Start by marking “Warrior of the Altaii” as Want to Read:
Warrior of the Altaii

Warrior of the Altaii

Epic fantasy legend, and author of #1 New York Times bestselling series The Wheel of Time, Robert Jordan's never-before published novel, Warrior of the Altaii:

Draw near and listen, or else time is at an end.

The watering holes of the Plain are drying up, the fearsome fanghorn grow more numerous, and bad omens abound. Wulfgar, a leader of the Altaii people, must contend with
Audio CD, 10 pages
Published October 8th 2019 by MacMillan Audio

To ask other readers questions about Warrior of the Altaii, please sign up.
Sam Reynolds From what I have gathered it is a standalone book but the ideas behind it and much of the world it takes place in were taken and expanded on and…moreFrom what I have gathered it is a standalone book but the ideas behind it and much of the world it takes place in were taken and expanded on and became the Wheel of Time.(less)

Start your review of Warrior of the Altaii
Nils | nilsreviewsit
‘Our drums began to play again, a battle beat, and the war flutes joined in. The masses of horsemen began to move, rolling forward in a tide that gained speed with every step. Their war cries drifted ahead of them, shrill in the cold air.
I nocked an arrow and drew it back to rest on my cheekbone, the bow held high. Salvation rests on the bow.’
~
I’m a huge fan of The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan; it was a series I read some years ago that left such an impact on me, that I consider it to
Claudia
Good thing this wasn’t published and I didn’t read it before Wheel of Time , because I don’t think I'd have tried another one by RJ and I would have missed my favorite fantasy series of all times.

What can I can say about it? It's an action-packed story, with too much dialogue and almost non-existent worldbuilding or character growth. It feels rushed from start to end, with no details to enrich the world.

Still, one familiar with WoT universe can see where the inspiration of the Aiel and Aed
Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods*
Oct 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Robert Jordan, residents of Third Earth
Shelves: fantasy
Wow, can you believe what Panthro did to Snarf?

(please forgive the unfunny riff on the cover art)

Warrior of the Altaii was written over 40 years ago, and over a dozen years before Robert Jordan's magnum opus The Wheel of Time series saw the light of day. It is published now because...??? Possibly the resurgence of popularity due to the Wheel of Time's upcoming TV series played a role. Regardless, Jordan's books have never really fallen out of the limelight, so why not grant fans a look at his
Eric Allen
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is pretty amazingly written for an author’s first attempt at a novel. The characters are a bit bland, but the world building is pretty good, and the story is entertaining. The beginning is a bit confused, with a lot of things happening, and not much explanation of them, but it pretty soon finds its stride. You can see a lot of ideas in this that eventually blossomed in the Wheel of Time. All in all, it wasn’t great, but it was still an entertaining book. It’s also probably the shortest ...more
Sotiris Karaiskos
A book that the author wrote more than 40 years ago, was never released, but in a strange way with this he was able to get into the field of fantasy and the rest are well known. A few days ago it was released after so many years and expectingly attracted the attention of his fans who are naturally interested in his first steps. On the other hand, of course, it also poses problems for us, since the objective approach is obviously impossible.

Reading it I found it to be quite good as it contains
Roy
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Much more Conan than WoT. Simple barbarain story with an element of magic ( only females probably the only thing that roughly follows Wot). Short read about 340-50 pages which is much shorter than his future efforts. Just didnt have the scope. Much better fantasy out there. Will probably only appeal to Jordan fans.
Christian
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a well-written self-contained novel with some Wheel of Time glimpses sown in.

You could tell the beginnings of some WoT ideas in this novel, which was fun to be able to discover after having finished the WoT series fairly recently.

I was surprised at how well written and how long Jordan wrote some battle scenes. It was really fun to read it from him, as WoT fans know of a famous battle or two. In my mind, the build-up of those battles were great with the actual time spent on it
Samuel Gagnon
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FFO : Conan - 70/80s Fantasy
There's something *cool/weird/incomparable/nostalgic* about reading Robert Jordan's first work.
A must for all the RJ/WOT fans out there.
H. P.
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: modern-sf
Decades ago James Oliver Rigney Jr. wrote a book. That book allowed him to break into the publishing industry. He sold it several times. It established his working relationship with Harriet McDougal, who would become his wife. It led to his first published book, The Fallon’s Blood (as Reagan O’Neal). It led to a gig writing (eventually seven) Conan pastiches for Tor, this time as Robert Jordan, the pseudonym he would make famous. It also heavily foreshadows themes and elements from The Wheel of ...more
Blodeuedd Finland
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, audiobook
My phone never messes up, but this time, sigh, this audio listen was a mess.

