Start by marking “Santa's Story” as Want to Read:
Santa's Story

Santa's Story

Santa is ready to leave on Christmas Eve, but he can’t find the reindeer anywhere. Dasher is busy dashing, Donner is dozing, and Cupid is crooning. It isn’t until Santa remembers their annual tradition—reading a Christmas story together—that the reindeer are ready.

Reindeer merriment abounds in this charming yuletide tale about honoring the celebration of holiday customs
Published September 10th 2019 by Two Lions

To ask other readers questions about Santa's Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Santa's Story

Start your review of Santa's Story
Meredith
Santa awaits his reindeer on Christmas Eve, but they aren't ready to pull his sleigh until he reads them The Night Before Christmas.

It's Christmas Eve, and Santa is ready to go deliver presents, but all of his reindeer are out and about engaging in puny and alliterative activities. He waits and waits and is about to give up when he remembers their Christmas Eve tradition of reading The Night Before Christmas.

This was a cute nod to the most famous of all Christmas stories involving Santa Claus as
KC
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Nothing special until the humorous ending.
Nanette
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juv-fic
Very cute children's holiday story, loved it!!
Madison Warner Fairbanks
The importance of reading a story.....
A tag-along of the classic The Before Christmas.
Adorable animals and Santa caricature.
Baby Bookworm
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews
Hello, friends! Our book today is Santa’s Story by Will Hillenbrand, a delightful Christmas tale.

It’s the most important night of the year, and Santa is ready for his big flight… but his reindeer are nowhere to be found! Turns out, they’re all off doing their own thing: Dasher’s running a race with some rabbit pals, Dancer’s practicing his jig, Prancer’s prancing with excitement, and so on. Wanting to get on the road (sky?), Santa tries various methods of calling the reindeer together, but to no
Stacie
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
As a homage to Hillenbrand’s own childhood tradition, he wrote this book about Santa trying to gather up the reindeer for their important night of deliveries. But, Santa can’t find the reindeer. They are off dancing, prancing, vexing, crooning, and dozing. Until finally, Santa remembers that it’s storytime. Once he reads the beloved THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS, then all the reindeer are ready for their big night.

Hillenbrand’s illustrations are adorable from the little bunnies to the fluffy
Cynthia  Gutzwiller
Twas Christmas Eve and the world was white and bright. Santa had no reindeer. Dasher was dancing and Blitzen Boasted. Cupid Crooned (Sang). Donner Dozed (Slept). Santa feels like he forgot something. What could it be? Is that why the reindeer won't come?
This book has a beautiful story along with breathtaking illustrations. You must read all the small words or you will miss a reindeer. I did. It's a wonderful bedtime storybook or daytime read anytime book. Your young one will have fun hunting
Erin Buhr
Oct 17, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019-books
Will Hillenbrand’s family apparently had the same tradition that I started with my kids (and I’m sure many other families do as well) - reading TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS on Christmas Eve. I have a favorite version that I bring out every year now matter how late we’re headed to bed and we read it cuddled in our Christmas pjs before attempting to sleep. That tradition, in Hillenbrand’s family, inspired this story. Santa is all set to leave on Christmas Eve, but he can’t find the reindeer ...more
Susan
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it

