Start by marking “Field Notes on Love” as Want to Read:
Field Notes on Love

Field Notes on Love

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  8,967 ratings  ·  1,521 reviews
Having just been dumped by his girlfriend, British-born Hugo is still determined to take his last-hurrah-before-college train trip across the United States. One snag: the companion ticket is already booked under the name of his ex, Margaret Campbell. Nontransferable, no exceptions.

Enter the new Margaret C. (Mae for short), an aspiring filmmaker with big dreams. After findi
Published March 5th 2019 by Delacorte Press

·  8,967 ratings  ·  1,521 reviews

Start your review of Field Notes on Love
Larry H
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

Sometimes I need a break from brooding thrillers and mysteries, where everyone is a suspect (at least in my mind) and the subject matter can be heavy at times. I saw a friend recommend Jennifer E. Smith's newest book, Field Notes on Love , and it definitely seemed to be what I was looking for—a good YA rom-com.

Two hours later I finished the book and I'm so glad I read it. Such a sweet, fun, engaging story—it totally hit the spot!

"Do you ever feel like you need to shake things up? Or
emma
i wish that this book - which takes place nearly in its entirety on a train - had more trains in it.

similarly, i wish that this book, which follows two characters on a cross-country trip, felt more travel-y.

i also wish it felt longer and the characters and their relationship felt deeper and less rushed.

evidently i wish a lot of things. but this was still pretty good.

bottom line: quick and fluffy. i read it in like 3 hours. it's summertime, baby, what more could you want!

-------------
pre-review

i
Cristina Monica
Everything about this book is cute: the characters, story, writing, themes and even the conflicts. It was my first book from this author and I regret not having tried her sooner. She gets what it’s like to be a teenager in love and someone who is lost and in need of finding themselves. The premise is also extremely cute: Hugo’s girlfriend breaks up with him after having planned a whole trip they were supposed to leave on together and Hugo is left with two choices: he either forgets everything ab ...more
Emma
Mar 19, 2019 added it
why did i cry so much while reading this one? SO CUTE!! just what my spring contemporary craving heart needed.
Anne Bogel
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
When Hugo Wilkinson’s girlfriend Margaret unexpectedly breaks up with him, he’s left with a broken heart and an extra ticket for the trip of a lifetime they’d planned to take together between high school and college. It would be a grand adventure and an opportunity for Hugo to get out of his siblings’ shadow for a bit. As one of the famed Surrey sextuplets, there’s very little he gets to do on his own. Hugo would be happy to travel alone, but there’s a catch—Margaret booked the nonrefundable, no ...more
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Wasted my time.

First let me explain about the 2 stars.
A star for the unbelievably happy unrealistic young adult romance book perfect characters. We all wish for people like these in our lives.

Another star for those 2 perfect pages on what the book is supposed to be. Those pages when Mae actually interviews a woman in the train about life and love.

Otherwise the rest 99% of the book is pure cheesy, young adult insta love, all over each other, we-cannot-live-without-each-other kind of stuff till
monica kim
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
absolutely adorable but with so much heart
Alexa
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
(Rounded up as of 3/18!) I was looking forward to reading a new Jennifer E. Smith novel, but I didn’t expect to love this as much as I did. From the cross-country train journey, to the personal journeys both Mae and Hugo go on (which really resonated with me), I just genuinely fell hard for this story.
Mandy
Dec 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
Disclaimer: I received this ARC courtesy of Delacorte Press through advanced distribution at YALLFest. I am grateful for the opportunity to review an ARC for my readers, but this will not influence my final rating. All opinions expressed in this review are my own and based solely on the book.

