Start by marking “Curse and Consequence (The Whitby Tales, #1)” as Want to Read:
Curse and Consequence (The Whitby Tales, #1)

Curse and Consequence (The Whitby Tales, #1)

When Love visits Ravenhead Hall, sparks fly…quite literally.

Miss Rea Abernathy only wants to honor the family who has taken her under their wing, rescuing her from a life of poverty. But thanks to two determined suitors, she finds herself in a state far worse than the one from which her benefactress saved her.

When Mr. Sedgwick Whitby sets his sights on his mother’s sweet-t
ebook
Published July 4th 2019 by Dragonpen Press

To ask other readers questions about Curse and Consequence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Curse and Consequence

Start your review of Curse and Consequence (The Whitby Tales, #1)
Deborah O'Carroll
You need this hilarious Regency-esque fantasy novella in your life! It recently released and I loved it SO much I read it twice in the same week! (The second time, I read it aloud to my younger brother and sister so I could do the voices, which was so. much. fun! Especially Hugh. XD We laughed a ton! And now we quote it all the time. :P)

This whimsical tale, though in a fantasy setting, has a Georgette Heyer/Jane Austen Regency vibe, with a dash of Diana Wynne Jones (anyone remember Twinkle? I WI
Kyle
There is a strong Jane Austen element to this book, but it's so wonderfully original that it would be unfair to shelve it with fantasy-themed Jane Austen retellings. It's not actually a retelling at all. At heart, it's a Regency fantasy with a world and a story all its own. There's enough of an Austen touch to make fans of the Pride and Prejudice miniseries (or book*) smile at the witty dialogue. But as the synopsis indicates, the influences of Diana Wynne Jones and Gail Carson Levine are there ...more
Beka
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun, gorgeous, whimsical. I can’t wait for more from this romantic, magical Regency-esque world! ❤️
Angela Cuéllar
pooled ink Reviews:

They had me at “Jane Austen meets dragons” haha. The moment I read that I knew I had to read it for myself. And now that I have I must say that this really was a fun delightful read! Equal parts historical romance and fantasy adventure with plenty of humor woven throughout. I thought that the blending of mischievous magic into this English era of reserved propriety worked quite well and lent itself to establishing a tale with wit and charm.

Read my full review/visit my blog
Tricia Mingerink
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful little book. I was never a big fan of Jane Austen, but I have found I ADORE fantasy books that mix Regency/Edwardian with magic. I don't know what it is about that time period that makes it so perfect for writing a mash up of fantasy and history, but it just works so well.

This book is less big on the Regency setting than some I've read, probably because it is such a short book. The setting adds more of a flavor to the book, and it works really well.

The characters were all
C.O. Bonham
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Curse and Consequence by Savannah Jezowski is a magical fantasy with regency flare.
The Whitby twins are as different as night and day. Hugh is a wild play boy who never grew up. Sedgwick is responsible, and willing to do anything to prevent his brother from having a chance with the woman he loves.
I loved the interplay between the two brothers. It was over the top hilarious but also not unheard of for siblings.
The best part though was the little dragon Rea. She was cute and adorable but full of
Karen (BaronessBookTrove)
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy from the Unicorn Quester. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. Best to be mindful of what you wish for.
Curse and Consequence by Savannah Jezowksi is a cheerful story that has a moral tale in it. Everyone has heard the saying about choices and consequences, and this story takes that on a lot. The main male character made a choice, and now he has to deal with the result of that choice. Well unless he can fix it.
Sed
H.S.J. Williams
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness, I could not stop laughing. This charming story is Jane Austen meets magic and faeries. The writing style and setting is perfectly Regency era, only with pixies and dragons running about, and I love that! This short story has comedic disaster at every turn, and I’m glad there’s another book coming out because I wasn’t ready for the adventure to be over!
M.H. Elrich
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I discovered this book recently because Savannah Jezowski, the author, is both a cover designer and author. I really admire her cover designs and I absolutely loved the premise of her book. I mean, who doesn’t love a book about magic and romance, all set in a Victorian England type of setting? Well, the book that promises to be a combination of Jane Austen and Dianna Wynne Jones didn’t disappoint.

