Start by marking “Becoming C. S. Lewis, Volume 1: A Biography of Young Jack Lewis” as Want to Read:
Becoming C. S. Lewis, Volume 1: A Biography of Young Jack Lewis

Becoming C. S. Lewis, Volume 1: A Biography of Young Jack Lewis

"This excellent work will have readers eagerly anticipating the next volume." --Publishers Weekly

The writings of C. S. Lewis cannot be fully understood apart from a grasp of his formative adolescent years. Unfortunately, many biographies speed over this important season of Lewis's life.

Slowing down to focus on his younger years, this detailed portrait of "Jack" Lewis helps
Published November 12th 2019 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about Becoming C. S. Lewis, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming C. S. Lewis, Volume 1

Start your review of Becoming C. S. Lewis, Volume 1: A Biography of Young Jack Lewis
Becky
Who is the primary audience of this new biography? I would say that it would most appeal to scholars. A strong interest in history, literature, philosophy, the first world war would certainly help. A love of Lewis' writing--his literary essays, his philosophy, his nonfiction, his fiction--would be an absolute must. It isn't enough to merely love and adore the Chronicles of Narnia. One must equally love and adore his other books and articles as well.

The premise of this one is simple, "During his
Bob H
This is a well-researched and intriguing biography of C.S. Lewis, the author and lay theologian, and is the first of a three-volume work. Here, the book covers the first 20 years of Lewis' life, his formative years of his origins in Northern Ireland, his school years in England and his time on the Western Front in the latter part of WWI. It would be an eventful, often troubled boyhood, with harsh "public" (i.e., private upper-class) schools and his eventual tribulations in the war; it was a ...more
John Stanifer
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This new biography of C.S. Lewis, the first of a projected trilogy, focuses almost exclusively on Lewis's adolescent years from his birth in 1898 through the end of the Great War (WWI) in 1918.

That makes it fairly unique among the many, many biographies of Lewis. Most are more concerned with the Oxford years (Tolkien, the Inklings, Narnia) and/or his romance with Joy Davidman.

Why zero in on such a specific period in Lewis's life? It's easy to see why by the end of it. These are the years when
Kimberly
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Becoming C. S. Lewis (1898–1918): A Biography of Young Jack Lewis by [Poe, Harry Lee]I found this book, Becoming C.S. Lewis, to be a well-researched volume. This is to be the first of three-volumes on the gentleman. It talks about the first 20 years of Lewis' life. His time in Northern Ireland, England and in WWI. He had his troubles during this time - his education was hit and miss, and difficulties with religion.

The author, Harry Lee Poe was able to use his research, including recent published
Brian
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Becoming C. S. Lewis follows the life of Jack Lewis from birth to his transition to adulthood at age 20 following World War I. The book focuses quite a bit on his school years and the literally influences and atheist world view he developed during that time. Harry Lee Poe, a Christian scholar, sets this as part 1 of a trilogy he is writing about Lewis life and conversion to Christianity. He shows how the groundwork for his faith is being set up during his formative years and after world war I he ...more
George1st
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As Harry Lee Poe demonstrates by counting the number of pages devoted to C. S. Lewis's influential and formative adolescent years found in their books, many previous Lewis biographies tend to devote insufficient space in examining this crucial period. This is rather surprising as Lewis himself in his autobiographical work Surprised by Joy: The Shape of My Early Life fully acknowledged this period's importance to his later development. This fully researched book drawing on material from the ...more
Bethany
Dec 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Many people know the name C.S. Lewis. When I think of C.S. Lewis, I think of the Chronicles of Narnia books that I enjoyed as a child. So, when I had the chance to read a biography of his childhood, I figured that it would be a great opportunity to see into the mind of a classic and well-loved author.

Becoming C.S. Lewis is a book about about the childhood and early life of C.S. Lewis, from 1898-1918. There will be other volumes available about his adulthood and later life. The book told about
Lisa
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
C.S. Lewis concentrated heavily on his incredibly harrowing school days in his autobiography, yet many biographers think that their effect on him has been exaggerated! Professor Poe noticed this, and decided to restore Lewis's young life back into prominence. This was when his tastes and dislikes were formed - the older C.S. Lewis still liked and disliked the same things. This was also when he read the books which eventually led him to Christianity.

Poe delves deeply into Lewis's dark school
Shar
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this charming walk through the early years of the life of C.S. Lewis. My knowledge of him prior to reading this biography was pretty much limited to The Chronicles of Narnia! So I can’t possibly give an opinion on the content being accurate but I very much got the impression that this is a well-researched and honest biography.

It is focused on the education of Lewis and shows us how he began to develop from schoolboy to author, his influences and inspiration, it also covers
Darlene
I received this book from Netgalley for review and all thoughts and opinions are my own.
After reading this delightful biography on the early years of C. S. Lewis's , I have gained an entirely new perspective on the man, his reading life, his likes and dislikes, and his own works. There are several factors that affected the boy , his education and philosophy that surprised and enlightened me. His path to Christianity was ordained by Almighty God and a fascinating journey. Each of his lectures,
Katrina Zartman
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
"The story of his youth and its significance suggests the importance of this period of life for everyone." In this book, Becoming C.S. Lewis, the author focuses on the early formative years of Jack Lewis's life.
What struck me most was the long-suffering and mercy of God that is displayed toward the proud and independent boy, youth, and young man.
Cristie Underwood
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
This was an in depth look at the impact beloved author C.S. Lewis' younger years had on his later writing. I found out so many new facts about this author and enjoyed this immensely!
Maudaevee
Nov 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This was an interesting biography, it focused on just the early (considered more formative) years of C.S. Lewis's life. It was well researched and I think a good view into those years.
Richard Gemperline

• The Agitator: William Bailey and the First American Uprising against Nazism
  • The Lost World of the Flood: Mythology, Theology, and the Deluge Debate
  • Rules for Reformers
  • The Liturgy of Creation: Understanding Calendars in Old Testament Context
  • Creed or Chaos?: Why Christians Must Choose Either Dogma or Disaster (Or, Why It Really Does Matter What You Believe)
  • John Ronald's Dragons: The Story of J. R. R. Tolkien
  • The Glass Magician
  • How to Think: A Survival Guide for a World at Odds
  • The Lilac Princess
  • The Falcon Thief: A True Tale of Adventure, Treachery, and the Hunt for the Perfect Bird
  • Christ Among Other gods: A Defense of Christ in an Age of Tolerance
  • The Ears of a Cat
  • Skin: An intimate journey across our surface
  • The English Spy (Gabriel Allon, #15)