Start by marking “To Gamble on an Earl: The men of Waterloo Book II” as Want to Read:
To Gamble on an Earl: The men of Waterloo Book II

To Gamble on an Earl: The men of Waterloo Book II

To Gamble On An Earl is the much anticipated second story in Award- winning author Diane Dario’s “Men Of Waterloo” series.

Evan, The Earl Of Foxington, had only one mistress, Lady Luck. When she deserted him at the Battle Of Hougomont he was left scarred in more ways than one.

Lady Phoebe Collins has loved Foxington since she and her best friend, his sister, dogged his f
Published January 18th 2019 by Nazzaro and Price

To ask other readers questions about To Gamble on an Earl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Gamble on an Earl

Start your review of To Gamble on an Earl: The men of Waterloo Book II
Cheryl
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story moved along at a good pace, the characters were likeable. I like the camaraderie between the men and the women. There is a dangerous enemy that causes concern for Phoebe and Evan. This was an entertaining read. I hadn’t read the previous one in the series but this didn’t hinder my enjoyment.
Elodie
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had a hard time to think about this book.
I won’t sum up the story as the blurb does the job, but it was quite a confusing read, the jumps in time lost me as the abrupt changes of scene. In all I do not know why but this book did not ringed true for me, it lacked something to make me like the protagonists.
In fact I was more interested to some of the side characters.
The main couple did not attract me, I do understood PTSD, lest I did not really cheered for Phoebe, her too frequent changes of hea
Lori D
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story has a little of everything needed in a Regency historical romance. Suspense, intrigue, a ruthless character, a wounded hero, hidden emotions and a journey to a happy ever after that will not be easy. Lady Phoebe was best friends with Lady Lettice since childhood and had always been a little in love with her brother Evan, Lord Foxington. Back from the war, Fox was set on seeing Phoebe and dancing with her at the ball they were attending. Sparks seem to be flying between them and the at ...more
Marie
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lady Phoebe and Lady Lettice are best friends. Lettice's brother, Lord Foxington has been enchanted by Phoebe since they were small. He likes to gamble, whether it's during war or at the gaming table. He is usually lucky and expects it to continue. He hopes are that he and Phoebe will become betrothed. Foxington plans to take Phoebe into dinner, but he is playing cards. When she receives a note to meet Lord Foxington in a room for a tryst, she is very surprised. When she gets there, she is confr ...more
Nancy
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Phoebe Collins has loved Evan, the Earl of Foxington since she was a young girl. Lettice his sister is her best friend. They are all at a ball when Phebe receives a note to meet Foxington in a room down the hall from the ballroom. She has had some champagne and decides she will do it. When she gets there it is not Foxington who meets her. This sets the stage for the rest of the story. Who was this man? Did Foxington send him? Will she ever be able to let a man touch her again? How do they work i ...more
Margaret
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a short book and reads very quickly. Phoebe and Foxington have known each other since they were children. Between his leave and return from the Napoleonic War their feelings for each other have grown. Could this be love? After a ball, Phoebe changes and rebuffs Foxington's affection. Granted he gambles and Phoebe hates it, but he thinks it could be something else. Getting to the bottom of the change is his goal with the help of his friends.
A little bumpy to an HEA. A free copy from Netga
Wanda
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
To Gamble on an Earl was a good story that got my attention right from the beginning. I did not read the first book in the series and it did not take away from this book. I feel it can be read as a stand-alone.

The book is simple and not a lot of depth, but still a good read. It's the story of: two childhood friends that have grown to something more.

Over all a good easy, light read

ARC was provided to me in exchange for an honest review.
Cynthia
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed The Men of Waterloo series so far. Although this is the second book, I think it can be read as a stand-alone.

Diane has researched the Regency and in particular Waterloo. It’s the historical aspect of these romances that help to immerse you in the time period and add to the joy of reading. I thought Phoebe and Foxington were a well-matched couple. The plot had some moments of suspense and was interesting.