I received this book at the Get Underlined tarot card reading session during Yallfest, and I don't think I read my future right. We were allowed to pick 2 books out of the 4 that was there, and I immediatel
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases
*3.5 stars*

I loved how straightforward and pure and lovely the writing and the romance were in this one. And the train setting was SO fun. Honestly, this was the cutest premise, executed really well.
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Once again I find myself in awe of the book gods. And grateful! I was going to pass on this book. Last week my head and heart were swimming with indecision on what to read next. On a whim, I picked this one up from my “read later” pile and BOOM! I was swept into a beautiful, made-my-heart-thump-and-flip, romantic read. Field Notes on Love is a journey. One we all take to discover who we are and what we want to be in this world. A path that is different for all of us. I am SO happy I jumped aboar
Kate (GirlReading)
This epitomised so much of what I love about YA romance. It perfectly balanced the fluffy ‘squee’ moments with a brilliant depth, it had well rounded, fleshed out characters and relationships and a plot I found myself immediately invested in.

I’ve never been one for instalove (I’m all about that slow burn romance life) but I kinda loved this? Sure, it happened quickly but it was so adorable and, for me, the characters logic behind it made it a lot more plausible.

The train setting was so much fun
Jen Ryland
Yay - really enjoyed this one - my favorite of her books so far.

Review to come!

Read more of my reviews on JenRyland.com! Check out my Bookstagram!

lol this is actually something that happened a few years back - I remember reading the story online and thinking "that would make a great rom com."
Stephanie Fitzgerald
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Y.A. readers, but adults would enjoy it also!
I really enjoyed this book! The premise of two teens meeting on a cross-country trip and developing a sweet, innocent relationship together drew me right in. Add to that the fact that the boy protagonist is one of six sextuplets from England and I couldn’t put it down!
Memorable quotes:
(Pg.27) “When he was little, his Mum used to call him Paddington because he was always getting lost from the rest of the group.”
(Pg. 99) “I love that every generation thinks they’ve invented it. They think they are
Jessica
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love a cute YA romance, so when I saw that Jennifer E Smith was coming out with a romance that took place on a train ride, I was so intrigued and knew I had to pick it up.

The summer before leaving for college, Hugo and his girlfriend decided to go on a cross-country trainride to California before they're separated for school, her in California and him home in England. But when Hugo's girlfriend dumps him and tells him to still go on the trip, Hugo finds himself in need of a girl with his girl
Tijana
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
Welcome to the CringeFest.
Trigger warning: the most extreme case of insta love that makes ME - a person who after dating a guy for a few months decided to move across the globe for him - roll my eyes.

All right, to be frank, it wasn't the worst or most cliche YA novel I ever read.
But I certainly dove into it with different expectations! I wanted to hear about the epic road trip! We certainly need more road trip stories in this bookish world!
And all I got was two kids falling in love while sleepin
temi ★
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4⅚ STARS.

I feel disgusting for saying this, but after reading this book, never have I wanted to fALl iN LoVE wITh sOMeOne MORE. Period! This book was SO cute and I've never actually felt this gushy about a fictional couple. Also, I absolutely LOVE this cover and I’m going to be able to have the pleasure of meeting the author this Saturday!1!!1!

Mae is this confident New Yorker who loves watching and making film. Hugo's a kind-of-famous sextuplet from the U.K. who does great in school but doesn't
Bookphenomena (Micky)
Review is up on A Take from Two Cities blog here.

FIELD NOTES ON LOVE was a sweet read. It was pleasant, easy to get into, with interesting characters. The premise for this storyline takes a bit of setting up before Hugo and Margaret make their epic train journey across the USA.

Hugo is a sextuplet (its relevant) from the UK and he needs a Margaret Campbell to use two tickets for his journey. Enters the perfect-aged Margaret Campbell. Both Margaret and Hugo had interesting families and they were c
celine (celinereads)
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s been a hot minute since I’ve been able to get back into the YA Contemporary genre, but this book definitely intrigued me!

I really enjoyed the characters, and I appreciated the diversity in this book. The main reason why this is not a 5-star book is because I do feel as if some parts were predictable and the instalove was a tad bit too much; however, I do still recommend this book to anyone who wants a cute, road trip/travel read!
jessica
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is so quintessentially contemporary fluff, i cant even handle it right now.

jennifer smith has really grown in my eyes. i wasnt a big fan of her earlier stories, but this and ‘windfall’ have now convinced me otherwise. she is definitely becoming an author i will immediately recommend when friends are looking for that sweet YA goodness.

there is just so much to love about this and i adored every word.

