Start by marking “Snow, Glass, Apples” as Want to Read:
Snow, Glass, Apples

Snow, Glass, Apples

A chilling fantasy retelling of the Snow White fairy tale by New York Times bestselling creators Neil Gaiman and Colleen Doran!

A not-so-evil queen is terrified of her monstrous stepdaughter and determined to repel this creature and save her kingdom from a world where happy endings aren’t so happily ever after.

From the Hugo, Bram Stoker, Locus, World
Published August 20th 2019 by Dark Horse

Start your review of Snow, Glass, Apples
Mischenko
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
-Mild spoilers-

This Snow White retelling is totally reimagined and nothing like the original. In Neil Gaiman’s adaptation, Snow White isn’t the little innocent sweetheart we all know, but rather some type of blood-sucking monster. In addition, this retelling is told from the not-so-evil queen’s point of view…

“If it were today, I would have her heart cut out, true. But then I would have her head and arms and legs cut off. I would have them disembowel her. And then I would watch/>“If
Charlotte May
Jul 30, 2019 marked it as library-loans  ·  review of another edition
More from Neil Gaiman!!!!

Give it to me!!!!

Library copy available for pick up
Chad
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
A delightfully distorted twist on the Snow White tale. Snow White and the Evil Queen's roles are reversed with Snow White becoming a vampire that plagues the Queen's kingdom. Colleen Doran's art is gorgeous, giving the book a classic storybook look. There is a bit of erotica here so be warned. This is my favorite graphic adaptation of Gaiman's short stories yet.
David Schaafsma
“Her eyes were black as coal, black as her hair; her lips were redder than blood. She looked up at me and smiled. Her teeth seemed sharp, even then, in the lamplight.”

"Snow, Glass, Apples" is a story from Neil Gaiman's collection, Smoke and Mirrors It is adapted here in spectacular fashion by Colleen Doran who—in a fascinating and useful appendix—says she was inspired in her work by an early-20th-century illustrator, Harry Clarke. The illustration work is ornate, romantic, a combinat
Hamad
This ReviewBlog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

🌟 I love dark retellings, I specially like them of fairy tales from my childhood, because as a kid I wanted something fluffy and positive, I grow up and find that the world is a dark place and so flipping those stories is fascinating!

🌟 This is an adult graphic novel as it contain some explicit scenes and gore and it is dark! I can’t say much about the writing because I read the graphic novel version and that reminds me that I should use/>Actual
☽¸¸.I am¸¸.•*¨ The ¸¸.•*¨*Phoenix¨*•♫♪ ☾
“If it were today, I would have her heart cut out, true. But then I would have her head and arms and legs cut off. I would have them disembowel her. And then I would watch, in the town square, as the hangman heated the fire to white-heat with bellows, watch unblinking as he consigned each part of her to the fire. I would have archers around the square, who would shoot any bird or animal who came close to the flames, any raven or dog or hawk or rat. And I would not close my eyes until the princes ...more
Trish
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A short story by one of my favourite authors that I‘ve known for a while. But now, finally, it is getting an illustrated edition and I couldn‘t be happier about it!

For those who don‘t know yet: this is a retelling of the classic fairytale Snow White. As some of us might have suspected for a while, the little princess isn‘t as innocent as she liked people to believe. I mean, just the description of what she looked like ...
Here‘s the deal: (view spoiler). I
Teresa
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the kind of retelling I love: original, grisly elements intact but told from the viewpoint of a character that twists the tale into something different. An element of characterization (I won’t give it away though it’s obvious by page eight) adds another genre to the tale, not one I usually care for, though with Gaiman I’m usually okay with it.

Not only is the story well-told, the art is gorgeous and elevates the story even further. My only quibbles are due to my preference for
Devann
actual rating: 2.5

If I was rating the short story I probably would have rounded down, but I'm rating the new graphic novel and the art was absolutely gorgeous so I decided to round up. I guess the story isn't awful either but today it just kind of reads like edgy bullshit for the sake of edgy bullshit. I'm sure 'what if Snow White was a vampire' was a much more original thought back in 1995 but today it just kind of makes me roll my eyes. Also I really don't see why he felt it was ne
Lata
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely stunning, gorgeous and ever so slightly evocative of stained glass images—the artwork by Coleen Doran beautifully complements and adds another dimension to Neil Gaiman’s horror version of Snow White.
Nils | nilsreviewsit
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
‘Lies and half-truths fall like snow, covering the things that I remember, the things I saw. A landscape, unrecognisable after a snowfall - that is what she has made of my life.’
~
Neil Gaiman does it again! I have no idea how this author manages to surprise, delight, shock and have me completely captivated in almost every book or graphic novel I’ve read of his so far.