Plot
This is a novella whose action is very fast paced. The basic premise of the novel is that Mr. Se
Jessica Belmont
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Curse and Conseqence is charming, witty, funny, magical…let me just stop there because I could go on and on with praising this novel.

This is a Regency Fantasy, and I love that about it. The setting, culture, clothing all feel realistic and the descriptions are beautiful. I don’t think this story would have worked as well if it hadn’t been written in this period. It added to the wit and humor of the characters and it really helped me connect to the story.

Savannah Jezowsk has a knack for making me
Kara
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it
The first words that came to mind once I'd finished this story were cute and entertaining. Plus a bit of silliness, which came from the brothers of the story. Sedgwick and Hugh could both use a bit of growth seeing as how they are constantly frustrating each other and acting like children. And then Sedgwick decides a curse is a good idea. Never a good idea! The consequences bring lots of shenanigans.

But the cuteness? That comes courtesy of watching Rea and Sedgwick figure out their hearts. These
Jenelle
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I HAVEN'T THE FOGGIEST CLUE HOW TO PROCESS MY FEELINGS RIGHT NOW.
Rachel
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Curse and Consequence is set in the Regency era (think Jane Austen's books), but it's filled with magic. Two brothers, Hugh and Sedgwick Whitby, both fancy the same girl, Rea Abernathy. Rea is their mother's ward, and she spends most of her time tending the animals on their family's estate. Because she loves them, not because she needs to, you understand. Well, one brother decides he just has to have her for himself, so he pays a faery to put some kind of mild blight on his brother... or so he t ...more
Yakira Goldsberry
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Curse and Consequence was a fun romp that had me laughing till the end! The Edwardian feel and style of the story put me in mind of Jane Austen—if Jane Austen had written about magic and fairies and dragons. It was very well written for a novella, and I applaud anyone who can pull of such a short story and make it work.
Heather Barbour
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story and its not finished yet, there is more to come in 2020! This story takes you on a adventure. Makes us realize that consequences can harm those we never meant to harm, so be careful with your actions and your words.
Naomi
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! In fact, I wish it was longer, but that’s how series go. 😂 The characters were relatable and lovable, and the storyline instantly grabbed my attention. Already looking forward to #2! The writing style is very versatile. I think any of all ages would enjoy it as I have!
Janeen Ippolito
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A delightful book snack with a charming voice, winsome characters, and a rousing trio dynamic between the main characters.
Jamie Jack
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
And now for something completely different! I am a huge fan of Jane Austen fanfiction, and while this is not a direct spinoff from any Jane Austen novel, there are hints and flavors in this book that call up the writings of Miss Austen. How to describe this book? Part of it tries so hard at humor, succeeding mostly, that it feels like romantic Regency farce meets magical, fantasy world. This mash-up of worlds can be endearing and funny, but at times, the farce gets to be too much and starts to b ...more
Heather
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
I received a free copy of this book from Hidden Gems in exchange for an honest review.

What a cute story! Part fairy tale, part classic, I really enjoyed reading it. The characters were well written and developed, even though it was a short story. The dialogue was witty and flowed well (that’s huge for me). I am definitely looking forward to part 2.
Katherine Brown
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun and entertaining read! It did not evoke the Pride & Prejudice vibes that I expected but I still found the dilemmas faced by the characters to be humorous and unexpected. Good lesson on being careful what you wish for. ...more
Elizabeth
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ku
This was a Kindle unlimited recommendation. In an effort to marry the girl he loves and wrestle the title away from his twin, Sedgwick talks a fairy into a curse. Hugh, the older twin in question, has a wild and impetuous nature which in Sedwick's mind makes him unsuitable to be the next Earl. Rea, the girl Segwick loves, realizes the fairy is going to curse Hugh and tries to step in. Predictably, disaster ensues. This had some rather funny moments, and the ending is a cliff hanger.
Laurie Lucking
May 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Whenever I hear a book described as Jane Austen with fantasy - count me in! I loved the witty writing style, and the magic system made for an intriguing, unpredictable fantasy world. The characters were enjoyable, but they had so much humor imbued in their personalities that they felt a bit like caricatures, which made me a bit less invested in their plight. But overall this was a quick, fun read!
Lia
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming premise and plot. Well-written. It's a fun mix of genres, with faeries and a dragon in a regency estate. I was all set to give it quite a high review, and then.... it ended with a cliff-hanger. I know that's a personal taste thing, but generally speaking, I don't like them. If that doesn't bother, grab the book (and it's sequel) and go on ahead.

