Start by marking “Legends of the Exiles” as Want to Read:
Legends of the Exiles

Legends of the Exiles

(Perilisc)

The isolated barbarians of Neather have deep ancestry and strict traditions. Four resilient women defy tribal customs as they fight to overcome their own tragedies. Abuse. Addiction. Assault. Grief. What struggles can they endure to defend their hopes and their hearts?

Helena seeks a love as bold as she, yet finds the men of her village lacking.

Jocelyn fears her strange vi
Kindle Edition
Published April 15th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Legends of the Exiles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legends of the Exiles

Shadow of the Lantern Bearer by Chris R. UnderwoodSpit and Song by Travis M. RiddleA Testament of Steel by Davis AshuraThe Woeful Wager by Douglas BainShadow of a Dead God by Patrick Samphire
SPFBO 6
104 books — 13 voters
The Lone Wolf by John D. PepeLegends of the Exiles by Jesse TellerThe Serpent and the Crown by Sam PumaThe Gate Beyond Oblivion by Ryan KirkThorfinn and the Witch's Curse by Jay Veloso Batista
SPFBO 2020 Kitty G
30 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Legends of the Exiles
Dianne
Like a broken record, I have to say that author Jesse Teller may have just topped himself as he delves deep into his characters’ lives, giving an up-close vignette of the lives of four women who dare to defy customs in search of their own healing and strengths. Strong female characters face their lives with courage as individuals, not just as women and in the setting of their stories, they demonstrate what being a heroine really means as they overcome their own inner demons as well as those of t ...more
Justine
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The arrow wants to fly, her instructor said all those years ago. It is only waiting for the right moment and the right warrior to fly from.

I always find it exciting to begin reading the works of an author I'm unfamiliar with. There’s the thrill of not knowing what to expect and the hope of thumbing through the final pages with a sense of satisfaction in finding a treasure in a vast sea of wonderful adventures. When I first read the blurb for this book, I knew instantly it was something I needed
Adam
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jesse Teller’s Legends of the Exiles consists of four intertwining novellas that occur during the same decade, give or take a few years. Each novella focuses on a different female “legend” who is at some point driven from her homeland and forced to adapt to new people and a new environment. Although we might know how some situations play out in advance, the wondrous part is how well they’re woven together to provide the reader with fresh perspective and context. Sometimes we’ll hear one side of ...more
Rebekah
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: perilisc, favorites
There's a trend in fantasy where creating a strong female character means giving her a sword and combat training. While some of the women in Exiles are quick with a blade, that isn't what makes them heroic.

They live in a low-fantasy setting, a barbarian culture without much subtlety, but their stories resonate with me and confront issues women often face in modern society, the fragile struggles of asserting oneself in a world that can so quickly crush you.

In Dreaded Desires, Helena wants to fi
Casey White
Mar 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
I received an ARC for free in exchange for an honest review.

For the full review, click here.

Unfortunately I felt it necessary to give a very low rating. TL:DR here - for full explanation, see full review.

The minor issues I had:

- The writing often felt repetitive, with entire paragraphs built off the same sentence structure. I could never be sure if it was intentional or not, but it didn’t work for me.

- There were a number of inconsistencies in events and the text itself. By themselves they weren
Jason Aycock
Legends of The Exiles tells the stories of four legendary women of the Ragoth, a seemingly barbarian mountain people in the decades leading up to "The Escape." They are stories of love, life, strength, loss, and suffering, where the characters struggle to fight back against the fate of tradition, choose their own paths, and forge their own destinies.

I've been sitting here a while trying to decide how I want to tackle this review. A book that is four stories woven together could be approached in
Jordan
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Find this review at Forever Lost in Literature!

I've previously read and enjoyed Jesse Teller's Manhunters trilogy (Song, Hemlock, Crown), so naturally I was excited to read something new from him. I was even more excited when I discovered that Legend of the Exiles is a tale of four interwoven novellas that take place in the world of Perilisc, each focusing on one individual woman. I wasn't sure what to expect from this format, but I knew that it was in good hands with Teller.

The stories take pla
Kaitlin
Jul 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: spfbo-2020
*This is one of the #SPFBO titles in my batch this year* *Trigger warning for child rape*

I picked this up and hoped I would love the story as much as the dreamy cover which is so eye-catching, and I am pleased to have had the opportunity to read this as it's quite different to a lot of the other #SPFBO titles I have read this year. This book is actually a weaving together of 4 different women's stories and each one is a novella with some crossover/connection to other plots.

I will say, this star
S. D. Howarth
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Anna K. Scott
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this as an ARC via TBRinder, but that in no way influences my honest opinion of the work.

