Start by marking “Storm Season (Accidental Roots, #1)” as Want to Read:
Storm Season (Accidental Roots, #1)

Storm Season

(Accidental Roots #1)

They say you can’t go home again, Adam Klay doesn’t intend to until the death of his father, a famous artist, forces his return to Skagit, Washington. Cleaning up his father’s chaotic life was never on Adam’s bucket list. Worse, Adam finds himself inexplicably drawn to the elusive, terminally-clumsy, gorgeous, Micah Ryan. No way is he getting involved with someone from his ...more
Published January 2019 by Dirty Dog Press (first published March 10th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Storm Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Storm Season

Start your review of Storm Season (Accidental Roots, #1)
Jenni Lea
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: whodunit

This is a good one y'all. You should check it out. Great story flow, lots of snark! I'm hooked in for book two.
Simone
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***3.5 Stars***

Auspicious start to a new series
@n3fariovs

... is part of his job, but he is also confronted with it where he expected it least of all...

Dedicated to his job, but worn out FBI Agent Adam Klay is called from the middle of a crime scene to return to his small hometown in order to settle the assets of his deceased estranged father. To say being back generates mixed feelings in him would be quite an understatement and he clutches at every straw to shuffle out of the situation of dealing
Jewel
3.5 Stars

I enjoyed this start to the series. The writing wasn't all that smooth, though - the scene breaks were often either jarring or not marked at all, so I had to go back many times to make sure I didn't miss something. Still, I enjoyed the story and the characters and am looking forward to continuing the series.
retro
This novel is in dire need of an editor. There's far too much telling and not nearly enough showing. Too many abrupt scene cuts, as well as scenes that seem to go nowhere. At one point, a dream sequence bleeds into the real time rescue of a character from a house fire. At another, a sex scene begins with the characters waking up and getting into it, and abruptly ends before it goes anywhere, almost as if the author forgot to finish it.

The mystery plot is unnecessarily complicated by the
~Volha~
** 4.5 stars **

This was my first book by Elle Keaton, and I really enjoyed it. I love a good mystery with a side of amateur sleuthing. Plus small town and people knowing everyone's business makes for a very entertaining story. I liked that the author made chapters short. And each had either Adam or Micah's POV. It was always clear who was who, and I really liked that. The pace was a bit slow for a mystery but it was interspersed with beautiful descriptions of local landmarks that I found myself
Joyfully Jay
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kenna
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

I liked this book. Romance mixed with mystery is a favorite genre of mine. Elle Keaton has written an excellent story with great characters and a well plotted mystery. Adam is a flawed man. Even though he’s an agent who closes cases and gets results, he’s somewhat grumpy and (in my opinion, at least) a little jaded. He also feels deeply for the victims of the crimes he’s investigating. He’s a genuine human being, not a by-the-book agent. Micah is a sad character. I
Lori
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bmbr-reads, series, 2017
Oh yes. There's nothing like a new to me author with a book that I love, it's like finding a new great flavour of ice-cream. This book/author was one of those. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

What started off as seemingly as a boy-returns-to-home-town-and-finds-love soon turned into much more. Yes, it did have those aspects. I loved Micah and Adam both. I was a tad concerned that Micah especially might turn into a bit od a stereotype, but the author managed his storyline well. Adam too was a great
Meep
Dec 31, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, freebie-fic
This book is nearly all tell, there's no show, barely any conversation, but been two long drawn out sex scene by 38%. Writing really not working for me, too much focus on the irrelevant and scenes that trail off.

The main character is a jaded work-a-holic better than everyone else FBI agent who wants to save the world. He gets 'hunches' based on zero evidence or reason; appears apathetic about everything and disparaging about nearly everyone he encounters - oh the hell of finding you've inherited
Lisa The Novel Approach
Trying to work a homicide case, long distance, and take care of the hell-hole he inherited from his father is starting to take its toll on federal investigator Adam Klay. When his boss, Mohammad, demands Adam take some time off, the last thing he wanted to do was return to Skagit, Washington, but with the passing of his father, Gerald, it was unavoidable. Adam’s life, growing up, had some disappointments, namely a mother who wanted nothing to do with him or his father, and who eventually ...more
Line
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Freebie again at amazon.com right now: https://smile.amazon.com/Storm-Season...
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Ok, so this Authors writing is odd, but I think I'm in serious like with it.

Serious.

This was good. There was something about the characters, the story, the setting and yes, the weird writing that just had me hooked.

I can not wait to read the rest of this series!
Colette
Very good!

Terrific characters, great story, and excellent writing. This was a well plotted book that sucked me in from the beginning. I loved the relationship between Micah and Adam and the fully fleshed out secondary characters. Looking forward to the next book of this series!
Jess A Jaye
I do enjoy a romance that also has a mystery at it's heart. I love the added drama, the tension, the twists & turns and the hunt for the bad guy. And Storm Season has these elements in buckets.
Don't wanna give spoilers so I'm not going to say a lot about the plot. Just know it really adds to the intrigue of the story and was really page turning. And also the main focus is on Micah and Adam. Micah and Adam are your classic two lost souls. Micah is still grieving the lose of his parents and
Kim
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it
New to me author. This is a mm contemporary story set in the USA. Main characters are Micah and Adam. Adam was a federal agent investigating missing and murdered girls. I found this book made lots of assumptions and the story jumped.
Diverse
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great mystery romance! A mystery is tricky and I'm generally a hard sell when it comes to them because I hold it to a different standard. In the end, it has to be amazing. I have to understand the who, how, why's. On the whole, I was impressed!

