Start by marking “A Cornish Summer” as Want to Read:
A Cornish Summer

A Cornish Summer

THE PERFECT SUMMER READ' Sophie Kinsella

THE SUNDAY TIMES TOP TEN BESTSELLER

A Cornish Summer is the irresistible new novel from the author of About Last Night and Wish You Were Here
__________

Flora's been in love with her husband for twenty years. The trouble is, he's been married to someone else for the past fifteen . . .

Now she's been invited to spend the summer in the shady lanes and sandy coves of Cornwall. It sho

Kinsella

Published June 13th 2019 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about A Cornish Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cornish Summer

Lydia Bailey
Chick lit isn’t my usual genre these days but I couldn’t resist this cover for a summer read, plus I have previously enjoyed Catherine Alliott’s writing. She’s a good story teller & her characters (although there are many) are all well rounded & engaging. I got ‘into’ the story quickly but felt the writing over the first half of the book was quite laborious to get through, mainly because of many ‘information dumps’ given. Rather than moving the story forward there was a lot of tedious ba ...more
Rachel Gilbey
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
What an epic cast of characters, and some of the ending that I definitely didn't see coming.

It felt like there really were a lot of words and characters to get to grips with, although once you had an idea of the family dynamics, most of the book slotted into place nicely in my mind, it just felt at times a tad too long.

That being said there were sections where I couldn't tear my eyes away from the page, the main action scenes, one involving a hunt, and one a far more serious happening a lot la
Liz
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So many characters are introduced in the opening chapters of this book that it’s difficult to keep track of them all and understand the relationships between them. It’s a slow read, focusing on family dynamics without any specific, clear plot. As the book progressed and the characters become more familiar I did start to enjoy it but it’s definitely not my favourite book from this author!
Nicola Clough
Jul 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I usually recall enjoy Catherine's book for some reason it took me time to get into this book which is unusual for me but once I did get into it I found it quite a good read lovely being based in Cornwall and some good characters and heartfelt and funny.
Flora has been in love with her husband for twenty years but he's been married to someone else for 15 years. She's been invited to spend the summer in Cornwall only problem is it's with her former mother on law Belinda. Problem is she learns her
Alison
Flora is a single mother, divorced for 17 years but still madly in love with her ex-husband, even though he has been happily married to his second wife for 15 years. Persuaded against her better judgment to paint a portrait of her former father-in-law she returns to her ex-husband's family home in Cornwall for the Summer. Soon it seems as though everyone else has also come to Cornwall, Flora's son Peter, Flora's best friend and fellow artist Celia, Flora's ex-husband Hugo, his wife Christina and ...more
Tripfiction
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels-set-in-uk
And.. another novel set in wonderful CORNWALL

Summer 2019 has seen a real uplift in novels set in this wonderful part of the world. Are we surprised? The county makes a wonderful backdrop for all kinds of stories, usually with a good dollop of romance. And romance is indeed part of A Cornish Summer.

A couple of decades ago Flora fell for Hugo Bellingdon, of Bellingdon Water (who provide water services ar
Shaz Goodwin
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

What we see on the surface is hardly ever what’s playing out for real and in A Cornish Summer I’ve so enjoyed discovering for myself the warp and weft of the character’s lives that have made them who they are (see how real they are to me!) and how they react to life’s challenges.

I liked Flora from the beginning. Some might see her as hooked on a fantasy and feel frustrated that she hasn’t moved on but I understood her. To me she saw Hugo as a father figure and ‘safe’ which i
Sharon
May 14, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Got just a few pages into this and then she started talking about hunting as if it was just a jolly day out. As someone who finds it abhorrent I couldn’t continue reading.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for an arc copy of this book.
Julie Haigh
A satisfyingly cosy saga set against the glorious backdrop of Cornwall.

It's 15 years since Flora's ex-husband left her. He's now remarried. Surely she doesn't still want him?

This started out a warm, cosy read-but soon I felt I had been misled a bit by the book's blurb. It said it was hilarious. It was not. But, as I got into the story, I later felt it didn't really matter and just read it for what it was. A steady, pleasant read.