4 for the story itself, minus a star for the cliff-hanger.
Reena
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One woman, two suitors, a faery curse, a pig and a dragon... Do the math and what do you get? A hillarious regency/fantasy story, that will have you laughing you heart out! If you like your regency romances with a touch of magic and a load of humor, then this book is right up your alley! I can't wait to read what happens next!
Tamara
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Every time he loses his temper the blue smoke does something!

This is an interesting short book. Good for any age and under 100 pages. This book has fae and dragons and magic.

What do you get when one twin is competing with the other for the girl? Jealousy and a curse! A must read to find out what the curse does and the trials to break it.
Kylie
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hidden-gems
So adorable! This short story/novella was hysterical and kept me laughing. The brothers could not be more different and yet so entertaining.

I received an ARC from Hidden Gems for an honest review.
CS Taylor
Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Overall, I will give Curse and Consequence a 3.5. It was a delightful story with a humorous voice and enjoyable characters. Despite the character arcs that I hope will further develop in the coming parts of the series, I truly enjoyed this story and its plethora of laughable tussles. It was lighthearted and lovely, something that made for a wonderful rainy afternoon read. I would highly recommend it for anyone who adores Jane Austen, Diana Wynne Jones, or Lloyd Alexander’s styles of writing.

To r
This was fun, but not quite my cup of tea. There's nothing actually wrong with it, other than the fact that it moves faster than I'd like; I just didn't jive with it.
Leah
Jul 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free ARC of this novel via Hidden Gems in exchange for an honest review. My opinion is my own.

If you are looking for a clean fantasy/historical romance this would be right up your alley. It is very tame with no hankey pankey at all. The storyline isn't too bad except it ends in a major cliffhanger. The characters are cute and kind of simplistic. Not my cup of tea but not bad overall
Kim  Gregory
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Way too short. I was just getting into it and it stopped!

Two brothers who just don't get along, a blue faery just itching for trouble, and a beautiful woman - well that all adds up to one confusing curse! But even when they think they have the curse broken - well, think again!

this is a clean read.

• Prince of Stars, Son of Fate
  • Dear Author: Letters from a Bookish Fangirl
  • Daughter of Sun, Bride of Ice (Ice and Fate, #1)
  • Deadwood (Crockett and Crane, #2)
  • Wish You Weren't Here (The Steel City Genie #2)
  • Fierce Heart (Elven Alliance #1)
  • Cloudy With a Chance of Dropbears (The City Between, #5.5)
  • Cry of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #3)
  • Ghostlight (The Reflected City #1)
  • Recompense (Recompense, #1)
  • Between Homes (The City Between, #5)
  • Between Frames (The City Between, #4)
  • All the Different Shades of Blue (The City Between, #6.5)
  • Between Walls (The City Between #6)
  • Between Floors (The City Between, #3)
  • Sand and Storm
  • Heart of the Curiosity
  • If Wishes Were Curses (The Steel City Genie #1)
Savannah lives in a drafty farmhouse in Amish country with her Knight in Shining Armor, who is no less shiny after eight years of matrimony, and a loyal brigade of kitties, who may or may not sleep on the job. Her work has been published in Ray Gun Revival, Mindflights and in the student publication of Fountains at PCC. She is also an author in the Five Enchanted Roses collection. She likes books, ...more