Start by marking “What Happens Now?” as Want to Read:
What Happens Now?

What Happens Now?

‘No question about it, there are two little purple lines. I’m pregnant.’

After eight years together, Lil Bailey thought she’d already found ‘the one’—that is, until he dumped her for a blonde twenty-something colleague. So she does what any self-respecting singleton would do: swipes right, puts on her best bra and finds herself on a first date with a handsome mountaineer c
Published August 22nd 2019 by HQ

To ask other readers questions about What Happens Now?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Happens Now?

Start your review of What Happens Now?
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I've been on a pretty huge UK rom-com kick lately and this one definitely helped to scratch that itch! It isn't a new favorite, but it was a fun time and I would certainly read more from Sophia Money-Coutts in the future.

TW: complications with pregnancy, miscarriage, abortion, death of a loved one
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

I am so excited to be part of the Blog Tour for What Happens Now by Sophia Money-Coutts! Thank you to the team at HQ, for being so kind to send me a copy of this book!
Without further delays, let’s see what I thought…

What Happens Now by Sophia Money-Coutts is a wonderful story that features Lil, who is a normal lady, living a normal life. She thought she has found ”the one”, but after so many years, this fellow dumps her for a twenty-year old b
April (Aprilius Maximus)
3.5 stars!

trigger warnings: (view spoiler)

Special thanks to Harper Collins for the review copy!

T H E G O O D ->
- The main character is a teacher of young children which I could totally relate to!
- this book is HILARIOUS. Like, laugh-out-loud hilarious.
- loved the discussion on what makes a 'real' family
NZLisaM
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cheerful, witty, heart-warming chick-lit. ‘What Happens Now?’ will brighten your day.

4.5.

Lil Bailey has the perfect first date with charming, handsome, attentive Max Rushbrooke. So when he invites her back to his place, she doesn't hesitate.

The next day she sees Max on TV, and realises she slept with a famous mountaineer and guide, who's in line to be a Viscount, and whose family is loaded.

The trouble is he's ignoring her texts. Lil’s disappointed, but chalks it up to a memorable one-night stand
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
What Happens Now? was a fun, light read - in comparison to the serial killers that I normally read about. I was not expecting to get so caught up and attached to Lil and her friends but I did. I found myself rooting for her and wanting everything to work out for the best.

Lil Bailey is a young woman who has recently been dumped by the man that she thought was the One for her after 8 years. Jumping back into the dating world she makes a date with Max via a dating app. Max is a very good looking m
Jacqueline
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-arc

3am I put this down last night. 3am! And I love my sleep. I was completely engrossed in this, I couldn't put it down. I have been so grumpy today, but it was worth it.

I enjoyed the wit and the snark and the storyline kept me reading, long after I should've put my kindle down and gone to sleep.

Unusually for me, the romance was probably the least important part of this story; I was more invested in seeing how Lily adapts and grows -literally as well as emotionally - when she finds herself
Debbie
May 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lil Bailey thought she had found her forever partner but eight years later, he leaves her someone else. While her life is ok with her tiny apartment and stable role as a teacher, she wants more. Lil finally gets back to dating and runs into handsome Max and things are looking up. But after a night together Max ghosts her and to make matters worse, she finds out she is pregnant.

While the blurb gives more away, I think its best going into this not knowing. What follows in the story is a fun tale
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
What Happens Now? is the latest hilarious rom com from British author Sophia Money-Coutts. A book that delves into the modern dating world, first date mistakes, life changing circumstances, friendships and family, the second novel from Sophia Money-Coutts is a bubbly romp from start to finish.

Nursing a broken heart after the demise of an eight year relationship, Lil Bailey delves into the online dating world in attempt to get over her ex. She lines up a date
konstantina avouri
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
their chemistry??? non existent
SallyB
Jan 20, 2021 added it
Dnf at chapter 1. When it jumps into a detailed gymnastic sex scene in the 1st chapter, I was bored already. I dont care what he did with his you know what and what position she was in and what he did next. And it went on forever because mc kept jumping from present to tidbits of her life. Sorry
It's not you, it's me. At least with a book, I can skim but the crappy thing about audiobooks is that they can hold you for ransom to things you wanna unlearn. Ex. Mc references her amazing bra that's li
jess ✨
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Rating: 2.5 stars

Writing reviews about a book that wasn't really all that bad, but still disappointing is hard. This is one of them. I was excited to read "What Happens Now?", I might be one of the rare people that enjoys pregnancy trope (even though I don't want kids irl, how ironic), I thought this would be a fun and cute read and to some extent it was.

I did chuckle a couple of times, it was a very easy and light read but can't say I'm impressed or that in two months I'll remember much of thi
Kris - My Novelesque Life
RATING: 1 STAR
DNF @15%

What Happens Now? started out pretty good. I liked the main character, Lil, and the British wit (think modern Bridget Jones). I empathized, and related too well, to Lil's situation of online dating after a break up with a long-term partner. I was still happily listening when Lil goes on her first date with Max, that turns into sex at his place. When she wakes up, Max isn't there and continues to ghost her. Then boom, there is a wench in the plan when Max appears on TV and w
Meegz Reads
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-paperback
*4.5 Stars*

ARC kindly received from Harlequin Aus in exchange for an honest review.

This book was so much better than I expected it to be. It sounded interesting from the blurb, but when you actually start reading it, you discover that the characters are fun, and whilst the story-line is serious, the book is written in just the right way to make it a bit more light and fluffy.