It was a good read-just not so special. Th
Claire
Sep 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you to Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.

The book overall is a very slow burner, with lots of characters. It can be very difficult to keep track of all of the characters & how they link together. I don't think all of them where necessarily essential to the story. Iris, for example, would not be missed from the story & does not really add any substance to the plot. Once it got to the last 20% of the book, after a couple of plot twists, I couldn't pu
Karen Whittard
Sadly this wasn’t my most favourite book that Catherine had written. I found some of the characters a little one dimensional. That being sad the story has a wonderful heart, a lovely way about it and is an enjoyable read.
Hilary Mortz
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Destined to be a big seasonal hit with the ‘buy it at the airport, read it on the sun lounger’ crowd, but none the worse for that, A Cornish Summer is the perfect feel-good escapist novel.

Packed to the brim with glamorous but still relatable characters, the plot is cosy but still current. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and absolutely loved the devastatingly romantic ending.

Five well earned stars to Catherine Alliott – you are a national treasure, missus.

Many thanks to N
Agi
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Flora is a single mother, divorced for 17 years already but still crazy in love with her ex - husband Hugo, even though he's married to his second wife for 15 years and they have twins. Nevertheless, Hugo remains a large part of her, and their son Peter, lives, taking care about his education and holidays. Now Flora is about to return to Cornwall, to Hugo's family home, as she has been commissioned to paint a portrait of her former father - in - law. Soon it turns out that it's more a family and
Sharon
Jun 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-copy
3.5/5

Flora is hired by the family of her ex-husband to paint a portrait. She and her friend Celia aren't expecting to be greeted by half the family - including said ex husband and his new wife. Flora is still in love with her ex, will this be the Summer she's finally able to move on and find herself?

I went into this book expecting a character-focused book and wasn't disappointed. It's a slow burner - the first half is more about establishing who's who and what went on in the past
Jane Hunt
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reading the prologue of this novel, I imagined two ladies from the between the wars era, travelling to a glamorous, if slightly contentious, house party. In reality, this story has a contemporary setting, but with all the atmosphere, secrets and intrigue of a more romantic era.

Flora, an artist, mother and daughter, grew up in Cornwall, she still loves her husband, to the extent she has put her romantic life on hold, but he has been married to another woman for over fifteen years. Thi
Grace J Reviewerlady
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A glorious read! An enthralling story which really got under my skin - it's so good!

Flora is heading back to her home county of Cornwall for the summer weeks; thrilled to be back on the coast, the only thorn in the ointment is her former mother-in-law. However, upon arrival she discovers her ex-husband, new wife and their children are also in residence. He may have divorced Flora, but she has never fallen out of love with him. It's going to be a very trying few weeks . . .

Lisa Whittaker
I’ve read a few Catherine Alliott books before and really enjoyed them. I found this book a bit of a slog if I’m honest and skim read the last 70 pages or so. I got to a point when I wasn’t sure what the story was actually about.

I didn’t really warm to any of the characters and the main character, Flora, frustrated me. I thought she was weak and at times I wanted to shake her.

It won’t put me off of Catherine’s books though as I thoroughly enjoyed the others I’ve read of hers and I have a coupl
This book promised to be so much more than a chic lit romance with the descriptions of hunting and scenery but did not live up to early promise. The narrator/central character is annoying and stupid and the ending predictable. The dialogue so unnatural and often unbelievable. Still, it’s a quick and light read, as chic lit should be and distracted me from being ill on the weekend.
Mandy
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly and utterly fell in love with this book. The story flowed seamlessly from present to past and back and forth without you realising it. The characters are lovely and the storyline could easily happen in real life. This is the first book I’ve read by the author and couldn’t put down. Definitely won’t be the last!
Pauline Knox
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Flora, a country girl at heart, has successfully managed to live most of her adult life in secluded oblivion in London of all places! She has managed this largely due to her career as an artist hiding away in her studio...along with childcare throughout the required years from her mother. During these years she has been in love with Hugo, but they have been divorced for the last 15 years.
This is a tale of discovery, of family and of sacrifice that comes to a head one summer when Flora is b
Margaret Duke-Wyer
The story opens with Flora driving her friend Celia down to Cornwall to spend the summer painting. Flora has been commissioned to paint a portrait of Roger, her ex father-in-law in his family home and they have kindly provided accommodation in a charming cottage close to the beach. She has been divorced from his son, Hugo for 15 years and this is the first time that she will spend an extended period with Hugo’s family, including their son Peter.

