Start by marking “Bursts of Fire” as Want to Read:

Bursts of Fire

To survive. To fight. To restore balance.

The Falkyn sisters bear a burden and a legacy. Their mother, the imperial magiel of the kingdom of Orumon, protects her people from the horrors of the afterlife by calling upon the Gods with a precious Prayer Stone. But war among the kingdoms has brought fire and destruction to their sheltered world. When a mad king's desire to dest
394 pages
Expected publication: August 6th 2019 by Laksa Media Groups Inc.

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Aug 06, 2019
    *ADVANCED READER'S COPY*
    PUBLISHERS LUNCH BUZZ BOOKS 2019 SELECTION

" An emotional story of familial love, tension, and mistrust among three sisters and

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 3 copies available, 1044 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Apr 10 - May 01, 2019

Countries available: U.S. and Canada

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Bursts of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bursts of Fire

K.S. Marsden
    Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: netgalley
    It's a terrible thing, to see no future; but a powerful magiel has to protect her daughters.
    The three Falkyn magiel sisters, have to embrace their fate, to survive a mad king.

I received a free copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

After their mother is disturbed that no magiel has seen a future beyond the year, a sign that their peaceful existence will be destroyed: she sets about planning the escape of her three daughters. They will become powerful magiels, and allies to kings an
    Max
    Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: net-galley
    Where do I begin? This was a very good fantasy book. But besides fantasy - there was more. It was also about mental health and other problems. The characters were good, very believable. I always love stories about great sister power! Also some characters put a lot of faith in religion, and I always find that fascinating.

The book started off slow for me - it's an epic fantasy where a lot of the world the story takes place in needs to be established. I was never thinking about DNF, but it wasn't
    keikii Eats Books
    Short Review: A very promising start from a very new author. The pieces were there, the execution was a bit faulty. The characters were very young which led to some unpleasant moments. But overall, promising start to a series.

Longer review to come much closer to release.
    Judi S.
    Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
    The book started out slowly, causing me to rethink reading it several times. Thank goodness I continued. and gave it a real chance!

The storyline is complex, which may be what made it slow going in the beginning. It was necessary to pay very close attention at all times to keep track of all the characters, all the timelines and all the various magics used. Not to mention the gods. However, once those thing fell into place the story became very engaging.

Watching these 3 girls, Meg, Janat and Renn
    beautyguise
    Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
    So good!

I will say this, for me it had a bit of a slow start. But it did end up picking up for me and I got to the point where I just didn't want to put it down. I love the three sisters. I found them to be so relatable and realistic. From the beginning of the book to the end of the book there is a lot of growth and I am here for it!

A great read for sure.

This is a Netgalley ARC review.
    Janet
    Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
    This book started slow for me but it's an epic fantasy where a lot of the world they story takes place needs to be established. I think the magic system could have been explained better but it didn't suck from the start. There was more, it had mental health and the characters were good, very believable. I always love stories with great sister power! I enjoyed the story and hope there's a sequel.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for an eARC to read!
    Mary
    Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I am a sucker for a good story about sisterhood and this book really delivered. It was an added bonus that these sisters are magiels and are on the run from a mad king. I really appreciated the ending of this book and loved getting to see the characters grow and develop through the story. Excited for the next book!

** I received the ARC from netgalley in exchange for an honest review**
    Angie Gaule
    Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
    I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This was a good book. I wanted to start off by saying that, because I don't know if I will finish the series. The story is great, but there are very few positive moments in it to break up the negatives. After the characters got over their attitude of looking for someone to take care of them, they became much more interesting and likable. There was an amazing amount of character development and the story is intricate and interes ...more
    Meghan
    Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: library
    This book was received as an ARC from Laksa Media Groups in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

When receiving this book I did not know what to expect. They always say never judge a book by its cover and now I am starting to see why. I absolutely love this book for one reason, I share a name with one of the main heroines so that ALWAYS makes my reading better. I also loved this book because it reminded me of The Covenant but instead
    Amy TheOriginalBookishDragon
    Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: netgalley
    A gripping, political fantasy novel that I couldn't put down. I loved the Magiel's magic with their shifting skins and found their ability to move things through time intriguing. This book was incredibly unique and differs from anything I have previously read. I would recommend this book to any fantasy reader.

I received this title on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
    Wendy
    Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it
    This book was a satisfying fantasy read. This is the story of three sisters possessing magical powers, on a quest to save themselves and the world they lived in before a power hungry king changed it. As the sisters are separated, each finding their own individual skills, the world around them crumbles. This story at once felt unfinished and complete. It felt like a complete story arc but I was left with many questions when the story ended.
    Joelene Weeks
    Mar 28, 2019
    Suzanne Schick rivera
    Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Absolutely loved the world building in the novel. Interesting growth of the characters as they struggle to find their way through the war.
    Annarella
    Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    An amazing book, I was hooked after few pages and had to read it as fast as I could.
    The world building was amazing, so complex and realistic.
    I loved the plot, the well written cast of characters and the setting.
    I look forward to reading other books by this author.
    Highly recommended!
    Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
    Lina Gane
    Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: magic, strong-world
    Book thoughts in 300 words and 3 gifs

Three and half ‘Magiel’ stars 🐼🐼🐼🐼

‘Bursts of Fire’ is the first novel of Susan Forest’s series ‘Addicted to Heaven’ where she sets out to explore the complex world of addictions. Using a vast fantasy world as the backdrop, it makes for an interesting read with a unique premise.

The world is built beautifully, with descriptions scattered about the chapters, allowing the reader to put the jigsaw of that massive land of many kingdoms. The world was well-formed in
    Tara
    Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it
    I enjoyed this but unsure if would return to it again. Characters written well, plot was good, but for me too dark/no sign of happiness at times. I like dark books but I find there is always some levity or dark humour to be found, but this just seemed to be a little sad and hopeless in a sense. Maybe too much of a mirror of real life for me, but I’m sure many will enjoy this more because of this.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
    Suzanne Schick rivera
    is currently reading it
    Feb 24, 2019
    Lyss Gaertner
    Feb 25, 2019
    Susan Forest grew up in a family of mountaineers and skiers, and she loves adventure. She also loves the big ideas found in SF/F, and finds fast-paced adventure stories a great place to explore how individuals grapple with complex moral decisions. Bursts of Fire, first book in her Addicted to Heaven series (Aug. 2019, to be followed by Flights of Marigolds), confronts issues of addiction in an epi ...more
    “You can't tell a questioner what you don't know.” 0 likes