I really enjoyed reading this one, and was truly unsure how things would turn out between Lil and Max. We don't actual
Julia
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What Happens Now? By Sophia Money-Coutts is a very upbeat contemporary novel about the highs and lows of pregnancy. I really enjoyed this honest look at life through the eyes and mind of a single thirty one year old named Lil.
The book opens with a pregnancy test and ends after delivery. The reader ‘travels’ the nine months with Lil. We see her take on situations as she asks the questions all mums-to-be want to ask. Written in the first person the reader becomes intimately acquainted with Lil. I
Brooklyn Tayla
A huge thank you to Harper Collins for sending me a proof of this to read and review - I loved it! I finished it in one sitting. Review to come upon Australian Publication Date!
Brandy
Nov 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brit-chick-lit at its best. Super cute story and audio narration by the author was very good!
Kelsey
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library, contemporary
Another chick lit, not romance.

The blurb makes it sound like this book is a romance novel, but to me, a romance novel has the central plot as, well, the romance. Whereas chick lit focuses on a journey a woman takes, of a sort. Romance included, but not the main plot. At least, that's how I've always interpreted the genres.

Which means this book is chick lit. And full of British pop culture references. If that's your cup of tea, read away.
Umaymah
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I think I started this book and stayed on chapter 2 for over a month. Well I picked it up this morning and I could not do anything else until I finished it. This is a thorough 5 star read. I can say I finished it in one sitting because I just got up for occasional breaks.

What do you do when you're getting over an 8 year relationship, when the love of your life has moved on to someone younger and more beautiful? You get a dating app and try to find someone out there to shake you out of crying jag
Karina
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars... really enjoyed this!
Amanda
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy story to delve right into. Kept my interest.
Kailey (Kathryn is looking for me)
It was fine, not my favorite book, but it had its moments.

I have no idea in the slightest how this is supposedly a great beach read. (Excuse me, poolside.) And the chapters were SO. FREAKING. LONG. I literally timed myself reading a few different ones and they took 20 minutes MINIMUM. Am I just not as fast a reader as I think I am?

Aaannnnddddd.... I kinda think she should've just skipped the sex scenes. Obviously an important bit considering the plot of the book, but I just thought they were...
Marie
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the start of this book I thought that maybe I'd made a mistake requesting it. I was looking for something light-hearted and this seemed to fit my requirements.

I didn't love the first few chapters, the characters were annoying and the details the author went into during the sex scene were unnecessary.

After my initial reservations I found myself warming to the characters particularly Lil, I liked reading about her interactions with family and friends and her job as a teacher.

I liked the no hold
Tiffany
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was meh. The main character Lil was underwhelming and a bit boring really. Max was also underdeveloped. I mean the guy was a mountain climber and he made me yawn. Wtf? In general this fell flat. I found myself skimming in a few places. But what really got me fucking irritated was the ending, I mean this just ends like in mid conversation. Seriously!? Maybe things will turn out, maybe they won't. How about this; you're the fucking author and this is a rom-com and it's your job to finish thin ...more
Chelsea
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
For me this is 4.5 stars because I wanted an epilogue. Other than that I really enjoyed this book.
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
Copy received from Harper Collins Australia for an honest review

I was intrigued by the blurb of What Happens Now?, but I wasn't really sure what to expect. I mean, the surprise baby has been done over and over, what could be new, right?

From the minute I started reading, I knew that this was going to be different for me. The story isn't different to a lot of books out there, however the story telling was wonderful, and I wanted to keep reading. I was reading this story in my lunch breaks at work,
Jessica
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Absolutely fantastic!! Had me laughing the whole way through.
Jodie- Readthewriteact
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a brilliant rom com that had me laughing from the first chapter. Pretty much if an f bomb is dropped in chapter one I and caught hook line and sinker. So many good characters in this book. Loveable friends, co worker but for me Lils step dad probably takes the cake. What a beautiful man! This is a brilliant read and you would be crazy not read it if you are a romance lover.
AJ
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lol, arc, pb-i-own, steamy
4 hilarious stars

This book is such a fun read! A laugh-out-loud story about a woman who finds herself pregnant after a one-night-stand, and the hilarity that ensues as she juggles her job, her friends and family, and her world-exploring baby daddy with the no-holds-barred wonders of pregnancy and impending motherhood.

31-year-old Lil is moving on after being dumped by her boyfriend of 8 years, and after 6 months of being single, she’s meeting up with a guy she met on a dating app. She and Max spe
Rose
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m giving my first read of the year a 3 stars. Hope that doesn’t set a precedent.

Y’know what, I quite liked this book. It was no Mhairi McFarlane or Sara Manning, but it was light and funny and the perfect palate cleanser between genres.

Character wise, I really liked Lil. She was so strong and independent and she didn’t take other peoples shit, but she was kind about it. I loved the friendships she had made and nurtured and the way she approached everyone and every scenario with an open mind.
Liz Whitehouse
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you ever read a book and think it is brutally honest? Yeah, I thought it was quite rare too. What Happens Now? is an exploration into the complexity of human relationships and emotion. It tackles complex situations with tact and humour and is a wonderful example of a book hooking you in on one level and opening your eyes on another.

The basic premise of the story is one that has been explored in the chick lit/rom-com world before: girl meets boy on date, they hook up, few weeks later she find

• The First Date
  • If I Never Met You
  • In Case You Missed It
  • No, We Can't Be Friends
  • Our Stop
  • Just As You Are
  • The Light in the Hallway
  • Secrets and Seashells at Rainbow Bay
  • Criss Cross (Alex Cross Book, #27)
  • The Minute I Saw You
  • The Christmas Holiday
  • The Little Gift Shop on the Loch
  • When I Lost You: Searing police drama that will have you hooked
  • The Lying Room
  • Best Friends Forever
  • The Friend Zone (The Friend Zone, #1)
  • The Eclair Affair