Start by marking “Runaways, Vol. 2: Teenage Wasteland (Runaways, #2)” as Want to Read:
Runaways, Vol. 2:  Teenage Wasteland (Runaways, #2)

Runaways, Vol. 2: Teenage Wasteland

(Runaways #2)

Still on the run from their super-villain parents, this motley crew of super-powered kids finds a kindred spirit in a daring young stranger and welcomes him into their fold. But will this dashing young man help the teenagers defeat their villainous parents...or tear them apart? One troubled member finds out, as she leaves the group's hideout with their new recruit, who rev ...more
Published July 19th 2006 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Runaways, Vol. 2, please sign up.
My (Lostinfantasybooks) It's amazing, but you should start with volume 1. Victor Mancha shows up in the Runaways series from 2005/6, it starts in volume 4.

Anne
Aug 09, 2010 rated it really liked it

Teenage Wasteland is another decent installment of the Runaways that gives a bit more info on The Pride, a tad more about the personalities and newfound powers of our main characters, and best of all...a showdown with Cloak and Dagger!

description

All in all, it's not a bad comic. I probably would have loved all the angsty anti-grownup sentiment when I was a tween/teen/young adult.
Alas, I'm a full-fledged enemy of fun now. And, as such, I find some of the more juvenile aspects of this a little grat
Jan Philipzig
In this second volume, Runaways gradually becomes more recognizable as a superhero title: our teenage protagonists discover their powers, put on costumes, go on patrol, fight; they even have an encounter with Marvel’s long-established B-list heroes Cloak & Dagger. In the capable hands of Vaughan and Alphona it all feels completely organic, though, and the spotlight is still very much on the characters rather than the action.

Best of all, your typical "hypermasculine superhero restores flawles
Chad
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Vaughan's goes whole hog into YA land. The main story gets very little acknowledgement as we are introduced to a new runaway that's little more than a way to inject some teen angst and drama. Then, the Runaways finally meet some characters from the larger Marvel U in Cloak & Dagger. It's fitting for the original Marvel runaways to make an appearance in the title. There's quite a few stand out moments in their meetup.

Alphona's art is a little more detailed here but still relies on the colori
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z2018, graphic-novels
Another good volume. The story is entertaining and I like getting to know more about the kids, their world and their powers. The series hasn’t really blown me away yet but I am enjoying it. I think I’ve gotten used to the illustrations because I liked them way more in this volume. I’m excited to see what happens next.
Sam Quixote
Alex, Gertrude, Karolina, Chase, Molly and Nico are The Runaways, hiding out from their newly revealed supervillain parents aka The Pride. Are murderous supervillain parents with seemingly unlimited resources the biggest threat to these teenagers? No, it’s a cute boy!! Ohmigod Topher is like so hawt, sploosh! As the girls’ bickering over the new kid on the block threatens to break up the group, a pair of Z-list heroes called Cloak and Dagger are hired by The Pride to track down the Runaways.

The
Sh3lly
The kids are still running from their villainous parents, who are members of a mysterious organization called the Pride (I want to learn more about them). They're still experimenting with their powers and mutant abilities. In this one, they meet a vampire and a "b-list" hero duo called Cloak and Dagger.

I love this series! There's a lot of humor, pop culture references, and even Captain America and Black Widow get name-dropped. My library, for some reason, has all of these but volume 3, and it's
Paul E. Morph
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Second book of 2019! (I wonder how long I'll keep this up?)

Another solid volume of Runaways fun, with added Cloak & Dagger. Wait... aren't they on different networks? Are they allowed to crossover? ;-)
Scarlet Cameo
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ok, this story is pretty awesome, we can see their first encounter with other superheroes but...it doesn't came completely good. The "problem" here is that we saw all of them more like teenagers, the boys/girls thing, can't understand what's happening and how loyalty can be to each others.

In this volumen Gertrude took the lead as the most awesome girl here, maybe she is so into their own problems that she took the entire situation really well focused. She don't need the drama, she need find solu
Mike
Oct 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Not as exciting as Vaughan's second volume of Saga, but has enough momentum from the core story (super-villain parents chasing after their runaway do-gooder kids) to keep me interested in reading the next volume.

