Start by marking “Coleccion Sacco: Apuntes de un Derrotista/ Coleccion Sacco: Notes From a Defeatist/ Spanish Edition” as Want to Read:

bApuntes de un Derrotista collects Sacco's early journalistic and autobiographical work. The centerpiece of the book is a triptych of war stories: When Good Bombs Happen to Bad People, a history of aerial bombing that targets civilian populations; More Women, More Children, More Quickly, which relates his mother's harrowing experiences during World War II in Malta; and How ...more
Published April 25th 2007 by Public Square Books (first published February 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Coleccion Sacco, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coleccion Sacco

David Schaafsma
Early Sacco, pre-Palestine, pre-Safe Area Gorazde, finding his style, tacking back and forth between wild eighties party/music scenes with typically self-deprecating and cynical and sometimes very funny reflections to his first deeply political stuff. The whole idea of his depicting himself as this annoying nebbish, a "defeatist," reminds me of Harvey Pekar, maybe particularly his memoir, The Quitter, but really most of American Splendor. You get hipster points when you identify yourself as a lo ...more
Avishek Das
Jan 15, 2017 Avishek Das rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual Joe sacco killed it with the premise & drew crazy outline of middle east...
Kaleidograph
I'm not a die-hard Sacco-fanatic. I theoretically had to read Palestine for class once, but I didn't plan enough time, underestimated how dense it was and so I left it hanging only a dozen pages in. I was impressed by the project though, by the whole idea of honestly subjective journalism in comic book format, and since I have a foible for the explorative crispness of early work and generally prefer personal stories to political stuff, I thought instead of being the millionth person to read Pale ...more
Sumit Singla
Oh well, this started out promisingly, with what one of my friends (who happens to be a graphic novel aficionado) calls the 'underground' style of comic art. (I have no clue what that really means, but I assume it's meant to be some kind of a compliment.)

I liked the initial bits - these comics were done by Sacco before he made it big with Palestine. Some of the stories (or shorts actually) are dark and gritty, whereas I found the others fairly absurd and preposterous.

Also, the major issue with t
Stephanie
Oct 06, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Os contos mais pessoais acerca do cotidiano de Sacco chegam a ser desinteressantes. O que vale a pena são os últimos com representações de guerra.
Hip E.
Dec 01, 2010 Hip E. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He's from Portland and U of O. Early stuff is not as good as later, but you can see the progression towards greatness.
Alan Fricker
Jun 28, 2017 Alan Fricker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Feel sure I had read this before or maybe just in other collections. Loving detailed, sharp and angry
Jim
May 21, 2010 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I got this book out of the library a few days ago. I was impressed by the drawing style. Joe Sacco's style is reminiscent of R. Crumb in terms of exaggeration, shading and cross-hatching.

This book contains short works by Sacco. Some are autobiographical, some fiction, some based on real events and stories his mother told him of WWII. I enjoyed most of the book, however in the middle he did a few stories that seemed to be drug induced stream-of-consciousness pieces. I tend to find such works bor
Meghaditya Roy Chaudhury
A nice weekend read. I had been always a follower of Joe Sacco's unique style of comic journalism. This one's a collection of Sacco's unpublished earlier works before he came to prominence with his notable works 'Palestine' and 'Safe Area Gorazde'. He claims himself to be a 'war junkie' and religiously sticks to his satirical approach towards violence. Out of the many collections of his works in this book I liked 3 of them particularly - 'Eight Characters', 'When good bombs happen to bad people' ...more
Alicia
So I had read Safe Area Gorazde and enjoyed it immensely, recognizing Sacco's name, so I picked up the graphic novel of his earlier works, many centered around war stories which he's made famous in his graphic novels. This is mixed in with other vignettes of a biographical nature.

