Start by marking “Three Hours: Sermons for Good Friday” as Want to Read:
Three Hours: Sermons for Good Friday

Three Hours: Sermons for Good Friday

On Good Friday, March 30, 2018, Fleming Rutledge preached on the Seven Last Words of Jesus at St. Thomas Church Fifth Avenue, New York City. Her seven meditations, delivered over the course of three hours, were met with rave reviews. Printed in full in this volume, these sermons display Rutledge’s usual combination of resolute orthodoxy and pastoral wisdom—at once tradi

Published January 15th 2019 by Eerdmans

To ask other readers questions about Three Hours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Hours

Start your review of Three Hours: Sermons for Good Friday
Bob
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Summary: Short messages on the "seven last words" of Christ on the cross, preached on Good Friday of 2018.

One of the ways churches have remembered the death of Christ on the cross on what is called Good Friday is through a three hour service from noon until 3 pm, usually organized around the seven "words" of Jesus from the cross, interspersed with liturgy, hymns, prayers, and silence.

Fleming Rutledge gave seven meditations on these "seven last words" at St. Thomas Church Fifth Avenue, New York
Barry
Apr 24, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
Seven incisive sermons, each a meditation on one of Jesus’ Last Words. Delivered as part of a 3-hour Good Friday service, they surely had a powerful impact on the congregants. Unsurprisingly, they’re somewhat less impactful when casually read over the course of a week, but still good.
Karen Hough
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very Sobering!

Just what I needed to put Easter in prospective this year. A thought provoking look at the present through a new visualization of the past. So much to consider.
Robert D. Cornwall
I have participated in Good Friday services for the past twenty plus years, which feature the "Seven Last Words of Christ." I published one set from my days in Santa Barbara under the title "Cries from the Cross." I have found these services, which I share with other clergy to be meaningful (our services have been designed to last one hour). I have not tried to preach on all seven words over a three hour period, which is the traditional format. Fleming Rutledge, however, did just that at St. Tho ...more
Rex
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I had discovered Fleming Rutledge earlier. I had never heard of her before my eye was all but dragged to her book, "The Crucifixion: Understanding the Death of Jesus Christ," on the bookstore shelf. That one is a daunting book I have not yet scaled, but finding it found me her. She is an excellent writer and, best of all, a deep believer, learned and aware, with a gift for expressing profundities in everyday language.

This book is a series of sermons she gave in 2018 during a Good Friday s
Matt
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
This marvelous collection of seven brief homilies, preached by The Rev. Fleming Rutledge during a three-hour period on Good Friday 2018 at St. Thomas Church in New York City, is nothing short of a treasure-trove of material on which to reflect. As a priest and preacher, Rev. Rutledge has in her journey through the three hours on Golgotha opened up entirely new ways for me to look at (and experience) the final hours of the crucified Jesus in my own preaching. But everyone will benefit from spendi ...more
Judy
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exquisite. Powerful. Superb. Preached between noon and 3 p.m. on Good Friday, Rutledge considered the seven last words of Christ. Reading (or hearing) these words is the only way to really say what's true about them.
Richard
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent collection of sermons from Fleming Rutledge. All done on Good Friday in 2018 at St. Thomas Church in Manhattan. Once again, Ms. Rutledge opens up the text and provides a fresh perspective on Christianity. Great read!
Jonathan Pucik
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This beautiful, sophisticated piece can easily be incorporated into anyone's devotions during holy week, lay or ordained. A gift worth giving.
Ben Williams
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerful sermons by the teacher of sermons to seminarians. This collection from sermons is humbling and soul shaking to read. I am renewed and filled by Fleming’s chosen words.
Allison Sikes
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this may become a Holy Week tradition for me. Complex theology of the cross preached in an incredibly relatable way.
Peter Ill
Joey
Apr 19, 2020
J.D. DeHart
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderfully written, I would gladly use this book as a resource for my own sermons. The author writes with the insight of an expert.
Tracie Peecher
Apr 13, 2019
Richard Myerscough
May 21, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Color of Compromise: The Truth about the American Church’s Complicity in Racism
  • The Cross and the Lynching Tree
  • Seculosity: How Career, Parenting, Technology, Food, Politics, and Romance Became Our New Religion and What to Do about It
  • The Common Rule: Habits of Purpose for an Age of Distraction
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)
  • Why I Am a Christian
  • Phantastes
  • On the Road with Saint Augustine: A Real-World Spirituality for Restless Hearts
  • How the Bible Actually Works: In Which I Explain How An Ancient, Ambiguous, and Diverse Book Leads Us to Wisdom Rather Than Answers—and Why That's Great News
  • Pastrix: The Cranky, Beautiful Faith of a Sinner & Saint
  • For the Life of the World: Theology That Makes a Difference
  • The Apostles' Creed: A Guide to the Ancient Catechism
  • Liturgy of the Ordinary: Sacred Practices in Everyday Life
  • The Possibility of Prayer: Finding Stillness with God in a Restless World
  • The Second Mountain
  • Let the People Pick the President: The Case for Abolishing the Electoral College
  • Jesus Feminist: An Invitation to Revisit the Bible's View of Women
  • Be Free or Die: The Amazing Story of Robert Smalls' Escape from Slavery to Union Hero

News & Interviews