Start by marking “Professional Cooking” as Want to Read:
Professional Cooking

Professional Cooking

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  450 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
This is the best-selling undergraduate food preparation textbook in the marketplace. It has a long standing reputation for being comprehensive, yet easy for students to understand and follow. Wayne Gisslen's reputation for being able to simply, yet comprehensively, communicate information to beginning chefs is unsurpassed. Professional Cooking, Seventh Edition includes v ...more
Hardcover, Seventh Edition, 1088 pages
Published January 19th 2010 by Wiley (first published 1982)

Syahira Sharif

Professional Cooking is one of the textbook I use while I was at the Food Institute and part of it include the lectures that I have gone through like the Introduction of Sanitation (condensed version of Microbiology) and Fundamentals of Food. But as a whole, the book does contain helpful guides for those who are interested in the culinary industry and some parts that includes hundreds of recipes and preparation methods.

I am not fully a culinary student, I just took several diploma classes with
John
Oct 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now in its 6th edition, I've been reading Mr. Gisslen's first version of the famous "Professional Cooking." While it lacks the impressive visuals, extensive recipes and pretty tables of its more modern counterparts, I've found that this version of the text is significantly more useful to me as a novice chef. It does a fairly good job of teaching *why* a dish is cooked in a particular way (and not, for example, at 75 degrees warmer) as well as a thorough job of explaining basic techniques (for ex ...more
Sandra
Feb 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who would like to intelligently read and judge a recipe
Shelves: cook-books
Do not read this book for recipes, unless you are cooking for 50. But the chemistry behind the recipes, especially in baking, are good reminders for all of us. What does gluten need to make it work? Why you NEED shortening and salt. And why we shouldn't mess with cakes, breads and pastry recipes, unless you have been educated to do so. Not a book to own, but definitely worthy reviewing, if your library owns a copy. I truly enjoyed perusing and reading sauces, breads and cakes. Even meats and pou ...more
Kierstin
Dec 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful reference for the culinary student but not for the home user. All recipes are given in commercial quantities and in weights (not measurements). The food science portion of every chapter is incredibly interesting however, especially if one wanted to know (and see pictured) every kind of potato (or fill in the blank as you choose) grown on earth, its unique granular structure, and the seventeen ways you can mess it up.
Cory Van Horn
Oct 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book was actually a textbook for one of my hospitality classes in college. I used to get a kick out of studying the cuts of beef at a local Steak and Shake. This always scared the servers to the point they refused to come to the table until the book was closed. I’ve been out of college for several years now, and I still use this book as my culinary bible for all of the classic techniques.
Rick Hunter
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: traded-donated
This book was one of two books that we had for my Principles of Cooking class. It had some cool recipes in it and a lot of general stuff about each cooking type & each major food group. Some of the information was a little elementary for me, but I've been in food service for years. This should really help someone that is just starting out though.
Michael Gill
Nov 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to cook better or pursue a career in the culinary arts
As I study culinary, this has been one of the greatest books to have around to reference. A friend gifted it to me, and It has always had the go to material that I'd been looking for. A definite must have for the aspiring professional chef.
Niratisaya Niratisaya
Buku lengkap mengenai memasak dan profesi seorang chef. Benar2 lengkap! Dan seperti judulnya, ditulis dengan profesional untuk mereka yang ingin menjadi seorang profesional di bidang kulineri. Me? Well, I enjoy cooking and eating, but never intend to be a professional :)
Layan
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book for a person who want to have a career in culinary arts
Builtin Integre
please let me read this book
Heather
This was difficult to follow. This is for prefessionals but has great recipes in it.
Sharaniya
nice and dilous wow"
Geramie Sasendoncillo
hgfm,ou89
Camille
mostly I'm just ogling the illustrations of how to form bread properly.
De
Jan 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many great things were made from this textbook, but especially oxtail soup. Very nice intro to cooking.
David
Mar 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Encyclopedic in scope. Dense and somewhat impenetrable. I recommend this books as part of a class only. Not an easy to use reference.
Marie
To be really useful, I need a copy of this at home for constant reference.
Carolyn
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Culinary class says hey!!!
Janine
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this for a college class. Great resource for anyone interested in cooking and learning proper techniques.
Shannon
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
best text book ever used this when I was doing my apprenticeship at NAIT and I still use it
Michele
Sep 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Required reading for class!
Karen Rivers
  • The New Professional Chef
  • On Cooking: A Textbook of Culinary Fundamentals
  • The 1896 Boston Cooking-School Cook Book
  • The Science of Good Food: The Ultimate Reference on How Cooking Works
  • The Escoffier Cookbook: And Guide to the Fine Art of Cookery for Connoisseurs, Chefs, Epicures
  • The Essential Cuisines of Mexico: Revised and Updated Throughout, with More than 30 New Recipes
  • Molecular Gastronomy: Exploring the Science of Flavor
  • The Best Kitchen Quick Tips: 534 Tricks, Techniques, and Shortcuts for the Curious Cook
  • Le Cordon Bleu's Complete Cooking Techniques: The Indispensable Reference Demonstates over 700 Illustrated Techniques with 2,000 Photos and 200 Recipes
  • La Technique: An Illustrated Guide to the Fundamental Techniques of Cooking
  • Keys to Good Cooking: A Guide to Making the Best of Foods and Recipes
  • Good Meat: The Complete Guide to Sourcing and Cooking Sustainable Meat
  • Think Like a Chef
  • Cooking
  • Ideas in Food: Great Recipes and Why They Work
  • Top Secret Restaurant Recipes 2: More Amazing Clones of Famous Dishes from America's Favorite Restaurant Chains
  • Great Scandinavian Baking Book

$7.99 $1.99
  • Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $14.95 $2.99
  • To Have or To Be?
  • Happy Accidents
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears
    $8.99 $2.99
  • If Life Is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits?
  • Bridge of Spies
  • Bringing Adam Home: The Abduction That Changed America
  • Girl in a Band
  • A Beautiful Work In Progress
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Talk Like TED: The 9 Public-Speaking Secrets of the World's Top Minds
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Principle of the Path: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Detour from Normal
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Stuff Matters: Exploring the Marvelous Materials That Shape Our Man-Made World
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour
  • Working with Emotional Intelligence
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Horse: The Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis