Start by marking “Raising Good Humans: A Mindful Guide to Breaking the Cycle of Reactive Parenting and Raising Kind, Confident Kids” as Want to Read:

“A wise and fresh approach to mindful parenting.”
—Tara Brach, author of
Radical Acceptance

A kinder, more compassionate world starts with kind and compassionate kids. In Raising Good Humans, you’ll find powerful and practical strategies to break free from “reactive parenting” habits and raise kind, cooperative, and confident kids.

Whether you’re running late for school
Published December 1st 2019 by New Harbinger Publications

To ask other readers questions about Raising Good Humans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising Good Humans

Start your review of Raising Good Humans: A Mindful Guide to Breaking the Cycle of Reactive Parenting and Raising Kind, Confident Kids
Kimberly
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book should be called "How to be a Good Human". There is so much good stuff here that is unlike most parenting books that I've seen out there. (Although through Hunter's work, I am beginning to discover more like-minded practitioners who support this type of thinking, parenting, and living.) This book is not a "how to" guide in the sense that you can find quick fixes when every new little thing pops up. It's more of a mind shift. It's helped me to think about my behaviors and those of my ch ...more
Brenda Daun
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review:

A different kind of parenting book that was more forgiving and thorough than others I have read in the past. This book focuses on the practice of mindfulness, and how increasing our awareness of what’s happening inside our body can help us be more intentional and present parents.

This book breaks down why it’s so hard to be a good parent, and what we can do to create lasting change. It also explains what’s happening inside a
Jennica
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. I've practiced mindfulness with running, and I'm excited to apply this to every day life as well. Although mindfulness takes practice, it is very relaxing. I love that this book shows you how to open communication with not only your child but also others in your life. The techniques are easy to do- so simple! Why have I not been doing them?

Some of the communication techniques sounded cheesy but the reasoning behind it all makes so much sense. I realize I'll have to practice harder at
Michelle
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book draws from other excellent parenting books to give a range of advice and tools for parenting, along with examples. The first half of the book is how to take care of yourself and the second half is how to parent in different situations. I wasn't sure what to expect based on the title - by "a mindful guide" they mean mindfulness practices are going to be covered in detail. You don't have to be 100% on board to take a lot from this book.

I took notes and will be reading the recommended res
Amanda
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was a slower read for me because it was and the slowness allowed me to contemplate the ideas. This book delves into mindfulness and points to a few other books that I have read but it had some transformational ideas for me too. This expects parents to do work on themselves in order to help their children and themselves in the long run. An important read for parents and people who regularly interact with children.
Emily Souder
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a helpful primer for parents who are being introduced to concepts of mindfulness and how to parent in a mindful, connected way. It also serves as a great refresher for those who are practiced in mindfulness skills, as we can all benefit from reminders!
Kristine
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love the parenting ideas in this book. I wish the author would have elaborated more on mindfulness, parenting strategies, and real life scenarios. Other than that, I learned some great information on parenting in a calm and effective way.
Lisa Krigbaum
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Started in February - finally finished!
Darcey
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a mother and parental mental health clinician, I highly value growth and thus spend great amounts of time reading parenting materials. Most are good, and generally helpful, however Raising Good Humans was extraordinary! What I love most about Hunter's approach is that she introduces readers to the oh so important biochemistry of the brain under stress while offering a compassionate framework to guide parents through specific exercises to retrain our brains. Of all the parenting books on my ni ...more
Stephanie
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wish I could have read this book upon becoming a new parent years ago. This book is perfect and a wonderful resource for new and seasoned parents. My children and 13 and 11 and I plan to use the tools in this book. My new mantra for parenting is “Coach instead of control.” Additionally, the part of handling sibling conflict will be a big help. This is a parent must have resource!
Jennie
I thought this was very well done and has given me a lot to think about, and some tools that are already changing the way I interact with my kiddos.

I do wish it had included some examples for tweenagers and teenagers. When the problems become bigger and harder to navigate. Also, a section on parenting special needs kids would've been really wonderful...autism, sensory processing, food allergies, etc.
Jan Verhoeff
Oct 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Whose problem is it anyway? Who owns this problem? Parenting can be challenging at any age, and sometimes it moves over into parenting adult children, or grandchildren. So, don’t assume you’re not still raising good humans because there aren’t any little fellows wandering around your home every day.

The influence you have over the good people in your coffee shop might be as intense as the influence you had over your child “back in the day”. I find it tiring to think of all the people that have b
Chrystal
Nov 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
This could not be more perfect for right now. Mindfulness - not only for helping your child, but helping yourself too.

Working on yourself, showing your children how you fix things when you make mistakes and that it's okay to not be perfect.

There is talk about what happens in your child's brain, especially when they are acting up and how to handle your reactions by being more mindful on what you say, how you deal with the issue at hand.

This will be a book that I revisit when I need a reminder
Julie
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Raising Good Humans brings raising children into the modern era. The book explores topics applicable to the modern parent, and arms readers with strategies and techniques to become more mindful parents resulting in independent and confident kids. She tackles important topics such as mindfulness, compassion, mindful listening, and creative problem solving. She also addresses responsibility and chores as part of building a child’s independence.

