Start by marking “The Sorceress in Training (Fairy Tale Kingdoms, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Sorceress in Training (Fairy Tale Kingdoms, #3)

The Sorceress in Training

(Fairy Tale Kingdoms #3)

Before Lady Brynn took her first breath, her life's path was already chosen. Born into a family that values tradition, at twenty years of age, Brynn is expected to travel to the College on the Mount and spend the rest of her days immersed in books—learning science, architecture, and mathematics, devoting herself wholly to her studies, forbidden from indulging in frivolitie ...more
Published February 25th 2019 by Shari L. Tapscott (first published February 19th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Sorceress in Training, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sorceress in Training

Start your review of The Sorceress in Training (Fairy Tale Kingdoms, #3)
christi anne
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This series by Shari L. Tapscott deserves a lot more attention then it gets.

I loved this book, almost more than the second one, and would recommend it to all you retelling- or fantasy-romance lovers out there.

Brynn... loved her. Also, I liked Marcus. A lot.

Don't get me wrong, Gavin is amazing and, I guess, perfect for our Brynn, but I always (view spoiler)
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
I am always on the lookout for a new book by Shari Tapscott. Her books are some of my favorites. This book is the third book in a series of fairy tale re-tellings. Characters from previous books are mentioned and one of the main characters from The Queen of Gold and Straw (Rune) makes a prominent appearance in this book as his story continues from the last book. I was actually so glad to see him. My heart gave a happy sigh that I would hopefully see a happy ending for him. Because of the ongoing ...more
Lynn
Shari Tapscott is almost a really good fit for my book tastes. That is, if it wasn't for the fact that she include a love triangle in EVERY darn book she writes. I am not a fan of love triangles and thus it always takes just a little of my enjoyment away. This could have been a 4 or even 5 star read and it took it down to maybe a 3 or 3.5 star read. Now I remember why I took a break after book 2 of this series. It had a sad love triangle. The odd man out got an ending here but now there is someo ...more
Ashleigh
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I didn't know how much I needed a retelling of the Sorcerer's apprentice till I read this beauty! Honestly, it had my heart in knots, and all over the place. I seriously don't know how the author manages it, but she had me hating one person one second and loving them the next, and it was AWESOME. Right from the beginning, I loooved Brynn's character. She's young, intelligent, and hopelessly dramatic and romantic. (Kind of reminding me of Marianne from Sense and Sensibility. She meets Gavin, and ...more
Kim  Gregory
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Normally I give Shari Tapscott a five star rating, but for some reason I had trouble getting into this story and staying interested throughout the reading. I liked the story, thus four stars, but I just didn't get lost in the story like I usually do with her tales.

The story is about Brynn and Gavin. Brynn is the second child of a noble family and the second child in this family always goes off to the College on the Mount to spend the rest of their life learning. Brynn didn't want that for hersel
Caitlyn
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those who hated Book 2's Ending
I almost didn't read this one. Book 2 sucked a lot of the desire to continue the series. I'm so glad that I did. Some unresolved Book 2 plot points get resolved in this one.

The plot was intriguing. I liked that we got to see a different side of Marcus. (You know the dude we all hated in Book 2 when he said something no human was supposed to?) He becomes more of an anti-hero then a HE MUST DIE character. Brynn was fun. I liked how she took the first opportunity (became an apprentice to a random s
Kerri
Okay. Three cheers for a woman who knows what she wants, and is willing to stick to her guns to get it. Brynn’s convictions were something I really enjoyed in this book; she wasn’t afraid to go against the grain. Gavin fell a little flat for me, but maybe that’s because I prefer Tapscott’s snarky male characters to the stoic, solemn ones (though Archer ❤️). I wanted Gavin to do more than just be there.

Something that really surprised me was the interactions with Marcus. Given the set up in Queen
Bess
Apr 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairy-tales, borrowed
Okay, I know after book 2, I wrote this series off. But the cover kept drawing me back. And Shari! I love Shari's books! My 10 year-old son has read Pippa & Anwen! So, we are huge fans.
I'm glad I gave this one a shot. Book 2 was so heartbreaking.
Not this one! Brynn is headed to a life of solitude and celibacy. Nothing she welcomes freely. Having fallen in love with Gavin, her guard, at first site, she's having her doubts.
Thanks to a broken axel on her carriage, Brynn finds herself meeting a sorc
Leah
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great fairytale retelling in this series! I instantly loved Brynn and, of course, also instantly loved Gavin...I kind of liked Marcus, too. :-)
In the beginning, I wondered how this story was going to tie into the two previous stories, and then suddenly, it all comes together!
Without giving too much away, this book has magic, fantasy, lots of swoon worthy chemistry, and a really entertaining story line.
Even though it’s technically a stand alone book, everything makes more sense if you’
Sami
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was another good addition to the Fairy Tale Kingdoms series. Not only do you get the story of the Sorcerer's Apprentice but you also get another little mini sized fairy tale for Rune and Eva. I wasn't sure if Rune and Eva would get their own story or not but it seems like she wrapped up their story from Queen of Gold and Straw in The Sorceress in Training. The Sorcerer Marcus from the former mentioned book is Brynn's master in the latter. It took me a minute to realize that, oops. It was in ...more
Catherine
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've been loving this series, but for some reason this book didn't capture me like the prior two have. I loved revisiting characters from the previous stories, but I felt like this story suffered a little from that incorporation? Almost like there was so much focus on making sure those characters remained consistence with who they'd been in the prior encounters that we lost out on more development of Brynn & Gavin?
It just wasn't as satisfying, which is disappointing because I love these stories
Diane E
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well written , with familiar characters popping up