I rolled my eyes pretty hard at the teenage romance-politics+angst sideline, which is where I lost my love-for-all-Vaughan-comics innocence here. I remember being that young (barely) and I remember wondering what it would be like to actually have a girl that interested in me - so maybe p
Cisz Strasters
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
AWESOME!!!!! Blij dat ik de hele serie compleet heb en door kan ♡
Robert
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hoopla, marvel
Builds on the strengths of Vol. 1 and takes the first steps into a wider Marvel Universe with a guest shot from Cloak and Dagger, everyone's fave NYC-based Marvel D-listers.

Things are gearing up for some kind of big reveal or game-changing event in vol. 3, can't wait!
Elizabeth
May 26, 2015 rated it liked it
A good follow-on that keeps up the fun but possibly strays a little too far into the ridiculous at moments.
Kay
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
The story is moving along with the kids on the run/hiding out.

I liked this more than Vol 1. with action, legit monsters, and even more teenage drama (oh kids and their crushes). Runaways is picking up, though it is still only the beginning.

I liked how Lucy in the Sky is sort of liquid sunshine, and I especially liked the ending with Cloak and Dagger.
Alex: "Don't you see what this is? Two groups of super heroes meet, have a stupid misunderstanding, then fight?"
Truth.

Alex's parents are cold AF t
Wing Kee
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Loses a lot of steam.

World: The art is good, in terms of the facial expressions but I think it lacks the depth that recent Alphona art has. The world building is okay here, not a lot happens in this front and not a lot of depth is given to this area. We don't learn a lot more about the Pride and we just have the kids hang out.

Story: Loses a lot of the momentum of the first arc. It felt like it was spinning it's wheels much like the kids in this arc. It is a realistic look at what teenagers would
Kevin Fanning
May 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
One other thing I meant to mention in my review of Vol 1, but that's OK because it still carries over to Vol 2, is the situation with the mole inside the group, who is still loyal to the parents. I really like this idea, but they have a handwritten note from the teen, you're telling me NONE of the parents recognize the handwriting on it? And then in this volume the police guy won't be able to describe the voice he hears to the parents? I mention this not because it distracted from my reading, ju ...more
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

This series is just so much fun! The characters are great, the humor is wonderfully done, the adventures strike that balance between out of this world yet believable.

So glad I have volume 3 close at hand!!
Akke
Aug 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, comics, e-book
I mean I like the story, but I don't really like the characters.
Amanda
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5*
Artemy
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, marvel
Previous volume was fine, but this one gets noticeably worse. First off, the main story almost did not progress. All the kids are still in hiding, we don't know much more about their parents' motivations than we did before, and this stupid intrigue about the mole in the group really starts to get annoying. Come on, it is SO OBVIOUS! Vaughan practically doesn't hide it at all.

The title arc of the book feels like a 4-issue filler, and it is way too soon in the series for fillers to start showing u
Cale
May 05, 2012 rated it liked it
I decided to keep re-reading Runaways in light of seeing the series, to get an idea of where it might go next. This second volume knocks off two of the to-dos of your average new comic series - you've got the kids' first caper, as they foil a convenience store robbery, only to gain a new member (which of course does not play out as expected), and it also includes the first series crossover, with Cloak & Dagger. I'm not overly familiar with the pair, but the crossover works pretty well. The w ...more
Joy
Okay, this issue was just too messy for me. First there's a vampire infiltrator who the kids end up accidentally killing and then Cloak and Dagger make a random appearance (and disappearance). Both are set up like they are supposed to make some huge impact later, but in the end, neither really affected the whole "evil-parents-help-us" plot that much. And of course, the 'rents still have their own little evil story in the background. All-in-all, I wasn't very impressed by this issue of Runaways. ...more
Chihoe Ho
The introduction of a new character in this second volume and the events that proceed it felt too much like a detour for our young runaways in the midst of the grander scheme of things. Furthermore the artwork looked really uneven, even within both Alphona's and Miyazawa's own illustrated issues. The appearance of Cloak & Dagger was the bright spot of this volume, and the fact that the team is cracking before it even truly formed keeps things so intriguing.
Joana Veríssimo
Cloak and Dagger are in this!!! That's pretty exciting since they are also getting their own show and I got to learn a bit about them before that
I really LOVE the kids on their own and trying to deal with their relationships and being isolated/alone in the same place - all the time with the same six people is not easy :) I'm still really curious about learning more about the parents and Pride
GREAT volume :D
Tar Buendía
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Genial como el primero.

