Start by marking “Mary Poppins in Cherry Tree Lane (Mary Poppins, #5)” as Want to Read:
Mary Poppins in Cherry Tree Lane (Mary Poppins, #5)

Mary Poppins in Cherry Tree Lane

(Mary Poppins #5)

She's back! Mary Poppins, everyone's favorite nanny, has returned to take the Banks children on another unforgettable adventure. On the most magical of nights, Midsummer's Eve, all kinds of strange things can happen--mythical visitors come down from the heavens and animals speak. But Mary Poppins takes it all in stride, drawing everyone, even the trembling Park Keeper, ...more
Published August 18th 1982 by Dell Publishing Company (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Mary Poppins in Cherry Tree Lane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mary Poppins in Cherry Tree Lane

Start your review of Mary Poppins in Cherry Tree Lane (Mary Poppins, #5)
Hilary
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
We have loved all the Mary Poppins books so far, so we were really surprised not to enjoy this one. The story is set around a single episode and it felt more like a long chapter. It is midsummer eve and Mary Poppins takes Jane and Michael for a supper picnic in the park. There are many pages at the start where the park keeper tells people to mind the bylaws, stick to the park rules etc. that really went on, to the point were my daughter asked to stop reading and I finished the story alone. There ...more
Candychaser21
Oct 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Found this book to be incredibly strange and almost annoying. I was kind of speed reading, and not taking it all in because it just wasn't my cup of tea. I'd not recommend this to anyone, seeing as there are many other great books out there. Not worth reading. D-
Paul
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I think this one was my favorite of all the "new" Mary Poppins story. I love that "Everything has to be somewhere". Just delightful.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Mary Poppins in Cherry Tree Lane (Mary Poppins #5), P.L. Travers
Vicki
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sweet-and-sour
Wow! Mary Poppins and a little magic on a Midsummer's Night. I thought this was fun, delightful, and certainly brought back some fond memories of the movie. Mary Poppins is one of those characters whose demeanor is unrealistically upbeat and positive, never having a bad moment, or so it seems.

Mary Poppins takes the reader on trips to mythical places and magical moments as the reader journeys with her to learn about the Man-in-the-Moon. I (the reader) mustered up empathy for him because it's
Clare
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Marie Perrin, Marion Landi
I'm going to do just one review for the entire Mary Poppins series, and copy it to all of the these as I listened to them, one right-after-another, and they are rather blurred together as one lovely, entertaining, and altogether delightful story.

I'm not sure why I'd not read these before now! You'd think, working in a library- and having read aloud to my daughter every night for years, that somehow I would have hit upon the Mary Poppins books to read-and I truly, truly wish I had!! Because we
McKenzie Richardson
A fun read filled with lots of silliness.

This is the first Mary Poppins book I have read.

Overall, I enjoyed the book. There is not so much in the form of traditional plot, more of a rolling story, but it was entertaining nonetheless. Some magic, some silliness, and lots of nonsensical talk.

Creative and imaginative work.

For more reviews, check out my blog Craft Cycle
Tabitha
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. This was written and illustrated in the 80s, and while it's still utterly enchanting, it doesn't capture the same atmosphere as the previous books QUITE as much. Still, it was perfect to read yesterday on Midsummer Day and gave me many happy dreams. I will also never look at the summer constellations the same way, and would like to spend some time getting to know them better.
I wish I had read it Midsummer's Eve, but somehow I got my days off track. Maybe next year. :)
Hilary Tesh
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Rather an odd short story set on Midsummer’s Night when nothing is quite as it is normally. Now what play does that remind you of? (In the same book as Mary Poppins and the House Next Door)
Emma Brock
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
very short and not amazing
hissi
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
the last book in the series. her books kept getting shorter and shorter. :(
Bethany
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Practically Perfect in Every Way
Cruse
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is sort of a brief Mary Poppins story like she wrote an abridged story.
writer...
Series: The Mary Poppins series book 5
Author: PL Travers
Reader: Sophie Thompson
Length: 1.6 hrs Unabridged
Publisher: Blackstone Audio Inc and AudioGo Ltd
Published: 2013

An enjoyable afternoon pursuit, Travers' 5th story inviting listeners in to Mary Poppins' world. We're immersed in the route of the Park Keeper, Frederick Smith, as he makes his rounds of the park on Midsummers' Eve. His determined cry of, "Mind the rules and bylaws" falling on deaf ears as pleasure seekers stroll and litter
Rachel
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it
I really liked this short story, much more than I liked Mary Poppins in the Park (which was pretty dull and repetitive having read the first three Mary Poppins novels beforehand).

Mary Poppins in Cherry Tree Lane finally shook off the usual formula (for the most part, anyway) and did something a little bit new. At the same time, it still felt nostalgic and snuggly, because it brought back all the good characters from the previous novels, and had a nice sentimental touch at its conclusion.

