Start by marking “Doctor Who: Resurrection of the Daleks” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: Resurrection of the Daleks

Doctor Who: Resurrection of the Daleks

The universe is at war. Action takes courage.

The TARDIS is ensnared in a time corridor, catapulting it into derelict docklands on 20th century Earth. The Doctor and his companions, Tegan and Turlough, stumble on a warehouse harbouring fugitives from the future at the far end of the corridor – and are soon under attack from a Dalek assault force.

The Doctor’s oldest enemies have set in motforce.

The

Published July 18th 2019 by BBC Digital

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who

Start your review of Doctor Who: Resurrection of the Daleks
Paul Griggs
Ugh. That was a struggle. Overwritten in places and underwritten in others. Desperate need of an editor or at least a better proofread and what is the whole deal with that coda? Disappointing.
Daniel Kukwa
I can see why this decades-long-in-the-making novelization has provoked such a controversial response. By turns, reading this is frustrating & fascinating...irritating & intriguing...over-written & under-written...ridiculous and radical. It feels very much like (1) Eric Saward is out of practice writing "Doctor Who" and the turning cogs are rusty; (2) Eric Saward is writing a novelization that is both not-epic-enough and too-epic-for-the-page count. Yet in spite of the frustrations, ...more
Peter
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
A very disappointing adaptation of an excellent Doctor Who serial, all the more surprising given that it is written by the man who also penned the original television episodes. The style is far too frivolous, the Daleks come across as petty rather than malevolent, and Davros and many other characters just seem to fade into the background, their actions and motivations seemingly irrelevant. The TARDIS crew are also poorly characterised, especially Tegan. The coda of the novel is dire!
Adrian Sherlock
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
The good outweighs the bad in this enjoyable but uneven adaptation of my favourite Dr Who serial. Eric Saward's taut, tense and dark thriller from the 80s has a vastly expanded first half in which a lot of background details are added and a lot of the original details is changed, making it feel more like a new version of the story, rather than a novelisation. The pace feels leisurely at times, the tone lighter and more frivolous and there is a very notable injection of the author's voice into th ...more
Andrew Foxley
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
I've always liked the TV story of 'Resurrection of the Daleks', so I was pleased to see that Eric Saward was novelising his script and filling one of the few remaining gaps in the classic Target novelisations series. I found the novelisation a real struggle to get through, though - very much a book of two halves. The good thing is that it's certainly not a by-the-numbers book that shamelessly regurgitates the script without adding anything of interest. There's a fair bit of embellishment from th ...more
Chris Griffin
Duncan Steele
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Thirty five years for this!

Urgh!

The expansion of the Airlock 3 scenes are a highlight but aside from that this is a facile, in the extreme, novelisation. I've no idea what the nonsense with the cat is about and the editing is sloppy as sentences appear to have words missing.

I cant help but think that the Paul Leonard/Gareth Roberts proposed versions from the late 90s would have been far better than this.

A crushing disappointment as I cant sta
Jason Wilson
Way back when the old series ended mode of its stories had been novelised - only with the success of the new series would the Douglas Adams and Saward gaps be filled.

On tv this was a gritty and grim tale that took the more philosophical Davison era in a tough new direction. Saward is fonder of his more eccentric second Dalek tale than this but this is a fairly good book with some decent character writing . The name Vipod Mor conjures up a radio story best forgotten, and it would have been nice
David Griffiths
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Disappointing!

After all these years this story is finally novelised and it wasn't worth the wait. The plot is sketched over almost as an afterthought and replaced with forced and weak attempts at humour
Iain Hepburn
Aug 11, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely dreadful. Leaden prose, clunking dialogue and tediously unnecessary changes to the original story that don’t add anything new or exciting. Not worth the wait.
Julian Hubbard
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good write up of the episode. Explained a few things that I had forgotten. Definitely recommend it
Bob Mccow
Aug 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Even among the variable history of Doctor Who novelizations, this one will go down as an absolute stinker. In the end I got the impression that the author simply didn't care. Shame.
Tony
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doctor-who
Alas, no info here as I'm reviewing it elsewhere.
DMcShane
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy Eric Saward's Doctor Who novels, the darkly pessimistic tone and the futile violence work for me on paper in a way they don't on screen. This story is a familiar one, but again I prefer the novelisation to the tele version. I can't exactly say why, but there it is.
Martin Glassborow
Aug 06, 2019
Nick Mellish
Aug 04, 2019
Joseph Smith
rated it did not like it
Jul 28, 2019
Stefan
Sep 03, 2019
Ray Currie
Aug 16, 2019

• Doctor Who: Scratchman
  • I Love the Bones of You: My Life, My Family, My Father
  • Doctor Who: The Eighth Doctor, Vol. 1: A Matter of Life and Death
  • Thrawn: Treason (Star Wars: Thrawn, #3)
  • Doctor Who: Rose
  • Doctor Who: The Good Doctor
  • Doctor Who and the Planet of the Spiders
  • Doctor Who: Molten Heart
  • Doctor Who: The Seventh Doctor Vol. 1: Operation Volcano
  • Giant Days, Vol. 10  (Giant Days #10)
  • Battlefield (The Black Archive, #34)
  • Doctor Who and the Daleks
1 follower
Eric Saward worked as a writer and later script editor for Doctor Who during the 1980s.

Saward had a particular fondness for the Cybermen. He wrote stories with good action throughout them and stories that connected the Doctor to important events in Earth's history.

He also wrote the short story Birth of a Renegade and the radio play Slipback.

He served as script e