Start by marking “The Survival of Molly Southbourne (Molly Southbourne, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Survival of Molly Southbourne (Molly Southbourne, #2)

The Survival of Molly Southbourne

(Molly Southbourne #2)

Tade Thompson returns to his "bloody exploration of identity and self in a changed world" (Publishers Weekly) in The Survival of Molly Southbourne.

Who was Molly Southbourne? What did she leave behind?

A burnt-out basement. A name stained in blood. Bodies that remember murder, one of them left alive. A set of rules that no longer apply.

Molly Southbourne is alive. If she wa

Published July 9th 2019 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about The Survival of Molly Southbourne, please sign up.
ꪑꪖᦔꫀꪶ꠸ꪀꫀ
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Survival of Molly Southbourne (Molly Southbourne, #2)
Sara
The Murders of Molly Southbourne was one of my favourite novellas, so on learning there was going to be a sequel I was really excited, and intrigued, as to how the story could be continued given the rather definitive ending. This picks up the action right where it finished, and doesn’t let go until the very last word. It’s full on, bringing a range of emotions and fights, so the reader feels completely consumed by Molly and her ongoing battle with life.

Scattered throughout the short chapters ar
K.J. Charles
A terrific sequel to the bloody and violent The Murders of Molly Southbourne, extending the exceedingly weird and haunting world with a lot of bleakness but this time just a slight glimmer of hope to lighten it.

Very well written, and as you can tell from the fact that I glommed it over lunchtime on publication day, really compelling stuff. Perfectly paced too. A great pair of examples of how to do the novella form.
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Tor.com for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

I am mucho confuzzled.

Oh wait... it's a sequel

But you know what? I'll try this anyway!

But when I turned the last page...

You guys I made an attempt to understand this book and it kinda worked but I recommend reading the first book because it will probably make this one easier to understand.

Happy reading.

--------------

OMG! IT'S IN MY HANDS AND I AM SOO EXCITED!

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagra
The Captain
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Ahoy there me mateys! While I try to post no spoilers, if ye haven’t read the first book in this series, the murders of molly southbourne, then ye might want to skip this post and go read the first book. Worth the read. If ye keep reading this log then ye have been forewarned and continue at yer own peril . . . . . .

The first book in this series was weird, awesome, and fabulous. And bloody. It could have been a standalone but I have to admit that I was glad when I found out there was going to be
Lindsay
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting sequel to a novella that I didn't really care for, but appreciated for the quality of the writing. I liked this one much more, and there are answers here for nagging questions from the first story. And even more questions, and just as much gross-out gore. ...more
Konstantin
Better than the first part - will read the third if it's ever written. ...more
Sana
'Oh, sweet holy fuck, I'm seeing things. I don't have enough enemies, so I have to invent them.'

I love how this and The Murders of Molly Southbourne are both about survival but approach it in completely different ways. I actually had no idea where this was going but essentially, it is about the main character finding herself and that was done beautifully.

Each of the mollys are different from each other but they do have something that's inherently Molly and so it's never hard to distinguish amon
Lata
I liked this. The story is quiet, and deals with the dislocation of the molly saved by Molly Southbourne in book one, and how molly copes with living. She's uneasy with life, and doesn't know how to be a person for the longest time, drifting from one thing to the other before learning more about the history of the mollys. And others like her.
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.5 Stars
I think I liked this sequel a bit more than the first book because it had a less depressing tone. The voice of Molly was much stronger and confident in this one as she made the choice to survive. I like this one, but I just never fell in love with this duology like other readers.
Marjolein
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
So I read The Murders of Molly Southbourne earlier this year without knowing what I was getting myself into, but it was a very original surprise. I admit however that I didn't exactly remembered how it ended, so I found myself a little bit confused at the beginning (it went better very quickly though).

The first story sort of seemed completed but I was nevertheless excited for the sequel. The vibe in this novel is quite different from the first and more psychological. There were some interesting
 Leah
MY RATING⇢ 3.2 STARS | GRADE C+

FEATURING⇢

Unique Storyline
Creeptastic and Horror-if-ic
The Second Half of A Complete Story
Science Fiction

MY THOUGHTS⇢

The first book introduced a very disturbing story...that quite literally blew my mind with its sheer craziness.  Unfortunately, the second book felt a little like he didn't really know where he wanted to go with the story...almost as if he was never really planning on continuing the story at all.  Like an idea that never fully formed.

I want to say it
Emily
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"My short life has been full of pain and darkness. I am weary of it."

The Survival of Molly Southbourne is the sequel to The Murders of Molly Southbourne, and I adore this sci-fi horror novella duology! The Molly Southbourne stories are creative, unsettling, mysterious, and so entertaining. I don't want to say too much because it's really fun to see how everything works in these stories & I don't want to spoil anything. Just know that you definitely need these books in your life. I did enjoy the
Rick Brose
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
The first book in this series was so cool. The concept was unique. It was fun and violent; utter craziness. This follow up never gave me a good reason why it needs to exist. Diving deeper into the mechanics of this world takes away from the concept as a whole, and ultimately, this novella never feels like it goes anywhere.
Maggie Gordon
NEED NOW. NOW NOW NOW.
Stephen
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Even better than the first. I hope Mr. Thompson keeps writing these. We've still not learned all there is to learn about Molly. ...more
Elizabeth Turnbull
Jan 18, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bipoc-authors
A bloody, gory, and surprisingly touching follow up to the first novella, The Survival of Molly Southbourne subverts expectations and dares to ask rather than killing them “have you tried loving them?”

