Start by marking “Please, Malese!: A Trickster Tale from Haiti” as Want to Read:
Please, Malese!: A Trickster Tale from Haiti

Please, Malese!: A Trickster Tale from Haiti

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  32 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Full of sly wit and the vibrant colors and rhythms of Haiti.

"My toes are suffering," says Malese as he stretches out in his hammock. "They need new shoes, that's what they need." Malese has not a penny to his name and nothing to trade, but does he worry? Not at all. His pockets may be empty, but his mind is full of clever ideas. It isn't long before he's thought up a trick
Published August 1st 2002 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published August 31st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Please, Malese!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Please, Malese!

Hannah McManus
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I wanted to give this book 5 stars for the GORGEOUS art and fun beats, but I don't really care for trickster stories where the con man wins, but it's a personal preference and doesn't reflect on the quality of the book itself, and this book is gorgeous nonetheless.
Erin Ramai
Please, Malese! A Trickster Tale from Haiti is appropriate for students in kindergarten through third grade. (However, some may take offense to the fact that he makes a rum cake by tricking people at the market into giving him rum; therefore, use your discretion.)

An end note to this book explains that in Haiti, the trickster is known as Malese, derived from the French "malice". Sometimes Malese is evil and sometimes he is mischievous, but above all, he enjoys taking advantage of people, includin
Carol Evans
Aug 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is just pure fun. The pictures are gorgeous, simply drawn but full of vibrant colors. Malese tricks his neighbors into giving him everything from shoes to rum for a cake. The end up throwing him in jail for a month, but of course Malese is pretty sly. By the end, not only is he out of jail, but his neighbors are fixing up his house for him—for free of course.

At first I thought it's kind of a shame that Malese never learns not to trick his friends and neighbors, but this is a traditiona
Karen
Jan 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: I don't recommend this book
Recommended to Karen by: library
This may be a cultural story from Haiti, but it is not what I would recommend for children. This man cons, steals, and fraudulently forces others to do his work for him. He is distrusted by all in the community. He is the picture of dishonesty and laziness. The story starts out with Malese lamenting the fact that he has no money. It doesn't take long to figure out why! He is allergic to work evidently. LOL

I was not liking this book by page 3, but we finished the whole book and then had a serious
Sung Baick
Feb 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: haiti
This is a fun trickster tale from Haiti. It's about a man who thinks of clever ways to get stuff for free. That doesn't sound like a book a teacher would want to read to a class but I think the kids will really enjoy it. The teacher would definitely have to explain along the way and make sure s/he tells the students that this is just a made-up story and we shouldn't do the things he is doing. I saw my teacher use this book for one of her read-alouds for a lesson on Haiti.
Vanessa Peavy
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
A trickster like you've never seen. I enjoyed reading this book and made me remember all the stories I heard when I was younger. Students would love reading this book and if not, at least looking at the beautiful and bright pictures. This book can be used teach to teach students right from wrong and use to teach folklore. You can also use this book for lessons on main idea, supporting details, inferences and sequence of events.

Grade: 3-4

Kevin Evans
Sep 28, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a good book to teach others that stealing is not the right thing to do. Malese goes around his village taking things he needs. Malese is a trickster, and the hope would be that the students would learn from his mistakes.
Callie Risse
Sep 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: folklore, trade-books
Malese is a trickster who can get anything he wants for free. When the people in town figure out that he has been tricking them, they decide to lock him up at punishment. Malese only tricks them again, though, and manipulates the people in town to fix his house for him.
Msjennifers Corner
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
A good trickster tale. The setting being Haiti is also nice. I wish the pictures were a little more my taste but art is subjective. A little long for little ones plus a little hard for the very young to understand what is happening.
Shunta
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I liked it this conniving fellow got everyone to do everything for him. He was smart and witty but still it was lazy and selfish of him.
Rita Varian
Jan 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Here is another Anansi-family story - it had me laughing out loud!
Dora
Aug 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
This was a fun book to read. I actually used one of the three stories as a math lesson to explore fractions.
Money Shaw
Brian
May 18, 2011
Elizabeth
Jan 31, 2010
Amy MacDonald is an American author of children's books. Her works include Little Beaver and the Echo, which has been translated into many languages around the world, and Rachel Fister's Blister. Her first book, a satire of Jill Krementz's children's books, was A Very Young Housewife.
More about Amy MacDonald...