Start by marking “Age of Legend (The Legends of the First Empire, #4)” as Want to Read:
Age of Legend (The Legends of the First Empire, #4)

Age of Legend

(The Legends of the First Empire #4)

Each culture has its own myths and legends, but only one is shared, and it is feared by all.
With Age of Myth, Age of Swords, and Age of War, fantasy master Michael J. Sullivan riveted readers with a tale of unlikely heroes locked in a desperate battle to save mankind. After years of warfare, humanity has gained the upper hand and has pushed the Fhrey to the edge of their
Published July 9th 2019 by Riyria Enterprises, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Age of Legend, please sign up.
Michael We are shooting for April 2019 (which will be 9 months after Age of War). Our hope is to release all three remaining books in a year and a half so the…moreWe are shooting for April 2019 (which will be 9 months after Age of War). Our hope is to release all three remaining books in a year and a half so the current release schedule is:

Age of Legend: April 2019
Age of Death: October 2019
Age of Empyre: April 2020

I'm also glad you gave it a chance. Thanks for the kind words!

To make that schedule I need to do the final tweaks, beta reading, and all the editing in short order. But I think it is doable. In many ways the series is two 3-book closely related arcs. So I'd rather have a little more time between War and Legend and shorter times between Legend, Death, and Empyre.(less)
Michael It depends. And the answer is kinda long, but here goes. So, originally Del Rey bought the first half of the series, and they tend to like to release …moreIt depends. And the answer is kinda long, but here goes. So, originally Del Rey bought the first half of the series, and they tend to like to release the books one a year. When it came time to negotiate for the second half of the series, we ran into a road block. You see, Penguin Random House (the parent company of Del Rey) had change in policy regarding "required rights." Previously they would "like to have" audio rights, but if they couldn't get them they would still write a contract. But with the new policy they absolutely will not buy a book where the audio rights are not available. Since I had previously sold the audio rights for all six books, that meant that the last three books were essentially locked out.

Once this was discovered, I started looking for publishers who don't require audio rights (which pretty much took out all of the big-five), and I negotiated a deal with Kensington Publishing (the largest non big-five publisher). While we have a "deal memo" for them to publish the books, we still don't have anything signed. I would have liked for them to put out the books on a six month schedule, they wanted to follow what Del Rey was doing (1 a year). I finally got a compromise from them where their first book (book #4) would be 1 year from book #3 but then the last two would come out more quickly.

So if the deal does get signed the release dates for the books will be:

Age of Legend (Book #4) - July 2019
Age of Death (Book #5) - March 2020
Age of Empire (Book #6) - October 2020

But, if we can't get this thing signed and put to bed, I'll go back to my original desired release dates which is every 6 months. So that would mean.

Age of Legend (Book #4) - Dec 2018
Age of Death (Book #5) - July 2019
Age of Empire (Book #6) - Dec 2019(less)

Start your review of Age of Legend (The Legends of the First Empire, #4)
Michael
Jul 26, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
As people may know, I don't write reviews of my own books, but I do use this space to update people on happenings about the books I write...so here I am!

Update August 30, 2020: We have officially sold out the hardcover print run (only 33 left in the warehouse at the present time. There are still some copies with various retailers (Amazon, B&N, Books-a-Million, etc) but we did do a second printing. Those copies will ONLY be available directly from us (and all copies will be signed). Once they are
TS Chan
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
9th July: Book drops today!!

A brilliant sequel which fulfilled my eager anticipation and high expectations, Age of Legend takes the First Empire series to the next level of greatness with the promise of a showstopper by its finale.

Age of Legend is structurally different from the continuous narrative in the preceding three volumes. This book has three sections; the first part is the shortest which deals with the immediate aftermath of the battle at Alon Rhist. The second section takes place one y
Bradley
Jun 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-shelf, fantasy
The good:

If you have been enjoying the Legends of the First Empire so far, you're probably going to enjoy this and the newish direction it takes. In a very positive way, it is more of the same with many of the same characters, dealing with the aftermath of the big blow-out of the previous book and learning how to move forward. Brin gets a lot of page-time and I, for the most part, enjoyed these parts more than the rest. Writing about writing is fun.

The bad, or rather, the indifferent:

I just coul
Terence
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The war rages on until it reaches a stalemate. Persephone tries to forge a peace only to see her ambassador betrayed and taken captive. An unlikely group seeks a legend in order to save their friend.

