Start by marking “Fallen (Alex Verus #10)” as Want to Read:
Fallen (Alex Verus #10)

Fallen

(Alex Verus #10)

For Mage Alex Verus, everything is on the line in the tenth urban fantasy novel from the national bestselling author of Marked.

Once Alex Verus was a diviner trying to live quietly under the radar.  Now he's a member of the Light Council who's found success, friends...and love. But it's come with a price—the Council is investigating him, and if they find out the truth, he'l
Published September 24th 2019 by Ace

Start your review of Fallen (Alex Verus #10)
Bradley
Every time I hear about a new Benedict Jacka book, I fall all over myself with joy and anticipation. When I finally read them, I'm in awe.

Let me be clear, this is some of the most fun Urban Fantasy I've ever come across. It's smart, things fall apart so spectacularly, and the basic nature of Verus's magic always makes me crave more. Diviner magic? What's so good about that? :) Oh, searching multiple futures where you get what you want, on the fly, and then do stuff like walking through a room fu
Phrynne
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great series which just got even better. I have loved Alex Verus and his magic powers since book one but here in book 10 no less, the author has taken him on a huge leap in a different direction.

At last Alex has realised you cannot always be a good guy when you are up against the baddies. It took losing a special person to make him turn but turn he did, and how! We discover just how good a power divination is when coupled with a few other factors. One of the scenes towards the end of t
Robin (Bridge Four)
I think that anyone who has read a book in this series gets that Alex is a Fencey (dude that hasn’t picked a side). Just like in politics the independent rarely wins the race, they just don’t have enough backing. Well if you haven’t guessed by the title Alex is about to get kicked off that fence and fall face first into some hard decisions.

description

Fallen follows the pacing of other books in this series where the first half is just the day to day meanderings of a mage until BAM-WHACK-CRACK something horr
Emma
Oct 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

Looks like Verus is done pissing about.
Maja Ingrid
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fuuuuuck me this was way way too short!

I thought this book would ruin me, just shatter me and then spread my pieces and set them on fire. But I'm actually fully intact. Some beloved characters left (but they are okay which is all that matters to me) and there was also fond reunions which had me in a sobbing mess (the character leaving and the one coming back were in same chapter and both are my faves so).

Also the pace is racing quick. From when shit started to go down the book would not let anyo
Beth
What advice would I give to someone who just picked up Fallen, the eleventh book in the Alex Verus Series? Hold onto your seats, you are about to take ONE AMAZING LITERARY RIDE!

Alex has come to the breaking point, he’s managed to stay neutral through out the past 10 installments but sometimes black and white mix and you get a whole lot of gray! And it doesn’t seem like either side, the black or white council, have the answers.

Jacka pens a masterfully written Urban Fantasy, and you all know I lov
Minx
Fallen is the tenth book in the Alex Verus series and what happens in this story will take this series in a totally new direction! For years Mage Alex Verus has fought against his inner urges and has tried to maintain a neutral stance between the Light and Dark Mages. He has always had zero interest in politics and even less interest in infighting. Unfortunately, despite all of this, he always seemed to be at the center of political machinations and power struggles but lately things have calmed ...more
Lindsay
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
If you're ten books into a series then you should understand what you're getting. Political machinations between two different groups of mages while our protagonist tries to float along doing the right thing and keeping himself and the people around him alive by being clever. Alex Verus has survived for a long time and risen quite high by being reactive to the events around him. This book finally puts him in a situation where this just isn't possible any more.

This very much feels like we're work
Emma
Oct 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Action doesn’t get much more exciting than this and with some major changes in attitude too. The title is very apt too. Alex and Anne are definitely on a new trajectory and all the possible futures look bright for fans of this series.
Steve Naylor
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rating 4.0 stars

When I was reading the first half of this book I was upset. The same problems I had noticed in the previous few books were popping up again. Nothing was happening. Or more to the point, Alex kept getting dealt blow after blow and never seemed ready for it. Come on, he's a damn diviner and has known that the council is after him and that Richard is after Anne. We have known that for the last 4 books (at least), and yet again he is surprised and unprepared when something happens?
RG
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pure fun!!
Charlie
One of the best Alex Verus books by far, they just keep getting better. It was both heartbreaking and exciting to see Alex go dark.

I really enjoyed dark Alex, he's formidable in a way he never was before and it's not about the magic. I'm afraid for anyone that's ever crossed him. He and Anne are a powerhouse.

