Start by marking “Of Rioters & Royals (Swift Shadows, # 1)” as Want to Read:
Of Rioters & Royals (Swift Shadows, # 1)

Of Rioters & Royals

(Swift Shadows #1)

Published January 18th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Of Rioters & Royals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Rioters & Royals

Start your review of Of Rioters & Royals (Swift Shadows, # 1)
Kimberly (Deity of Books)
The magic in this book is interesting. The color of your eyes will determine the magic you possess. There is a base color which is the main power that each person has and then there are other colors that can be in your eyes while also can give the person more powers and abilities. Each province in this world had its own culture and characteristics. The world-building was amazing. There were so many twists and turns and secrets that I was not expecting. It was a super fun read.

Princess Emerald is
Robin (Bridge Four)
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from Author. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Of Rioters & Royals is the first book in the new Swift Shadows series, set in an interesting world.  It is listed as fantasy but, for me, this falls more into the Romantasy (romance + fantasy) genre, don’t worry though it is YA so everything remains PG.

There is a large backstory presented in the prologue that the reader really n
Angela Staudt
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to the author, M.L. Greye for providing me with an e-copy in exchange for an honest review.

Of Rioters and Royals was nothing like I had expected, it was an incredible fantasy story. I think one of the main reasons I enjoyed this so much was how much world building was put into this, as well as how descriptive the author was of the magic system. I didn’t have to guess on how things worked and why certain people had magical powers. You could tell the author put a lot of thought and effor
✨Brithanie Faith✨
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
4/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐

E-book provided by the author in exchange for an honest review!

Of Rioters & Royals by M. L. Greye is a cleverly written fantasy novel that just so happens to include three of my favorite bookish tropes; warring factions, a competition, and unique abilities that set people apart from one another!

I wasn't expecting to find my latest obsession going into this novel, but that's exactly what happened, and boy am I glad there's going to be a sequel!

It's no secret that I've been in a
Paula Terrado
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 5/5 stars!!!

This is actually my first time reading Greye’s book and honestly, i don’t regret it. The book feels so adventurous and it’s a fantasy but not too much fantasy, like it didn’t get too meh if you know what i mean.

What i like the most about this book is that the turn of events are just amazing. Their are so many twists when it comes to the story and it’s what makes this book so good! I honestly enjoyed reading this!

** Thank you to the author, M. L. Greye for providing me an e
☼ rachel ☼ (artistically reading)
I received a copy of this book from The Author in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

You can see this review and many others on my Blog

WOW. This book was incredible!

The world building was great; I was fully immersed in this world with these amazing characters, and intriguing magic system (which was personally one of my favorite parts)!

The romance was done really well, and I was very pleased that it didn't take over the plot, like many romances in fantasies do.

The plot takes
Cait | GoodeyReads
Thank you to the author for a digital copy of the book in exchange for a review! All opinions are my own.

I’M INTO THIS.

BLOG || INSTA

I really adored this book y’all.

The world building had a unique point that I hadn’t seen so woven through the story before. Color defining eyes. All sorts of crazy colors and combinations that give the person with those eyes a unique set of skills. I thought this was fascinating and loved learning all of the different gifts it allow a person to have. It was easy to
Abbey Beanz
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Before I get started on my review, I just wanted to say that I received a free copy of "Of Rioters & Royals" from the author in exchange for an honest review. I hope you enjoy it!

I have always loved stories that revolved around princesses and knights in shining armor, but I actually don't have a lot of books in my collection revolving around princesses or knights. I was literally so happy when I read that "Of Rioters & Royals" had a princess/knight story-line. However, this book is not about a t
samantha (Thought to Jot)
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I was sent a copy of the book from the author in exchange for an honest review!

Recently I’ve been in and out of a reading slump, but “Of Rioters and Royals” finally got me out of it. The story begins with a prologue where you’re introduced to the history of the world, which I found to be a little heavy for the start. However, once the book hooked me I was hooked. I was intrigued by the path that M. L. Greye decided to take the plot, the characters always surprising me so that I was never bored.
Tatiana
Apr 30, 2020 rated it liked it
I was gifted this book by the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you so much for the book!

