Start by marking “Abigail” as Want to Read:
Abigail

Abigail

Since the death of her mother, Abigail Blakeslee has lost all desire to become a debutante and enter Society. But now, foregoing her first Season has brought an unwanted invitation to join her aunt and cousins for a summer at Timpton House, the large estate of the Stanton family.

Reluctantly accepting, Abigail is thrust into the vexing world of social propriety and matchm
Published January 18th 2019 by Vagabond Publishing (first published January 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Abigail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abigail

Start your review of Abigail
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Kindle freebie Regency romance, of the sweet and clean variety. If you’re a fan of Edenbrooke and ingenue heroines, give this one a try.

3.5 stars. I do think it borrows too many plot concepts from Edenbrooke (which this author read and rated 5 stars). You have a young, goodhearted heroine whose mother has died, sent off on a lengthy visit to someone else's home, where she meets an attractive man who (it's clear to everyone but the heroine) is very interested in her, but she's determined not to
Kathy
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
LOVED THIS ONE!! Found a new favorite author! Add this to your to-read shelf! This book is proof that a debut author can self publish a book worth reading! Well done!!

Coming January 22nd.

Content: clean
Deanne Patterson
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Despite this being a debut author the author doesn't write like she is. This book has a lot of substance. A lot of regencies in my opinion have a lot of fluff and eye lash fluttering and flirting over fans. The heroine here, Abigail is not afraid to state her opinion on things and tell Edwin Stanton exactly how she feels about things. After her mother's death Abigail is sent to Timpton House, the estate of the Stanton family. She didn't attend her first season in London so she'll be eased into s ...more
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
Ooh, I really enjoyed this story! It definitely had a Pride and Prejudice sort of feel for me with the brooding hero, the passionate and intelligent heroine and plenty of misunderstand and judgements on both sides.

Abigail is so easy to love. Honestly, she is kind, compassionate and freely herself even when it goes against what is "proper". She is a defender of people and exceptionally loyal. See? What's not to love?

I love how this story unfolded. Insight came little by little as I came to know
Katie W
I love a delicious story full of conflicting personalities, hidden secrets, and a budding romance, and this one is just that. Abigail has had a hard life and this new situation that she's almost unwillingly thrust into is a challenge. It's refreshing for the times to see her hold true to herself and not to lose herself in the expectations of society.

Abigail is such a darling protagonist and has no qualms about helping those around her, especially the Bragg family is who struggling and down on th
Julie Carpenter
I love when a cover catches my eye. This was one of those covers. I couldn’t look away and was instantly drawn into the thought that I wanted to know what the book was about. The saying, “Don’t judge a book by its cover,” isn’t true in this instance. Totally judge this book by its cover because it’s a gorgeous book outside and inside the pages. It was a book that I highly recommend you don’t start reading unless you have plenty of time to read without having to set the book down. Because believe ...more
Mara
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love when the female characters go against "the proper ways" of the time and Abigail Blakeslee (Abee) does that quite a bit. When Abigail's mother died she was allowed to skip having a Season that year, but now she finds herself at a houseparty at Timpton House to kind of ease her into society so she'll be prepared for her Season, but Abigail doesn't want a Season at all. She's not the flirty, bat-your-eyelashes, looking-for-anyone-with-a-title kind of young lady. She's the kind of young woman ...more
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
This was a wonderful escape into the world of Regency England! I enjoyed Abigail and her somewhat unconventional attitude, and found it interesting who she chose to placate and who she felt she needed to be disrespectful to. She and Edwin definitely have a Darcy/Lizzie thing going, and it was fun seeing their interest and attraction despite their best efforts. I especially liked the parts where they get away from the house and are able to discover the deeper layers behind each of their facades. ...more
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
This was an excellent debut novel for Jess Heileman. I loved the story and the characters!

Abigail is a young woman who suffers from anxiety. She is full of spunk and humor when one gets to know her. A difficult past was alluded to several times in the book and it was rewarding when all of the secrets came to light. All of the little pieces of the puzzle came together quite nicely.

