Start by marking “Time Castaways #2: The Obsidian Compass” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Time Castaways #2: The...

Liesl Shurtliff

Time Castaways #2: The Obsidian Compass

(Time Castaways #2)

Liesl Shurtliff, New York Times bestselling author of Rump: The True Story of Rumpelstiltskin, continues the action-packed Time Castaways trilogy with book two, in which the Hudsons sail across time and history as they embark on a daring rescue mission.

With magic, mystery, and adventure, this is perfect for fans of Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library and Percy Jackson.

Ma
Published October 15th 2019 by Katherine Tegen Books

Start your review of Time Castaways #2: The Obsidian Compass
Bailey
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing. I totally recommend it. I read it with my family. It is a second in the series Time Castaways. This sequel features Mateo and his siblings parents trying to keep them all safe from Captain Vincent, but there is trouble around the corner when they hop on a Orange Bus and take a crazy adventure. I would totally read this book again.
Grace T
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Solid adventure--I saw one or two things coming, but that didn't detract from the story, and if I were the target audience age I would probably give this five stars.
Anita McDivitt Barrios
I've had my eye out for The Obsidian Compass ever since reading the first book, The Mona Lisa Key, which left me with about a zillion questions.

Now, time travel makes my head hurt. Even when it's handled simply, back and then to present, it's tricky -- to read and write. But I felt this sequel was even better than the first.

SPOILER ALERT: If you haven't read the first book, I'm going to leave off where it ended...so spoiler for Book 1.

At the end of the last book, Mateo lost the Obsidian Compass
Tirzah
Jun 17, 2020 rated it liked it
More suspenseful time-travel and adventure sweep up Matt, Corey, and Ruby in this second installment. There were a lot of plot twists and turns (view spoiler) and the ending left readers wanting more. The dialogue among the different characters were often funny (Gaga's analysis on teenage boys made me chuckle.) I was u ...more
MissMayor
This is the second book in the Time Castaways trilogy. There was a lot of repetition of the first book within this second book, almost as if the author was trying to help a reader who may not have read the first. Since there was so much reference or repetition of the first, the storyline in the second book here was alright but felt more like a sequel than a proper second installment of a trilogy. You do meet new characters and more family members, the final third of the book is my favorite and I ...more
Pam
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grades
The story continues and adds some new characters from several of the time lines. Mateo actually creates the obsidian compass in real time and meets Quine n the future. The entire family travels to the Ice Age to find one of his mom's former crew members. They also locate Annie in her true time period (that particular coincidence is a little forced). Captain Vincent ends up with the sought after item and the book ends with a brief respite at their grandmother's home. Readers learn wh Chuck really ...more
Deanna Holdsworth
Mateo wants to go back in time to save his friend Jia When he makes a compass that will time travel in the old VW bus that belongs to Chuck, their neighbor, he is thrilled. It takes awhile for him to find the secret ingredient that will enable the compass he has made to work but he finally figures it out. Soon, Chuck and the entire Hudson family are traveling all over time learning family secrets along the way.
I enjoyed this book! I found the adventure to be full of twists and turns and loads o
Beth Anne
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
I didn’t enjoy this one as much as the first book, but I will certainly be back for the third installment. The first half of the book really dragged for me - clumpy plot and writing. But the second half was much better, and I liked the unanswered questions. I also think it was a bit too long; things dragged out where they could have been better if they were tighter. But I love the concept, well done time travel, adventure, and a fun family unit.
Mark
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book and I liked how it went from Mateo life to Mrs Hudson to captain Vincent. It was really exciting!! I also like how both books have cliff hangers. It make me want to read the 3rd book soooooo much!!! And when you read the next book it was like they were just 1 (very long) book!
Claire L
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
Jenn
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud-books
My son and I enjoyed returning to the adventures of the time traveling Hudson's vs the evil time pirate Captain Vincent. This book kept us hanging on through multiple jaw dropping revelations and plot twists. I daresay this book surpasses the first! We cannot wait for the final book in this trilogy! Read this with your tweens asap!
Almira
Aug 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again the Hudson kids are on an adventure, although this time their whole family along with their "wacky" neighbor and his old VW bus "Blossom" are caught up in the time travel - to the ends of the earth, over and under water...... Will they find their friend, Jia and save her from the evil Captain Vincent and his crew?
Michele
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
So good...better than the first! It can be as deep or entertaining as you are ready for it to be as it explores the intricacies of time travel. I can't wait to read the final book, but love that it doesn't leave me in a cliffhanger for a year until then!
Cara
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Action packed, predictable, but overall a good read. Can’t wait to see what happens next!
Lisa D
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Not as good as the first book! Great time travel adventure!
Courtney
Sep 29, 2020 rated it liked it
This was cute, better than the first but not enough to raise the whole series to a four-star rating for me.
Natalie Nash
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liesl found her stride in this book. I liked it much better than the first.
Elizabeth S
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars. Really, really, good.
Anthony Stoops
Amy
Apr 03, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • The Secret Commonwealth (The Book of Dust, #2)
  • The Lager Queen of Minnesota
  • It's Not Summer Without You (Summer, #2)
  • After the Flood
  • I'm Not Dying with You Tonight
  • The Summer I Turned Pretty (Summer, #1)
  • Guts
  • We'll Always Have Summer (Summer, #3)
  • Aru Shah and the Tree of Wishes (Pandava Quartet, #3)
  • Opposite of Always
  • Tell Me More: Stories about the 12 Hardest Things I'm Learning to Say
  • The Train to Impossible Places (The Train to impossible places, #1)
  • The Mighty Miss Malone
  • Race to the Sun
  • Dog Man: Brawl of the Wild (Dog Man, #6)
  • An Author's Odyssey (The Land of Stories, #5)
  • The Dark Lord Clementine
Liesl Shurtliff is a New York Times bestselling and award-winning author of books for young readers. Her latest book is the first in a new time-travel adventure trilogy, TIME CASTAWAYS: The Mona Lisa Key from KatherineTegen/HarperCollins. Other books include RUMP, JACK, RED, and GRUMP, all part of the (Fairly) True Tales series from Knopf/Random House.

Liesl was born and raised in Salt Lake City,

Time Castaways (3 books)
  • The Mona Lisa Key (Time Castaways, #1)
  • The Forbidden Lock (Time Castaways, #3)