Very
Ebookwormy1
Sep 14, 2016 marked it as 0-not-to-read-or-did-not-finish
After reading books 1-4 of Travers series, I have decided to put the rest on the Decided Not To Read shelf. Why?

I was very disappointed in this series and am happy to be done. I don't plan on going this way again. In the end, while Travers would find it depressing, I much prefer Disney's film version of her nanny, both for children and adults. I will not be recommending this series. You can read my previous reviews for more information, but I'm relieved of Mary Poppins for good.

If you'd like
Jeni Enjaian
I have to admit that I was a bit distracted when I read this book. It's an easy read and I made the unfortunate mistake of starting with book 5 in the series. (That's what I get for not organizing the books on my to-read pile.) This particular book does not include any of Mary Poppins' escapades that made their way into the movie of which I am much more familiar. That being said, this is a short, cute little book. I don't really feel qualified enough to review it further.
Janene
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Should be entitled "Mary Poppins and the Midsummers Eve Party." That is all this one is! One chapter of their celebrations in the park. To be honest, I read this a month ago, and I can't remember a single detail. That is just the type of book it is -- fluff.

I've enjoyed these, and know that children who love the mix of fairy tale and fiction would eat it all up, and maybe even beg for more. As for me, I'm happy to be done. This is simply more of the same.
Marcella
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another Mary Poppins story. This time a short one with only one storyline. Mary and the kids are going to the park where all the stars come alive and visit them down on earth. As always cute, funny, soothing. Good children’s literature.
Iris
May 21, 2012 rated it did not like it
Book 4 was better than the third, and there she should have stopped. The feel of this book was different and suddenly we do not hear the story through jane and michael, but through other characters. will read nr 6, but do not expect much there!
Mollie Thorlby-coy
Sep 01, 2015 rated it liked it
After waiting years to finally get my hands on Mary Poppins in Cherry Tree Lane.

The book was so hard understanding what P.L.Travers was writing about. I had to keep putting the book down every couple of minuets because my brain couldn't understand what she was writing.
Alana
This was more like a short story within one the of the other books, more than a book all its own right. Mary Poppins and the gang on Midsummer's Eve. Told in a more wistful tone, I honestly had trouble staying awake. Not my favorite.
Sharon
May 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
Ok, I have had enough. I kept trying to start and finish the book, but to be honest, they are beginning to get repetative in their storyline, and I am finding Mary to be a rather disagreeable character.
I have given up reading these books, I made it through four, this is where I end it.
Whitney Carlisle
I rather liked how Travers added a concrete lesson into the latest batch of Mary Poppins stories.
Ancuta
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
For a day or two I followed Mary and the kids, played with Jane and Michael and listened to pieces of advice from Orion and his friends.
I enjoyed being part of the magic.
Meg
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another magical ride with Mary Poppins!
Gretchen Ingram
Just one story, not a whole book, really.
ember
Jan 24, 2014 rated it liked it
It was okay, I guess...
Kali
Mar 26, 2007 rated it really liked it
this book changed my life.
Alicia
Mar 18, 2015 rated it liked it
My least favorite of the series, but Josh liked it. This book was published almost 50 years after the first one was published!
101 Books to Read...: Mary Poppins 05 - Mary Poppins in Cherry Tree Lane 1 2 May 31, 2016 06:05PM

• The World of Poo (Discworld, #39.5)
  • The Marvelous Land of Oz (Oz, #2)
  • A Collegiate Casting-Out of Devilish Devices (Discworld #37.5)
  • The Road to Oz (Oz, #5)
  • Bedknob and Broomstick
  • The Phoenix and the Carpet (Five Children #2)
  • Honestly Adoption: Answers to 101 Questions About Adoption and Foster Care
  • Called to Care: Opening Your Heart to Vulnerable Children--Through Foster Care, Adoption, and Other Life-Giving Ways
  • Adopted for Life: The Priority of Adoption for Christian Families and Churches
  • Confessions of an Adoptive Parent: Hope and Help from the Trenches of Foster Care and Adoption
  • Return to the Hundred Acre Wood
  • The Sea and Little Fishes (Discworld, #22.5; Witches #5.5)
  • The Hyborian Age
  • The Magic Summer
  • Our Father's World: Mobilizing the Church to Care for Creation
  • Lost Lake
  • Planetwise
  • Turntables of the Night
Pamela Lyndon Travers was an Australian novelist, actress and journalist, popularly remembered for her series of children's novels about mystical nanny Mary Poppins.
She was born to bank manager Travers Robert Goff and Margaret Agnes. Her father died when she was seven, and although "epileptic seizure delirium" was given as the cause of death, Travers herself "always believed the underlying cause

Mary Poppins (6 books)
  • Mary Poppins (Mary Poppins, #1)
  • Mary Poppins Comes Back (Mary Poppins, #2)
  • Mary Poppins Opens the Door (Mary Poppins, #3)
  • Mary Poppins in the Park (Mary Poppins, #4)
  • Mary Poppins and the House Next Door (Mary Poppins, #6)