Brynn does not want to be the scholar her father has decreed she must be . So when the carriage taking her to the college breaks down she runs away . Her guard and long time friend follows and finds her . She met sorcerer along the road and secured an apprenticeship with him. And so begins her transformation . Gavin sticks around . New friends and dangers follow . Interesting approach to the tale, with a few happy twists .
Lisa Rector
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved! I haven’t even read the first one in the series, but I did read the second. And I saw how the author had pulled in characters and story lines from the other novels, and it made me just love it! I loved the main character and even loved the villain, even though it took me a while to connect it to the other story. I think I liked it better because I didn’t remember the villain from book 2. And Rune was back! Yay! So much fun.

Reader Rated for ages 12+ for fairytale fun adventure.
Amber  Christiansen
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enchanting

I loved reading this story. Gavin and Brynn's romance was sweet and satisfying. I was also really glad to see more of Rune and Eva from Rumplestiltskin. I did find myself feeling sorry for Marcus, which was unexpected, and I hope he gets to find someone in a future book.
Katrina
I read all three of the books in this series because I was intrigued by this one, and this one turned out to be my least favorite. 😒 I ended up with a lot of unanswered questions. Like, how can she use magic? I will apparently never know. 🤷‍♀️ Overall, the series was not bad, but it was not really “my thing”.
Jules Pool
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So sad the series over! I loved it so much! It was totally clean and I loved the love story in it. I’ve never read the sorcerers apprentice so it was cool to read this retelling of it! I highly recommend this book!

Jules
T.K.
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I loved getting the end of Rune and Eva's story, the humanizing of the Sorcerer, and the magic. I didn't much love the romance. To me it seemed fairly obvious that the hero and heroine could be together, and I got impatient waiting for him to figure that out. ...more
Kimberly Gordon-Bercich
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Poor Guy

When there are five players in romance and only two people per couple, there is bound to be an odd man out. But what about the other girl?
Karen
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Solid read, enjoyable story line, a love story worth rooting for.
Anna Cisney Barclay
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read from Shari Tapscott, as always. It was fun to see characters from other books in the series. Keep them coming :)
Jenny Koch
I had high expectations but was a bit underwhelmed in the end. I didn't really care to root for any of the lead characters. ...more
Lisa Whitehead
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another masterful retelling of an old fairy tale.

Great protagonists, good plot, an enjoyable read.
Denice Darland
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great double twist adaptation

Well written retelling of The Sorcerers Apprentice that tale I to Rumplestiltskin. A fun read with ample action and adventure.
Jeppesen Frances
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely phenomenal! My favorite of this series, hands down! I could gush about this book for a long time, but just take my word for it and read it yourself.
Kelli
Oct 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I have enjoyed so many of this authors books. Although this one wasn’t my fav it was still a fun read with magic and wit and some beloved characters.
Rebekah
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not a bad book. I'm almost interested in the authors other books. We will see. ...more
Alisha HS
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great read. Leaves you wanting more.

This was a really enjoyable read and expertly weaves in pieces from the previous books. I would definitely read the next one!
Tara
Aug 22, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 stars - a fun, creative book to read
Andrea
Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good

A great series and well written as always. Love how the characters from other books are woven in so nicely.

• Path of Secrets (Andari Chronicles, #6)
  • Daughter of Lies (Andari Chronicles, #5)
  • Shard of Glass: A Cinderella Romance (Fairy Tale Royals, #1)
  • A Beautiful Curse (Entwined Tales, #4)
  • An Unnatural Beanstalk (Entwined Tales, #2)
  • Pirouette (Andari Chronicles, #3)
  • Thorn of Rose: A Beauty and the Beast Romance (Fairy Tale Royals, #2)
  • An Inconvenient Princess (Entwined Tales, #6)
  • Shadow and Thorn (Andari Chronicles, #4)
  • Goldheart (Andari Chronicles, #2)
  • A Goose Girl (Entwined Tales, #1)
  • Voyage (The Kingdom Chronicles #6)
  • Princess of Roses (Fairy Tale Adventures, #4)
  • A Little Mermaid (Entwined Tales, #5)
  • Queen of Cahraman (Fairytales of Folkshore, #3)
  • Beauty of Rosemead (Fairytales of Folkshore, #5)
  • Princess of Mermaids (Fairy Tale Adventures, #3)
  • Princess of Secrets (Fairy Tale Adventures, #2)
Shari L. Tapscott writes young adult fantasy and humorous contemporary fiction. When she's not writing or reading, she enjoys gardening, making soap, and pretending she can sing.

She loves white chocolate mochas, furry animals, spending time with her family, and characters who refuse to behave.

Tapscott lives in western Colorado with her husband, son, daughter, and two very spoiled Saint Bernards.

J

Fairy Tale Kingdoms (3 books)
  • The Marquise and Her Cat (Fairy Tale Kingdoms, #1)
  • The Queen of Gold and Straw (Fairy Tale Kingdoms, #2)