Start by marking “The Monster's Lover (Fenris, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Monster's Lover (Fenris, #1)

The Monster's Lover

(Fenris #1)

Promised to cruel King Nøkkyn’s harem, Sol Eriksen is out of options, and nearly out of time.

When she meets a distractingly handsome stranger in the Ironwood Forest who claims to be a legendary monster, Sol thinks he must be a madman, or a demon. She knows she shouldn’t listen to him. Or trust him. And she should not, under any circumstances, kiss him again.

As King Nøkky
Published January 15th 2019 by Vestal Valley Press

To ask other readers questions about The Monster's Lover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Monster's Lover

Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
thumbnail_The Monster's Lover Banner

This was a relatively short fantasy read that I really adored.
Usually, in novella length romance stories, I feel a lack of connection in regards to the unfolding authenticity of the feeling: here I had no such dilemma and though not long at all I felt this packed a heavy punch for its small weight.
Set in the fictional world of the nine realms (think of the Marvel film franchise Thor) Sol Eriksen has been promised to the harem of the cruel King Nøkkyn.
After her father's death, her mother unable t
Monique
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 'Very promising start of the series' stars

Of all the Loki's monstrous children, I've always felt most sorry for Fenrir. I mean, let's see - Hel got the entire underworld kingdom, Jormungand got the entire ocean to swim, and as far as I know, Sleipnir had a fine life as well. Only poor Fenrir was hideously tricked to be bound. Poor little wolf, he was just a cub then.

I was so happy to hear that Samantha decided to give him a proper HEA. At least I assume he'll get it. This novella-size story is
Lori C
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: norse-myths
“You’ll be safe under the trees,” Da had told us, his voice rough and his eyes dark. “You kids belong to the Ironwood. They’ll never find you in here.”

This is everything that could be wanted from a mythological romance. It's dark, it's magical, it's sexy, it gives a strong sense of time and place, fantastic pacing. I already preorderd the second book!

Also, the cover art is gorgeous, if you were wondering about it not being on this site.
Natalie Hanley
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Monster’s lover (The Fenris series book one) is a fantasy romance & wow this was a firecracker of a book. A world away from the sort of book I normally read, this fantasy novel really lit a fire in me and I will definitely be delving into this genre again. With descriptive writing and imaginative characterisation, this will appeal to anyone who enjoys historical or legendary fantasy.
Sol is the only daughter in an impoverished family and finds herself promised to evil King Nøkkyn. While w
Angela
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

The Monster’s Lover is the first book in the Fenris series by Samantha MacLeod. This is a great fantasy, with paranormal elements, and based on the Norse Myth of Fenrir- the monstrous wolf. This story has plenty of drama, action, adventure, and romance. There is so much to like about this complex, well developed storyline. It is a captivating read right from the very first page- and I loved the author’s spin on mythology.
As with all her other books, Ms. MacLeod spins a wonderfully comple
teacupsandunicorns
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This was short and cute!
I really liked the mythology in this.

Even if you don’t like erotica, you can skip over those parts and enjoy the Norse mythology.

Sol meets these famous beings and doesn’t believe they’re the children of Loki, so she treats them like regular people, which is really funny and charming. Then she finds out they’re really powerful beings, but then realizes they’re still regular people despite having powers and abilities.

I didn’t know this was erotica. I just thought it was
Tracy Wilkin
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Monster's Lover is book one in the The Fenris series by Samantha MacLeod. A first read for me, I could not wait to sink into it. It is a thrill to find new and exciting authors.

Monsters, mayhem and madness pursue Sol in her quest for happiness. Promised to an awful king, she is desperate for a way to get out of being with him. Enter the mystery of Fenris. She is unsure of him, and of how he makes her feel.

An energetic, action packed adventure full of danger, drama and intrigue. A highly in
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read about obligations. Sol is a young woman from a poor family who is forced to be sold off to King Nokkyn at harvest so they don't starve. But when she meets a ethereal beauty of a man in the forest, she can't help but loose herself. But as time begins to run out, will she choose love over duty?
A great read. Well developed plot with twists and turns that I just couldn't put down. Well developed characters like Sol trying to keep going deposited it all or Fenris as strong and sure but w
Leslie
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A true fairy tale

Take one poor, but beautiful, farm girl, add one shape-shifting hunk, mix well in an enchanted forest.... add a crippled mother and an evil king for spice and texture... and there you have it... a steaming love story of epic proportions. Serve hot!
Madison Degraffenreid
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019read
The Monster’s Lover, Book One in The Fenris Series by Samantha MacLeod

