Start by marking “White” as Want to Read:

White

Combining personal reflection and social observation, Bret Easton Ellis's first work of nonfiction is an incendiary polemic about this young century's failings, e-driven and otherwise, and at once an example, definition, and defense of what "freedom of speech" truly means.

Bret Easton Ellis has wrestled with the double-edged sword of fame and notoriety for more than thirty
Published April 16th 2019 by Knopf

Availability: 10 copies available, 1407 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Apr 05 - May 04, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about White, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White

matthew
    Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: lgbt, non-fiction
    Bret Easton Ellis is perhaps my favourite author. I own first editions of two novels and still own my original Vintage paperback of American Psycho from 2001, since high school. No other author has cast such a huge influence on my style, my aesthetic preferences, even down to the very typeface used in his novels (Electra). Thus, it was ever disappointing that Ellis has mostly given up novels and fiction and has instead pivoted to podcast host and near-constant complainer about what he calls Gene ...more
    Supreeth
    Oct 25, 2018 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
    HE'S STILL IN THE GAME!!!!!
    Blair
    This book has already stirred up controversy – as the author no doubt intended – but a week after reading it, I already find myself without much to say. It's a loosely-strung-together set of essays that are part cultural critique, part rant and part memoir; mostly chaotic, with some (not enough) good bits.

'Acting' is probably the best of the bunch – Ellis writes so beguilingly about the film American Gigolo that I was immediately dying to see it. 'Post-Sex' also has its moments. The author's ana
    Peter Derk
    Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it
    Despite its provocative title and author, White is not an in-your-face screed. It’s not an angry book, and the title is a joke, it seems.

Ellis was a rebel in the early 90’s, American Psycho being turned down by its publisher as it was bound to be controversial. He was a young, bad boy writer who wrote transgressive novels, was hired to write interviews and profiles, and was then chastised for doing that in a transgressive fashion as well. You hired the American Psycho guy, and then you’re pisse
    GONZA
    Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    As a long time reader of Ellis, and the last books were not my favorites, I was a little bit worried about this new book, mostly I was afraid of being disappointed again. Instead, and I am very happy to underline instead, I was really happy, mostly because it's a non fictional essay about the life of the author, of his political ideas and some other stuff about movies and literature, that were a real pleasure to read.

Come lettrice di lunga data di Ellis, e anche delusa da tempo, avevo quasi pau
    Steve Erickson
    Dashes of cogent movie criticism (almost all in the first few essays) mixed with lots of "I'm way too cool to give a shit about politics" posturing and hypocritical attacks on "Generation Wuss" when Ellis demonstrates his petty over-sensitivity repeatedly. My review coming soon in Gay City News, which I will link here.
    Cazlam
    Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    shockingly... i loved it. part memoir and part social commentary on where we are as a society, i found it controversial, entertaining and thought-provoking. while i don't necessarily agree with some of the things he says (king cobra being a good film) i do appreciate that he doesn't want to dictate how i should feel
    Lisa K
    Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    your cranky uncle wrote a whole book about being put on blast via twitter
    Joshua Arnett
    Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
    HSOJY
    Matthew
    Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it
    Our society has become a reactive one. Go on any social media platform and count the “first” comments people make immediately make once any piece of content has been posted; you’ll lose count within minutes should you chose to even go through such an innocuous experiment.

The same can be said about Twitter as a whole. The very second after a momentous - or, just as frequently if not more so, not so momentous - event occurs, people are flocking to their accounts to tweet about it, as though under
    Sylvester Kuo
    Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: memoir, film, politics
    White, originally going to be called White Privileged Male is a provocative commentary on the changes in the society Ellis has observed. It is mostly a memoir with some side comments thrown into the mix. Being a long time fan, I can really see how his writing came about, this was a close up examination of his brilliant mind.

The book was hardly provocative unlike what the absolutely TRIGGERED critics were saying, the book consisted mostly of his reviews on FILMS. The perpetually offended will al
    Dany Salvatierra
    Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Snowflakes are having epic meltdowns over this book. Although Bret Easton Ellis, the all-time provocateur, isn’t just triggering social justice warriors: he’s just voicing a very personal ‘opinion’, a notion that no longer exists in the contemporary world, a time when free speech means denouncing and censoring anyone who doesn’t follow an imposed and so-called “progressive” narrative. It’s also his finest piece of writing, but tell that to the mainstream media.
    JQ Salazar
    Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Maybe I’m biased, but this book was gospel for me. This is someone who truly understands, beautifully speaking out from their soul.
    Jarnoooooo
    Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Om eerlijk te zijn was Bret Easton Ellis de laatste jaren enigszins van mijn radar verdwenen. Zijn laatste boek dateert dan ook alweer van 2010 (Imperial Bedrooms), zijn laatste goede boek van 2005 (Lunar Park) en zijn laatste echt goede boek van 1999 (Glamorama).

