fulfilling one. I did not get tired or bored while reading, it just strengthened my own beliefs. Thank you Jonas, for this little book of stoicism.
Anthony
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. All opinions are my own.

In the age of the internet and growing technology, authors Jonas and Nils Salzgeber have brought the ancient philosophy of Stoicism to the modern age and have found a way to show readers how to adopt this philosophy to everyday life in their novel, “The Little Book of Stoicism: Timeless Wisdom to Gain Resilience, Confidence and Calmness”. Here is the synopsis.

The Synopsis

“How long are you going
Bastard Travel
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Our man Salzgeber opens this cute little think piece with:
"So you went to school for twelve years, then college for four to ten more, and come out the other side realizing they didn't teach you dick about how to be alive. All you learned was math, and not even the useful tax evasion math. Well, good news. These four dead guys figured it out two millennia ago."

And from there, he rattles off the hits. Epictetus, Seneca, Musonius Rufus, and my long-time #MCM Marcus Aurelius. Here's why:

"When you fi
Tamera
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I think this is a very accessible book and worth reading if you would like a basic understanding of stoic philosophy. There were many lessons and concepts that I found highly useful, thought-provoking and absolutely worth practicing. However, I thought that what made it accessible also sometimes made it shallow, and overall, I found the 55 lessons to be very repetitive. Still happy I picked it up, but may or may not recommend.
Christoffer Hagenmalm
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a copy from the author himself with a handwritten note to me, which was super cool. I've read Salzgeber's work online, too, so this was a real treat.

The first thing that strikes me is what a good writer he is. His vocabulary alone is marvelous. But then the way he strings sentences together and makes the good old Stoics come alive is nothing short of remarkable.

Then the whole structure of the book where the first parts are about the historical background of Stoicism. And all the class
Moss 慈映夢図
Jul 06, 2020 rated it liked it
The book does live up to the title. Plenty of timeless wisdom from key figures in philosophy from Rufus to Seneca etc and all as relevant as ever.

The problem is that Salzgeber shoves his own writing style around the classic quotations and it comes off like he's trying way too hard to 'level' with us. It was like being patronized by a guy in the pub or like a 1st year grad student over-explaining some pretty self-explanatory life lessons (as if he were deigned to clarify them himself). I can pict
Michael Milad
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice and simple introduction to Stoicism, has a good balance of theory and practical advice
Farhan Khalid
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Socrates’ question: How to live a good life?

The Stoics focused on applying philosophy to everyday challenges, on developing a good character and becoming better human beings who excelled in life and cared about other people and nature itself

The idea of Stoicism found its way into many writings of historical philosophers such as Descartes, Schopenhauer, and Thoreau

Seneca was born around the time of Jesus in Cordoba, Spain, and educated in Rome, Italy

Since every man dies, it is better to die with
Konstantinos
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is basically split in two parts. The first part is an introduction to stoicism, it tells a brief story of the first stoic philosophers, and what the goal of „stoicism“ is. The second part consists of 55 practices, these are 1-3 page notes about certain situations that may happen in your everyday or challenges you may face. The „practices“ are always introduced with a quote from a famous stoic philosopher, which the author then deeply explains with examples from everyday life.

I really e
Hamza El Moussaoui
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent reading I pretty much enjoyed this book
Kati
Mar 07, 2020 rated it liked it
I was looking for a solid, basic overview of classical Stoicism before diving into translations of the original Roman texts. I've tried some others, but found that most authors injected too much of their personal opinions, including some that were completely antithetical to classic Stocism. So when I saw complaints that this book was 'too much like a term paper' and 'he's too young to have put his own spin on it, he's just quoting other people', my reaction was "thank goodness!"

Overall, it's a s
Kevin Tumlinson
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent primer on the philosophy and practice of stoicism

I thought I was new to stoicism. Turns out, I’ve been studying it my entire life, unawares, thanks to the many thought leaders and masters I’ve read and followed. From Christ to Covey, the concepts underlying Stoicism have been right in the mix, all this time.

