Start by marking “Secret Asian Man” as Want to Read:
Secret Asian Man

Secret Asian Man

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  52 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Secret Asian Man is a hilarious and poignant look at the immigrant experience. Ang Tunay na Lalaki (Tagalog for "The Real Man") is the Filipino Marlboro Man, a macho and bare-chested endorser of gin. But when he finds himself in New York City and auditioning as a bit actor, disillusionment quickly sets in: he realizes he, an Asian man, will never be a sex symbol in America ...more
Published October 12th 2001 by Tia Chucha (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Secret Asian Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Asian Man

Jamie
Dec 19, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I bought this book at a sale my school was having, and got it because of the whimsical title. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it was by a Filipino author, and I could relate to the parts where Filipino culture was brought up. I enjoyed the first half more than the second, but overall I thought it was a solid collection of poetry. I did question the author bringing himself into his own book, but I guess that's the nature of poetic license.
Iskul Bukul
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book over and under and it has changed my life. It is full of mystery and allusions to Philippine culture as well as western deeds and misdeeds. Carbo is a poetic genius beyond compare.
Cathryn Cofell
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a book every poetry lover should have in their collection. Funny, fun, insightful all in one. I adore this Secret Asian Man (and the poet within).
Kimberly
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was hoping to obtain some books by Filipinx authors for my school library, as the school district has so many Filipinx students since many of their parents came to Baltimore to teach. However, this was not the book to fill that bill. The book is focused on the main character's sexual attractiveness is perceived and obviously that material is not appropriate for middle schoolers. Moreover I thought the fantasy basis of the book would be interesting but it served more to make the book a bit biza ...more
Phil
Apr 24, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently found this slim book of poetry among my college debris; thought it was so funny back then... poignant too. It tells the story of this Filipino named Ang Tunay Na Lalaki who was kind of a bigshot c-list celebrity back in Manila but after moving to NYC is faceless, emasculated. All the poems, bearing titles such as "Ang Tunay Na Lalaki Explores the Chatrooms on AOL" and "Ang Tunay Na Lalaki Does His Laundry," are quirky and fresh.
Chary
Jan 30, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chary by: Jeremy Glazer
Shelves: anthology
Being a filipino, this book of poetry is awesome and halariously on point!
Ashley