Start by marking “Raising Good Humans: A Mindful Guide to Breaking the Cycle of Reactive Parenting and Raising Kind, Confident Kids” as Want to Read:

“A wise and fresh approach to mindful parenting.”
—Tara Brach, author of
Radical Acceptance

A kinder, more compassionate world starts with kind and compassionate kids. In Raising Good Humans, you’ll find powerful and practical strategies to break free from “reactive parenting” habits and raise kind, cooperative, and confident kids.

Whether you’re running late for school
Published December 1st 2019 by New Harbinger Publications

Start your review of Raising Good Humans: A Mindful Guide to Breaking the Cycle of Reactive Parenting and Raising Kind, Confident Kids
Candie
Mar 25, 2021 rated it liked it
This book was good but I didn't personally take too much away from it that I haven't already heard before. If you are new to reading parenting books than I would recommend this book but if you have already read books such as Simplicity Parenting, The Whole Brain Child and Peaceful Parenting then I would not reccomend it because I found that it basically just took some of the major themes from those books and crammed them altogether into this one new book.

Another thing to note is that this book i
Kimberly
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book should be called "How to be a Good Human". There is so much good stuff here that is unlike most parenting books that I've seen out there. (Although through Hunter's work, I am beginning to discover more like-minded practitioners who support this type of thinking, parenting, and living.) This book is not a "how to" guide in the sense that you can find quick fixes when every new little thing pops up. It's more of a mind shift. It's helped me to think about my behaviors and those of my ch ...more
Mirage McCloy
Dec 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
More than a parenting book. A book for everyone to grow and become more mindful of their own emotions and thoughts, and in doing so becoming a better human being to others as well.
Nicole
Nov 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
Read How to Talk So Kids Will Listen, and Listen So Kids Will Talk instead. It has many more real world examples and practice scenarios without saying the same things over and over.
Diana Pojar
Jun 26, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting, 2022
This book feels more than a parenting book, especially if you never did any type of mindful practice and/or therapy and I think if you are in this camp, for sure you’ll have stronger take aways from reading this. The first half basically offers and overview on how you can just be a better human for yourself and also with the people around you.
Overall I really liked it! In the last 1/3 for the book there’s more parenting focus and offering concrete solutions and ideas on things that one can do to
Lindsay Van
Sep 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book gave me some good advice on how to mindfully raise my kids in a calm, mutually cooperative environment. It also can double as a method of doing that with all of your relationships. Highly recommend.
Joanna Weatherbie
Apr 19, 2022 rated it really liked it
Great information in this read. I’m always trying to check-in with myself and what’s happening around me and how I’m handling it ( emotionally) 😜 Especially now that I have a busy under 2 running around.

Loved the section on focusing what language am I using* and how to be helpful- without doing too much or too little for her. Also felt the heat with the section where I need to understand and identify if it’s a *you (me) problem or *her problem- just in the last couple days these two tools alone
Lisa
May 15, 2020 rated it liked it
I liked the way this book was divided into two parts, one focusing on the parent and the other focusing on parenting. I agreed with the majority of it. My biggest issue is using the whole "I message" technique as your main discipline. I've read about it before and I think it can be used effectively at times, however, the more I use it the less it works. I find my kids need some loving authoritarianism as well. With two very active, strong-willed, sometimes defiant boys, parenting can be a challe ...more
Megan Cleary
May 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I took away 4 pages of notes and a lot of things to be mindful about. A reactive parent myself, this book had a lot of helpful ways to bring awareness to my own triggers and processing tips for training myself out of those responses. This is probably a book I’ll buy to go back and refresh myself on the practices and trainings.
Lindsay Mast
Jun 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
Definitely recommend this book if you’re interested in mindful parenting. It was helpful in considering mew ideas/theories as well as practical things to do. I recommend using a journal as you go through this book as the author asks great questions to consider and even share with any co-parent. Love a helpful parenting book, and this is one!
Sasha Nelson
Apr 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent book, though admittedly not what I was hoping for. A wonderful primer on mindfulness, which I'm a big fan of. Clarke-Fields sets out to incorporate mindfulness into our daily routines and ultimately into parenting. She has exercises at the end of each chapter which teach mindful meditation. I fully support this approach, but given I got this as an Audiobook and am thankfully not flying off the handle at my kid, I could neither practice nor did it feel urgent, though the boo ...more
Darla Belle
Sep 10, 2021 rated it it was ok
This wasn’t as good as I was expecting it to be … constantly placing blame on why you “have bad parenting habits” on your own parents. I get it everyone’s parents parented in different ways pros and cons.. but trying to place all this blame on why we as new adults are so screwy 100% on our parents is annoying. Like okay get to the next point please. It was very excessive and finger pointy in a really obnoxious way.
Natalie Jucewicz
Jan 15, 2022 rated it liked it
I had high expectations for this book but overall I was disappointed. Very repetitive and I got the majority of the information from the first two chapters and the rest of the book just followed suit from what was said in the beginning of the book.

