Start by marking “When Valleys Bloom Again” as Want to Read:
When Valleys Bloom Again

When Valleys Bloom Again

As war approaches in 1939, Abby Stapleton’s safety is under threat. Her father, a British diplomat, insists she go back to America until the danger passes. Abby vows to return to her home in London—but where is home? With her family facing mortal danger so far away and feeling herself isolated, she finds it hard to pray or read the Bible. Did she leave God behind in war-to ...more
Published January 16th 2019 by Elk Lake Publishing, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about When Valleys Bloom Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Valleys Bloom Again

Start your review of When Valleys Bloom Again
Deanne Patterson
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pat Jeanne Davis has debuted her historical romance novel “When Valleys Bloom Again” which released in 2019. The characters go through some troubling times but they are wrapped in God's goodness. This is a fascinating historical novel set during WWII , dangerous and dark times in America, England, and France. Abby is sent from her home by her father, a British diplomat for her own safety at the start of the war. She is sad and lonely and feels abandoned by not only her family but God as well. Ho ...more
Abigail
This book was Mrs. Davis' debut novel and may I just say that it was amazing. This was not an all time favorite but I definitely would recommend it.

Mrs. Davis definitely put a lot of time and effort into the research and history. It was refreshing to read a book that was written for its era.

The storyline was both amazing but also lacking. Don't get me wrong, I loved the storyline and it really picked up half way through the book, but the first half seemed rather rushed and it just seemed to be
Alysha (For The Love of Christian Fiction)
I didn’t really connect with the characters or the story.
I had a really hard time reading it. 😞

3/5 stars.
Julia
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When Valleys Bloom Again by Pat Jeanne Davis is a fabulous debut novel set during WWII. It is full of Godly wisdom and insight.
During a time of war, people need God more than ever. “Where are you, Lord, in all this?” We cannot always see Him but Jesus has promised to never leave us.
There are times in life when we feel abandoned, even by God. “God has forgotten me.” The presence of God has nothing to do with our feelings, He is beside us, whether we ‘feel’ Him or not.
The reader is treated to loca
Maureen Timerman
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
What a journey we embark on as we turn the pages of this book, some of the hardest times that we have had, and we are there to walk in their shoes, so to speak, but the reality of what is happening in the world, and although fiction, this book is based on rfacts.
When Abby Stapelton arrives in America, her parents wanted her out of England, and, and away from the danger of WWII, she doesn't realize how much her life is about to change.
There are secrets here, and unknown danger, besides the war, b
Lynda Edwards
May 20, 2020 rated it liked it
One of my favorite time periods to read about is WWII, so it was with eagerness I picked up this story. The back cover description contained an interesting premise and I was curious to see how it would all work out. Unfortunately, while the plot is interesting, the book does have a few hiccups that hindered my enjoyment.

I had a hard time relating to Abby for the first part of the book. She seemed a bit immature to me; perhaps that is due to overdone parental sheltering, or maybe a lack of self-
Patti Pierce
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Abby Stapleton, daughter of an English diplomat, is sent to live with her aunt and uncle because of the impending danger of World War II. Once in the United States, she begins going to college and forging a new life. She finds herself involved with Jim, who works as a gardener on her uncle’s estate. At first the relationship between Abby and her aunt oozes with tension and discord, especially when Jim and Abby become involved with each other. But through the pages of the book, her aunt comes to ...more
Linda
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
When Valleys Bloom Again is a charming debut novel that explores the impact of WWII on people across the globe. Through evocative description the reader is immersed in the dust and rubble of London, the dearth and rationing of America, and the fear and loss of the soldiers. I struggled a bit to relate to Abby, but that is probably because she is significantly younger than me. Her world has turned upside down several times through events that are out of her control. Her emotions in response to th ...more
A.D. Lawrence
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story had me hooked from the beginning! The author's voice was beautiful, and it's clear much research went into the book. Loved the twists and turns. Can't wait to read more from this author!
Ann
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very well written book. It has suspense, drama and romance and keeps you turning the pages to see what happens next. I highly recommend this book. I received a copy from the author, but was not required to write a review. This is my honest opinion.
Terri Wangard
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Journey to the days of World War II with its myriad challenges for survival. Parents want to protect their children, even when they’re legally of age. England isn’t safe in 1939, and Abby Stapleton’s parents are determined to send her to America.