Age of Legend is an enjoyable book, but I just don't see how they could end it where they did. Worst of all it caught me completely off guard because I was only 86% of the way through the book according to my Kindle. I can't believe I have to wait another year at minimum to learn what happens next. T
Choko
Jul 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
*** 4.44 ***

"...“Pain, fear, drudgery, boredom, lots of boredom—these are the things that build character. And you need to experience loss and remorse because falling down gives you the opportunity to rise once more. Overcoming challenges turns a self-centered infant into a caring adult. Empathy—the ability to understand and appreciate the feelings of others—is the cornerstone of civilization and the foundation of our relationships. Lack of it . . . well, lack of empathy is as close to a defini
Robin (Bridge Four)
RELEASE DAY!!!

description

This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart
Everything is so obvious when you look back. It is the first time through the garden-of-fear-and-doubt that messes with your head.
— The Book of Brin

Michael J. Sullivan (MJS) is one of my favorite epic fantasy writers.  He is dependable, great at tying threads together and always gives his reader something a little unexpected.  Age of Legend is the fourth book in the the Legends of the First Empire series. This is
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, fantasy
3.5 stars. A bleak story of ongoing war and betrayal, brightened by love, loyalty and redemption arcs. It’s got middle-book syndrome (it tells only part of a story and relies heavily on what came before and what will come after) and a killer of a cliffhanger ending. Luckily the next book comes out soon!

Full review to come.
Claudia
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
My first time to the author’s Kickstarter project and I must say I’ll be a regular one from now on because I got to read this book three months before its official publication. Yey!

Sullivan’s books are like a cozy nook for me: comfortable, relaxing and mood improving, with extra bonuses such as joy, laugh and a great feeling overall.

This fourth installment makes no exception; I missed this universe and I’m thrilled two more books are following.

Unlike the previous volumes, this one ends with a cl
Maja Ingrid
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-faves, fantasy
4,5 stars

I. NEED. AGE. OF. DEATH. NOW!

- - -

No spoilers, just short rant, because that's what I do best.

Okay, so it's been some hours since i finished the book and I've been trying to, and failing, to gather my thoughts. It was a solid 4 through most of it, but the ending had me in pieces so bumped it up 0,5 stars and rounded up to a 5. It will likely remain at 5 because I'm still all over the place about it. It's not my favourite of the books, on the third place actually but it still deserves t
Scott  Hitchcock
Book 1: 5*
Book 2: 3.5*
Book 3: 4.5*
Book 4: 3*

I'm being kind with my 3*'s. I thought about giving it 2.5. The good news is this sets us up for an epic book 5. The bad news is much like book 2 nothing really happens. This series could have been better had it been a trilogy where book 2 was condensed into a long prologue for book 3 and ditto with this book for book 5.

MJS does his usual good job with the characters but we've known them for a long time now so it becomes a bit tedious. He also metapho
Tim
OK I am definitely weak, yes I was a Kickstarter backer and I thought I could wait for the actual physical release of Age of Legend. But I guess not as I just went through the book this weekend. I mean what else was I going to do after a blizzard rolled through and dumped nearly 2 feet of snow and stranding us in...

********* WARNING THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS OF THE PRIOR BOOKS AHEAD ***********

[and I will try to keep other spoilers to a minimum since well this is still nearly 3 months prior to of
Micperk
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it

I've loved the series leading up to this book. It took me a while to purchase it because I've been avoiding the more traditional fantasy books (elves,dwarves, etc). Once I started this series I realized how massive of a mistake that was, this series has delivered moments that have completely crushed me and moments of triumph. I wanted to say this to kind of give insight to the series as a whole so far, instead of just this one book.

THIS BOOK THOUGH. Might be the biggest filler book I've
Andreas
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Right. So, the Riyria books were pretty light-hearted and fun. But this series has been a constant kick between the legs. Or at least Age of War and Age of Legend have been. And of course it's topped of with a massive cliffhanger that I'll have to wait months for to be resolved. Thanks. Really, thanks a lot.