See it started with a torture scene, and I thought, well this is strange, but ok it was Jordan's first book. maybe he meant to throw us in in the middle of things. Throughout I did feel that I had missed something, but it worked.

Then there came a foreword, and chapter 1 forward. And I realised that something had gone horrible wrong. And now I did not do it all over, I already had gotten my impressions. To actually do it
Calvinist Batman
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was Robert Jordan's first manuscript. It is better than 90% of the books out there. I had a lot of fun with this one.

However, if you don't like barbarian-fantasy (and all that entails), you will not like this book.

SUMMARY

After thinking for a bit, I've decided this book is a more Conan-version of Jordan's The Shadow Rising and Brandon Sanderson's The Bands of Mourning. It's a more barbarian tale than the Wheel of Time (WOT) was, and it's far more mysterious.

The book is a standalone novel,
Greg
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, but nah. Its written by Mr Jordan. It was the first book he ever wrote. So its significant for that fact alone. Its also outstanding quality for that fact alone. But by todays fantasy standards, by todays YA standards, its an average read. I see the name "Robert Jordan" and i think epic. This book isnt epic. Its more like one chapter of an epic. One battle of an epic. The fighting and combat is well written, in fact, its the book's highlight. About the only one, though.

The Altaii are
FTLOReading
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 but Im being a bit biased and giving it a solid 5, mostly for enjoyment, partially because of nostalgia and a great love for Jordan and the Wheel of Time Series.

Does it really deserve that high of a rating.

Yes! The Warriors of Altaii is one of the first manuscripts that Jordan presented and we are just now getting a rare treat in reading it posthumously. When I first heard of it back in the spring of this year I was quite excited. I've been a long time fan of the series. Im ashamed that
Josh
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having a new Robert Jordan book come out in 2019 was a special treat, especially as it was one of the first novels he had ever written. This is a fascinating look into his early writing style, and to see the seeds of what would eventually become his great epic fantasy (and my personal favorite series), The Wheel of Time.

To me, however, this novel has a lot more in common with RJ’s Conan novels than the WoT. There are huge similarities between this and the Conan series. Even the main character is
Hasham Rasool
I am really enjoyed reading this book.
Rui Mateus
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WARNING: VERY MINOR SPOILER AHEAD

Starting this book felt very emotional because this is one of those gifts you don't get every day. This is the first book Robert Jordan wrote and it was published only now.

Everyone was saying how this has so much foreshadowing for The Wheel of Time and I couldn't wait. Well, it's true. There are so many things here that were developed in detail in The Wheel of Time that I think this world could be a different turning of the Wheel or simply one of those worlds
Dustin Cubit
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Legendary author, and one of my personal favorites, Robert Jordan posthumously releases the first novel he's ever written.

Warrior of the Altaii's short chapters and length make it an enjoyable and faced-paced read. I'm not at all familiar with barbarian fantasy from the 70's but this has piqued my interest, and I plan on checking out some of Jordan's Conan the Barbarian stories.

There are plenty of elements in the book that point to some of the ideas he had cooking in his head for his magnum
Jamie
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun to see a book 40 years old finally get published for the first time especially from a writer like Robert Jordan. The world building is great and I really enjoyed Wulfgar as a character. Typical in Conan style barbarian books there is nudity and sex but thankfully it’s more toned down than other books of this style. Fun barbarian sword and sorcery book. Recommend if your are a Robert Jordan fan or if you like Conan. Thanks for finally publishing this!

Also the maps are beautiful!
Tim
Warning - some spoilers ahead

It is so odd reading a new novel from an author that passed away 12 years ago now, even stranger yet that it was first written nearly 40 years ago now and just now getting published.