I was also very familiar with the philosophy of what was shared in this book so maybe that was a reason I was so underwhelmed?
Erin Lyons
Jun 04, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ended up buying book after borrowing from library so I can reference. I’ve been drawn to mindfulness lately and appreciate the tools of using that in my parenting. Especially during the toddler moods we’ve been experiencing :-/
Heather Lin
Dec 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book helped remind me of the way I originally intended to parent, before frustration, helplessness, and a (un)healthy dose of guilt got in the way. It's not gospel. I doubt I'll remember every little detail or that every detail will work for us. But I can say that I've already seen improvement by using suggested techniques like "I" statements, empathy, and active listening skills. The best part is the kids are getting along better. I'm sure I'll feel stuck again in my parenting journey, but ...more
Brittany Seal
Jul 10, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so much more “what am I doing?” than “what do I need to do to my children?“
The whole idea is your kids will become what you SHOW and who you ARE. Not what you tell them.
Confront your inner scars, heal your demons, and allow yourself to grow so those past traumas won’t be taken out on your children. This was a must read for new parents who feel they may not be as in control of emotions as they want. Or just any parents!!!
Rachel DeStefano
Sep 07, 2022 rated it it was amazing
I learned lots of new things about how to raise my daughter as she gets a little older, but I feel like I also learned a lot on how to be a better person in general - to my partner, my family members, and strangers in general.
Carly Schofield
Aug 11, 2022 rated it liked it
Definitely some great takeaways but parenting approach is a bit too crunchy for me
Kaleigh Niemela
Nov 01, 2022 rated it really liked it
A thoughtful parenting book. It includes journal prompts, mindfulness exercises, and practical advice. I wish it had gone more in-depth in chapters 6 and 7 (discipline chapters); however, the book was a great springboard for parenting strategies.
Lisa Krigbaum
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"The best predictor of a child's well being is the parents self understanding."
"Our inner voice matters. How we talk to ourselves after our mistakes can shape whether we shrink or grow from the experience."
"When children get all of their needs met at the expense of their parents, they learn to be self centered. Because mom and dad never asserted their own needs, the child doesn't learn how to take other's needs into account."
Kindness = connection
Hurrying activates the stress response
Feel it to h
Therese Thompson
Dec 20, 2021 rated it really liked it

With the incredible addition of my Grandbaby and First Lieutenant Parker (there goes my Star Trek fandom bleeding through) to my life, a title like Raising Good Humans is going to catch my attention. Normally a title like My Heart is a Chainsaw commands that kind of interest, but priorities have shifted a teeny bit, thereby allowing an advice book on raising children to gain a toehold.

My role, though, is not to raise him. I am the Grandma, that magical being of love and spoiling. But, I know he
Lorilyn Woods
Jan 30, 2022 rated it it was amazing
I appreciate the exercises to apply mindfulness to parenting. It suggests a foundation of mindfulness well better equip you to handle those moments of flash anger. The latter part was similar to “How to talk so little kids will listen,” which was a nice refresher.
Jennica
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. I've practiced mindfulness with running, and I'm excited to apply this to every day life as well. Although mindfulness takes practice, it is very relaxing. I love that this book shows you how to open communication with not only your child but also others in your life. The techniques are easy to do- so simple! Why have I not been doing them?