4 stars
Renee (itsbooktalk)
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book came my way at just the right time and in such a round about way that I completely believe in book serendipity! ~~ Hugo and Mae are recent high school graduates who meet in a rather unconventional way and decide to travel together by train from New York to California. There’s adventure, laughs, romance, and tears along the way and I was here for every last moment.
⠀⠀
I listened to part of this on audio and the narrators were fantastic, Hugo is British and listening to the audio really he
Emer (A Little Haze)
This was beyond adorable. I laughed, I cried and pretty much just finished the book with a stupid goofy grin on my face. Still not quite sure how BorrowBox had this available to borrow before the publication date of the paperback here but I'm certainly delighted that they did!

Jillian Reynolds (Jillian Loves Books)
Oh my god that was so simple and pure.

I'm going to write a full review this week, but just an FYI, this book is SoOoOoOoOo UNDERRATED . If you want a light, fluffy contemporary read to finish out the summer with--get this and thank me later. Freaking QUEEN Jenny Han blurbed it, friendos, and somehow NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT THIS FOR WHAT REASON, EXACTLY?
*is most clearly audibly confused*

Whatever. Brb. Just going to order more books by this author so I can feel light and fluffy and forget the
Rashika (is tired)
Actual Rating 3.5

Field Notes on Love is exactly what you would expect. It’s cute. It’s fluffy. It’s a quick read. I thoroughly enjoyed it. This is the kind of book you seek out on a cold, winter day when you need some good vibes and miss the summer sun.

Hugo just broke up with his long-time girlfriend and is stuck with a non-transferable trip to the US of A. He needs to find someone with the exact same name as his ex so he can go on a trip of a lifetime and get away from his big, bustling family
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
“You ran away and fell in love with a boy on a train,” he says, his voice full of wonder. Then he laughs. “Nana would be so proud.”
This was so perfect I just was so captivated by every interaction and moment that Hugo and Mae shared and my heart feels all full and giddy.

While yes this is a romance, I feel like at its core it's a story about self discover. Hugo is trying to find out who he is apart from his siblings and Mae is trying to find herself in her films. Both are trying to be
The Clever Reader
Ok! I think this is my new favorite YA Contemporary! I loved Mae and Hugo's story! Both Mae and Hugo have amazing families who are so supportive of them. Although both of them feel a little lost in life in their own ways the week they spend together shows them both exactly what they want. I enjoyed every minute of it and the narration was fantastic.

Zoe
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A delightfully charming, coming-of-age tale about creating goals, having dreams, taking chances, and first love!
Kate
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
3.75/5stars

Cute, fun, loved the characters and the premise and the train trip journey aspect was my personal fave thing! It’s a little cookie cutter but I almost expect that from JES - I can ALWAYS count on her to give me something cute and fluffy tho
Narofe
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The romance book is definitely amazing.

• Hope and Other Punchlines
  • Waiting for Tom Hanks (Waiting for Tom Hanks, #1)
  • Tweet Cute
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • To Night Owl from Dogfish
  • Call It What You Want
  • The Unhoneymooners
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • American Royals (American Royals, #1)
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • Somewhere Only We Know
Jennifer E. Smith is the author of eight books for young adults, including WINDFALL and THE STATISTICAL PROBABILITY OF LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT. She earned her master's degree in creative writing from the University of St. Andrews in Scotland, and her writing has been translated into 33 languages.

Articles featuring this book

Young love, first love, star-crossed love. YA fiction has brought us some of our very favorite heartbreaks and Happily Ever Afters. For Valentin...
“What do you love most about the world?”
Ida smiles. “I love that every generation thinks they’ve invented it. They think they’re the first ones to fall in love and get their hearts broken, to feel loss and passion and pain. And in a way, they are. We’ve been there before, of course. But for young people, that doesn’t matter. Everything is new. Which I love, because it means everything is always beginning again. It’s hopeful, I think. At least to me.”
20 likes
“Do you ever feel like what’s happening at this moment will never happen again? Like you could never repeat it, no matter how hard you tried?” 12 likes