I actually really enjoyed this book. It was a mixture of Red Queen and Falling Kingdoms. People are separated into two groups, Royals or Rioters and some (maybe all, I wasn’t entirely certain of that) have special abilities.

What I liked about the story:
•It was face paced. I did not feel as if I read any filler and that’s rate in a fantasy book.
•For the most part, I really enjoyed Emry. She was
Sunshine
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
I really enjoyed this book and I need book 2 now! I enjoyed the plot and found myself attached to the characters (I need my babies to be ok), I was expecting this to be a hate to love story that focused on the competition to be the Princess’ Knight which would have a made a good story to me so the special abilities added an extra bonus. I loved the politics and the villain. The story kept me on edge. I loved that Emry was a strong female but relatable (she was funny and crushing on Declan) she f ...more
Frederique
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, so many twists and turns! At start of the book I thought it would be mostly about the trial to become the knight for the princess, but soon it turned out there was much more too it. I loved the unexpected twists and am looking forward to the sequel!
Caitlyn Ainge
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-digital
The author provided the e-book in exchange for an honest review - and I’m so glad she did! Although it was a little hard to get into at first, once things picked up (which didn’t take that long!) I was absolutely hooked. I couldn’t put it down. I liked Emry a lot, and the whole concept of your eye color denoting what kind of magic you have was unique and fun and well done! I’m very excited for the next to come out!
Ashley Griffith
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it

Wow what a special story! I’m a big fan of YA fantasy. The first book of this series was full of adventure, romance, and details of a world I wish I could be a part of. I was immersed while reading this story. ⁣

Princess Emerald will soon have her trials to find her knight. This is standard for all princesses of Enlennd so that they may be protected from harm that may come their way. ⁣

But Emerald isn’t your standard princess...she’s independent, strong, and powerful with a desire to bring peace
Lauren
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! There are so many elements in this story that I absolutely love. To see my full review click the link for my blog!
Toya (the reading chemist)
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
When I first started reading the prologue, I was a little bogged down with the sheer amount of information presented in order to set the foundation for the book. It was not particularly exciting for me, which put a bit of a sour taste in my mouth when I was starting chapter one. My palate was immediately cleansed once I dove into this riveting story full of magic, adventure, plot twists, and romance.

I was really intrigued by the idea of a person’s eye color predetermining the elemental magic tha
Sara Zaninelli
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Alfie Rowland
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
** Oriingally published on my blog at https://elfcouncillorreads.blogspot.c... **

The people of Enlennd are a people divided. Those that support the Jewels (the sovereign) are called the Royals and those that do not - are called the Rioters. Emerald (Emry) is a princess of Enlennd, a Royal and the time to find her Princess's Knight has come - a time where a challenger from each of the five regions of Enlennd must compete in trials against each other to win the coveted role. The Princess's Knight
Georgina Power
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Of Rioters and Royals follows a divided nation (Enlennd) there are people from 5 different regions (Enn - the capital - Kruth, Anexia, The Midlands and Glavenryl) who either support the royals (who are referred to as the Jewels) or the rioters. The book centres on The Trials in which challengers from each region compete to become the Princesses Knight (bodyguard)

Our main characters are Princess Emerald (Emry) and Declan Sharpe who are from Enn and Anexia respectively. We follow Declan in the tri
Gracie {_a_court_of_books_}
Krista
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: x2019-finished
Namira ☾
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
A huuuge thank you to @mlgreye for sending me a copy of her book🌸 I apprecite it💫
☁️☁️
• SYNOPSIS

Emry is a Royal - a princess of Enlennd. As is tradition, she must have a knight at her side as her protector. The only way to appoint one is through The Trials. Her Challengers from the five regions of Enlennd must compete for the infamous title of Princess's Knight. The problem, though, is that the people of Enlennd are split into two categories: Rioters and Royals. Finding the perfect knight may be
Amy
Series or Stand Alone: Book 1 of Swift Shadows series
Stars: 5
People of Color?: Yes
Bechdel Test (Women): Yes
Trigger Warning: Some characters deal with PTSD from traumatic events that occur before the book begins. So, references to violence/abuse. Nothing inappropriately violent.

