Start by marking “Inventing Bitcoin: The Technology Behind The First Truly Scarce and Decentralized Money Explained” as Want to Read:

Most people, upon first hearing about Bitcoin, don’t really understand it. Is it magical Internet money? Where does it come from? Who controls it? Why is it important? For me, understanding all the things that come together to make Bitcoin work - the physics, math, cryptography, game theory, economics, and computer science - was a profound moment. In this book, I hope to s ...more
Published January 17th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Inventing Bitcoin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inventing Bitcoin

Start your review of Inventing Bitcoin: The Technology Behind The First Truly Scarce and Decentralized Money Explained
Ciro
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good primer for understanding the history of Bitcoin, what it ACTUALLY is, and where it's going. All under 100 pages. Those who wait too long to invest are probably going to be pretty upset with themselves. ...more
Jonathan Lobatto
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent mid-level introduction to bitcoin that manages to strike a great balance between brevity yet including enough information and analysis to give the reader a very firm foundation on the various components of bitcoin and POW that make it so revolutionary and anti-fragile.
Jon
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019, crypto
Incredibly well-written and a short read, this is the best explanation of Bitcoin I have yet come across. I came out with a much clearer understanding of mining, hashrates, and other weird terms that have had me scratching my head. Well worth the time!
Jakub
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've read a lot of crypto literature. This is the best, most concise explanation of Bitcoin basics I've come across. ...more
Vinoth Kumar Kannan
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
A quick read on the technology/protocol behind bitcoin. The author starts from a real world P2P transfer and tries to reason a way out to invent something like bitcoin - or indirectly helping us understand how bitcoin did it (decentralized anarchy!).

I felt some information missing/skipped in between though - just some parts where the author jumped concepts (skipping explaining an intermediate concept which is used in describing another concept) and other than that I'd say this book fulfilled its
DC Ork
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With "Inventing Bitcoin" author Yan Pritzker set out on a clear mission: to explain the underlying technology of Bitcoin. Honing in specifically on the Bitcoin and not crypto or distributed ledgers more generally, Pritzker goes step by step through the what makes Bitcoin work explaining concepts like Proof of Work and mining in language that anyone can understand. The tone is encouraging and inviting, like a high school teacher who's genuinely passionate about educating his students.

In this boo
Jump&Yvy
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great non technical overview on how Bitcoin works.

Great non technical overview on how Bitcoin works.
The right amount of rigorous details will drive you through the disruption of the financial world as we know it.
A must read for everyone really looking into understanding Bitcoin!
Michael
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Solid intro book that explains the basics (especially mining and incentives) at a high level. No economics, no HUGE emphasis on why bitcoin is so important (although it talks some), and far less technical than Mastering Bitcoin.

Can be read in 1-2 hours so definitely think it’s worth the time for most.
K
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Breaking it down for the common folk

This book does a great job of taking a very large and complicated topic and splitting it into smaller, eat to digest bits. Brings understanding Bitcoin to anyone with a little time to kill.
Sharad Todi
Dec 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great quick intro to Bitcoin

Lucid writing, concepts made simple to understand, short and sweet! Completed it pretty quickly and feel more knowledgeable about the subject
Nothing to nitpick about
👍👍
Slava Baranskyi
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Trip through Satoshi’s head

The book is well built for such noons as me. You start with a problems. One by another. And move with the Author solving them, like Nakamoto hopefully did. Great book. Swallowed in it one session. Thanks, Yan. And all great wishes from Ukraine 🙏
Saurav
Jan 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
If you are looking for a short, non-technical but effective explanation of Satoshi Nakamoto's paper, this is it. Important read. In decades to come, we could see the impact of Bitcoin. ...more
Gabrielle Taylor
Nov 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent.
Barry Butler
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good Overview

Good overview of Bitcoin, but a little short on other details. I wish it would have gone into more on wallets, transactions, etc.
Riki Roash
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I gained a lot of knowledge from this book. It was written very well and clearly, and there are easy to understand diagrams. I feel like this has helped me get a good grip on the subject.
Jagadeesh
Oct 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Answers some fundamental and logical questions in a easy to understand way.
David
Sep 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I will buy this $10 100-page book for anyone I know that wants to read it.
Jakub Mihalciak
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Alex Halloran
Dec 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very approachable and quick read that breaks the concepts down into familiar, laymans terms. This is a great read on how Bitcoin works, especially for non-technical people.
Amoga Krishnan
Nov 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good book. Explains the technical parts of bitcoin in simple language. Don't wish the author did things any different, but would have liked to see a more detailed explanation of Alt Coins in general. ...more
Arun Philips
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good, brief introduction to the technicals behind bitcoin. Relevant read in 2019.
Yan Pritzker
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
The best from-scratch introduction to Bitcoin.
Gerbz
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Awesome way to explain HOW Bitcoin works to non technical people, as oppose why it matters. For that, The Bitcoin Standard.
Stephen Perrenod
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good intro for Bitcoin novices. The Bitcoin Standard remains the must read book, this might be good preparation for that.
Anirudh Somani
Mike Calandrillo
Apr 13, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Bitcoin Standard: The Decentralized Alternative to Central Banking
  • The Little Bitcoin Book: Why Bitcoin Matters for Your Freedom, Finances, and Future
  • The Price of Tomorrow: Why Deflation is the Key to an Abundant Future
  • The Internet of Money
  • Bitcoin Billionaires: A True Story of Genius, Betrayal, and Redemption
  • Bitcoin: Sovereignty through mathematics
  • This Book Will Save You Time
  • Digital Gold: Bitcoin and the Inside Story of the Misfits and Millionaires Trying to Reinvent Money
  • The Internet of Money Volume Two
  • The Almanack of Naval Ravikant: A Guide to Wealth and Happiness
  • Bitcoin: Independence reimagined
  • 21 Lessons: What I've Learned from Falling Down the Bitcoin Rabbit Hole
  • Anatomy of the State
  • The Sovereign Individual: Mastering the Transition to the Information Age
  • The Internet of Money Volume Three: A Collection of Talks by Andreas M. Antonopoulos
  • Quantum Man: Richard Feynman's Life in Science