Start by marking “Raising Good Humans: A Mindful Guide to Breaking the Cycle of Reactive Parenting and Raising Kind, Confident Kids” as Want to Read:

“A wise and fresh approach to mindful parenting.”
—Tara Brach, author of
Radical Acceptance

A kinder, more compassionate world starts with kind and compassionate kids. In Raising Good Humans, you’ll find powerful and practical strategies to break free from “reactive parenting” habits and raise kind, cooperative, and confident kids.

Whether you’re running late for school,
Published December 1st 2019 by New Harbinger Publications

To ask other readers questions about Raising Good Humans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising Good Humans

Start your review of Raising Good Humans: A Mindful Guide to Breaking the Cycle of Reactive Parenting and Raising Kind, Confident Kids
Kimberly
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book should be called "How to be a Good Human". There is so much good stuff here that is unlike most parenting books that I've seen out there. (Although through Hunter's work, I am beginning to discover more like-minded practitioners who support this type of thinking, parenting, and living.) This book is not a "how to" guide in the sense that you can find quick fixes when every new little thing pops up. It's more of a mind shift. It's helped me to think about my behaviors and those of my ...more
Jennica
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. I've practiced mindfulness with running, and I'm excited to apply this to every day life as well. Although mindfulness takes practice, it is very relaxing. I love that this book shows you how to open communication with not only your child but also others in your life. The techniques are easy to do- so simple! Why have I not been doing them?

Some of the communication techniques sounded cheesy but the reasoning behind it all makes so much sense. I realize I'll have to practice harder at
Darcey
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a mother and parental mental health clinician, I highly value growth and thus spend great amounts of time reading parenting materials. Most are good, and generally helpful, however Raising Good Humans was extraordinary! What I love most about Hunter's approach is that she introduces readers to the oh so important biochemistry of the brain under stress while offering a compassionate framework to guide parents through specific exercises to retrain our brains. Of all the parenting books on my ...more
Stephanie
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wish I could have read this book upon becoming a new parent years ago. This book is perfect and a wonderful resource for new and seasoned parents. My children and 13 and 11 and I plan to use the tools in this book. My new mantra for parenting is “Coach instead of control.” Additionally, the part of handling sibling conflict will be a big help. This is a parent must have resource!
Brenda Daun
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review:

A different kind of parenting book that was more forgiving and thorough than others I have read in the past. This book focuses on the practice of mindfulness, and how increasing our awareness of what’s happening inside our body can help us be more intentional and present parents.

This book breaks down why it’s so hard to be a good parent, and what we can do to create lasting change. It also explains what’s happening inside a
Jen Milette
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a mom of two young children who works full-time, I needed an easy, accessible guide with tools that I could use immediately. This is not a quick fix and forget about it read. Raising kids is the role of a lifetime. Raising Good Humans is a practice. Each chapter has suggested practices that makes incorporating mindfulness doable and as not to overwhelm with another to-do in a busy jam-packed life.

Each encounter with my children provides fertile ground to hone my mindfulness practice. Hunter
Lux
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful read very clear information and usable skills to implement immediately the book is good for parents of all ages my daughter is a freshman in college now and it has really enhance our ability to talk and discuss issues in manners that are productive I’ve also use some of these techniques at work as a teacher it’s just amazing I’ve started to fall the podcast now wonderful wonderful tool
Larisa Barth
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I was saying “YES” throughout this entire book! Hunter writes from experience and that’s what parents need and want. Understanding how our minds work is so helpful to break the cycle of responding to our children from our stress and overwhelm. I highly recommend this book and it just might be the only parenting book you will ever need to read!
Courtney S
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A powerful book any modern parent should have in their toolbox for not only does it help us raise good humans - it helps us as parents also be ones! Hunter’s writing style is like a warm friend who truly cares about you and your kids. If you want to be a more mindful, loving, grounded parent and raise children who are the same this is a game-changing read!
Jenna
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Relatable and real. Reading Raising Good Humans felt like meeting a wise mom friend for coffee and soaking up all the lessons she learned. Helpful exercises woven throughout the book keep the reader engaged and on track for successfully raising good humans.
Carol
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love her approach to parenting and being gentle on ourselves. She explains how our brains are wired to react in certain ways and how to practice mindfulness to be more kind, compassionate parents. This books gives great background information and helpful, easy to apply techniques.
Stacy Lynne
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Any book with an endorsement by Tara Brach (my present day Buddha) is worth the read!
Lalame Lalame
Sandra Evans
rated it did not like it
Gail Greenfield
Monivette
Alice Tan
Julie
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Raising Good Humans brings raising children into the modern era. The book explores topics applicable to the modern parent, and arms readers with strategies and techniques to become more mindful parents resulting in independent and confident kids. She tackles important topics such as mindfulness, compassion, mindful listening, and creative problem solving. She also addresses responsibility and chores as part of building a child’s independence.

I absolutely loved this book of mindful parenting and
Scott Moenning
Kelsey M
Erin Brown
Kelsey
Aug 06, 2019

• The Snowy Day (Peter, #1)
  • Charlotte's Web
  • Sybil: The Classic True Story of a Woman Possessed by Sixteen Personalities
  • Little Heroes: Courageous People Who Changed the World
  • Oh Crap! Potty Training: Everything Modern Parents Need to Know  to Do It Once and Do It Right
  • The Day You Begin
  • Just Ask!: Be Different, Be Brave, Be You
  • Malala's Magic Pencil
  • Sorry I'm Late, I Didn't Want to Come: An Introvert's Year of Living Dangerously
  • Saturday
  • Fight like a Mother: How a Grassroots Movement Took on the Gun Lobby and Why Women Will Change the World
  • We're All Wonders
  • Troublemakers: Lessons in Freedom from Young Children at School
  • Chasing the Bright Side: Embrace Optimism, Activate Your Purpose, and Write Your Own Story
  • Dare to Lead: Brave Work. Tough Conversations. Whole Hearts.
  • I Am Yoga