Start by marking “East of West, Vol. 9” as Want to Read:
East of West, Vol. 9

East of West, Vol. 9

(East of West (Collected Editions) #9)

The penultimate trade collecting the fan-favorite story of love at the end of the world.

Collects EAST OF WEST #39-42
Published May 28th 2019 by Image Comics (first published May 22nd 2019)

To ask other readers questions about East of West, Vol. 9, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about East of West, Vol. 9

L. McCoy
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Almost everyone.
Holy fucking shit... are you guys reading this series? If not, start reading this. Holy shit.

What’s it about?
Not much I can say without spoilers to previous volumes. Basically this is the volume before the final volume and Death has some serious business with the other 3 horsemen. Not to mention the political things in this series are getting crazier than ever!

Why it gets 5 stars:
The story is still interesting. There are a lot of things that happen in these 4
Artemy
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Probably the best volume of East of West since the end of Year One. A lot of things finally start to get clearer, there's some genuine character work, and pretty much every page has some explosive revelation or a brilliant emotionally charged scene. Nick Dragotta's art with Frank Martin's colors are the best they've ever been throughout the whole run, too. This entire volume is just crackling with awesomeness, and I couldn't be more excited for the next and final book of this fantastic series.
Jeff Moran
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This whole series is so well done and the consistent art theme through out really ties it together. High recommendation.
Drown Hollum
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can't believe the end of the world is almost here. I plan on re-reading all of this at once, to get the larger picture when I'm done, only because so much can be lost mentally between releases. But the scope, world building, art and characterization have been on point and meticulously constructed from day one. I love this book, and I can't even fathom the ending falling flat.
Crystal Starr Light
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bullet Review:

It has been so long since I read volume 8, I actually got volumes 6, 7 and 8 and then looked here and realized, oh, yeah, I did read all of them once upon a time. I thought for a moment about rereading, but honestly, this is a series where I'd have to go back to volume 1 to truly remember all the bits and bobs of this story.

In this volume, we get a bit of backstory - between Wolf and John and the conflict between War and Death. The series continues to tiptoe
Steve
I received this from Image Comics in exchange for an honest review.

Such a great series!
Anthony
Apr 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: image
I’m really going to have to re-read all this at some point
Miglė
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019, comics
This is my favorite comics series and it continues to be awesome.

The art is great (really, the armor of different nations, the fight scenes, the creatures...), the characters are interesting, the story is complex but not difficult to follow. What really perplexes me is that the next volume is supposed to be the last one. I have NO idea how they will tie up all the plot lines and how it will all end.

If you're into westerns, fantasy and apocalyptic themes (this one is pre-a
Tundextra
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
The second to last trade collecting the this beautifully and lusciously drawn story of love at the end of the world. As with the previous volumed this book has lost its lustre with me - mostly with too many character and me finding it difficult to care about any of them. Do I care what happens in the end? Right now no, but it all depends how it will pan out. The art is sublime. 7 out of 12.
Robert Kosara
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, comics, paper
Wait… what?
Adan
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
East of West doesn’t have arcs like other comics. It’s all just one huge story, so the collections don’t have a proper beginning or a proper ending. But every installment of the series brings everyone closer and closer to their inexorable end, and I know most, if not all, of the characters I have grown to love or hate will go down screaming, and I will mourn them. Even fucking Andrew Archibald Chamberlain, massive prick that he is.
Roy
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just love this series. Story art and world buidling.
A.j. Garner
May 31, 2019 rated it liked it
I am glad this is the penultimate, I can’t wait to see how this end. However, I feel like we are just dragging this out. Same reason I wouldn’t want to more seasons of Game of Thrones.

I will have to re read and rerate when they are all out.
Daniel
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Consistently one of the best comics atm.

Dragotta's art is as good as ever and the story is clearly heading towards the climax (with the odd, appropriate, flashback).
C. Varn
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hickman's finally winding things down: the various factions around Death start to unravel and set up the final conflict. The Horseman's rolls and the background with Death finally are illuminated. There is comeuppance all around. Highly enjoyable.
James
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lines are drawn for a showdown between death and the other horsemen. Great artwork.
Cyndi
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
wow, wow, wow.....shit is hitting the fan!
SuperSillySerra
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Filler volume, not much happens.

Was kinda disappointed that they did a flashback and not a move forward with this vol. Im not even sure if it was necessary, although it was neat to see. They're still setting up for that great war, hope it gets here soon....
Mark
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
We're closing in on the grand finale, though perhaps it won't be as conclusive as it first seemed like it would be. It seems like the art has improved noticeably in anticipation of this. I'm not sure it's all going to make sense by the end of the next volume, but the ride has been something special.
Gaz Watson
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Used to love this series, but now I just find it boring, very little happens, there’s next to no progress with the story, and everything tries too hard to be melodramatic. Doubt I’ll bother with the next book.
CB
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I try...I really try to savor these volumes, but I can't help but tear through them. There's only one left, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to reread these all in one go when I have everything. So, now I go to sit and wait for six more months...
Doug Peters
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, paper
So much suspense that I'm surprised I'm not angry. I care enough about this world that the backstories that make up most of this volume didn't detract from the overarching plot. They only made me care more about it. So, here I am, waiting for the next one...
Villain E
The apocalypse continues. The other Horsemen catch up with Death and Babylon. More machinations amongst various Heads of State. An excessive amount of flashbacks in this one. Ending the collection on a flasback isn't much of a cliffhanger, no matter how dramatic it is.
Bryan
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
--read as single issues #39-#42--

This, the penultimate collection of the series, hosts some really excellent issues (especially #39 and #42) and sees the stage set for war, as the final arc looms...
Adam
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, comic-volumes
After nine volumes, East Of West continues to crank out stellar volumes. Not only does the artwork remain at its incredible standard, the story and dialogue just add to that solid foundation. Great volume.
Andrew
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Consistently strong. With the complex interrelationships between characters this series really keeps me hooked. I am so glad I re-read the previous few volumes before this one otherwise I think I would have been lost!
Jake
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, series, western
Of course this continues to be rad as hell. It always delivers. This volume has some really killer scenes, leaning more on quiet tenderness in the intrigue, though there are some wild, chaotic moments of violence. Just killer, always. A showdown's a-comin', whether that means the apocalypse or not.
Aron
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
4.75 Stars. Another great installment! One if the best creator owned series ever written, in my opinion anyway.
Scott
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gonna need more ASAP, k? Thanks.
A
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, comic
Good stuff. Better than the previous one.
It’s no small thing to die and be born again.

After a certain amount of time you get tired of wasting talent. Of being part of a fraudulent profession — or actually being a fraud. And, most importantly, not living the life you are capable of having.

I remember the first night I went out with my wife. It was raining, she was beautiful… it was a normal, ordinary, intentionally

East of West (Collected Editions) (9 books)
  • East of West, Vol. 1: The Promise
  • East of West, Vol. 2: We Are All One
  • East of West, Vol. 3: There Is No Us
  • East of West, Vol. 4: Who Wants War?
  • East of West, Vol. 5: All These Secrets