Adam is a piece of work. He's a great detective but his line of work has made him into a bit of a grump... or so I assumed at first. When we learn about his childhood things make more sense. His mom left him and his dad, that's changes a person.
Kathleen
Page 116 of 308

DNF. Too much focus on sex. Not enough lore/background to keep me interested.
Tracy~Bayou Book Junkie
**don’t Let this book keep you from exploring this series!**

3 Stars

This book started with so much promise. The opening scene grabbed me and piqued my interest, I’m a huge CSI/Criminal Minds fan, and I quickly settled in for what I assumed would be a gripping, suspenseful mystery, with a side of smoking hot romance. Umm.. unfortunately, that’s not what happened. The content of the suspense/mystery portion started out so well, but it all quickly fell apart and the execution was just not good. The
Veronica
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

Hard-nosed Federal Investigator Adam Klay and reclusive Micah Ryan seems like an unlike couple from the outside. Both men turn out to be far more complex than my initial impressions of them suggest. Neither one of them is looking for a relationship. They both live with few people who are close to them. This set up really worked for me because I love seeing lonely people find love.

I like that we get to meet the men alone and
Wax
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, own-have, kindle
I thought it was pretty good overall. Adam returns to his hometown after his father's death. He couldn't wait to get out of there when he was younger. However, he finds a different place than what he remembers. Micah has been suffering for years after his family was taken cruelly from him. Both men have issues but are drawn to each other.
Nic
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Storms

Writing style is very different but the story was veery engaging and entertaining. The story sucks you in because things are not what they seem. Looking forward to book two!.
空
Jan 14, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-q
Jenny Wood
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
First things first…. Muncie Indiana police really are douchebags, and pretty much the whole of Indiana is right there along with them. Big points for that call out, I’m still living here lol feel sorry for me!

So, first things first, this is my first by this author, and I’m not usually a mystery/suspense/angsty type of reader, but once I picked this one up, I didn’t put it down until I finished. We meet Adam when he’s investigating the murder scene of a little girl. He seems jaded and closed off
Denise GremoryKohta
What an exciting read. The plot is well thought out. The characters surprise you. Adam is the strong tough FBI agent home to settle his father's estate. Micah is a clumsy guy fogged under by grief. The thrills a perfectly balanced out with what Adam originally came there to do and the crimson investigation that is going on. Elle Keaton gave us a great story wile leaving us with serious questions. Will Seth stick around so Adam and him can work on their relationship? Will Geir get his chance at a ...more
Kristine (A Cozy Booknook)
I had been looking forward to reading this book and was not disappointed. The author quickly drew me in to the story and had me wanting to know what was going to happen next. I enjoyed getting to know the characters, I would love to see more of a few of the secondary characters. There is suspense, mystery, friendship, and love, something for everyone to enjoy. I look forward to reading more of this series.
Rennie
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.
This was rough going for about 45% and then the suspense part kicked in and it got so much better.
I really liked both Adam and Micah and the way their relationship developed; they were seriously cute and hot together. The supporting characters were great too and I'm looking forward to reading the other books in the series.
Candice
This was extremely choppy and clunky. Scenes just ended and so much telling and not enough showing. Very little conversations. I did really like the concept of this story though and I finished it. I won't be moving on in this series.
Ivy
Jan 24, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-mm, dnf
My Hope and My life have break up with me
I can't. At 39% I started to cry , I felt my life, my joy, my strengh leave me.
This book was depressif, and weiiiird. Most of the time , I didn't knew where/when and with who I was.
Susana
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heather
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes going home is the last thing you want but is exactly what you need. Well, that's what Adam Klay is facing when he returns to Skagit to sort out his father's estate. Micah Ryan on the flipside hasn't left Skagit since losing his family in a car accident nearly ten years prior. When fate, destiny, or just plain dumb luck puts these two on the same course their lives will never be the same.

Storm Season is a wonderful blend of romance, drama, mystery, comedy, and it's all tied up together
Kevin
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gay male romance between a federal investigator (agency not specified) and a man with a tragic past. I read book three in the series (Spring Break) before this one. As with book one, both characters have trauma from their childhoods. Also, convalescence is again used as a device to further the relationship.
In this book, there are several criminal investigations. I'm not sure how or if they are related. The most prominent case is unresolved at the end of the book.
There are a few plot
« previous 1 3 next »

• Tallowwood
  • Ground Zero (Zero Hour #1)
  • Without Warning (Cobalt Security, #1)
  • Cutting It Close (Code of Honor #1)
  • Stand In Place
  • Coast to Coast (Arizona Raptors #1)
  • I've Got You (True-Blue, #2)
  • Lie With Me (Stonewall Investigations Miami, #2)
  • Forgotten: Luca (The Four, #1)
  • Blank Canvas (Irons and Works, #2)
  • Rampage (Out for Justice #3)
  • Jon's Spooky Corpse Conundrum (Jon's Mysteries, #3)
  • Today (Single Dads #2)
  • Let Me Show You (True-Blue, #1)
  • Kiss Me Again
  • Single (Single Dads #1)
  • Ignite (Unbreakable Bonds, #7)
  • Gideon (Finding Home, #3)
Author/imaginator & photographer (also rare Pacific Northwest Native), Elle grew up in Seattle, WA., with the Cascade Mountain range to the east and Olympics to the west.

Elle shares her life with between three to five cats (depending on who's counting), an extremely patient fiancé and a flock of young adults. She's lived in four US states, London England, and Hong Kong; always knows what time

Accidental Roots (8 books)
  • No Pressure (Accidental Roots,  #2)
  • Spring Break (Accidental Roots, #3)
  • As Sure As The Sun (Accidental Roots, #4)
  • River Home (Accidental Roots #5)
  • Unforgivable (Accidental Roots, #6)
  • His Best Man (Accidental Roots, #7)
  • When It Rains (Accidental Roots, #8)
“Jesus fucking Christ, not again! For God’s sake, get your clothes on. M’s here!” he scream-whispered” 1 likes