Legends of the Exiles is set in the world of Perilisc, and mostly focuses on a low-tech, barbarian society. The four novellas of the book take place in the decades leading up to the Escape, an event which is used as a dating method throughout, and hints at a wider plot that spans Teller’s other works.

I’d not read any of Teller’s work before, so I didn’t know what to expect. I was very pleasantly s
BriarGrey
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
2.5/5

The premise is interesting, but I felt time and again that I was "told" how strong these women are, but never "shown" it...and their stories all revolved around men and finding a man. I think there is potential here, so I will try another book in this world one of these days (I got Song for a, well, song, one day so I've added it to my reading list), but this particular set of tales did not sit well with me. I found there to be too much sexual assault and sexualization of young children, an
Happy Booker
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Legends of the Exiles is a fantasy adventure book written as a collection of four novellas telling a tale of four resilient women dealing with abuse, addiction, assault, and grief.

The ‘Dreaded Desires’ is about a girl named Helena. She falls in love with a man that she despised for most of her life. Her character is not as appealing as one would like but, nevertheless, she was an interesting character to read about. Her personality was strong in a not so positive way, and her interactions did ra
Sonia Rogers
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing women!

I don’t normally read this genre, but once I started this book, I was hooked. Each novella features a different woman struggling to find her place in a male-dominated world. With strength and fortitude, these women forge new paths and find respect amongst themselves and the men of their world. I look forward to reading more about the lands Teller has created.
Shreyas Parida
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“By denying your god when you were small, you damned yourself to a loveless life…fear killed your future”.

In general, I am a very sceptical person. It usually takes me a good 30-40 pages before I start enjoying any book. When I was asked to review “Legend of the exiles” by Jesse Teller, an emotion of uncertainty crept inside of me; how many pages would it take for me to truly intertwine with the contents of the book?

Believe it or not, as soon as I read the first paragraph, I was sucked into th
Lynn K : Grimmedian
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A powerful collection of entwined stories about strong women who overcome and persevere.
A hefty helping of strong female characters brings us four stories that will shake you with their intensity. The tales overlap, moving back and forth through where the clans and villages exist on the mountain and within the City of Exiles. Each a complete story, they weave into one another in ways that are unexpected. I found myself in tears at times both in sadness and happiness. The highs and lows are extre
Jonathan Pongratz
DNF

I rarely don't finish books that I start, but I really had some struggles getting through this one. As a result, I won't be giving a star rating on this one, but will give my honest opinion.

First things first, I received a copy of this book in return for my honest opinion. I'm super grateful for the opportunity, it just wasn't for me at this point in time.

I have to say, I really enjoyed the beginning passage. It set the stage for what the book is about. Stories of great, inspirational women
The Scribblings
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Four women, their stories intertwined with each other, struggle to find their places in the world and to be with the people they love.

Disclaimer: I received an advance copy of this book in exchange for this review.

Legends of the Exiles is essentially four novellas in one volume, each story focusing on a different character, and in some ways, a female archetype. Each character is different enough that even though some of them share similarities, each of their stories explores different ground.

One
Jessica Belmont
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jesse Teller’s Legends of the Exiles is an incredible combination of four interwoven novellas. These novellas contain stories of four women who defy social customs in hopes of finding themselves.

I love character driven novels and Jesse Teller’s ability to dive deep into his characters lives is inspiring to me as a writer. These are strong female characters with strengths and weaknesses. They are incredibly well developed and I was in awe reading each story.

I truly felt like I was in this real. O
Hayley
Dec 21, 2019 rated it liked it
While there is some good writing that is evocative and moving in places, Legends of the Exiles kind of shoots itself in the foot for me. Primarily this is due to some uncomfortably sexualised pre-teens, but the fact that it is obtuse to readers new to the previously-established world doesn’t help either.
David Hambling
Matt McAbee
Coral Lovett
Carry
Feb 28, 2019

• Velocity Weapon (The Protectorate #1)
  • The Sin in the Steel (The Fall of the Gods, #1)
  • Of Honey and Wildfires
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • The Pretender's Crown (Inheritors' Cycle, #2)
  • Beyond the Dragon's Gate
  • Worth Her Weight in Gold (River of Teeth, #0.5)
  • Honor Lost (The Honors, #3)
  • Fire on the Rio Grande (Ring of Fire Book 9)
  • Unconquerable Sun (The Sun Chronicles, #1)
  • Ganny Knits a Spaceship
  • Dames and Demons
  • On Winter's Eve
  • Free Agent (Chronicles of Myelad Book 1)
  • By Sea & Sky: An Esowon Story (The Sky Pirate Chronicles #1)
  • Dragon Source (Reunification Book 1)
  • Shrouded Kingdom (The Lost Queen of Althea #1)
  • Blood Of Kings: The Shadow Mage