Me ha encantado ver lo que hay detrás de la luz de Karoline, descubrir un poco sus pensamientos en contraposición a los de Nico. Es muy divertido y capta genial el espíritu de la adolescencia.
Además lo que pasa con Topher bien, porque si no me habría enfadado. Capa y Puñal muy bien también.

Lo que sí que no me ha gustado ha sido con el cambio de dibujante la diferencia de dibujo en Gertrude.
Colleen
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Re-reading in preparation for the Runaways show...and say...the Cloak & Dagger tv show should be out soon too! Which is perfect since they make an appearance in these comics--which makes sense--they are the heroes for troubled youth--which gets a nice send up here.
Roy
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Still really enjoying this. Still has a level on intrigue.
Nikki
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love how this series is set in the Marvel universe, but requires no knowledge of any of it. It's my go to recommendation for newbies. And old-bies. And everyone else.
Jordan
Feb 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Jordan by: Emma Osborne-Smith, Rachel Lightwood
This was such a good comic! I loved how these normal teenagers stumbled across an ritualistic organisation from their parents, it sets up such a good story. The story was so good in how they progressed and learned new things as they went on to bring their parents to justice, how they evolved somewhat into superheroes. And I really like how their parents set up this journey for the teens, how they learned to protect and care for each other. They melded so easily into different roles, Alex being t ...more
Nikki
Aug 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Still slight but fun. Interested in the developments with Karolina's character, though; I think I see where that's going, and I hope I'm right. I also have a suspicion about Alex's character development, and I'm not sure I like where that's going.

I do like the little nods to main Marvel continuity -- I don't know much about Cloak and Dagger, but it's still nice, and the references to the Avengers, etc, in the background.
Levi
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'd definitely recommend this series! It just gets better. More complications and possible outcomes.

I like the mystery/suspense element with the "mole" in the group of kids and the slow development of powers and how to use them. It's been nice to see that slow progress throughout the first twelve issues. It makes their abilities more real to me that way--they aren't going to be masters overnight. In addition to this, there seems to be several genres and styles that Vaughan plays with and he doe
Madison Mega-Mara...: #84: Runaways vol 2 by Brian K. Vaughan 1 2 Sep 08, 2013 08:29AM
  • Runaways, Vol. 8: Dead End Kids
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 3: Reach for the Stars
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 2: Road Trip
  • Doomwar
  • X-Factor, Vol. 7:  Time and a Half
  • Agatha Heterodyne and the Chapel of Bones (Girl Genius, #8)
  • Realm of Kings
  • New X-Men: Childhood's End, Volume 2: Crusade
  • Invincible, Vol. 8: My Favorite Martian
  • Ultimate X-Men, Volume 3: World Tour
  • Ultimate X-Men, Volume 8: New Mutants
Born in Cleveland in 1976, Brian K. Vaughan is the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster Award-winning writer and co-creator of the critically acclaimed comics series Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and Ex Machina (picked as one of the ten best works of fiction of 2005 by Entertainment Weekly).

Recently named "Writer of the Year" by Wizard Magazine, and one of the “top ten comic writers of all time” by Comic Boo

Runaways (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Pride and Joy (Runaways, #1)
  • Runaways, Vol. 3: The Good Die Young (Runaways, #3)
  • Runaways, Vol. 4: True Believers (Runaways, #4)
  • Runaways, Vol. 5: Escape to New York (Runaways, #5)
  • Runaways, Vol. 6: Parental Guidance (Runaways, #6)
  • Runaways, Vol. 7: Live Fast (Runaways, #7)
  • Runaways, Vol. 8: Dead End Kids
  • Runaways, Vol. 9: Dead Wrong
  • Runaways, Vol. 10: Rock Zombies (Runaways, #10)
  • Runaways, Vol. 11: Homeschooling