I'm so excited for the next installment.
Tim The Enchanter
A well deserving 5 Stars

I generally don't have much to say about about a book when its 10 deep into the series. As with the novels before, the Author has shown steady growth in the series and in his writing skills. The series started out average and is now at the point where each new book is "can't miss".

That said, the series was at a point where some changes were needed. Alex Verus and he merry band of misfits needed a shake up. The story arc needed some divergence or risk getting stale. It see
Jason
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2020
5 Stars

Fallen was another great addition to a new favorite series of mine. I am a huge fan of all things urban fantasy and this is a series not to be missed. Alex is amazing and the series gets better and better with each new story.

My favorite of the series so far.
Loved it.
Wulf Krueger
Let me state clearly where I stand when it comes to Alex Verus: I think he’s the greatest Urban Fantasy protagonist ever.

I’ve enjoyed every single book in the series and I enjoyed this latest instalment as well – just not as much as most of the others, unfortunately.

Why though? The trademark humour is there, Luna is there and so are Anne, Variam, Arachne and others. Sadly, they mostly take a place on the backseat this time.

Luna barely gets any serious “stage” time; she’s generally around and
☕️Kimberly
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-2020
Where to begin? Alex has always wanted neutrality, and it hasn’t done him a lot of good. In fact, he has enemies on both sides. He has tried being a Keeper, and a member on the council, and for what? No one trusts him, everyone uses him, and every time we turn around someone is attempting to kill him.!

Alex has had enough as the consequences of his actions come crashing down on him. To save his friends, particularly Anne, he needs to be powerful. The tale that unfolds was intense and well written
Baal Of
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loaded-pizza
Holy shit that was great. I woke up at midnight with a bit of insomnia, and opened this book up in my Kindle. I was at 52% complete so I though I might read a couple chapters and hopefully be ready to go back to sleep. Instead I finished it at 2:30 AM cause I just plain didn't want to stop reading. I had an inkling that this volume was going to bring some serious changes, but damn I didn't expect what happened. Having Alex finally go full-bore was magnificent. The battle when Alex finally confro ...more
Mick
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Another fast-paced and action-paced installment

This was the best Alex Verus book so far.

In some of the books in this series Jacka has raised the stakes through plot devices that to me caused minor losses of the suspension of disbelief.

This time the stakes are raised through good use of the major and minor characters of earlier books and removing the plot armour from most of them.

We have entered the endgame as this book catches up with all characters and their current loyalties. We are getting
THE BIBLIOPHILE (Rituranjan)
An excellent installment that heralds the ending storyarc of the series, and it does so in an explosive blast that rattles the plot, the characters, and the bloody action which makes it so thrilling. I enjoyed this a lot. This is in fact the book that balances the darker and lighthearted fun aspect of the series, and also twists the characters into new personalities, and also adding depth to the motives and intentions.

The most notable part was the changes in Anne and Alex, and their relationship
Drka
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had this sitting around in my borrowed pile for a week or so before I began to listen, which says something about the way I felt after finishing No 9in the series. Listening to the first half I began to think that we were going to be taken over the same old, same old plot line that had so disenchanted me in the last couple of novels about Alex Verus and his mage friends. Looking like another 2.5-3 rating.
Then, Bam! Off it went and I was delighted to listen to Alex finally ceasing being 'the ni
Lori S.
Verus finally does what he should have done before. Now, we'll see what we'll see. ...more
Kathy Davie
Apr 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Tenth in the Alex Verus urban fantasy series and revolving around a diviner who isn't accepted by the Light or the Dark. The focus is on Alex trying to rescue Anne.

My Take
Oh. Boy. We meet the relatives who took Anne in when she lost her family. Oh. Boy. What a nightmare bunch of people. They appear to have treated Anne as the in-house servant and nurse. And I wish we had spent more time with them as I really enjoyed how Alex put them down. You go, baby, lol.
"People are so focused on the establis
Linda Baker
Fallen starts out with Diviner Mage Alex Verus in a pretty good place. He is working for the Light Council, and his friends appear to be safe. His determined neutral stance in the conflict between the Light and Dark Mages seems to be working at last. The lull will not last, of course, because of his association with Richard Drakh as a young man. The Light Council will never trust him. Drakh continues to try to bring his girlfriend, Anne, and Alex back under his control and overthrow the Council ...more
Jason Wrench
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to thank the publisher for allowing me to read this book prior to its release. I love reviewing books, but the publisher's generosity does not impact my review.