5-Stars

The Monster's Lover by Samantha Macleod features the Fenris wolf from Norse mythology. He is one of the main characters as well as his lover Sol. We meet Sol at the start of the novel when she is basically sold to King Nokkyn to make up for her family's failure to meet their quota. She is given until the reading before she will be added to the Kings harem. I hated that she would have to face this and how her mother beg
Erica Fish
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Monster’s Lover by Samantha MacLeod is an excellent addition to the books I have read by Ms. MacLeod. This story has a mythological component that makes me even more interested in the story. This tale is based on the Norse Myth of Fenir, which is about a monstrous wolf. Not only are there mythological components, but also fantasy, action adventure and a little romance thrown in. Ms. MacLeod has complex story pattern that reminds me of a spider’s web. Everything is so interconnected that not ...more
Kelly
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-2-blog, favs
Another lovely spin on Norse mythology

I’ve loved everything I’ve read by this author and she continues to amaze as she gives us another story based on Norse mythology, this time about Loki’s son, Fenris, the great wolf and the monster of the title. Note this is a complete novella length story, no cliffhanger.

I was quickly invested in Sol and my heart hurt for her when the only way for her family to survive is for her to become part of King Nøkkyn's harem—the king is definitely a character in the
Susan Otto
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing and unusual story about mythology

The book is about Fennis, a huge wolf from Norse mythology and a poor human girl. She has been sold to a cruel King to be a sex slave to pay her family's tithe or taxes for the year. Her family consists of a mother and two brothers besides herself. She hate the idea of being sold to the king, but her family would starve this winter.

She runs away from the villagers who mock her for her family's decision. She finally meet a man named Fennis giving hersel
Sierra
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was so steamy, I devoured it exactly as I knew I would. I loved Sol and can see how much potential she has to grow as a character as the series develops. And Fenris is just super endearing. You can’t possibly not love him! My only struggle was the physical/sexual violence against Sol from the king. That along with her family’s nonchalance at passing her off were hard for me to swallow.

Bring on Book 2!
Coco.V
Jan 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (6/24/2019)! 🎁
Tina Williams
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Spellbinding Erotic Fantasy
Samantha Macleod has done it again! The Monster’s Lover is one smoking hot adult fantasy, complete with feisty heroine, a handsome stranger and an evil king. The action takes place in the mysterious Ironwood Forest where Norse legends abound…
At the centre of the story is the relationship between Sol and Fenris, a man who is so unlike the other men in Sol’s community that she refers to him as a demon. However, Sol is promised to another, the King, a man for whom she ha
Erin
Feb 06, 2019 added it
I give The Monster's Lover (The Fenris Series Book 1) by Samantha MacLeod, 4 stars.

Sol's family cannot afford to pay the king this season. So they do what they can to survive -- the king is willing to take Sol into his harem and their debts will be erased. Sol does not have a choice in the matter, it's the only way her family can survive. Her mother keeps saying that at least she will be well fed and warm all winter, but Sol knows better. The king is a cruel, evil man. With what little time she
Amelia
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Samantha MacLeod has created an extremely fascinating mythological story packed with innovative scenarios and interesting characters. Taking details from Norse folklore, the author brings individuals to life and has them facing some very difficult challenges. The Fenris series begins with a story about a woman whose life is filled with hardship, and the unexpected way in which she receives some cheering relief. I was immediately immersed with every harrowing incident that arose in the book, whil ...more
Laura Furuta
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Monster's Lover (The Fenris Series Book 1)
By: Samantha MacLeod
5 out of 5 stars

The story The Monster's Lover (The Fenris Series Book 1) by Samantha MacLeod is a fantasy/romance book. It is a story that I loved reading and I couldn’t get enough of the romance and mystery. I loved reading about the character of Sol Eriksen. She is a girl who has been promised to a cruel king. She is a character that I found myself caring about and wishing for her happiness. Sol meets a stranger who calls himse
Bubbles The Book Pimp
Short and sweet fantasy/mythological romance.

With the unfortunate death of her father, Sol’s family of lumberjacks have no way of meeting their quota of trees for the notorious King Nokken..with little in the way of money her remaining family of mother, brother and younger brother have no option but to offer Sol in payment.

With a bargain struck and a sad life ahead of her as a despised kings mistress Sol can only dread until the day comes for her to leave with the king.... and being abused by v
E.A.
The Monster's Lover (The Fenris Series Book 1) by Samantha MacLeod was a hot, steamy, fast read, that had me hooked!

Not my first read dorm this author, so I expect good things.. if you know what I mean.."wink, wink"..