I absolutely loved this book of mindful parenting and
Elena
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I wish I had read this when my kids were younger. If I was in the right mindset, it likely would've saved me a lot of heartache. How do you raise good humans? By working on yourself, not your kid. By learning to recognize what gets under your skin and learning to control your reaction, you create a relationship with your kid whereby they respond to you in a loving way rather than an adversarial way.
I know, it sounds obvious, right? In reading her examples, however, that's not what I was doing at
Gowri Sudhir
Nov 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
One parenting book I would recommend for all parents, parents to be... Very well put together.. trying to implement the practices mentioned in this book on a daily basis is extremely challenging. Being in the moment, react less, observe more, staying calm amid a mega meltdown and being mindful while parenting etc have definitely helped me a great deal in my endeavour to be a better parent and I’m still learning everyday... parenting is not easy and what was reassuring to learn from this book was ...more
Jen Milette
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a mom of two young children who works full-time, I needed an easy, accessible guide with tools that I could use immediately. This is not a quick fix and forget about it read. Raising kids is the role of a lifetime. Raising Good Humans is a practice. Each chapter has suggested practices that makes incorporating mindfulness doable and as not to overwhelm with another to-do in a busy jam-packed life.

Each encounter with my children provides fertile ground to hone my mindfulness practice. Hunter
Debbie
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting, 2020
This is one of the best, if not the best, parenting books I've read. I am familiar with this "theory" of parenting and have read some of the books the author mentions. So it wasn't all new information but naturally it's easy to forget what we think we know. She addresses this right off the bat. We can "know" all we want but how do we put it into practice? She does a great job helping bridge that gap. It was so much more comprehensive than other parenting books in the same genre I've read. Some b ...more
Lisa
May 15, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked the way this book was divided into two parts, one focusing on the parent and the other focusing on parenting. I agreed with the majority of it. My biggest issue is using the whole "I message" technique as your main discipline. I've read about it before and I think it can be used effectively at times, however, the more I use it the less it works. I find my kids need some loving authoritarianism as well. With two very active, strong-willed, sometimes defiant boys, parenting can be a challe ...more
Michael Esquivel
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
There are a couple pieces of advice that I will take with me after reading this book, but a lot of this seemed like common sense. Not that I’m the perfect parent, but isn’t it obvious that we should put our cell phones down when our children want to talk to us? I’m not sure what I was expecting, but this wasn’t it. I didn’t want a book where I would have to journal and/or engage in various mindful activities. Nothing wrong with that, but that’s just not the kind of book I was looking for when I ...more
Diane
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I had the joy of interviewing Hunter for my podcast and, not only was it a joy to speak with her, I was thrilled to discuss her new book, Raising Good Humans. This is a wisely written book full of personal stories and vulnerability. I’ve never been one to believe in meditation; however, taking a few minutes to begin the day with a mindfulness practice really has helped my attitude towards my children. I appreciated that she included many mindfulness practices throughout the book. Great first boo ...more
Gena - My Book Reviews for You
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-first
This book will provide you with ways to calm down, ways to handle frustrations differently, and ways to communicate differently. It will provide tools to practice and use to better communicate with your children. It’s a reminder to take care of yourself with sleep and exercise. To pause and take a break at times of frustration. Hopefully you will learn ways to do things differently and even better.
Lux
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful read very clear information and usable skills to implement immediately the book is good for parents of all ages my daughter is a freshman in college now and it has really enhance our ability to talk and discuss issues in manners that are productive I’ve also use some of these techniques at work as a teacher it’s just amazing I’ve started to fall the podcast now wonderful wonderful tool
Courtney S
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A powerful book any modern parent should have in their toolbox for not only does it help us raise good humans - it helps us as parents also be ones! Hunter’s writing style is like a warm friend who truly cares about you and your kids. If you want to be a more mindful, loving, grounded parent and raise children who are the same this is a game-changing read!
Larisa Barth
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I was saying “YES” throughout this entire book! Hunter writes from experience and that’s what parents need and want. Understanding how our minds work is so helpful to break the cycle of responding to our children from our stress and overwhelm. I highly recommend this book and it just might be the only parenting book you will ever need to read!
Amanda
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
One of the better parenting books I have read. This book helps you look at yourself and your actions and responses instead of giving you ways to "control" your child's behavior. I appreciated that the author recognizes the child as a human being with feelings and emotions that should be acknowledged. Lots of practical tips here for parents of infants all the way thru teenagers.
GoldenGerbera
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Simple, concentrated, sometimes witty. At first I was sceptical when i read forward with praises by Carla Naumburg (because her book is very, let's say, unpleasant), but it is ok. Sometimes funny in not so good way, as some advices from stay-at-home-Moms can be, but most suggestions in this book can definitelly be usefull!
Amandanoel
Oct 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is super in line with my style of parenting and I uncovered a lot. But I can also see how it wouldn’t be other people’s jam. I also felt like the first half of the book provided a lot more examples and reflection than the second half of the book? But overall a great parenting read. And oh boy was the yelling log an eye-opener
Cassandra
Nov 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy.

A book filled with excellent pointers that will truly help deal with kids no matter if you are a parent or just someone who is around children. I think it will make a great gift for first time parents. Most humans will get something from the well thought out chapters.
Jenna
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Relatable and real. Reading Raising Good Humans felt like meeting a wise mom friend for coffee and soaking up all the lessons she learned. Helpful exercises woven throughout the book keep the reader engaged and on track for successfully raising good humans.

• Charlotte's Web
  • Sybil: The Classic True Story of a Woman Possessed by Sixteen Personalities
  • How to Stop Losing Your Sh*t with Your Kids: A Practical Guide to Becoming a Calmer, Happier Parent
  • Where the Wild Things Are
  • The Cat in the Hat (The Cat in the Hat, #1)
  • The Power of Showing Up: How Parental Presence Shapes Who Our Kids Become and How Their Brains Get Wired
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • The Beekeeper of Aleppo
  • If Only I Could Tell You
  • How to Talk so Little Kids Will Listen: A Survival Guide to Life with Children Ages 2-7
  • Christmas Shopaholic
  • Corduroy
  • Lab Girl
  • Welcome to Night Vale (Welcome to Night Vale, #1)
  • Dad Is Fat