Toch heeft Ellis het afgelopen decennium allerminst stilgezeten, blijkt uit de willekeurig memoires waarmee de essays in dit boek zijn gelardeerd. Zo was hij onder meer actief als podcaster, filmproducent, scriptschrijver en maker van e
    BookTrib.com
    The man knows how to touch a nerve. Relishes it, in fact, despite his protestations that he “was never good at realizing what might offend someone anyway.” Please. This is Bret Easton Ellis we’re talking about, author of Less Than Zero, creator of Patrick Bateman, Twitter provocateur par excellence. He’s been offending – and astonishing – readers since he became a best-selling novelist at the age of twenty-one.

Beginning with Less Than Zero in 1985, Ellis has displayed an uncanny eye for dissecti
    S.g.
    Apr 22, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    I first read Bret Easton Ellis back in the early 2000s when I bought American Psycho at HMV. It was in sale alongside a number of other novels that had been made into films. I picked up Trainspotting there as well as Different Seasons by Stephen King. I read it shortly afterwards and fell in love with his prose. I popped online and bought the rest of his books, inhaling them over the next few years, taking each book as a hedonistic treat.

When I read Lunar Park, I was interested to see how much o
    Ryan
    Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Author/provocateur Bret Easton Ellis’s culture essays cover everything from 1970s horror flicks, Richard Gere in “American Gigolo,” Ellis’s own novels (particularly “Less than Zero” and “American Psycho”) and how those personal influences of the late twentieth century (among others) have informed his disillusionment with the alarmist, thought-policed era we now inhabit. This new world, lived for many on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, has been cultivated to favor certain likable, politically-co ...more
    june3
    Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
    So glad to be the first person on my library waiting list to receive a copy of the much-anticipated "White" from Bret Easton Ellis. I am a big fan of his novels. I will make time to re-read them very soon.

In so many ways, Mr. Ellis' non-fiction debut most certainly did not disappoint. How absolutely fabulous to read his serious and thoughtful insights on films and cinematography. I almost cried, thinking back to days when I also lived in NYC when I could have conversations like these, days when
    Robert Welbourn
    Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    White is a strange old book. I'm a Bret Easton Ellis fan boy, and in his own words the only kind of person who would enjoy this book. And I'm pretty sure I did.

To me it was three books rolled into one. Firstly, Ellis talking about his books, writing them, adapting them. I live for this shit. I could read it all day and never get bored.

The second is Ellis talking about being a gay man, and how gayness is presented in the media. I found this fascinating, and certainly enjoyed reading it.

The third
    Dalton
    Apr 23, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    I am an admirer of Ellis’ provocative work such as American Psycho and believe Rules of Attraction to still be the most accurate and necessary satirization of elitism in liberal arts colleges I’ve come into contact with, but this is simply not a good book. White could have been fascinating, thought provoking, and provocative. Instead this reads as a collection of angry, boastful rants which become repetitive quickly. Ellis’ wit is all but absent, his subtly non-existent, but his furor and hollow ...more
    J.J. Rusz
    Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    You might assume that “White,” a collection of essays by the author of “Less than Zero” and “American Psycho,” would focus narrowly on topics of interest to folks in NYC and LA. And you wouldn’t be wrong. Bret Easton Ellis takes readers inside the uppity enclaves that define American pop culture and art. And much of what he reveals is sensational and sad.