Some of the communication techniques sounded cheesy but the reasoning behind it all makes so much sense. I realize I'll have to practice harder at
Brenda Daun
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review:

A different kind of parenting book that was more forgiving and thorough than others I have read in the past. This book focuses on the practice of mindfulness, and how increasing our awareness of what’s happening inside our body can help us be more intentional and present parents.

This book breaks down why it’s so hard to be a good parent, and what we can do to create lasting change. It also explains what’s happening inside a
Alexandra
Feb 27, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2022, non-fiction
I thought there was a lot of really good and helpful stuff in here! It’s already helped me be more mindful in how I talk to my kids and how I think about my own emotions that come up. That said, I was not a fan of the extremes- giving examples of kids who don’t get X being more likely to use drugs or become a murderer seemed a bit fear mongering. Otherwise I’m sure I’ll come back to parts of this again throughout the years!
Amanda
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
One of the better parenting books I have read. This book helps you look at yourself and your actions and responses instead of giving you ways to "control" your child's behavior. I appreciated that the author recognizes the child as a human being with feelings and emotions that should be acknowledged. Lots of practical tips here for parents of infants all the way thru teenagers. ...more
Jessamyn
Jan 19, 2022 rated it really liked it
A lot of good information in here, with one caveat. This is written for families with mostly neurotypical children/adults. And, although these techniques can be used with neurodivergent children and adults, it looks different and takes longer for these changes to make any noticeable difference. 💜
Cara Beckenbach
Jan 27, 2022 rated it really liked it
Good stuff in here! I’ve found myself bringing ideas from it up in conversation with other moms over the time I’ve been reading it- or rather- listening on audible. I think I’d like a paper copy to refer back to certain sections in the future.
Elle A
Mar 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Great ideas!!
Ayvee Lavender
May 06, 2021 rated it it was ok
Read about half way but didn't find any good insight other than be mindful to be calm and talk yourself up. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• No-Drama Discipline: The Whole-Brain Way to Calm the Chaos and Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind
  • Good Inside: A Guide to Becoming the Parent You Want to Be
  • The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind, Survive Everyday Parenting Struggles, and Help Your Family Thrive
  • Hunt, Gather, Parent: What Ancient Cultures Can Teach Us About the Lost Art of Raising Happy, Helpful Little Humans
  • How to Stop Losing Your Sh*t with Your Kids: A Practical Guide to Becoming a Calmer, Happier Parent
  • Raising Critical Thinkers: A Parent's Guide to Growing Wise Kids in the Digital Age
  • Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids: How to Stop Yelling and Start Connecting
  • Balanced and Barefoot: How Unrestricted Outdoor Play Makes for Strong, Confident, and Capable Children
  • How to Talk so Little Kids Will Listen: A Survival Guide to Life with Children Ages 2-7
  • The Yes Brain: How to Cultivate Courage, Curiosity, and Resilience in Your Child
  • The Montessori Toddler: A Parent's Guide to Raising a Curious and Responsible Human Being
  • How to raise kids who aren’t assholes
  • Atlas of the Heart: Mapping Meaningful Connection and the Language of Human Experience
  • The Montessori Baby: A Parent's Guide to Nurturing Your Baby with Love, Respect, and Understanding
  • Outdoor Kids in an Inside World: Getting Your Family Out of the House and Radically Engaged with Nature
  • The Wild and Free Family: Forging Your Own Path to a Life Full of Wonder, Adventure, and Connection
  • The Danish Way of Parenting: What the Happiest People in the World Know About Raising Confident, Capable Kids
See top shelves…

News & Interviews

As the final days of the year tick themselves off the calendar, the 2022 Goodreads Reading Challenge is coming to a close. Sincere...
“What do you want for your kids? And are you practicing these things in your own life?” 3 likes
“When you love someone, the best thing you can offer is your presence. How can you love if you are not there?” 2 likes