There are some that make more sense than others, there are some that are just plain creative and genius, and others that are pointed. I obviously enjoyed the library sketch. So as a whole it was okay as I get Sacco's m
Joe
Aug 11, 2008 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started out really good. I was thinking I might even have to buy it, instead of just borrow it from the library. But towards the end, when Sacco started getting more serious about politics, and where his word count exploded, I quickly grew tired of his cartoons. He's a great artist, but only a so so writer, so when his words overshadow his images, he fails. As for the good stuff, his library story and his story about the young Trotskyite who parades around town as a large hammer are ju ...more
Ed Dinnermonkey
'Palestine' is one of those 'awfully important books' I've been meaning to read for years, so I was delighted to find that, through this collection of his earlier stuff, Joe Sacco is (or was) a deliriously cynical artist struggling with accommodating the hatred of injustice with his own desire for happiness. It's funny and honest, not to mention delightfully profane and lurid. There's such a breadth of styles here, it's clear to see an artist finding his own style and voice. Stand outs are the m ...more
Reg Wilson
Feb 12, 2016 Reg Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Irreverent, sarcastic, political, and powerfully cathartic story telling. As a comic it combines the incredibly detailed full page stuff he is known for in his strictly political chart toppers, but also well scripted and framed traditional comic story telling. I love this, and more than I thought I would. I did not think he was as funny as this.
Lee Carlton
I've pretty much plowed through all of Sacco's other work at this point, so this one was a bit of a letdown. It's a collection of his earlier writing, and a lot of it reminds me of Crumb. If you are tending towards being a Sacco completionist, which is where I find myself, you might save this until the very end. Definitely read Safe Area and Palestine first. The Fixer is also very good.
Adan
Mar 07, 2016 Adan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of Sacco's earlier work in this collection, which is pretty hit or miss. I wasn't a fan of the band tour segment ("In the Company of Long Hair") or the rambling, Beat-like "A Disgusting Experience", but "Eight Characters" was excellent, as were "When Good Bombs Happen to Bad People" and "More Women, More Children, More Quickly".
Kevin
Jul 07, 2013 Kevin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a general collection of Sacco’s pieces for alternative comics and magazines before he became (relatively famous). They range from a history of aerial warfare against civilians to his time as a roadie in Germany, and include pieces on such topics as his mother’s childhood in wartime Malta, what it’s like for a cartoonist to own a dog, and his conflicted opinions on the first Gulf War.
John
May 18, 2013 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fine collection of short early works from Sacco sets you up for the longer realist-journalism from the Middle East or the longer fabulist-reflections of a band on the road you can get elsewhere. The history of civilian bombing is quite effective as a mix of the two modes. There is even a short segment on libraries. The visual style owes a lot to Peter Bagge, I think.
Tina Siegel
This is a collection of Sacco's earlier stuff. Some of it was amazing, some was confusing, some was difficult to follow because of the graphics. So more uneven than his later work, which makes sense. But it was still good, and cool to see Sacco's work develop. Definitely worth a read.
Cem
Compared to the gem that is Palestine, this book is really not impressive. In fact, as an indie cartoonist, Sacco, to me should stick to graphic journalism. His exquisite artwork leads up with disappointment once I read the captions. Quite boring, really.
Ignacio Torres masdeu
Aug 31, 2016 Ignacio Torres masdeu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic
The first stories reminded me of the early Hate comics by Peter Bagge. They are not bad, but I would have liked them 15 years ago, not now.

I really enjoyed the second half with critics of war, the Palestinian conflict and a really touching story of the German bombings of Malta during WWII.
Hans
Jul 19, 2014 Hans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars - This volume contains Joe Sacco's work reissued from a comic series called Yahoo. Basically it feels like Sacco is working out a style and tone that he used to much stronger effect with his next series Palestine. This is what made his later work possible.
Zioluc
May 08, 2014 Zioluc rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fumetto, reportage
Sacco pubblica i suoi lavori giovanili, cioè imbarazzanti scopiazzature da R. Crumb. Gli ultimi lavori si avvicinano al materiale che lo ha reso famoso ma non bastano a salvare questa squallida operazione commerciale.
Piet
Early work of Joe Sacco. Nice to see where he comes from, what kind of comics he started with. Cynical and Funny, but I probably would not have read this if he did not create masterpieces as Safe Area Goraze, Palestine, Gaza, ...
Bryanzk
bombing, one of the reason that people doesn't deserve this planet, but joe sacco is the opposite one
Prctaxman
Sacco's two, full length books are brilliant. On the other hand, this book is a total piece of bleep! I do not recommend this waste of time to anyone.
Anuradha
Jan 15, 2016 Anuradha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
very tongue-in-cheek. But been a Sacco fan for too long to not read.
Anne
May 02, 2015 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Once he gets to writing about war and politics, this is as good and as engaging as Sacco's best work. When he's writing silly stories or writing about being a hippy, meh.
mano manoj

freakish graphics
and then the smell of bombs ....

running for cover wen the promise of a new world unfurled beneath the clear blue sky...
Simon Sweetman
Sep 02, 2016 Simon Sweetman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of the 'non-political' stuff from Sacco. Really enjoyed this.
Amber
Sacco's most honest, captivating wiring/illustrations are his war stories ad those were well done in this book.
  • Shenzhen: A Travelogue from China
  • American Splendor: Our Movie Year
  • Tales of Woodsman Pete
  • Truth: Red, White, and Black
  • Alan's War: The Memories of G.I. Alan Cope
  • Barefoot Gen, Volume Seven: Bones into Dust
  • An Anthology of Graphic Fiction, Cartoons, and True Stories: Volume 2
  • Simpsons World - The Ultimate Episode Guide (Seasons 1-20)
  • The Plot: The Secret Story of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion
  • The Acme Novelty Library #19
  • Paul à Québec
  • Breakdowns: Portrait of the Artist as a Young %@&*! (Pantheon Graphic Novels)
  • Krazy and Ignatz, 1933-1934: Necromancy by the Blue Bean Bush
  • Star Wars Tales, Vol. 6
  • Love and Rockets, Vol. 22: Ghost of Hoppers
  • Jamilti and Other Stories
  • Shutting Out the Sky: Life in the Tenements of New York, 1880-1924
  • George Sprott, 1894-1975
Joe Sacco was born in Malta on October 2, 1960. At the age of one, he moved with his family to Australia, where he spent his childhood until 1972, when they moved to Los Angeles. He began his journalism career working on the Sunset High School newspaper in Beaverton, Oregon. While journalism was his primary focus, this was also the period of time in which he developed his penchant for humor and sa ...more
More about Joe Sacco...