I can understand how authors sometimes have practice stories they write that never plan to have released but Robert Jordan's widow seen to getting the book released. And in some ways it is easy to see the budding of ideas that eventually blossomed into the Wheel of Time some 11 years
Craig Wakefield
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There were 15 books in the Wheel of Time fantasy epic by Jordan. True some of them were either co-authored or written by Brandson Sanderson. This was a great epic but at times towards the end seemed to lag under the burden of just too many pages.

The Warrior of the Altaii speaks of Wulfgar, indeed a true warrior of the Altaii. I am glad for the excellent beginning to a writing career by Jordan, but sad that the story was not continued of what occurs with the Altaii and Wulfgar. People and
Breanna Spiegel
I work in a bookstore, so the day this book came out I was running around in the dark, before the store even opened, trying to find a copy of Warrior of the Altaii. It was totally worth it! Quick-moving, action-packed, and inventive, this book was everything I wanted it to be.

Posthumously published, Robert Jordan wrote Warrior of the Altaii before The Wheel of Time, as a standalone high fantasy. It was written in the days of sword and sorcery novels, which is very evident in the style and
Kyle
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Went into this book expecting to hate it. I mean, Jordan *is* the author of the Wheel of Time, after all. Then I remembered Conan, which also authored by Jordan. When I found out that this was written decades before WoT, I thought I’d give it a go. So I put myself on the library wait-list for the audio book. And loved it. It’s VERY reminiscent of the pulp fantasy that made Edgar Rice Burroughs famous a hundred years ago with John Carter and Tarzan, while also being distinctly unique enough to be ...more
Khai Jian (KJ)
Nov 23, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm a huge fan of the Wheel of Time (WOT) series. It is very epic and impactful despite its flaws. When the Warrior of the Altaii was published, I just need to get my hands on this and start reading it right away.

This novel was written around 40 years ago and to be honest, it is not the greatest work of Robert Jordan. There's not much world building or characterization. Further, while the story is action packed, the plot seems to be rather rushed. There are lots of loose ends in the plot which
Matías Racedo
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome! So much better than what I expected. This was nothing like the first WoT books (my mistake, I thought it would be similar). This was an adult epic fantasy, almost grimdark, a lot happen in this few pages, plenty of battles too! The magic wasn't explained as much as I would have wanted, and there's a lot of the world to explore, something that sadly won't ever happen now. But it was really fantastic. I'll post a proper review next week.
Valentine
Nov 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Had high expectations for this book. Still thought it was a good though.
Michael Otto
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was great sample beginning!
Allison
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kevin Potter
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The first thing to understand is this is the first book Robert Jordan ever sold. As such, it is much more raw and less refined than the writing in The Wheel of Time.

For me, this is a positive rather than a negative. Although I very much enjoy the Wheel of Time, for me the writing is overly flowery. I prefer a simpler prose style.

Although there are clearly some elements of this story and world that harken to WoT, this has much more in common with Jordan's Conan novels.

About the audiobook
Unseen Library
For this week’s Waiting on Wednesday entry, I am going to look at a very special book that is coming out in a few months, Warrior of the Altaii, a previously unpublished piece of fantasy fiction by the late, great Robert Jordan.

Robert Jordan has to be considered one the greatest fantasy authors of all time, due to his creation of the legendary high fantasy series, The Wheel of Time. The Wheel of Time was a massive fantasy series, made up of 15 books (14 main novels and a prequel), which followed
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• White Sand, Volume 3 (White Sand, #3)
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer #5)
  • Wasteland (Children of D'Hara, #3)
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • The Black Hawks (Articles of Faith, #1)
  • The Bone Ships (The Tide Child, #1)
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • The Name of All Things (A Chorus of Dragons, #2)
  • A Pilgrimage of Swords
  • God of Broken Things
  • The True Bastards (The Lot Lands, #2)
  • White Sand, Volume 2 (White Sand, #2)
  • Dragonslayer
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Dispel Illusion (Impossible Times, #3)
  • 食戟のソーマ 32 [Shokugeki no Souma 32] (Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma, #32)
  • The Andromeda Evolution (Andromeda #2)
  • Steel Crow Saga

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to
“Also, I was beginning to tire of waiting for the lightning. If it was going to strike, let it strike.” 0 likes