Flora and Hugo are from opposite sides of the trac
Nicola Smith
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Years ago I read quite a few of Catherine Alliott's books and I loved them but for some reason I don't seem to have read any of her more recent works until now.

A Cornish Summer taps very nicely into that love of all things Cornish. The area is beautifully portrayed in this book as it's set in what sounds like an absolute idyllic area. Flora Bellingdon is divorced from her ex-husband, Hugo, and has been for the last fifteen years but she still carries a torch for him. Not in a way tha
Michelle Ryles
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
Catherine Alliott is an author who has been on my radar for a while and I have a number of her books in my collection but, rather shockingly, A Cornish Summer is the first one that I have read. Such is the curse of so many books so little time.

A Cornish Summer is different from books that I would usually read in that it is more of a family saga. Flora heads to Cornwall to paint a portrait of her ex-father-in-law, taking along her friend, Celia, for moral support. It's just as well sh
Moirelyn Jewula
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve read every single novel by Catherine Alliott dating back to 1994 and it was always my treat to take one of her books on my annual holiday. I then used to ration how fast I was allowed to read it, to make the fun last. Although her genre is ultimately romantic fiction, I’ve always thought it was a cut above, being imbued with emotional intelligence and her unique brand of wit. Her heroines are always so relatable and reading one of her novels always feels like coming home.
Over the years her
Pauline Knox
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Angela  Mellor
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
A Cornish Summer when I read the blurb said it was a hilarious read but unfortunately I didn’t read anything funny in it.
The book starts off well for the first page or two as we meet Flora on her way to Cornwall with her friend, Celia. They are on their way there as Flora has been commissioned to paint her ex father in law. This all sounded like it was going in the right direction until I got bombarded with so many characters I couldn’t keep up with who was who and related to who so I did
Mrs
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Cornish Summer is the story of Flora, an artist who has been commissioned to paint a portrait of her ex father in law in his Cornish family home. Not realising that her ex husband ,his wife and twins will also be there for the summer she knows it will be a difficult time for her. Although being divorced for 15 years Flora has never been able to get over the breakup and not moved on in all the years that have passed.
Add to this drama we have a scheming, manipulative ex mother in law and anothe
Jeanniehay64
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it
It took me a while to get into this book as I found the story a bit of a slow burner with numerous characters which I found confusing but I was glad I continued reading because the twist half way through made the book more enjoyable and if I was rating the book on the second half I would definitely give it a five star .

Although the burb said it was hilarious I felt the story explored very serious issues.

The realisation that secrets can be so well hidden and the truth almost always comes to lig
Alison Cairns
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I expected a light hearted romance but there was a lot more to this novel as we joined the Bedlington family in Cornwall for the summer. The story is told from the perspective of Flora, ex wife of son and heir Hugo, and mother of his oldest child, 17 year old Peter. Flora agrees to spend the summer painting her ex father in law, Roger. When she arrives with artist friend, Celia, she finds her ex husband Hugo, his wife Christina and their twins as well as his long term friend, and thorn in Flora' ...more
Mandy
May 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I’ve always loved Catherine Alliott’s books; they sometimes had a rather large cast of characters to cope with but there was always humour in them and the heroine getting herself into scrapes. I’m really sorry to say that I was disappointed with A Cornish Summer.

I’m not actively anti-hunt, although I don’t agree with it, but I found that the parts on hunting and horse-riding went on for far too long and included terms and expressions that I didn’t understand. Unfortunately, I became
« previous 1 3 next »
Catherine has written fifteen bestselling novels and is translated into eighteen languages. She has sold over 3 million books worldwide.

The first of these novels Catherine started under the desk when she worked as an advertising copywriter. She was duly fired. With time on her hands, she persevered with the novels, which happily flourished.

In the early days she produced a b