The book has characters that I loved and some that I disliked. It was the perfect house party. (I'm chuckling to myse
Melissa Tagg
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
😍😍😍 You guys. This book. I loved it so much! Like, I think I'm going to have to buy the paperback and put it on my shelf of faves right beside Edenbrooke and Blackmoore. I adored every little second of it. It's everything I love in a good regency...and actually, it's more. There's a layer of the plot that includes the heroine (following the example of her parents) caring for a disadvantaged family and I just love the conversations in the book that come from that. (I work for a nonprofit that car ...more
Christina
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5+ Stars!!

I finished this book in one day- I’m still reeling and picking it up to re-read favorite parts. This is without a doubt one of the best regency romances I have read in quite some time! It’s still hard to believe this is the author’s first novel- I hope she continues to write more because this book is a gift.

The protagonist, Abigail, had me rooting for her from the start. She is kind, witty, independent, smart, and not afraid to stand up for her beliefs. I loved seeing her grow and blo
Melissa
Another book with the Darcy and Elizabeth feel. Loved this one. Read it so fast I forgot to review it:} I will be following this author closely. Really liked how it was written and how it all was resolved. Well done plot and story and highly entertaining:} I could not believe this was a new author, I was so impressed. If this is her first book I can't wait to see what else she does.
Kelly
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!!
Ru4repeat
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-club
A regal regency read

I'll give you peek at some of the numerous notes in my Kindle edition of this book to help you understand what you're in for. "So true" was noted first, followed by several "hahaha" peppered with "touché" and "so witty." My favorites were "swoon" or "be still my heart."
I enjoyed the first person perspective throughout. I really liked the instances where I felt like I knew more than Abigail about what was going on!
The characters had depth and were not only relatable, but enga
Camille
Abigail was such a charming story, both beautifully written and well crafted. The plot was engaging and all the characters were well developed. I especially adored the first-person narration told from Abigail’s perspective. She was a darling protagonist and her love interest, Edwin, brooding and mysterious.

At first, I wasn’t sure how I felt about their ‘Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy’ relationship, but their interactions were adorable and the development of their romance was wonderfully portra
Sarah Monzon
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Readers of Julie Klassen and Carolyn Miller will love this addiction to Regency fiction. This story has notes of Pride and Prejudice as well as Edenbrooke by Julianne Donaldson. Enjoyable though there were moments I wanted to shake Abigail.
Dana Michael
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Awesome story

Abigail is a beautiful Regency romance by a new to me author. I loved it. My only concern while reading was I wanted to know Edwin, the hero's point of view. Y'all, dont worry, because at the end you get it. And wow what an ending. It was a lovely happily ever after. I only hope this author plans a book about Lydia and Laurence too.
Nari
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book. I loved the depth to the characters. The storyline was engaging. It had some twists I didn't see coming. I loved the development of the romance. This is amazing for an author's first book. I can't wait to read more of her books.
Tamara
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's official, I cried when I thought Abigail wouldn't get her HEA with Edwin. I went through a whirl of emotions just trying to understand how would Abigail get her man. I loved how strong a character that Abigail was. This was a joy to read!
Jane
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Abigail was one of those books I had a hard time putting down. Jess Heileman pulled me in with her characterization and plot development. Parts of the ending were far from what I expected when I started reading the book.