With that said, I'm a HUGE Benedict Jacka fan and have read the entire series of books, which are just amazing if you're into urban fantasy like me. Without giving too much away, the book starts pretty much where the previous book ended. And of course, the council quickly finds out that Alex had been protecting Anne and that Anne (
Shannon Appelcline
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
The Alex Verus books have been pretty constantly about change. Nothing stays the same: not Alex, not his place in the world of wizards, not the position of his friends and fellows, and not the status of his foes. So it should be no surprise that as we move into the final books of this series, we see some of the biggest changes yet.

The problem is: I'm really not sure I like the Alex who emerges from this crucible, and that can be pretty deadly for a series.

Nonetheless, this is an exciting, intrig
Penny
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the tenth book in this series, and as with the others, it’s a wild ride. If you’ve made it to this point in the series, I don’t need to touch too much on the characters or plot, because you will know most of it all already. If you haven’t read the series and are thinking of starting here, don’t. Go start at the beginning. On to this book, it is a little bit darker in tone to the other ones, and Alex is finding that he needs to do things he doesn’t want to do to save himself, his friends, ...more
Soo
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Notes:
Mild mixed feelings about the events in this book. I liked how Jacka connects the dots but it doesn't always come across as a natural progression. The overall book was better from start to finish but I thought there was a disconnect between Alex & his actions/feelings.
Dahrose
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My first 2.5 star rating for this author and one of their books. Over the years I have very much enjoyed this series. It has layers, it can be light, amusing, dark and heavy with unexpected deaths or betrayal. It is also creative with excellent world building that is immersive.
Over the past few books Alex, our Hero, has been perhaps a little too passive. But in this book he steps up... way, way up to the plate. I'm not sure if the sheer extremes of the character are required - he could have bee
Mark Harrison
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
High quality addition to this series as Verus loses everything he cares for, gets hunted by all sides in the Mage war and finally embraces the darkness to try and rescue his best friend. Dark, violent and very good.
Will
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 / 5 ✪

Fallen is the tenth entry in the Alex Verus series, and while the story has definitely taken a darker turn, the future of the series has never looked so bright. Or, y’know, the final two books or so.

It took me roughly two days to read this—admittedly short novel—in which time I didn’t get much else done of value. I devoured Fallen like a Hawaiian pizza, digging through its bones (pizza bones) in the time it usually takes me to start getting into a s
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Fallen [Jun 13, 2019] 33 87 Dec 21, 2019 04:47PM

• Battle Ground (The Dresden Files, #17)
  • Peace Talks (The Dresden Files, #16)
  • False Value (Rivers of London, #8)
  • Dead Things (Eric Carter #1)
  • Ghost Money (Eric Carter #5)
  • The Locust Job (Daniel Faust, #9)
  • Ballistic Kiss (Sandman Slim, #11)
  • Hungry Ghosts (Eric Carter, #3)
  • Sorcery Reborn (The Rebellion Chronicles #1)
  • Broken Souls (Eric Carter, #2)
  • What Abigail Did That Summer (Rivers of London, #5.3)
  • Ink & Sigil (Ink & Sigil, #1)
  • Death Unleashed (The Rebellion Chronicles, #2)
  • The Unkindest Tide (October Daye, #13)
  • Fire Season (Eric Carter #4)
  • Horsemen's War (The Rebellion Chronicles, #3)
  • Right to the Kill (Harmony Black, #5)
  • Tales from the Folly: A Rivers of London Short Story Collection (Rivers of London #1.5, 1.6, 4.6, 5.65, 6.5)

Alex Verus (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Fated (Alex Verus, #1)
  • Cursed (Alex Verus, #2)
  • Taken (Alex Verus, #3)
  • Chosen (Alex Verus, #4)
  • Hidden (Alex Verus, #5)
  • Veiled (Alex Verus, #6)
  • Burned (Alex Verus, #7)
  • Bound (Alex Verus, #8)
  • Marked (Alex Verus, #9)
  • Forged (Alex Verus, #11)

News & Interviews

“If this is how you guys run your ops,’ Kyle said, ‘I’m starting to seriously wonder how you’re still alive.” 2 likes
“Sorry, Sarque. Well, actually, I’m not sorry at all. I’d say it was nothing personal, but it really is.” 1 likes