But there’s more going here. If its autobiographical essays sometimes read like high-class gossip, Ellis’s concern throughout “White” is with c
    Rob Christopher
    I thoroughly expected to hate-read my way through this, but much to my surprise I found myself agreeing with him a lot. And I was also really engaged by how he describes his working methods, including the fallow periods of his creativity. Where Mr. Ellis and I part ways however is when he resorts to a woefully overextended passive-aggressive defense of his social media style with the tiresome "these are just opinions!" mantra. Though his takedowns of moneyed hypocrisy are thoroughly enjoyable, h ...more
    Matthew Wilder
    The first 100 pages or so assess the current state of things, and chronicle the author’s childhood and its development of his cultural taste—brilliant stuff. Unfortunately, this material is tethered to a lot of “Why is everyone so spazzed out about Trump?” Sure, Brentwood liberals are annoying. But how about wrapping Mexican babies in tin foil in cages, destroying the US government from within and hastening the demise of the planet’s environment? Is that just Lena Dunham having a moment?
    Andrew Shaffer
    Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I’m never disappointed by a new Ellis book, although this one does leave me wanting more. It’s a collection of essays, that at times reads like transcripts from his podcast. I wanted more—more autobiographical tidbits, more of Ellis’s thoughts on horror novels, more contrarian snark. Less movie talk (but that’s just me).
    Roger Bailey
    Apr 13, 2019 rated it liked it
    Ellis takes his rambling style and applies it to essays. Topics are all over the place from Charlie Sheen to Trump. One moment he's nihilistic not caring and the next he's angry. Overall he ends up sounding like a grumpy old men who thinks things were so much better back in the day. Only for the fan who has read all his novels and wants the few pieces of insight he gives amongst the rants.
    James Bauguss
    Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Ellis gets around to saying a lot of things that need to be said, meandering a bit. The message is already being lost on those who need to hear it - they are now calling him deranged. I agreed with much of what he said, but his analysis of American Psycho was nuts. He doesn’t know the first thing about American Psyco!
    Alex
    Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    His bizarre right-wing reactionary talking points occasionally get jumbled up with radical assessments that wouldn’t be out of place at an Occupy Wall Street rally, making this badly written memoir somewhat more interesting than it’s getting credit for. Somewhat.
    Michael
    Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
    3.5. I strongly agree that art, especially when determining its "worth," has been corrupted by politics and the perpetually offended. However, the term, "Generation Wuss," is lame and Ellis has spent way too much time on Twitter in the last decade and way too much time writing about it here.
    Ryan
    Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Been an avid listener of the podcast for years. “White” is more a political/social statement about the pussification of America in regards to group think, identity politics and Trump Hysteria...with a bit of memoir thrown in.
    Scott Warren
    Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I enjoyed this much more than I expected to. The original edge lord regaining some ground, and being pretty damn entertaining when whiles he’s at it. I thought the Tom Cruise and American Psycho bits were brilliant. Pleasantly surprised.
    « previous 1 3 4 next »
    • 100 Ideas that Changed Film
    • Spiral Jetta: A Road Trip through the Land Art of the American West
    • Hochdeutschland
    • الكوارث العالمية: مقدمة قصيرة جدًّا
    • No Such Thing as Silence: John Cage's 4'33"
    • Feminist Literary Theory: A Reader
    • Gentlemen
    • Stories in Stone: Travels Through Urban Geology
    • Cities Under Siege: The New Military Urbanism
    • The Essential Wrapped In Plastic: Pathways to Twin Peaks
    • Reclaiming Travel
    • The Book of Numbers: The Secret of Numbers and How They Changed the World
    • Dispatches from Dystopia: Histories of Places Not Yet Forgotten
    • 1001 Buildings You Must See Before You Die: The World's Architectural Masterpieces
    • Icons of Men's Style
    • Mind Games
    • Panati's Extraordinary Endings of Practically Everything and Everybody
    • The Dirty Secret
    Bret Easton Ellis is an American author. He is considered to be one of the major Generation X authors and was regarded as one of the so-called literary Brat Pack, which also included Tama Janowitz and Jay McInerney. He has called himself a moralist, although he has often been pegged as a nihilist. His characters are young, generally vacuous people, who are aware of their depravity but choose to en ...more
    “What often activated my stress was that other people were always angry about everything, presenting themselves as enraged by opinions that I believed in and liked or thought were simply innocuous. My pushback against all of this forced me to confront a degraded fantasy of myself—an actor, as someone I never thought existed—and this, in turn, became a constant reminder of my failings. And what was worse: this anger could become addictive to the point where I just gave up and sat there exhausted, mute with stress. But ultimately silence and submission were what the machine wanted.” 0 likes
    “It moved me away from the narcissism of childhood and into the world’s mysteries—the unexplained, the taboo, the other—and drew me closer to a place of understanding and acceptance.” 0 likes