She arrives at her aunt and uncle’s estate in Pennsylvania. Aunt Val is abrasive and Abby doesn’t understand why. Her uncle is a dear, but his health is failing.

Abby meets Jim, whom her parents wouldn’t approve of. He’s a poor gardener on the estate. Unc

Phyllis
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Learning to bloom in times of trouble

My rating is 3.5 stars

Jim didn't feel that he had many talents, yet his skills as a gardener helped Abby's uncle transform his estate into a place of great beauty. I really liked Jim's humility, care for his mother, and his ability to enjoy life without worrying about what others thought about him. He was a little insecure, however. Then again, aren't most of us?

Abby was a little bit of a spoiled brat, at least at the beginning of the book. She sulked over he
Megan Hamsher
When Valleys Bloom Again by Pat Jeanne Davis
takes place during WWII, from 1939-1944,
mostly taking place in USA;
the beginning and ending in London,
and a few glimpses into Jim's soldier world are sprinkled throughout the book.

Abby Stapleton was sent by her parents from London, England
to live with her aunt and uncle in USA as war threatens Europe in 1939.
Over the course of the war, she learned to be a Ground Observer Corps member and a teacher ...
what a true home means ... and love.

Jim Wright
Lori
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. But then again I enjoy any historical book where I can learn new things about our past that I never knew about. I love how the author can make the past come alive for us readers.

Pat has done a remarkable job in doing her research and is a wonderful storyteller!

Jim and Abby are proof of that.

I love how Abby does things sometimes because she's just like me in that regard. I love her too for being a red head. After all, us redheads have to stick together!!

Jim is ok too. I thi
Pat
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a riveting World War II story that takes the reader back in time to a historic and horrific era. Abby Stapleton leaves her home in London to reside in the United States at the insistence of her father, who sees the dangers of impending war in Europe. She falls in love with Jim, an employee on her aunt and uncle’s estate, who is drafted into the U.S. Army and is sent to the battlefront. While Jim faces the peril of possible death, Abby is threatened with the loss of everything dear to her ...more
Deana Dick
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
This has been a wonderful story as the author takes us in the trenches of war during 1939. The details are so realistic that you could hear bombs going off as soldiers fight for freedom. I loved Abby and how much she cared for others. She has a big heart for children and finds herself in charge of what we consider a daycare. It was hard for her to be in America away from her parents that were still in London. The threat of danger surrounded her as she prayed her parents would stay safe.

Jim was a
Erin
Jun 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: celebrate-lit
What a story!

First, the cover captured me. It is wonderfully done and really made me want to read the book. Once I started the book I couldn’t put it down as it was just as wonderful as the cover.

Jim and Abby are wonderful characters who really draw you into them and make you think you’ve always known them. While Henri makes you love to hate him. That’s the best way to have a villain type character.

WWII is one of my favorite time periods to read about. It intrigues me and I can’t help but read
Fiction Aficionado
When Valleys Bloom Again is a story that sweeps almost the whole span of World War II, following Abby Stapleton as she’s sent to stay with relatives in America for the duration of the war. Over these years Abby encounters family tension, class tension, romance, revenge, loss, and all the other struggles that come with the uncertainty of war, and she learns to trust God’s leading and find her own way to serve, even in far-off America.

Pat Jeanne Davis’s writing gently evokes Abby’s world and makes
Donna C
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
What I think you should know:
When Valleys Bloom Again by Pat Jeanne Davis is a historical fiction novel set during World War II. Abby has led a privileged life as the daughter of a US Diplomat in London, however she has had her own private struggles. Her family sends her back to America against her wishes to move her away from the war. The book follows her as she grows to be a woman during WWII.

What I think about this book:
Davis has written a book that gracefully shows some of the harsh reali
Betti
May 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
A snippet out of life during WWII, this novel explores the feelings and frustration of young Abby Stapleton. A privileged young lady, sent to America against her wishes, she matures in the safe setting provided by her uncle and aunt.

The story introduces the reader to the social prejudices of that era with the idea that as a gardener Jim Wright isn’t a suitable companion for Abby. The ambivalence toward the ‘foreign squabble’ portrays the feelings of many American’s at that time. Unfortunately D
Debbie
May 31, 2020 rated it liked it
"WHEN VALLEYS BLOOM AGAIN" by PAT JEANNE DAVIS is a story about many things, WW11, relationships, struggling with faith and judging others because of their social status.