4.5/5 stars
Krista Hansen
As other reviewers have mentioned, nothing really happens in this installment. Just as the plot finally starts moving, it just abruptly ends. It is not a complete story with a beginning, middle, and end. It felt like an overlong prologue to the next book. It shouldn’t have been sold as a separate novel. As far as the story goes, characters make some frustrating decisions just to further the plot. I don’t really care about many of the characters at this point. This series is disappointing me more ...more
Liam Degnan
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been thoroughly enjoying the series as a whole, and HIGHLY recommend picking it up.

This book did feel a bit slow to me though. I am glad Michael Sullivan does not rush the reader from one revelation to another, and the slow burn of this book was entirely worth the time I put into it, but I can't help but feel like there was not much advancement in the plot.

Only reason I gave it four instead of five. Thoroughly enjoyed it, ad I enjoy all of Sullivan's books.
Donna
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Arrgh!! I'm torn between 3 and 4 stars on this one. First, I love MICHAEL J. SULLIVAN!! Really. LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. Most everything I have read by him has been 5 stars or dang close to that. So I am a little tortured here because I didn't love this. That kills me a little on the inside.

This still had the same great characters, who were probably as tortured as I feel writing this. They were the characters I've come to love, and the relationships were developed. The wit/humor was there. However, th
Sotiris Karaiskos
The book that marks the middle of our history. After the staggering third part that offers a lot of excitement to the reader, the fourth part is rather subdued, more like an introduction to the last two books than something autonomous. Not much is happening as the great conflict we are witnessing has evolved into a war of attrition dominated by many minor skirmishes, as long as our heroes' relationships remain stable following this stagnation.

Of course, this does not mean that there is no intere
Marielle
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-own
Another fantastic installment! Super cliffhanger at the end, not a big fan of those... looking forward to the next one!!
Ron
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, maps, fantasy
“Suri sat alone with a sword across her lap, staring at what most would call a dragon, but which the onetime mystic of Dahl Rhen saw as a fragment of her broken heart.”

The opening of a monumental work. As Sullivan explains in his Author’s Note, this book opens a trilogy similar to the three volumes of Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings. The comparison is both apt and misleading. Apt because the struggle described is both intimate and cosmic, and misleading because Elan is a very different world th
Rob
Executive Summary: This series seems to alternate between great books and just good ones. This was a good one. I felt like too much time was spent setting things up and just as it was set, it ended. 3.5 stars.

Audiobook: Tim Gerard Reynolds does his usual fantastic job. I've enjoyed every book he's narrated, and none more than those written by Mr. Sullivan. The narration helped me through some of the slower parts at the start of this book.

Full Review
So far I've rated both Age of Myth and Age
Calley Odum
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edit: I helped to fund the Kickstarter, so I have access to the ebook format. Told myself I would wait for the print. Didn’t happen.

Obsessed?

Me?

Never.

But yes, I finished this book in less than 24 hours, so maybe.

This 4th installment is VERY different from the previous books in the series, both in content and style.

First, There are a few year/multi year time jumps, which is... hmmm. It’s necessary, I think, given the time period and methods of warfare, to show how much of a slog war can be. Bu
Steven Naylor
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Rating 3.5 stars

I loved the Riyria series and added it to my favorite list. The first two books in this prequel series were pretty good. It was interesting to see where the legends and myths started. The third book in this series wasn't as good, mainly because I started to not like any of the characters. This book continued that trend. Nyphron is an ass. I don't like anything about him. I used to like Persephone but after she treated Raithe the way she did in the last book at the end, I was ove
Tammie
After years of warfare, humanity has gained the upper hand and has pushed the Fhrey to the edge of their homeland, but no farther. Now comes the pivotal moment. Persephone’s plan to use the stalemate to seek peace is destroyed by an unexpected betrayal that threatens to hand victory to the Fhrey and leaves a dear friend in peril. Her only hope lies in the legend of a witch, a forgotten song, and a simple garden door.

I'm very late posting this review. I read this back in July but with vacationi
Patrick Elsey
Jul 02, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Someone really wants that sweet royalty money by stretching his series out.
Zoe Artemis Spencer Reid
"What a strange treasure is innocence, a virtue to the old
and a curse to the young, so highly prized but eagerly
parted with—the riches of beautiful skin traded for the
wisdom of calluses."

