Start by marking “The Playground” as Want to Read:
The Playground

The Playground

Big Little Lies meets Lord of The Flies in this electrifyingly twisty follow-up to Jane Shemilt’s breakout debut The Daughter.

Over the course of a long, hot summer in London, the lives of three very different married couples collide when their children join the same tutoring circle, resulting in illicit relationships, shocking violence, and unimaginable fallout.

There’s
Expected publication: December 30th 2019 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Playground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Playground

Start your review of The Playground
Christine Moore
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
Three families and their children become close over the course of a summer. The parents become too focused on their selves and leave the children too much freedom. When bad things start to happen the parents are devastated. The truth is much worse than they originally thought. This was a good thriller but at times, the story doesn't make as much sense as it should. Some of the characters actions are very questionable. I received an advanced readers copy and all opinions are my own.
Kristi
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First Sentence:

It was surprising how quickly things took off in the end, like a bonfire, one of those big ones the children loved so much."

The Playground by Jane Shemilt is an insightful story that explores how engrossed some can become in their own needs and desires, and what is perceived as happiness that they ignore the glaring signs that all is not what it should be with those closest to them.

The story centers around three couples that form an unlikely yet close friendship when their
Kim
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Even though this was a fiction book, it was very disturbing. Once I started reading this book I could not put it down. There is so much going on in this story it made me angry at times and sad at times and even sick to my stomach at other times. How parents can let there children out of there site and not know what they are up to at all times is a scary thought. This book takes things up 10 notches. This is a fantastic story! I was a little disappointed in the ending but it was such an amazing ...more
Cyndi
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, netgalley
This was a thoroughly enjoyable and deliciously wicked read. Given the subject matter of missing children, it may not be to everyone’s taste, but I loved it. Shemilt is an excellent writer and this was unputdownable.

Many thanks to Netgalley, William Morrow and Jane Shemilt for my complimentary e-copy ARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.
Kelly
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveaways
There’s a lot of things I’m not sure about in The Playground. I’m not sure if there’s really a plot line for the first half of the book. The characters, adults and children both, just go in circles around each other, manipulating and contriving. I’m not really sure what the title has to do with the book unless it’s a metaphor, since the playground built for the youngest child barely makes an appearance. I’m not sure if I’m supposed to like any of the characters since most of them are weak-willed ...more
Dan
Three families from different backgrounds come together as their children are all in the same tutoring group. The adults are so self-involved that they don’t pay attention to the children until tragedy strikes. At that point their lives unravel and we learn the truth of what really went on that summer.

A lot of characters, and a lot of slow moments made it almost difficult to read. I was confused and the characters were not likable, unfortunately. After said tragedy, the story picks up and
Lisa
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this as a Goodreads giveaway...This is a really well written work of psychological suspense (close to Horror at times) about three families that become (too) involved with each other after three of the children become part of the same tutoring group. I couldn't put it down! I'm so excited I discovered this author.....and will definitely be reading her past and future works.
Morgan Schulman
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reader-s-copy
I received an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review

This one was pretty twisty- some more obvious than others but still an enjoyable ride. You really do you fall in love with the main characters, even the evil ones. Solid 4
Pat
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting book with twists. Compliments to author for her flowing narrative.
emmy
Nov 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
Unfortunately, this book isn't for me. The combination of a large cast of normative, unrelatable characters, and slow pacing was not enjoyable. I didn't end up finishing it.
Jennifer Shumate
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
This was an absolutely engrossing read, and much darker than I expected. I accidentally finished the second half of this book in one day, because I could not put it down.
Susi
Alicia Marie
Jul 29, 2019
Jamie beauty_andthebook_
Aug 02, 2019
Goodreads Librari...: Book description is for another title 3 17 May 15, 2019 12:36PM

• Mr. Nobody
  • The Ancestor
  • A Madness of Sunshine
  • Such a Fun Age
  • Alaskan Holiday
  • Evermore (Everless, #2)
  • The Look-Alike
Jane is a general practitioner who completed a post graduate diploma in Creative Writing at Bristol university and went on to study for a M.A in Creative writing at Bath Spa. She was shortlisted for the Janklow and Nesbitt award and the Lucy Cavendish fiction prize for Daughter, her first novel.

She and her husband, a Professor of Neurosurgery, have 5 children and live in Bristol, England.