Start by marking “The Uncertain Certainty: Interviews, Essays, and Notes on Poetry” as Want to Read:
The Uncertain Certainty: Interviews, Essays, and Notes on Poetry

The Uncertain Certainty: Interviews, Essays, and Notes on Poetry

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  54 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Provides a critical and autobiographical context for viewing Simic's poetry
Published January 30th 1986 by University of Michigan Press

Stephen Brooke
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, essays
Although I can’t claim to be a great fan of Charles Simic’s poetry – I don’t dislike it or anything but it’s not quite my cup of metaphor – I did find this little collection of essays and interviews (mostly from the Seventies) somewhat enjoyable. It’s always interesting to have a look into another writer’s inner workings.

Even if one disagrees with some of the ideas expressed, having them laid out for examination, having explanations, is useful. Those explanations may not always be satisfying, of
Michael
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really liked this little book. Simic’s thoughts on poetry and writing and the world are always challenging and insightful. While I have difficulty with understanding all he says - I follow enough of it to really delight in it. His perspective on the writing life is both not all that unusual for poets, and completely unusual in his content. And what an interesting biography (though The Orphan Factory touched on that more - it still resonates here). I look forward to reading more of his good wor ...more
Anne
May 06, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: writers, and not just poets. Simic fans
This was a terrific book -- even (in fact, especially) the interviews. Usually I have an aversion to such things, but Simic has such astute, beautiful (and often surprising) observations on all things poetry. It made me itch to get back to the computer and write! (For anyone who loves prose poems, read his fantastic book THE WORLD DOESN'T END.)
Randy
May 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
To read "A Retired School Teacher in Galoshes"- just the title...was almost worth the price of admission. Reading that one page essay made me feel that my $16.95 & reading time was well spent, invested and paid the lingering dividend that poetry provides.
Simic.
If you don't like poetry or claim that you don't get it...read Simic.
Aurelio Giardini
Brian Foley
Dec 01, 2009
Sagirah
Mar 22, 2012
Charles Simic (born Dušan Simić) is a Serbian-American poet and the 15th Poet Laureate of the United States. He is co-Poetry Editor of the Paris Review. Simic is the 2007 recipient of the Wallace Stevens Award from the Academy of American Poets. This $100,000 (US) prize recognizes outstanding and proven mastery in the art of poetry.
More about Charles Simic...