An exploration of identity and mental health, with a heavy dose of horror and sci-fi, a coming of age story with lots of self discovery and some bi/pan rep that made me feel all the things.

Beware some gross body horror and make sure to read the first book before jumping into the sequel!

Trigger War
Jasmine
SO THERE IS BODY HORROR IN THIS ONE. YOU KINDA CLOCK IT FROM THE FIRST TIMES THEY START ALLUDING TO A PLOT ARC BUT IT STILL MANAGES TO BE (HAH) GUT-CHURNING. (OH GOD OH GOD.)

Also I haven't read what's going on in short fiction in SFF for a few years due to my brain agonies, so it's absolutely fascinating to come back and see that the very notion of what a story can be has been exploded. This one is cross-genre, as it's thriller-y and horror-y and sci-fi-y, and also it's structurally trippy, and
Tammy
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.The nitty-gritty: Another strange and bloody tale, part horror, part sci-fi, and one hundred percent WTF.

The first book in the series, The Murders of Molly Southbourne , was a bloody, violent surprise of a story, a horror tale steeped in mystery where the reader is in the dark about what’s going on for quite a while. To catch unfamiliar rea
Mindi
Dec 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to follow...
FanFiAddict
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: ★★★★☆

Synopsis

Who was Molly Southbourne? What did she leave behind?

Molly Southbourne is alive. If she wants to survive, she’ll need to run, hide, and be ready to fight. There are people who remember her, who know what she is and what she’s done. Some want her alive, some want her dead, and all hold a piece to the puzzles in her head. Can Molly escape them
lee_readsbooks
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novella
"I am holding a telephone while watching a house burn.
'Please hold', says the voice on the other end of the line."

I have been waiting not very patiently for this sequel to The Murders Of Molly Southbourne for way too long. I opened the book and I was hooked by the very first line.
I'm not a fan of sci-fi but this sci-fi horror is so suspenseful and sadisticly entertaining it's impossible not to enjoy.

I highly recommend this duology to all lovers of horror and dark fiction.
Thomas
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, 2019, e-book
What made The Murders of Molly Southbourne so good was that Thompson took the premise (any time Molly bled, a murderous duplicate of herself was born) and followed that premise through to its logical end. I didn't see how he could write a sequel to the story, but he surprised me with how he took the premise in a new direction.

The problem is that the ending just isn't satisfying. For all that he builds up the story, he fizzles out when it's time to bring it to a close. It was a wild ride getting
Heather
My standards must’ve been too high after reading The Murders of Molly Southbourne. This one just didn’t do anything for me. I expected much more than what was provided. I still enjoyed the concept though.
Hellcat Mental
Not a bad read, but I didn’t love it like I loved the original.
Rian *fire and books*
Ehhhhhh I didn’t like this compared to the first. Felt like an unnecessary follow up.
Bonnie
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, quick read! I enjoyed the expansion of the universe set up in the first one. I really hope there will be a third at some point. Compelling and enjoyable!
Parker J
Not as great as the first book. This was an unnecessary sequel to a great standalone story. I'm still glad I read it though, it was engaging and interesting nonetheless. ...more
Kalin
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Donna
Molly finds another woman like her who creates clones of herself every time she bleeds.

I enjoyed the first Molly Southbourne book, but I didn't think there needed to be a sequel. The author goes in different directions with this one, though, so it ended up being worth the read. This Molly isn't as concerned with survival on a daily basis, so instead we join her in her confused mind, including a stint in an insane asylum. Why do the mollys all want to kill each other? Why are they created? This
Kurt
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A different book than the first. Kind of the existential flip side of the first book's dagger coin. I give the author credit: it's a somewhat ballsy move. It also facilitates answers to unresolved questions. Some might find this pivot too pat; I say it's well done, like a very nice movie sequel that resolves the whole story, and you leave feeling you got your money's worth... but weren't blown away like you were when you saw the first of the series.

In short: if you read the first and liked it,
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Night of the Mannequins
  • Prosper's Demon
  • Vigilance
  • The Man Who Ended History: A Documentary
  • When the Tiger Came Down the Mountain (The Singing Hills Cycle, #2)
  • Longer
  • Ring Shout
  • Her Silhouette, Drawn in Water
  • Carbone & Silicium
  • Sisters of the Vast Black
  • Drowned Country (The Greenhollow Duology, #2)
  • Quitter les Monts d'Automne
  • Out of Body
  • The Border Keeper (Border Keeper, #1)
  • Ragged Alice
  • Your Favorite Band Cannot Save You
  • The Haunting of Tram Car 015 (Fatma el-Sha’arawi, #2)
  • Juice Like Wounds (Wayward Children, #4.5)
Tade Thompson is a British born Yoruba psychiatrist who is best known for his science fiction novels.

Molly Southbourne (2 books)
  • The Murders of Molly Southbourne (Molly Southbourne, #1)