Abigail Blakeslee has been attempting to avoid her "first season." Her mother died and her father and older brother have struggled somewhat to help Abigail in her societal obligations. Her brother insists their father send her to Timpton House to participate in a society gatherin
Lori
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! I downloaded this book as soon after it was released. While I was reading it, I kept wondering why I didn’t read it sooner. It was exceptionally good! The story had an element of intrigue, and the romance was wonderful. This was such an enjoyable read, and I can’t wait to see what this new author writes next.
Maria Thomas
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I quite enjoyed this book. This is the authors only book listed on good reads and I find it remarkable that this could be a first book. I had so many questions come to mind during my reading which eventually all got answered but they weren't all obvious from the start. And while we knew from the start how the romance would end there were some twists and turns in there that I didn't see coming at all. The one solid predictable was that Abigail and Edwin would end up together. All the re
Rachel
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming Regency story with some nods to Pride and Prejudice, with some brooding, feisty and witty characters.
Andrea
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jess Heileman did a very nice job with her debut novel, Abigail. I'm a sucker for characters that don't fit the mold, and Abigail was just such a character. Her good heart was very endearing, as was her relationship with her father and brother (although most of that is from a distance in this story, we get a very good feel for it). Her loyalty was also notable, especially because it meant sacrificing her own happiness.

I liked the banter between the main characters, and the goodness in many of th
Daynagirl17
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Charming book. Always look a good and clean escape!
Debbie
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read by Jess Heileman and I thoroughly enjoyed it. This will not be the last book I read from this author. The characters in this story ranged from the heroine and hero to the possible fiance' and a blind uncle.

Abigail Blakeslee is sent to the home of Edwin Stanton and his family's at the request of her aunt. There she meets the man her cousin Helena wishes to marry and is expecting a proposal any day. Edwin is courting Helena, but dragging his heels on a proposal.
Cathy
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love it when I find a good Regency romance that makes me forget the stuffy time period rules! This is one of those. I loved the way the story flowed. Everything about it just works.

Abigail is such a great main character. I liked the way the author made it happen that Abigail had a secret that not even the reader knew until it was unveiled. She did an amazing job! Abigail is a great character, I wanted good things for her. Even though it didn’t seem as though it was going to work out that way.
Cheryl-Lynn
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Abigail sucked me in from the first page and I had a hard time putting it down. A sweet Regency romance with all the back and forth love vs duty inherent in this type of book- which helps make them one of my favorite! The characters are well developed and believable. I immediately related to Abigail and loved following her in her various interactions with the different gentleman at the house. Her kindness and curiosity were enduring. There were a few twists that make the book unique. I
Melissa
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would read more by this author.
Desiree
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a brand new author for me and her writing had me staying up too late to finish the book. I enjoyed the dialogue, how scenes were set/described. The author did well in sucking me into the story. The h was feisty and funny. In just having watched North and South, movie based on Elizabeth Gaskell's book, the romance reimnded me a bit of that. Enemies to friends to love. There was a good twist that I didn't see! What gave me pause was how a scandal at the end was handled. I don't think peopl ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Last Eligible Bachelor  (Seasons of Change Book, #3)
  • Letters for Phoebe (Promise of Forever After Book 1)
  • Suffering the Scot (Brotherhood of the Black Tartan #1)
  • The Ace of Hearts  (Larkhall Letters #1)
  • To Catch A Suitor (Dalton Family #2)
  • A Forgiving Heart (Seasons of Change #2)
  • My Wild Heart (Regency Shakespeare Book 2)
  • The Road Through Rushbury (Seasons of Change, #1)
  • Reforming Lord Neil (Inglewood #5)
  • Wyndcross (Families of Dorset #1)
  • A Regrettable Proposal
  • To Love a Lord (Rebellious Hearts Book 1)
  • Hazelhurst (Families of Dorset #4)
  • Beauty and the Baron (Forever After Retellings, #1)
  • A Foolish Heart (Regency Shakespeare #1)
  • Miss Adeline's Match
  • To Con a Gentleman (Dalton Family #1)
  • Isabel (Families of Dorset #2)
In kindergarten, Jess won a first prize ribbon for her original creation Pigs in Wigs. The premise was golden: there was this pig that wore a wig… it was a solid storyline—and it rhymed. Not impressed? Neither were her children when shown the very masterpiece that influenced her to become an author. “You won a ribbon for that?” Yes. Yes, she did.

Thankfully, life has since exposed her to a thoroug