Snow, Glass, Apples is a dark gothic horror retelling of Snow White. Originally a short story by Neil Gaima
Konstantin
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous art - loved the peasants' kitchen scene - and a very good story. I was truly impressed by this book, despite some occasional qualms (this and this review highlight them - there are lots of these examples in the book which could easily fit into the "Men Writing Women" subreddit).

Despite that, I'd love to see this author/illustrator pair collaborate again in the future, and I heartily recommend reading this graphic
Amanda
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The highly detailed illustrations are so gorgeous and right up my alley, and I loved the creepy twist on the Snow White story.
Sara *~The Loquacious Lassie~*
Holy SHIT this was dark, creepy, and utterly fantastic! This graphic novel is a re-imagining of the classic tale of Snow White, written from her step-mother's perspective. Snow is quite a naughty (not to mention supernatural) minx in this version and her step-mommy is not quite so evil as you might think.

The story twists and turns, as Gaiman's work always does. He's created a wholly unique and enchanting world within just 88 pages somehow- he never ceases to amaze. This is one of his darkest st
Jovana Autumn
The only version of Snow White that I like. End of story.

A little backstory: Growing up I used to watch all of the Disney movies on VHS, I had a huge collection. I still watch Disney movies now as an adult from time to time(I prefer the older ones, not really a fan of the newer 3D Disney - Although I adore Tangled). If I had to pick my top favorite Disney princesses(or favorite Female characters) the list would go something like this: Belle from Beauty and the Beast(typical bookworm pick), M
Marta
The art in this slim volume is absolutely stunning: tall art nouveau panels with rich ornamentation, stark contours, vivid colors and dark contrasting panels, a beautifully dreamy flow, gorgeous decorative lines, hair, dramatic flair, scenes flowing into each other without the usual borders. It is worth reading just for the art.

See image (for some reason html does not work for me):

See image (for some reason html does not work for me):

The story on the other hand did not do much for me. Gaiman reimagines the story with Snow White as a monstrous vampire and a good queen fighting evil. The writing is Gaiman so it is good, the story is chilling - but the main point seems to be the abundance of gore and sex, without any character development or meaning. It is a self-serving, gory erotic vampire fantasy, which I don’t care for at all.
Sabrina
Lies and half-truths fall like snow, covering the things that I remember, the things I saw. A landscape, unrecognizable after a snowfall - that is what she has made of my life.

The artwork is incredible, a 10/10. The story is darkly horrific, quiet yet nonetheless chilling and foreboding in its unfolding. Definitely not a kid's book is all I'm going to say regarding certain parts of it!

stars

The
Manisha
Actual review: 4.5

Oh, this… This was brilliant, twisted and dark. I love Neil Gaiman for a reason, and the way he takes the traditional story of Snow White and flips it so that it is a disturbing version of the tale is awe-inspiring.

This is definitely a story I would recommend to anyone who loves to read creepy and dark stories with cruelty woven in seamlessly.

And above all, it’s very entertaining.

♥♫☻Olivia☻♫♥
The art in this graphic novel is so beautiful! I only wish it was longer.
Dakota Morgan
Oct 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Vintage Neil Gaiman twisted fairy tale paired with eye-catching art from Colleen Doran. Unfortunately, the play on Snow White is more confusing than intriguing, although there are some good, dark moments. Doran's art is often gorgeous, but it can distract from the story. Not the best graphic adaptation of a Gaiman short story; not the worst.
Sans
Gorgeously illustrated and simply told. Creeped the shite out of me.
Leah Rachel von Essen
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Snow, Glass, Apples” is one of my favorite short stories of all time: a dark, horror version of Snow White that pictures the stepmother as a magical queen just trying to protect her kingdom. Disturbing; twisted; artful. So when I heard this illustrated edition from Colleen Doran was coming, I knew I had to have it: it’s simply gorgeous on every page, in an art nouveau style that drips fantasy. Simply in love.
Rod Brown
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Colleen Doran's art is the main reason to pick up this adaptation of Neil Gaiman's inversion of the Snow White tale. The queen isn't as evil as made out and Snow White nowhere near innocent. Blood and nudity abound in this little horror story with (view spoiler).
Nancy
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review can also be found on my blog: https://graphicnovelty2.com/2019/10/3...

