Start by marking “Build a Better Brain: Using Everyday Neuroscience to Train Your Brain for Motivation, Discipline, Courage, and Mental Sharpness” as Want to Read:

Neuroscience made simple: practical methods to rewire your brain and take control of your thoughts, actions, and inner voice.
Despite our best efforts, most of the time, we act without thinking. We make poor decisions. But this isn’t our fault! It’s just how our brains are programmed. Now, you don’t have to be a scientist to understand how to use your brain’s instincts to
Published January 18th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Build a Better Brain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Build a Better Brain

Start your review of Build a Better Brain: Using Everyday Neuroscience to Train Your Brain for Motivation, Discipline, Courage, and Mental Sharpness
Henry
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very good read that combines enough science to understand how the brain works and structured in a way to make it accessible to most. The work was balanced so that it both taught about the workings of the brain and its anatomy with ways to change how it works. The book debunks many popular myths and gives the readers proven ways to effect change. I would have liked more references from different studies. I listened to the audiobook and the narrator was very good, the perfect diction and speed ...more
Timothy Tucker
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great motivational read

I have been dealing with being in a rut and isolating myself because of issues with PTSD. Since reading this, I have really become motivated to add good habits and brain strengthening activities. I have lost a lot of weight just by being more active with my family, and I have taken back up my art and music. Amazing how much I have pruned since not using my skills, but they are slowly coming back.
Gerald McLaughlin
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A major emphasis on neuroplasticity, which however seems to be relatively limited; genetics and very early development tend to have 'built right' or less right, the brain and the rest of the CNS and body. Still, whatever the mechanism, there seem relatively efficient strategies to alter good and bad habits, which seems feasible for many.
Hilary Austin
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Clear information on how to go about achieving your goals

This book helps you to break down the distance between where you are now and what you want to achieve. It explains what to do and the science of how the brain works, to help you to plan and achieve the desired results.
Very motivating and an enjoyable read.
Michele Selwood
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full of Great Information

I have struggled with self discipline, and never knew why. Most books just follow Nike and say just do it. This book takes a look at what your brain is doing and why stopping a bad habit or forming a new one isn't easy. I love the if-then statements to form a new habit. If x happens, then I do y. I can take this information, and make a change for good!
Ronnie Lee
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finally an informative book

This book may have saved my life or extended the quality of. I am a 38 yr old veteran I suffer from PTSD and Traumatic Brain Injury and I have been searching for something that could help me manage and this is it! Thank you!
Carley
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Science meets self-help

Both interesting in research and practical in applications, this is one of the best books I've read to motivate me to keep growing and thinking about habits and changing patterns. Want to read it again!
Panashe M.
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent primer on neuroplasticity

This book deals with many of the same topics you'll find in modern self-help books, but from the perspective of examining physical and chemical changes in the brain. The lone major criticism I have is the level lack of citations.
John Dembeck
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A good combination of scientific information and practical application in an easy to read format. If you are looking to make some changes, this is an excellent resource for information on how to train your brain to do so.
Nadian Gayle
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Self reassurance !

I love that it gives you pointers but also examples for you to follow what is being said in book
Johan
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very useful

I like the style of Peter. I enjoy the book. I learned a lot about the brain, it's a book ease to read.
Craig Herb
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A little technical, but good information

Skip to the end of you are in a hurry and you'll find a lot of value in a lot less time.
Alice Arroyo
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Neuroplasticity

It was a fascinating read. I learned many new things and it gave me hope that it's possible to stop Alzheimer disease.
Ziya
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
+really simple to read
+interesting after some point
+informative

-the main info is somewhere in the middle and in the end.
Macy Rhiannon
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very inspiring, motivating, and educational. Helped allot to lift me from dated beliefs of a broken brain with my brain injury.
Thys Delport
bonnie curry christner
Jun 16, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• How to Become a Straight-A Student
  • The Art of Clear Thinking: Mental Models for Better Reasoning, Judgment, Analysis, and Learning. Upgrade Your Intellectual Toolkit.
  • Mind to Matter: The Astonishing Science of How Your Brain Creates Material Reality
  • The Memory of Us
  • Self-Discipline: Develop Daily Habits to Program Your Mind, Build Mental Toughness, Self-Confidence and WillPower
  • The Science of Getting Started: How to Beat Procrastination, Summon Productivity, and Stop Self-Sabotage
  • Activate Your Brain: How Understanding Your Brain Can Improve Your Work - and Your Life
  • How to Be an Imperfectionist: The New Way to Fearlessness, Confidence, and Freedom from Perfectionism
  • Master Your Mind: The More You Think, The Easier It Gets
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • Learn To Think in Systems: Use System Archetypes to Understand, Manage, and Fix Complex Problems and Make Smarter Decisions
  • The Discipline of Masters: Destroy Big Obstacles, Master Your Time, Capture Creative Ideas and Become the Leader You Were Born to Be
  • Genius Foods: Become Smarter, Happier, and More Productive While Protecting Your Brain for Life
  • Unbeatable Mind: Forge Resiliency and Mental Toughness to Succeed at an Elite Level
  • Innovation and Scaling for Impact: How Effective Social Enterprises Do It
  • Improve Your Conversations: Think On Your Feet, Witty Banter, and Always Know What To Say with Improv Comedy Techniques (Social Skills, Small Talk, and Communication Skills Mastery)
  • If: Trading Your If Only Regrets for God's What If Possibilities