I took the time to read the author's note which informed us of how the last three books was more like a three act play and the whole new direction it will take, so the cliff hanger ending didn't bother me much. Age of Legend indeed was different than the predecessors. If you have been a fan of the series and
Narilka
I have always found it amazing that in the vast expanse of eternity, several significant yet unrelated events can occur simultaneously. Such things make we wonder what the gods know that I do not.
-The Book of Brin

Age of Legend is the fourth book in the Legends of the First Empire series by Michael J. Sullivan. It is also the point where the series takes a mythological turn as the story's tone and focus shifts. The war between Rhunes and Fhrey has been going for years and is now in a stalemate.
Sonny
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well that was a little disappointing after the first three books. Plot wise, nothing much really happens in this book. It was full of soapy drama and a lot of mistakes. It appears that Brin and Persephone have started sipping on the same cocktail Tyrion was drunk on in seasons 7 & 8.

(view spoiler)
Contrarius
I'm sorry to say that these books seem to be getting worse instead of better.

This one doesn't even bother to have a complete intra-book story arc. It builds slowly throughout, but just as it seems to be getting somewhere, poof! -- end of the book. BOOOOOOOOO.

Throughout the series, I've been irritated amongst other things by all the instant inventions (wheels! riding horses! bows and arrows!)... and that continued unabated here. I have to admit, though, that I can see a bit of why Sullivan is doi
Kinga
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“So, what emerges after a butterfly is sealed inside a chrysalis?”

After my favorite character died in the previous part I thought the worse was over… well, I was proven wrong.

And now the next part’s title makes so much sense!

The ending of this one reminded me a lot of The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan, where Percy and Annabeth decided to take on a journey in a very special place… which happened here as well. I can’t wait to start Age of Death, I need answers and also I need to know
Flying Monkey
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, audible
4 Stars!

Another great book by Michael J. Sullivan. The only reason this doesn't get 5 Stars is the abrupt ending. Luckily, I can start Age of Death right now.
Legends of the Fi...: Age of Legend 3 40 Aug 19, 2020 07:11AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Age of Legend [June 27, 2020] 27 22 Jul 10, 2020 06:26PM
Play Book Tag: Age of Legend-5 stars 1 14 Sep 01, 2019 09:56AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Sullivan - Age of Legend [July 16, 2019] 53 66 Aug 04, 2019 10:15PM

• Blood of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #3)
  • The Light of All That Falls (The Licanius Trilogy, #3)
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer, #5)
  • The Wolf's Call (Raven's Blade #1)
  • A Time of Courage (Of Blood and Bone, #3)
  • The Black Song (Raven's Blade, #2)
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • An Echo of Things to Come (The Licanius Trilogy, #2)
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • The Shadow of What Was Lost (The Licanius Trilogy, #1)
  • Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #3)
  • A Time of Blood (Of Blood and Bone, #2)
  • Wrath of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #2)
  • A Time of Dread (Of Blood and Bone, #1)
  • The Trouble with Peace (The Age of Madness, #2)
  • Dark Age (Red Rising Saga, #5)
  • Sins of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #1)
  • The Rage of Dragons (The Burning, #1)
A large shipment of "hurt books" are taking up room in my garage. So I'm having a 50% off sale!

What's a "hurt book"? It's a new copy that wasn't sold in a bookstore, so it was returned to the warehouse. Because it has "traveled a lot," there might be some minor exterior imperfections. You can "shop the sale" by clicking on the graphic above.

Slipcase orders are shipping! We sold out our first p

The Legends of the First Empire (6 books)
  • Age of Myth (The Legends of the First Empire, #1)
  • Age of Swords (The Legends of the First Empire, #2)
  • Age of War (The Legends of the First Empire, #3)
  • Age of Death (The Legends of the First Empire, #5)
  • Age of Empyre (The Legends of the First Empire, #6)

Articles featuring this book

“Pain, fear, drudgery, boredom, lots of boredom—these are the things that build character. And you need to experience loss and remorse because falling down gives you the opportunity to rise once more. Overcoming challenges turns a self-centered infant into a caring adult. Empathy—the ability to understand and appreciate the feelings of others—is the cornerstone of civilization and the foundation of our relationships. Lack of it . . . well, lack of empathy is as close to a definition of evil that I can come up with.” 4 likes
“We have but the roads that lie before our feet, and all too often our choices are limited to walking or standing still. And standing still gets us nowhere.” 2 likes