I received a free eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I loved Of Rioters and Royals! The story follows princess Emry (a Royal) and Declan (a Riote
Katalina Bryant
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
First, I would like to thank the author for a free ebook copy in exchange for an honest review.

Of Rioters and Royals was so good. It was right up my alley in regards to genre and it did not disappoint. I loved the plot and the characters - not to mention how the eyes showed each person’s abilities. Whether or not it was, I saw it as a creative twist on the popular phrase, “the eyes are the window to the soul”.

Going back to the plot I cannot believe how many unexpected turns there were. You t
Coley Starr
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing

First of all, I want to thank M. L. Greye for sending me an ecopy of her book, Of Rioters and Royals, in exchange for my honest review. ⁣

This the first book in her new series Swift Shadows, and I have to say I can’t wait for the next installment! ⁣

I think probably one of the most difficult and important parts of writing a Fantasy type novel is building a world for readers that has depth, life, and history. Greye definitely excelled in this area, giving the reader information about past genera
Throne Of Books
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quick thank you to the author M.L. Greye for giving me an ebook copy of this in exchange for an honest review!

This book was a wild journey from the first page – you never knew where it was going to
take you, it always kept you on the edge of your seat guessing! I really do appreciate that the
author gives you a little history lesson at the beginning of the book to establish the foundation
for the story and provides contextual background to the characters – while it is a little
confusing and tedious
Lavinia
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
First of all, I would like to say 'thank you' to M L Greye for providing me with a free e-copy of this story for an honest review.

Secondly, let's delve right in.

Those who were covered in filth tended to be frowned upon by those who could afford to never get dirty.

Ennland is a country divided in five regions: the Kruth Mountains, Glavenryl, Anexia, Enn and Midlands, regions which are at peace until a plague reaches its borders and the capital (Enn) does not send the help that one of the r
Bookish Heidi
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In this world where Rioters and Royals have such bad blood between them, they need a miracle to reunite the kingdom. Declan and his family are Rioters. Emry and her family are Royals. Everyone knows that war is going to happen at some point. King Onyx knows his daughter, Emerald, needs a sworn knight to protect her before the war comes.

When Declan signed up to be a challenger in the Knight Trials, he had no idea that the princess he was aiming to protect, was none other than his best friends li
Yolanda
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
**3.5 Stars**

Thank you to author, M.L. Greye for reaching out to me and asking I read and review her book. All opinions of the book are my own.

What stood out right away to me is this book has a very interesting magic system involving a person’s eye color. Each eye color defines what types of powers a person has. And I don’t think I’ve read a book with that kind of magic, so that was pretty cool.

Princess Emry is about to be assigned a knight and to find one the challengers must go through a trial
Tia
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
So, I just want to start off with I’m not one to just read a book because someone asked me to leave an honest review. Unless it’s something I feel I might like. After reading the synopsis first I felt like this would be a good book and decided to read and see what adventure this book would take me on. After all I love myself a good fantasy and the name Declan.

The book is as definitely filled with twists and turns and had me on my toes as well as good characters who carried the story along. Kept
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Crowns of Croswald (The Croswald Series, #1)
  • Stealing Embers (Fallen Legacies, #1)
  • Just One Year
  • Namesake (Fable, #2)
  • The Honey-Don't List
  • A Trial of Sorcerers (A Trial of Sorcerers, #1)
  • Dark Skies (Dark Shores, #2)
  • Rules for Vanishing
  • The Girl of Hawthorn and Glass (The Girl of Hawthorn and Glass, #1)
  • Alex Six
  • A Deal with the Elf King (Married to Magic, #1)
  • Crown of Bones (Amassia, #1)
  • The Sinful King (Naughty Royals, #1)
  • The Shadows
  • Lore
  • Shadow Fall (Shadow Fall, #1)
  • Granted (Granted, #1)
m. l. greye is an Amazon Bestselling Author. She writes epic, romantic fantasies for teens and young adults. She believes that no story is complete without some sort of romance and plenty of action. She is a fiction novelist and prefers to write the genre she loves to read: fantasy. Greye was born and raised in Southern California, but has lived in practically every state in the Southwest. She cur ...more

Swift Shadows (2 books)
  • Entwined Paths (Swift Shadows #2)