For Halloween this year, my spooky choice is a twisted fairy tale from the esteemed Neil Gaiman whose dark and whimsical tales are sure to please.

He once again tackles the Snow White story, but in a different angle from his The Sleeper and the Spindle tale, as this story is told from Snow White’s stepmother’s perspective and she is far from a wicked witch. Instead, the twist is that young Snow White is the evil one, and is a vampire
Raimondo
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, vampire, decadent
Another triumph from Colleen Doran! Her art in the Master of Rampling Gate graphic novel was lush and masterly, but here she employed a vastly different style. I've always been partial to oils, but this one is a tour de force, a glacial monster that awes as much as it chills.

I've read this decadent gem by Gaiman before and I enjoyed it. But under Doran's masterful art, it bloomed to full life. It's a good thing that I already knew the story since I had to take long breaks just ooh-ing an
Erin Cataldi
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
A really dark, twisted, and satisfying twist on the old Snow White tale told in gorgeous graphic novel illustrations and written by the insanely talented Neil Gaiman. It honestly sells itself. I can't get over how beautiful it was, very art deco and intricate; the illustrations jump right off the page. Told from the "evil" Queen's perspective, this reversal of storytelling leads to some very surprising twists and finds readers definitely siding with the Queen. I will say there is a lot of nudity ...more
Mark
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
It may be an understatement to say that writer Neil Gaiman is ‘hot’ at the moment. With the recent television adaptations of American Gods and Good Omens, it might be understandable that his global recognition is currently very high, probably the highest it’s ever been.

Of course, some mutter, we’ve known about this for years – his award-winning (Hugo, Nebula, World Fantasy, Locus, Bram Stoker etc etc)  prose in novel and short form, the Sandman graphic novels… but it’s nice to see that others finally
Kari
tw | self-harm (it's kind of graphic)

Have you ever seen a story with art so beautiful? Kind reminds of Belladonna of Sadness

This was dark. This was real dark. Kind of reminds me of The Curse of Sleeping Beauty meets Snow White meets a real beautiful anime film. This could honestly be a film - both live action and anime - and not just any old Snow White retelling. This is dark and original. I rarely see Snow White in this light.
Hannah
I was definitely a fan of illustrator Colleen Doran's richly detailed art nouveau style, but the story itself rubbed me the wrong way.

In particular, it gave me the same gross vibes as in The Last Wish where the narrator was very clear that oh yes, that pre-pubescent child is a slut, alright. She definitely wanted TeH sEx. In this case, she was six.

Supposedly, this is because Snow White is a vampire and the prince is a necrophiliac, but yuck.
Gwynn_Sky
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a funny story how I could buy it from a book shop in Prague. We spent a weekend there with friends and as we walked on the streets, one of my friends told, look at the show-window. There were the Snow, Glass, Apples. We entered in the shop and I asked how much it is. The shop owner said, it was the last from this book and did not spend more than 15 minutes in the show-window. I bought it, I was not able to left there.
Oh my God!!!
The whole comic is amazing! All the little details and

• Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen
  • Out of Skin
  • "Okay" (The Wicked + The Divine #9)
  • Something is Killing the Children #1 (Something is Killing the Children)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass
  • House of Whispers Vol. 1: The Power Divided (the Sandman Universe)
  • The Wize Wize Beasts of the Wizarding Wizdoms
  • Out the door
  • The Hare's Bride
  • The Three Snake Leaves
  • Skyward, Vol. 3: Fix the World
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 6
  • Grimoire Noir
  • The Dreaming Vol. 1: Pathways and Emanations (the Sandman Universe)
  • The Man Who Came Down the Attic Stairs