This book highlighted all of that for me, refreshing and introducing concepts and practices I could incorporate or reincorporate into my thinking and daily habits. This guide pre
Nick Upton
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Helpful and interesting all the way through. Even the parts the author labelled boring and tedious himself were interesting. Something I'll keep referring back to even though I've finished reading it. Helped put a lot of things into perspective and gave me different ideas on how to deal with various situations. As someone who suffers with depression and anxiety, this book was a huge help to me and I'd honestly recommend it to anybody. If the author reads this, thank you!
Chris Holmes
Aug 18, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is a great overview that reminds me what I liked about Stoicism when I learned about it in college. Today I'm struck by the parallels between Stoicism and cognitive-behavioral therapy. It's a philosophy that resonates more deeply with me than any religion ever has. This book has inspired me to read and learn more, but I'm docking it a couple of stars because it's redundant and wordy in many places and isn't as "little" as it could be.
Nabil
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great book ... It’s kinda the detailed version of Rayn Holliday’s “The Daily Stoic” ... I found this book pretty much insightful on the Stoic philosophy and very practical... you can consider it as guide book to be a Stoic. I loved it. I could have given it a “five star” if there wasn’t a bit of repetitions... but as a whole, it’s acceptable sometimes...
Randy L. Smith
May 26, 2019 rated it liked it
"Say Only What Is Not Better Left Unsaid".
Shrek
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Nice
Ivaylo Durmonski
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
The Little Book of Stoicism is a Stoic book for the modern men and women. Jonas Salzgeber analyzes the most famous teachings of Stoic gurus and presents us with 55 practical implementations of these timeless principles.

Most of what’s shared in the book already exists in other Stoic books but the author nicely uncovers the well-known old-school maxims and allows us to understand, and implement them in our daily lives.

The book is good for both beginners in this philosophy and also for folks who co
Gregg
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
A neat, user-friendly guide to the practice, beginning with the history and theory of the philosophy and, in the second half, a list of 55 or so exercises/practices for the willing and disciplined adherent to undergo. Salzgeber embeds material from Marcus Aurelius, Epictetus and the other usual suspects with his discussion, as well as other contemporary books and writers. His contemporary examples often approach the banal, but that doesn’t make them useless; his style is informed but not pedanti ...more
David
May 15, 2020 added it
Fun and Deep

A fun, comprehensive, easy to read book about a great philosophy to live by. Very current and deseperately needed today.
Andrei Vlad
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Can be repetitive at times but it's easy to read and understand the presented concepts
Pradyuman Singh Rajput
Aug 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Beginners guide to Stoic Philosophy
- The Only Practical Wisdom From The Ages You Will Ever Need
Shu Omi
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really wish I'd read this book sooner. It literally changed how I see the world. I strongly hope more people read this wonderful book filled with wisdoms.
Shirley Chua
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stoicism: Very truthful and powerful wisdom. This book's gonna motivate a lot of us to start examining our characters and our lives. I hope we will start practicing stoicism and experiencing a new way of living that will lead to more tranquility and less emotional sufferings in our lives.

Jonas has made the theory so easy to grasp and yet he covered all the details we need to understand before practicing it in our real lives. The practical part of the book helps us to pay attention to and apply
Tomas Laurinavicius
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great book for everyone looking for life wisdom

Stoics fascinated me for a long time. This book provides a great introduction to Stoicism as a life philosophy. Recommend it for everyone!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• How to Think Like a Roman Emperor: The Stoic Philosophy of Marcus Aurelius
  • Stoicism and the Art of Happiness (Teach Yourself)
  • A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy
  • The Practicing Stoic: A Philosophical User's Manual
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • Stop Procrastinating: A Simple Guide to Hacking Laziness, Building Self Discipline, and Overcoming Procrastination
  • How to Be a Stoic: Using Ancient Philosophy to Live a Modern Life
  • A Handbook for New Stoics: How to Thrive in a World Out of Your Control—52 Week-by-Week Lessons
  • The Manual: A Philosopher's Guide to Life (Stoic Philosophy Book 1)
  • Ego Is the Enemy
  • Courage Under Fire: Testing Epictetus's Doctrines in a Laboratory of Human Behavior
  • Lives of the Stoics: The Art of Living from Zeno to Marcus Aurelius
  • The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph
  • KetoFast: Rejuvenate Your Health with a Step-by-Step Guide to Timing Your Ketogenic Meals
  • The Daily Stoic: 366 Meditations for Clarity, Effectiveness, and Serenity
  • Meditations
  • The Beginner's Guide to Stoicism: Tools for Emotional Resilience and Positivity
Jonas Salzgeber is an author and writes for a small army of remarkable people at NJlifehacks.com. On his quest to be the best he can be, he stumbled upon Stoicism – and got hooked. At the core of this actionable philosophy lies the goal of leading a happy life even (especially) in the face of adversity.

His practical rather than academic writing style helps people with the most important step: to p

News & Interviews

“You and I, we’re responsible for our own flourishing. We’re responsible for not letting our happiness depend on external circumstances—we shouldn’t let the rain, annoying strangers, or a leaking washing machine decide upon our wellbeing. Otherwise, we become helpless victims of life circumstances out of hand. As a Stoic student, you learn that only you can ruin your life and only you can refuse to let your inner self be conquered by whatever nasty challenge life throws at you.” 2 likes
“the fragile trees are those grown in a sunny valley.” 1 likes