I am looking forward to the next in the series.
Cherry London
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the little bit of the psychic addition of the second sight and the slight intrigue they gave this books quite a fascinating appeal. Phoebe and Evan came close to losing the winning pot of all times. A remarkable and exciting read.
Chantelle
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Playfully written I was expecting dramatics and witty to the inferno level my brain was imagining but I was pleasantly surprised with the story I loved the read glad I made the time.
Jamie Jack
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: p-2019, regency
I am of several minds about this book. I think the author did an excellent job showing the heroine in a light that seemed more realistic to Regency times than contemporarily written Regency romances tend to be. I thought that her reaction to the traumatic event the ball turned out to be seemed realistic for a sheltered woman, no matter how vivacious she had been before. Even the way that she turned down her friend at first for a social call—how it was handled in that scene—seemed very accurate t ...more
Emireland
Aug 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
I don't know what to say. In the hands of a better writer, this may have been good. Childhood friends, grew up to be attracted to each other, heroine suffers a tragic event, hero is troubled; all classic romance novel recipe. But they way it was told was so poor that you're not really sure of any of the above.
Does the earl really have a gambling problem? Halfway through the book, I still can't tell. He plays cards at balls, but don't all the gentlemen at that time do to pass the time if not in
Jackie M
Apr 25, 2019 rated it did not like it
To Gamble on an Earl by Diane Spigonardo [Dario], BooksGoSocial, 2019.

This book could have been okay, it has a simple, familiar plot: two childhood companions face a growing attraction. They each have wonderful friends. Threats to their happiness include a villain intending harm and gambling.

Unfortunately, Lady Phoebe and Lord Evan are one-dimensional caricatures of "good" regency heroines and heroes. He is a slightly damaged from the war, she sews lovely clothes for the less fortunate, seeming
Michelle Lee
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
So this book had the potential to be great however it fell a little flat for me. The idea of the story was good however the book was kind of all over the place leaving me confused many times trying to figure out what was going on for instance I was reading along when suddenly it skips ahead by many months with no warning. The Hero Lord Foxington was a likeable character while Lady Pheobe was just ok, I will admit she was suffering after being attacked however she was so hot and cold that I could ...more
carolyn phillips
Feb 06, 2019
rena cooks
May 27, 2019
Diane Dario
Jan 27, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Nancy Burgess
Shelly Peterson
Angelica Dimeo
sgrm9514
Mar 12, 2019

• One Night of Passion (Wicked Dukes Club #3)
  • One Night of Scandal (Wicked Dukes Club #4)
  • One Night for Seduction (Wicked Dukes Club #1)
  • One Night to Remember (Wicked Dukes Club #5)
  • Rogue Most Wanted (The Cavensham Heiresses #5)
  • Smitten by the Brit (Sometimes in Love, #2)
  • A Legacy of Murder (Kate Hamilton Mysteries, #2)
  • An Unwilling Earl
  • The Earl Next Door (First Comes Love, #1)
  • The Spitfire (Wicked Wallflowers, #5)
  • The Noble Guardian (The Bow Street Runners, #3)
  • To Resist a Scandalous Rogue (Once Upon a Scandal, #2)
  • One Night of Surrender (Wicked Dukes Club #2)
  • The Wedding Planner (Whispers Wood #3)
  • The Duke's Regret: A Short Regency Novel (The Duchess of Gracechurch Trilogy Book 3)
  • Revenge of the Barbary Ghost (Lady Anne, #2)
  • How to Best a Marquess (Raven Club, #2)
  • Regarding the Duke (Game of Dukes, #3)
Always an avid reader, I was introduced to the world of historical romance at the age of fourteen by a favorite aunt From that day, I was determined to create my own world of romance, filled with the British aristocracy and the turbulent Regency Era, during and after the Napoleonic Wars.

When not reading or writing about Dukes, Earls and their ladies, I spend my time making beautiful memories with

News & Interviews