This book was hard for me to get into at first, Abby just seen to me not to be a strong person, whinning to her father. Her uncle was nice enough but he spoiled Abby and then her aunt , I didn't like her at all.

I did like that you got to read facts about the war from both America and England.

There is a fact that is mentioned in
Donna Schlachter
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When Valleys Bloom Again is a delightful tale of espionage, deceit, faith, and love set in America and England during World War 2. The author has created great characters I would love to spend more time with, particularly in Abby and Jim, who, despite the circumstances, persevered in their love for each other and their faith that God would work things out somehow. Readers of historical romance and World War 2 fiction will appreciate the historical accuracy of this story, and anybody looking for ...more
Lucy
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a great debut novel that delves into WWII and the hardships of all involved. From the home front to the battlefields it is a trial of faith and loyalties. The strength it took to send loved ones away for years while in the midst of war is almost incomprehensible. In the midst of chaos is the blooming love of Abby and Jim that strives to endure through sporadic letters. I found the characters worming their way into my heart. This story will take you from England to America to the beaches ...more
Abigail Harris
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-in-paperback
Hmm, a favorite era to read about with tropes different from most.

Most commonly I read WWII books set all in the warzone but "When Valleys Bloom" is not all set on a battlefield. Instead, it is about a girl who is sent home to America and a young man she meets.

I really like this story, more than I expected, and the romance is sweet. I didn't love all of the content, due to a bad guy but other than that I look forward to more from Pat Jeanne Davis, I would love it if she did a second book for "Wh
Lisa
When Valleys Bloom Again is a well-written romance. Pat Jeanne Davis has a writing style that is gentle and lyrical. Abby and Jim are very likable characters and easy to relate to. Their Christian faith, although tested, is naturally woven into the book. The plot is filled with twists and turns, but isn't rushed. I enjoyed this historical romance and would recommend it to clean and wholesome romance readers and to Christian romance readers. I received an ARC. I chose to write a review and share ...more
Emily Yager
Jun 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
An interesting story that takes place during most of WWII. I would have preferred if it had taken place during a shorter timeframe. Because some of the scenes felt rushed and just kind of brushed over briefly as we jump through time. It's well researched and the overall story line held my attention. I did enjoy the story and the plot line has a good deal going for it. The book balances suspense, the fear of loss, romance nicely within.
Barbara Schultz
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was a wonderful mix of a WW2 story from both the British and American views. The characters were drawn expertly, and the inner dialogue of each one described the tensions between them. I am looking forward to a follow-up novel.
I received a digital copy of this book from the editor, and a favourable review was not required.
Linda Davis
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Pat Jeanne Davis has written a well-researched story with vivid settings and memorable characters. I thoroughly enjoyed When Valleys Bloom Again and recommend it to lovers of historical fiction. To anyone who has yet to discover the pleasure to be found in historical fiction, this novel would be a good place to start.
Rebekah Haynes
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelley
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it

• The Green Dress (True Colors)
  • Storing Up Trouble (American Heiresses, #3)
  • A Lawman for Lisette (Willow Wood Brides #1)
  • The Lady and the Mountain Man  (Mountain Dreams, #1)
  • Kentucky Bride (North and South: Civil War Brides Book 8)
  • A Bride of Convenience (The Bride Ships, #3)
  • Lilah (Prairie Roses Collection, #5)
  • The Sugar Baron's Ring (The Leeward Islands, #3)
  • Secrets Resurfaced
  • Standoff (Natchez Trace Park Rangers #1)
  • Valley of Shadows (Valley Creek Redemption, #2)
  • Irish Encounter
  • Hadley Beckett's Next Dish
  • The Runaway Bride (The Bride Ships, #2)
  • A Gilded Lady (Hope and Glory, #2)
  • Pretending to Wed (Frontier Vows, #2)
  • At Love's Command (Hanger's Horsemen, #1)
  • The Story Hunter (The Weaver Trilogy, #3)
PAT JEANNE DAVIS has a keen interest in 20th Century United States and British history, particularly the period of World War II. Her longtime interest in that era goes back to the real-life stories she heard about family members who served during the war.

When Valleys Bloom Again is a debut inspirational romance set in WWII on the Philadelphia Main Line, in London and on Normandy.

She enjoys flowe