Right away I was pulled into this new world and I didn't want to leave. Sure, is there insta-lust, an unrealistic hot male MC, and a overly gorgeous female MC that everyone wants... yes, but hell, none of that matters. Why? Because the writing was phenomenal. For a short read at 1
Tracy Antonelli Manderson
The Monster's Lover by Samantha MacLeod
4 out of 5 stars
The Monsters Lover in the first book in the The Fenris Series written by Ms. MacLeod and it the first book that I have read by this author.. This story is about hardship, sacrifices, and love. The story started out slow but once u got into it, it was great. The characters are will written and there is a depth to Sol that wanted me to keep reading. The descripton of the background was vibrant and colorful.
Sol Eriksen’s family has fell on hard
Lisa
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ibbb-year-3
The Monster’s Lover
By Samantha MacLeod
Rated 4 stars

This is a nice story. A little heavy on the sexy times. I felt the story was strong enough that a few of those could have been tapered down. I liked the theme going through the book. Family struggle, fairy tales and “what are we going to do now” scenes. I wish we could have seen a few chapters from Fenris’ point of view. He is kind of an enigma and remained that way. I thought he was interesting and wondered how he came to be and what happened t
Anastasia
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in the Fenris series and is an interesting fast paced read.
When Sol's father dies in a logging accident in the woods, her family is left with HUGE financial troubles. With no way of meeting the king's lumber quota, Sol is offered to the king as payment for the family's debt.
With only weeks left of freedom, Sol tries to make the best of her time left and helps around her family's land as best as she can. In the woods not too far from her house she meets a mystery man calle
Anna Hirsch
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Monster’s Lover by Samantha MacLeod
4 Stars

This is a short book steeped in Norse Mythology. I love when books spin tales of gods within their pages. Sol Erikson comes from a poor family and to pay the tax to the king, her family gives her over to him. She must join the King’s harem at the Reaping so time is running out for her. While wandering the Ironwood Forest, she meets a stranger who claims to be a legendary monster. All she sees is a man too handsome to be human therefore he must be a
Lorena
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Monster’s Lover is the first book in Samantha MacLeod’s new Fenris series. This is a steamy historical romance loosely based on Norse mythology.

I would guess that this is more a novella than a full novel. We get to know our heroine, Sol, reasonably well, but we do not get to know Fenris as well as I would have preferred in this book, and King Nøkkyn appears to be a rather one-dimensional villain. The book presents a complete story with no cliffhanger ending, but many questions remain unansw
Space Cowgirl
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
True Love's Tale💞

Medieval Alpha Wolf🐺 Fantasy , Romance💕, and Adventure🏰

Sol💃, a young peasant woman, is promised to an evil 👑King when her poor family has no other way to pay their taxes. The 👑King will collect her when harvest is over.
In the meantime she meets a beautiful young man in the forest, and falls in 💘love.

The man calls himself Fenris🐺, the Viking wolf, but Sol💃💋 just wants to be with him as the days count down to the 👑King's taking possession of her.

ARC Received from Hidden 💎Gems.
I a
Heather
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Monster's Lover (The Fenris Series Book 1) by Samantha MacLeod is an intriguing story built upon mythological tales. The author laid out the sequences and anticipation in the story with finesse and talent. This story was an easy read that couldn't be put down. Sol's tale and choices are difficult, but she follows herself without regret. However, the question lies where do those choices take her. She's been promised to King Nøkkyn and it's far from what she desires from her life. She must dec ...more
Julia Red Hatter Book Blog
The Monster's Lover kept me glued to my kindle. It was so good! From the mythology to the romance to the feeling of freedom and love, I couldn't put this book down! Sol captured my heart. Beautiful by genes and wanting much more out of life than to be sold off to the cruel king as his whore. When an encounter with a handsome guy in the woods leads to an infatuation, Sol decides to live her last free days as free as she could.

Fenrir slowly woos Sol, and you really can't help but like him. He's p
Caralee
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Monster's Lover (The Fenris Series Book One) By Samantha Macleod
5 Stars!!!!!

I was in supernatural heaven. I really love books with Nordic legends. This book was quite a refreshing read. I like how the author was able to bring the characters to life. The pages just melted one right into the other and I couldn't put this book down.

I felt that the pull between Sol and Fenris was indeed magical. I really felt myself going through the emotions with Sol. I found myself at the edge of my seat to fi
« previous 1 3 next »

Fenris (5 books)
  • The Monster's Wife (Fenris, #2)
  • The Monster and the Prisoner (Fenris, #3)
  • The Monster Chained (Fenris, #4)
  • The Monster Freed (Fenris #5)