Thank you to @amazonpublishing and @blue_slip_media for the review copy of this book. All opinions are my own.
Does your family share The Night Before Christmas every year, as we always do? In Santa’s Story we learn Santa and his reindeer ALSO share this much loved tradition. All goes well until Santa forgets! The cozy illustrations add so much to this delightful story as they allow us to witness the reindeer antics and Santa’s puzzlement over the reindeers’ refusal to fly. I’m sure there will be
Vanessa
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Perhaps it’s cheating (though it is at the beginning of the book), but much of my emotion over this story comes from the fact that I read the author’s dedication to his father before reading the story. With that in mind, the book takes on a whole new meaning. I’m a big softie, so it brought me close to tears. Without reading the dedication, I would have thought it was cute & probably given it 3-3.5 stars, but with that added layer of meaning, it’s a solid 5 for me. We should all be so lucky ...more
Abby Johnson
What a darling Christmas story to share on Christmas Eve. Santa's ready to go deliver the toys, but his reindeer are nowhere to be found. Each one is alliteratively up to something different, but what they're really waiting for is their Christmas Eve tradition of Santa reading them 'Twas the Night Before Christmas. Since this is also a tradition in my family, this is a sweet, beautiful, snowy book that I'll be buying for my nieces.
Nicole
Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Another cute story for the Christmas Holiday! It's Christmas Eve and Santa can't find any of the reindeer. The Reindeer are doing their own thing (some are sleeping, dancing, howling,etc.). Santa try's everything to get them to come home, but nothing works. Until he remember their tradition of storytime on Christmas Eve. A wonderful book for families who need a charming & sweet story for their Christmas tradition!
I know what book I'll be reading to my little cousins on Christmas Eve!!!
Pam
Sep 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Never underestimate the importance of reading books. Santa searches for his reindeer on Christmas Eve but can't find them. They don't come for the horn nor the sleigh bells. Then he remembers he needs to read a special book. They come from everywhere to hear the story.
Can be used in connection with "Twas the Night Before Christmas."
Sara Sears
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book from a goodreads giveway! (Thanks so much!!) This was a cute Christmas picture book, with a spin on a classic tale. The illustrations are absolutely stunning. Not too many words on a page to overwhelm a child. Donated the book to my local library to add to their collection! Now even more children can experience the magic!
Clwseattle
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
Santa's Story is a clever and cute twist on a Christmas story. The illustrations are fabulous. Your little ones will laugh and enjoy Santa's Story because even the reindeer need a story to settle down on Christmas Eve!
Janice Cloutier
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adorable book for kids for the holidays! The pictures are incredible and the storyline adorable! Santa is ready to leave with his sleigh but the reindeer are each doing something else! Funny, easy to follow and a fun twist on Santa and his reindeer! A great read!
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
Very cute and interactive picture book where the reindeer are being naughty and not gathering up for their Christmas Eve flight. Each reindeer has an action associated with them, which would be cute to act out. And Santa blows a horn and jingles bells, so there could easily be some sound effects.
Darlene
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a cute Christmas book for young children. The pictures are so beautiful and will keep young kids excited and interested in the story. Beautifully illustrated Christmas story to read to youngsters around the holiday. I received my copy through Goodreads first reads.
Michelle
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We won this book as part of a Goodreads Giveaway. Adorable book - my kids enjoyed it. I recommend this book for the upcoming holidays.
Robin
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Love the illustrations but the story is slow to start and seems incomplete.
Sandra Crane
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute story, Santa is ready to go but where are the reindeers? The book is beautifully illustrated. Thank you Goodread Giveaway for this adorable book.
Gabrielle Stoller
Who doesn't think every holiday should be started off with a storytime?! These reindeer do!
Jessica
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Boring. Nothing happened until the last couple of pages. The ending wasn’t even funny, just kind of cute.
Christine D
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hillenbrand's illustrations are always gorgeous and adorable
Kara Otto
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My son loved this cute story and illustrations. Perfect Christmas book.
Suzy
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Super cute! love the illustrations!
Kelly
Sep 26, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019, holiday
I wrote down that this book was "super cute" and "really, really cute." I guess I liked it. :D The illustrations are also cute. A great book for a Christmas storytime.
Brenda Kahn
Reviewing on my blog on Friday. Suffice it to say, there was instant cover love followed by a warmed heart upon reading the dedication. And, hey! It's Will Hillenbrand!
Elizabeth
I will never tire of Hillenbrand's adorable characters and illustrations.
Kim
Dec 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, christmas
Santa can't find any of his reindeer until he remembers that they need a storytime before they will take up on Christmas' Eve.

• The Great Santa Stakeout
  • Jultröjan
  • A Map Into the World
  • Birdsong
  • This Book Is Gray
Will Hillenbrand is an American children's book author and illustrator who has worked on over seventy books for young people. Raised in Cincinnati, Ohio, he was influenced by the stories he heard in his father's barbershop growing up. After taking a class in picture-book art while in art school, he decided to pursue a career in children's literature, combining his love of storytelling with his ...more